Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7735, 2018-04-06

CONTESTANTS
Dominick Fiorentino, a consultant from Washington, D.C.
Andrews Landsman, an actor and writer from Sherman Oaks, California
Kristin Robbins, an attorney from Red Bank, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $36,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. Like the stock market, on Jeopardy! every day brings some new kind of record. We've had big wins all of this week. Kristin, case in point for yesterday. Andrews and Dominick, welcome, gentlemen. Good luck. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S GOT ELECTROLYTES (5/5)
ANCIENT STUFF (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NEW TO THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY (3/5)
SAN CITY, CALIFORNIA (5/5)
GREED, OH! (4/5)
SHOT FIRST (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the movie that was first.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrews: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W
Kristin: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dominick: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Kristin had $2,600, Andrews had $200, and Dominick had a deficit with -$400. Kristin wagered $1,000.

ANCIENT STUFF $600: Epictetus was a leading thinker of this stonefaced group & his philosophic talks influenced Emperor Marcus Aurelius
(Kristin: Who is... the Roman Senate?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristin: $2,600
Andrews: $800
Dominick: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our two gentlemen challengers on the program today have both spent time studying in Europe. Dominck Fiorentino, you were in France?

Dominick: Yes, I was in Nant, France. I did a homestay there, so I stayed with a family and they cooked dinner for me every night. And my host mom actually gave me a wonderful gift. Every night, whatever dinner she made, she wrote the recipe in a little notebook and then gave it to me at the end of the trip.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Andrews Landsman, actor and writer from Sherman Oaks. With you, it was not France, it was...

Andrews: Czechoslovakia, Prague.

Alex: Ah. And what was that experience like?

Andrews: Some of the best months of my life. Most beautiful city I've been to, outside of my hometown of New York, of course. And I studied drama with a teacher as a player would have done in a cafe drinking slivovitz and...

Alex: Ah. Okay, good for you.

Alex: Kristin Robbins is an attorney and our champion. Has a love of movies, and in particular, what?

Kristin: Really love '80s horror movies.

Alex: Which would be what? Christopher Lee and all the Dracula things? Or is that too late?

Kristin: That's a little early.

Alex: It is?

Kristin: Things like Friday the 13th, all of the old classics. Nightmare on Elm Street, that kind of thing.

Alex: The more blood, the more gore, the better you like it?

Kristin: Kind of.

Alex: Good enough for me.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANCIENT STUFF $1000: Subject of a lesser-known Shakespeare play, he was a 1st-century king of Britain & father of Caractacus
(Andrews: Who is Timon?)

NEW TO THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY $800: This baseball word for a ball hit directly to the pitcher
(Kristin: What's a line drive?)

NEW TO THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY $1000: This hyphenated term describing a political environment in which facts are less important than belief
(Alex: We have about a minute to go.)

GREED, OH! $1000: The greedy wolf Isengrim is the antagonist of this medieval fox
(Andrews: Who is Machiavelli?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kristin: $3,800
Dominick: $2,600
Andrews: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VINTAGE CARS WITH PEDIGREES (3/5) (Alex: At the Nethercutt Collection, right here in Southern California.)
THEIR BIGGEST BILLBOARD HITS (3/3)
WOMEN POETS (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NATIONAL RHYME TIME (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
UNUSUAL ANIMALS (4/5)
IOU "AE" (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Dominick: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Andrews: 6 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrews snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Kristin had $3,800, Andrews had $2,600, and Dominick was at $2,600. Andrews made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

WOMEN POETS $1200: Often compared to another New England poet, Maxine Kumin was dubbed this, the female equivalent of his name
(Andrews: Who is Robert Frost?)
(Alex: No, the female equivalent. Who is [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dominick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Kristin had $4,600, Andrews was in the red with -$2,400, and Dominick was at $5,000. Dominick wagered $2,000.

