Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

JyV92 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 am Re-:Rudolph Valentino being before one's time…
Rudolph Valentino is before your time if you are under 97 years old. It's not like we're talking about Paul Newman.
Yep. Valentino remains fair game not because we remember him directly but because he's part of the canon of pop culture. Not sure how long that'll be true. He got a mention in the 1986 Bangles song "Manic Monday." But even back then, I wonder how many listeners understood the reference.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 am
JyV92 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 am Re-:Rudolph Valentino being before one's time…
Rudolph Valentino is before your time if you are under 97 years old. It's not like we're talking about Paul Newman.
Yep. Valentino remains fair game not because we remember him directly but because he's part of the canon of pop culture. Not sure how long that'll be true. He got a mention in the 1986 Bangles song "Manic Monday." But even back then, I wonder how many listeners understood the reference.
If he drops out of pop culture, he's firmly ensconced in movie history, along with much else from the silent era.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

His death probably had a lot to do with his achieving iconic status.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 am
If he drops out of pop culture, he's firmly ensconced in movie history, along with much else from the silent era.
Slightly off topic: It's a shame so many of those old films have been lost. I wonder how many of them you would need to make a viable Silent Movie Channel.
OCSam
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm
davey wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 am
Slightly off topic: It's a shame so many of those old films have been lost. I wonder how many of them you would need to make a viable Silent Movie Channel.
We're lucky to have Turner Classic Movies, which plays at least one silent film a week, late Sunday nights. This week: Greed!

And then there's this!
http://www.openculture.com/free-silent-films
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm We're lucky to have Turner Classic Movies, which plays at least one silent film a week, late Sunday nights. This week: Greed!

And then there's this!
http://www.openculture.com/free-silent-films
THX for the tips.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Beau Brummel was mentioned in Billy Joel’s “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me”, that and a mention in a very early Garfield strip has helped me get him right at least once watching J! I’d like to think that he’s also part of pop culture, way before everyone’s time, and most people don’t know him. (I wouldn’t be surprised if he usually shows up on the bottom half of boards)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 am Beau Brummel was mentioned in Billy Joel’s “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me”, that and a mention in a very early Garfield strip has helped me get him right at least once watching J! I’d like to think that he’s also part of pop culture, way before everyone’s time, and most people don’t know him. (I wouldn’t be surprised if he usually shows up on the bottom half of boards)
There was a pop group in the 1960s called the Beau Brummels. (Sometimes thought to be a "British Invasion" band, but they were from San Francisco.) This is the one song of theirs that ever gets played on the radio in these modern times:

JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Reading through, I thought I would share a fine distinction. Central America usually refers to countries between Mexico and Colombia. Mesoamerica though includes Mexico
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:45 am
dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 am Beau Brummel was mentioned in Billy Joel’s “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me”, that and a mention in a very early Garfield strip has helped me get him right at least once watching J! I’d like to think that he’s also part of pop culture, way before everyone’s time, and most people don’t know him. (I wouldn’t be surprised if he usually shows up on the bottom half of boards)
There was a pop group in the 1960s called the Beau Brummels. (Sometimes thought to be a "British Invasion" band, but they were from San Francisco.) This is the one song of theirs that ever gets played on the radio in these modern times:

OK, this is weird ... I clicked on the thread to read Jerome's comment, and what song did I have playing when I did so? The Beau Brummels singing "Laugh, Laugh".