Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

ouachiouat
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ouachiouat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:37 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 pm
A great role and performance but I would have guessed Ralph Fiennes had won for Schindler's List.
For supporting actor?
Fiennes was nominated for supporting actor for his role as Amon Goeth, losing to Jones. Neeson was nominated for leading actor as Oskar Schindler, but lost to Hanks for his role in Philadelphia.

This was the second FJ this week I've gotten before I even finished reading the clue (had to play off of jboard every night so far).

Also, welcome back from your hiatus, opus! I hope your Eastertide was excellent and restful. Good to see the penguin avatar again.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5757
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:44 pm

ouachiouat wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 pm
A great role and performance but I would have guessed Ralph Fiennes had won for Schindler's List.
For supporting actor?
Fiennes was nominated for supporting actor for his role as Amon Goeth, losing to Jones. Neeson was nominated for leading actor as Oskar Schindler, but lost to Hanks for his role in Philadelphia.
Oops. That does say Fiennes, doesn't it? I read it that way too, but my mind somehow pictured Neeson as I did so. All better now.

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 pm

28 right.

Mine-apolis (2), X-Y-Z Abbreviations (3), Transportation (3), King James Bible (2), Called (1), Chosen (3)
Books & Authors (2), Comic Strips (2), Organizations (3), Word Origins (3), Knowledge (1), Old Country (3)

Lach Trash: mopeds, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

Instaget FJ.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7365
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 pm
Galena = lead and French West Africa seemed obscure in the top box.
No, it wasn't and yeah, it probably was.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm

When I saw the word "Dahomey", I immediately began trying to remember whether it was Benin or Togo. As it turns out, matters were much simpler.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 pm

another softball final jeopardy clue

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm

I don't think it's possible to come up with a good final jeopardy bet in this situation unless you have more info about what your competitor is going to do.

If the obvious answer is "wager everything" that quickly falls apart because a person wagering 0 has better odds than a person wagering everything. The typical Jeopardy! contestant gets FJ correct 50% of the time. If you bet 0 and your opponent bets everything you have a 50% chance to win. Alternatively if you and your opponent bet everything then you have a 37.5% chance to win. There is a 25% chance that both players will miss and third place will win and the remaining 75% chance to win is split between the two leaders.

Of course the answer could still be "wager everything" because there is definitely a chance your opponent will not wager everything which also gives you a 50% chance to win.

If you wager $0 and your opponent also wagers $0 your odds of winning are 50%.

Your ideal wager changes drastically depending on whether or not your competitor will wager everything. I'm going to say that the ideal wager is $0 but if you have some way of knowing your opponent will not bet everything then your ideal wager is to bet everything.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 pm

28 R
DD: 1/3 (Silicon Valley)
FJ: :(
LT: Epistemology, Africa, Sicilies

Ran Few are Chosen and Old Country.

0/5 in Many are Called.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 pm

MattKnowles wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm
I don't think it's possible to come up with a good final jeopardy bet in this situation unless you have more info about what your competitor is going to do.

If the obvious answer is "wager everything" that quickly falls apart because a person wagering 0 has better odds than a person wagering everything. The typical Jeopardy! contestant gets FJ correct 50% of the time. If you bet 0 and your opponent bets everything you have a 50% chance to win. Alternatively if you and your opponent bet everything then you have a 37.5% chance to win. There is a 25% chance that both players will miss and third place will win and the remaining 75% chance to win is split between the two leaders.

Of course the answer could still be "wager everything" because there is definitely a chance your opponent will not wager everything which also gives you a 50% chance to win.

If you wager $0 and your opponent also wagers $0 your odds of winning are 50%.

Your ideal wager changes drastically depending on whether or not your competitor will wager everything. I'm going to say that the ideal wager is $0 but if you have some way of knowing your opponent will not bet everything then your ideal wager is to bet everything.
Nothing about category confidence?

Does your wagering strategy change depending on the gender of your opponent?

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm
When I saw the word "Dahomey", I immediately began trying to remember whether it was Benin or Togo. As it turns out, matters were much simpler.
It was Benin.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2801
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:17 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm
The author Arielle mentioned during chat time has two hits in the Archive:

#7720, aired 2018-03-16 AFRICAN-AMERICAN LITERATURE $2000: This author of "Kindred" & "Xenogenesis" combined African-American culture with science fiction themes

#3281, aired 1998-12-07 AFRICAN-AMERICAN WRITERS $800: Octavia Butler writes novels like "Clay's Ark" & "Patternmaster" in this genre

Both clues were TS, so look for her again in 2038.
It's been announced that Ava DuVernay will make Dawn as a TV series, so Arielle may have reason to be happy and we may get another clue in sooner than 20 years.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/ava-duverna ... 202145539/

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1298
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:57 am

Maybe not if it’s not as disastrous as A Wrinkle In Time. Easy FJ again. Dahomey was a major African empire and as noted above, Benin was initially called Dahomey upon independence. I was glad to see big bets on FJ.

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:03 am

Golf wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 pm
MattKnowles wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:45 pm
SpoilerShow
I don't think it's possible to come up with a good final jeopardy bet in this situation unless you have more info about what your competitor is going to do.