NATIONAL RHYME TIME $1600: A strategy in Darfur
(Alex: Dominick?)
(Dominick: [No answer])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN POETS $400: She began a poem, "Because I could not stop for Death--he kindly stopped for me"

WOMEN POETS $1600: Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "On the Death of" this poet mentions "that Harold's pilgrimage at last is o'er"
(Andrews: Who is Milton?)

NATIONAL RHYME TIME $2000: A task done regularly in an island city-state of Asia

VINTAGE CARS WITH PEDIGREES $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from the Nethercutt Collection.) A skilled mechanic who liked to work on his own cars, this silent film star of "The Sheik" was at the height of his career when he bought the 1923 Voisin, whose cobra hood ornament was a gift from Douglas Fairbanks & Mary Pickford

VINTAGE CARS WITH PEDIGREES $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from the Nethercutt Collection.) Exhibited at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair where it was the hit of the show, the SJ, a model of this car, was nicknamed the "Twenty Grand" for its asking price, making it a real doozy

UNUSUAL ANIMALS $2000: Although it's easy to find on Youtube, in real life, the slow type of this primate is endangered
(Andrews: What is sloth?)
(Dominick: What's a lemur?)

WOMEN POETS $2000: Known for her confessional poetry, she won a 2013 Pulitzer Prize for "Stag's Leap", a book of poems about her divorce
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kristin: $8,600 (lock game)
Dominick: $3,400
Andrews: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CENTRAL AMERICAN GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Kristin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Dominick: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Andrews: You've no hope of catching up... unless Dominick does something stupid. So risk $1,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One active, one dormant, Madera & Concepcion are volcanoes in this body of water that shares its name with a country

FINAL SCORES
Andrews: $1,600 + $868 = $2,468 (What is Lake Nicaragua) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dominick: $3,400 - $199 = $3,201 (What is the Gulf of Mexico?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kristin: $8,600 - $5 = $8,595 (What is the Gulf of Honduras?) (2-day champion: $44,994)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kristin: $9,600, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dominick: $5,400, 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Andrews: $4,200, 17 R, 9 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $19,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrews: 18/59 = .305
Kristin: 14/59 = .237
Dominick: 11/59 = .186
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ANCIENT STUFF $400: Demosthenes urged the Greeks to fight, lest they be enslaved by this 359 to 336 B.C. Macedonian king & famous dad
(Alex: [*], the father of Alexander.)

SHOT FIRST $400: "La La Land",
"Zombieland",
"Tomorrowland"
(Dominick: What is Tomorrowland?)

SHOT FIRST $800: "Encino Man",
"Rain Man",
"Repo Man"
(Andrews: What is Rain Man?)

IT'S GOT ELECTROLYTES $400: Calcium is one of the many healthful things in this fish

SAN CITY, CALIFORNIA $800: This type of bird famously returns to city of San Juan Capistrano each year in March

NEW TO THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY $400: This brand of sharp knife with a pseudo-Japanese name
(Andrews: What is... Shinto?)

UNUSUAL ANIMALS $800: Naked mole rats thrive in low-oxygen areas by switching the fueling of cells from glucose to this fruit sugar
(Andrews: What is sucrose?)

VINTAGE CARS WITH PEDIGREES $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents from the Nethercutt Collection.) Just as the Great Depression hit, Cadillac unveiled its luxurious V-16; one of the first ordered was this beauty by this famed director of Biblical epics like "The Ten Commandments"

VINTAGE CARS WITH PEDIGREES $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Nethercutt Collection.) The Nethercutt's 1928 Pierce Arrow was bedecked with flowers to carry the grand marshal of the 2010 Rose Parade, this heroic airline pilot who fit the parade's theme, "A Cut Above the Rest"
(Andrews: Who is Lindbergh?)

VINTAGE CARS WITH PEDIGREES $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Nethercutt Collection.) The 1930 Dupont Model G town car, personally restored by J.B. Nethercutt over 18 months, was featured in the 1982 film "Annie" as the car of this wealthy character

UNUSUAL ANIMALS $1600: The unusual blue blood of the horseshoe type of this is used to detect bacterial toxins & test drugs for purity
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Stoics
Cymbeline
a comebacker
post-truth
Reynard the fox
Roberta Frost
a Sudan plan
Emily Dickinson
Lord Byron
Singapore chore
Rudolph Valentino
a Duesenberg
a loris
Sharon Olds
Lake Nicaragua
Philip
Zombieland
Repo Man
sardines
a swallow
a Ginsu knife
fructose
(Cecil B.) DeMille
(Sully) Sullenberger
Daddy Warbucks
crab
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CENTRAL AMERICAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One active, one dormant, Madera & Concepcion are volcanoes in this body of water that shares its name with a country

Kristin Robbins: 8600-5=8595 (2x = $44,994)
Andrews Landsman: 1600+868=2468
Dominick Fiorentino: 3400-199=3201

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lake Nicaragua (Kristin – Gulf of Honduras) (Dominick – Gulf of Mexico)

Daily Doubles
Kristin: 2600-1000
Andrews: 2600-2600
Dominick: 5000-2000

Coryats
Kristin: 9600
Andrews: 4200
Dominick: 5400

Combined: 19,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kristin: 3800
Andrews: 1800
Dominick: 2600
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Andrews negged himself out of the match to waste his chance to win on the sole solve of the FJ! clue. The guess of Lindbergh for the still living famous pilot for minus 1200 and plus 1200 to Kristin on the rebound may be one of several sore spots in the game for Andrews to revisit. The all-in loss on DD2 cost Andrews the chance to win as well.

When I saw the FJ! category I used the break to make sure I knew the countries and to know the neighbors in case it was one of those border type clues. The capital cities were also in my back pocket if needed although silly as it is I ruled out Costa Rica because of the earlier Sharks clue.

The volcano names meant nothing to me so I used the latter part of the clue to match body of water & country name. Done, as even I can handle that one.

2-week break for seeing Kristin go for the threepeat and instead it’s younger folks on Monday. I should use the weekend to study up on music in the 2010s and all those Netflix/Hulu shows I’ve never seen. It’s below my dignity to bother with the text slang abbreviations and acronyms. We can look forward to 61 clues a game x 5.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 pm Andrews negged himself out of the match to waste his chance to win on the sole solve of the FJ! clue. The guess of Lindbergh for the still living famous pilot for minus 1200 and plus 1200 to Kristin on the rebound may be one of several sore spots in the game for Andrews to revisit. The all-in loss on DD2 cost Andrews the chance to win as well.
Probably should have been negged for his pronunciation of "nebulae". He made it sound singular.

Missed FJ, going with Gulf of Honduras.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Why couldn't I have been up there to play this board? After the hard one last night this one was right up my alley. I am sad though that the pop music category had unrevealed clues.

I got FJ, but was not completely confident on it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Shot First was ridiculously YEKIOYD. NHO any of those films in the top box that I recall.

Balboa Park = zoo was very obscure. Any way I was supposed to know that?

Billboard Hits and Unusual Animals gave me more hope in DJ! but I still couldn't hack it. Didn't realize Norah Jones had any hits at all, and NHO loris.

Lach Trash: Reynard the fox, Emily Dickinson

Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama... YET AGAIN I pull every country in Central America but the right one.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Stoics), Cymbeline, Reynard, Emily Dickinson, Lord Byron, (Sudan Plan), Singapore Chore, Rudolph Valentino

Ran Ancient Stuff and National Rhyme Time.
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

StevenH wrote: I am sad though that the pop music category had unrevealed clues.
When the category was revealed, I was expecting it to be a multiple choice; name one out of three songs. It turned out to be just an identify the group from the song. Not as fun. Then all the songs were gen X or newer so I wasn't going to get anywhere with that.

When was the last game to have all three final wagers less than $1000? Is there a way to determine if the total amount wagered ($1,072) is lower than any previous lowest amount?
BobF

Post by BobF »

I think this is a first for me, for regular competition. Two straight 5 for 5 weeks! I'll have to check the FJ from 2 weeks ago to see if I have an 11 game streak going.