If the obvious answer is "wager everything" that quickly falls apart because a person wagering 0 has better odds than a person wagering everything. The typical Jeopardy! contestant gets FJ correct 50% of the time. If you bet 0 and your opponent bets everything you have a 50% chance to win. Alternatively if you and your opponent bet everything then you have a 37.5% chance to win. There is a 25% chance that both players will miss and third place will win and the remaining 75% chance to win is split between the two leaders.

Of course the answer could still be "wager everything" because there is definitely a chance your opponent will not wager everything which also gives you a 50% chance to win.

If you wager $0 and your opponent also wagers $0 your odds of winning are 50%.

Your ideal wager changes drastically depending on whether or not your competitor will wager everything. I'm going to say that the ideal wager is $0 but if you have some way of knowing your opponent will not bet everything then your ideal wager is to bet everything.
Nothing about category confidence?

Does your wagering strategy change depending on the gender of your opponent?
The typical Jeopardy contestant gets FJ right about 50% of the time. If that 50% number is not valid then neither is the wagering strategy I mentioned. Some people on this forum seem to get FJ right 80% of the time or more and they would want to wager everything.

I would bring up category confidence for DD wagering because I think you can have pretty good confidence in the category. In FJ I don't know if category confidence is helpful. I can't speak for others but for me the FJ clues can be tricky and they seem to make things harder for some standard categories. My success on FJ doesn't seem to have much correlation with category and I wouldn't adjust my wager for FJ based on the category.

I'm not sure why you brought up gender. If one gender is statistically unlikely to wager all-in then it would make sense to adjust your wagering strategy to account for that. I have not looked at Jeopardy! statistics by gender and I wouldn't change my strategy based on that with the incomplete information I have.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:06 am

Out of curiosity, was anyone at taping for this episode? The first clue in Comic Strips felt really incongruous to the rest of the category -- it was a word origin clue when all the rest of the clues dealt with actual comic strip characters in some way. So I wonder if maybe the top box was a half assed replacement?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:45 am

econgator wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:29 pm
Words cannot express how much I was hoping he got that right.
Same. I like to see optimal wagers rewarded over poorer ones. Kristin dodged not a bullet, but a mortar round there!
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:15 pm
Today's Pavlov I couldn't pull: Theodore Dreiser + sibling = Sister Carrie.
Alternatively, one could simply read the book. It's quite good, and a significant, influential classic.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:05 am

On a different note, when one says a FJ is "pop culture", is that the case for all movie-related questions, or just sufficiently recent ones?

As for FJ betting, one should probably only bet $0 if their confidence is well below 50% for the category. Which is possible, but certainly unlikely, given that it's a conventional category almost everyone has watched a lot of, and is reasonably easy to get good at.

At 50%, $0 not only makes one vulnerable to a co-leader who is even decent at movies (likely), shifting the odds of victory between the two scenarios. (If your chances of getting the FJ is 50%, but the other person's is 70%, betting $0 against their all-in bet has a 30% chance of victory, while betting everything against their all-in bet has a 32.5% chance of victory)

However, this ignores the massive difference between winning $18,000 and $36,000, with the latter figure being an extra day's worth of winnings.

Since the mode of Jeopardy days won is 1, the median is between 1 and 1.5, and even the mean is less than 2, unless a player is supremely confident he/she will be a superchampion, the difference in payouts has to be considered very heavily.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:15 pm
Coryat: 40,800
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: knock, mopeds, Mario Puzo (DD), epistemology, Africa

Jack saved Kristin from a lifetime of heartbreak and regret. Leaving that dollar on the table should have sent her home, but Jack couldn't find the correct response in any gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse, or doghouse in his brain.

Today's Pavlov I couldn't pull: Theodore Dreiser + sibling = Sister Carrie.
never heard of that dude or that book before

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1394
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 am

I had the solution as soon as I saw "Tommy Lee Jones".
Thought a tiebreaker was coming for sure until I saw Kristen's wager. :roll:
bigblue999 wrote: I don’t understand why in a tie after DJ! contestants bet all but $1 to avoid the tiebreaker clue. Kristen was lucky that Jack got it wrong.
Worse yet, she risked a tiebreaker with Arielle if it stumped all three.

User avatar
lisa0012
3rd Time's the Charm?
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lisa0012 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:43 am

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm
When I saw the word "Dahomey", I immediately began trying to remember whether it was Benin or Togo. As it turns out, matters were much simpler.
When i see the word "Dahomey" i sing "Namibia", then finish the Animaniacs Nations of the World song.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5628
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:37 am

Shortly after The Fugitive came out, I had business in Chicago and was staying at the Chicago Hilton. When I checked in, they gave me a coupon for a free PPV movie. So I said what the hell, and ordered up The Fugitive (being the best of the options). I was quite surprised when the movie got to the end and the climactic scene took place in the hotel I was in. Besides it being a great movie, this will always keep it indelibly in my mind.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alexOi, Baidu [Spider], CraigLOxia, dinghammer, earendel, mujason, SenseiCAY, This Is Kirk! and 26 guests