I did briefly consider Panama Canal (what was I thinking) and then Gulf of Mexico just to have something, then just ran through the 6 CA countries in my head and figured out the right one.

ETA: Nope, just a 10 game streak.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm When was the last game to have all three final wagers less than $1000? Is there a way to determine if the total amount wagered ($1,072) is lower than any previous lowest amount?
This past March 2, the largest FJ wager was $850. Among Archived games, the lowest total amount wagered in a three-person Final Jeopardy was $80, on December 19, 2007 (like tonight, it was a double lock game). The lowest total in a game with all three players in contention was $1,400, on March 5, 2008.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

another win from fourth podium:
Stoics DD, comebacker, Reynard, Emily Dickenson (this is poetry 101, no way this should be a TS), Lord Byron which they just had a couple weeks ago , Sudan Plan DD, Rudolph Valentino, Dusenberg for 9200 trash.
Given this game , wasn't sure where they were going, but it was a creampuff that only one player got.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

not sure why someone went with gulf of mexico...mexico is not part of central america...the only body of water with a central american country in its name that i could come up with was the correct answer...never knew there was a gulf of honduras...learn something new every day i guess
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Painful to watch and lots of Lach trash. Instaget FJ. As AP would say, Subarus.
Last edited by Woof on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Andrews reminded me of the guy who got booted from Survivor last night. At least he ended up playing FJ. Surprising that he was the sole solve on Lake Nicaragua. Lots of really easy clues this game so it was disappointing to watch.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 pm Andrews negged himself out of the match to waste his chance to win on the sole solve of the FJ! clue. The guess of Lindbergh for the still living famous pilot for minus 1200 and plus 1200 to Kristin on the rebound may be one of several sore spots in the game for Andrews to revisit. The all-in loss on DD2 cost Andrews the chance to win as well.
Probably should have been negged for his pronunciation of "nebulae". He made it sound singular.
Agreed. I expected a reversal on that.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

BobF wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 pmI did briefly consider Panama Canal (what was I thinking)
The image of an active volcano in the Panama Canal made me chuckle.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Not a fun game to watch. While that clicker is behind your back, Andrews, it still counts and you have to answer with wild guesses if you can't CLAM. Kristin just stayed out of her own way and played a comfortable game that was enough for a low rent runaway.

FJ was a complete guess after I racked my brain trying to think of the name of the lake that the Panama Canal is attached to. I finally remembered the "Culebra cut", which helped not at all and I couldn't quite pull the lake name (Gatun Lake per Google just now) so I picked Nicaragua without realizing it had water in the name. Yes, there is a Lake Nicaragua (apparently).

I thought giving Andrews the nebula(e) response was OK. Why BMS the obvious. He got spanked for Roberta Frost which I think was a bit of a trap clue. I would CLAM if you just asked me the female equivalent of Robert, at least until I knew the rules of engagement.

I hope OPUS will unpause his DVR freeze frame on the can of sardines and watch the rest of the game soon.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 pm I thought giving Andrews the nebula(e) response was OK. Why BMS the obvious.
I don't think it should have been a BMS, it should have been an outright neg. He said "nebula," not "nebulae" and "nebula" doesn't fit the category.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,800
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stoics (DD), comebacker, Roberta Frost (DD), Emily Dickinson, Sudan plan (DD), Singapore chore, Rudolph Valentino, Duesenberg

Yikes. Since it's Wrestlemania weekend, I think it's fair to call this game "bowling shoe ugly." Andrew's guess of Lindbergh for the guy in the color photo who was the Grand Marshal of the 2010 Tournament of Roses Parade took the cake. I was also shocked none of the three of them, including the contestant who gravitated to the Women Poets category, could come up with Emily Dickinson given her most famous poem.

Female + "wit" = Dorothy Parker, every single time.

Likewise, island city-state = Singapore.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 pm The capital cities were also in my back pocket if needed although silly as it is I ruled out Costa Rica because of the earlier Sharks clue.
Not silly at all. That's a savvy observation.
Sprinkles are for winners.