Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, April 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

Missed FJ. For some reason I thought it was Lake Managua. Then I went to Gulf of Mexico. I think the clue boiled down to "name the most famous body of water in Central America named for its country." The Gulf of Mexico isn't technically Central American Geography and Lake Nicaragua is more well known than the Gulf of Honduras.

I'd like to request a poll question to see how many people knew Lake Nicaragua had a connection to those volcanoes.

Missed Rudolph Valentino. He was way before my time but he's come up so often that it should be an easy one. I didn't pull Elmer Gantry fast enough because I thought of Tom Jones first. Missed Sudan Plan with South Sudan Plan because I thought Darfur was in South Sudan. Missed the San Diego Zoo and guessed Sea World instead. That reminds me I should go to the San Diego Zoo. Andrews definitely said nebula instead of nebulae and it didn't fit the category. I didn't know how to pronounce nebulae and had to look it up. Alex and the judges being lenient with pronunciation is fine with me. There was a clue within the last few weeks that had a response of "Aeon" and I found out I've been pronouncing it in my head wrong for years. It's pronounced eon. I thought it was more like ayon.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 am
Yikes. Since it's Wrestlemania weekend, I think it's fair to call this game "bowling shoe ugly."
That precise term crossed my mind, too.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Andrew's guess of Lindbergh for the guy in the color photo who was the Grand Marshal of the 2010 Tournament of Roses Parade took the cake.
That was certainly the most memorable, although the guess of Machiavelli for a medieval fox and the guess of "Timon" for a king of Britain were also eyebrow-raising.

I normally laud contestants for being aggressive and going for it, but in order to do so, one needs to have an inkling on what the answer might be. Some of those weren't even guesses, but just random names having nothing to do with the clue.

Considering I got this geography FJ fairly easily, I was surprised it was a sole solve.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:39 am Missed FJ. For some reason I thought it was Lake Managua. Then I went to Gulf of Mexico. I think the clue boiled down to "name the most famous body of water in Central America named for its country." The Gulf of Mexico isn't technically Central American Geography and Lake Nicaragua is more well known than the Gulf of Honduras.

I'd like to request a poll question to see how many people knew Lake Nicaragua had a connection to those volcanoes.

Missed Rudolph Valentino. He was way before my time but he's come up so often that it should be an easy one. I didn't pull Elmer Gantry fast enough because I thought of Tom Jones first. Missed Sudan Plan with South Sudan Plan because I thought Darfur was in South Sudan. Missed the San Diego Zoo and guessed Sea World instead. That reminds me I should go to the San Diego Zoo. Andrews definitely said nebula instead of nebulae and it didn't fit the category. I didn't know how to pronounce nebulae and had to look it up. Alex and the judges being lenient with pronunciation is fine with me. There was a clue within the last few weeks that had a response of "Aeon" and I found out I've been pronouncing it in my head wrong for years. It's pronounced eon. I thought it was more like ayon.
same for me...was an instaget for me, though
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 am Andrew's guess of Lindbergh for the guy in the color photo who was the Grand Marshal of the 2010 Tournament of Roses Parade took the cake.
I'd say that's an excellent example of "under the lights". If you asked him that at home, I'm sure he'd never have said that. I'm sure he knows that Lindy wasn't alive in 2010. I'm sure he'd recognize the picture wasn't Lindy. Instead, he blurted out something that made no sense at all. The Lights.

The San Diego Zoo is a sucky place to visit in the rain. The whole premise of the zoo is that it never rains there, so everything is outside. All of the animals have no idea what rain is, so they cower in a corner of their cage, pretty much invisible to visitors. (And for the record, it wasn't raining until after we got there.) There. I feel better now.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 pm
Probably should have been negged for his pronunciation of "nebulae". He made it sound singular.
I expected a BMS. Given the "ae" category I think a neg might have been in order.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm not sure why someone went with gulf of mexico...mexico is not part of central america...the only body of water with a central american country in its name that i could come up with was the correct answer...never knew there was a gulf of honduras...learn something new every day i guess
I wondered about this. Is Mexico considered part of NORTH America or CENTRAL? I thought North but wasn't sure.

On this clue I ruled out Gulf of Mexico for that reason. My first thought was Lake Nicaragua. I thought also about Gulf of Panama, although I'm not sure there is such a thing. Went with Lake N. to go 5-for-5 on FJ this week. Whew!

Few thoughts on this game.:

Even if you don't recall "Sully" Sullenberger you should certainly be able to tell that a photo of him is NOT a photo of Charles Lindbergh, one of the most famous and recognizable people and faces of the last century. Anybody can miss, but that was a whopper.

I precalled Dusenberg and was happy to pick up $2K in LT on that one.

I also precalled (sort of) Emily Dickinson. "Sorta" because as soon as the category was revealed I started trying to remember the Amherst poetess and could remember her work and reputation but not her name. Dang.

NHO "Roberta Frost" but that was pretty easy to figure out.

I wonder if anyone has ever before won two games with such a disparity between the totals as Kristin in her two wins: almost $30K difference between #1 and #2.

When I saw the clue asking for a 2-word phrase in which---how did they phrase it?---facts were less important than beliefs, they were looking for "post-truth," but I halfway expected "Trump World."

Guess J! writers don't get that political.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm not sure why someone went with gulf of mexico...mexico is not part of central america...the only body of water with a central american country in its name that i could come up with was the correct answer...never knew there was a gulf of honduras...learn something new every day i guess
I wondered about this. Is Mexico considered part of NORTH America or CENTRAL? I thought North but wasn't sure.
It's both. Central America is part of North America. Central America extends from Mexico in the north to Panama in the south, but all of it is considered part of NA.

edit: it looks like there's some debate whether to include Mexico in Central America or not. Most sources don't include it as part of Central America.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:01 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm
It's both. Central America is part of North America. Central America extends from Mexico in the north to Panama in the south, but all of it is considered part of NA.

edit: it looks like there's some debate whether to include Mexico in Central America or not. Most sources don't include it as part of Central America.
My seventh-grade sociology teacher did, but he had a precolumbian viewpoint -- we tended to focus on the Maya and Aztecs as "central American civilizations," even though their territories includes swaths of Mexico.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why is it that every time the category is Central America, I manage to pull every country BUT the right one?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Electrolytes (2), Ancient (4), Oxford English Dictionary (1), San City, California (4), Greed (4), Shot First (3)
Vintage Cars (2), Billboard (1), Women Poets (2), National Rhyme Time (4), Animals (0), IOU "AE" (0)

Lach Trash: Emily Dickinson, Singapore chore; Daily Doubles: Stoics, Roberta Frost

I took a guess with Lake Nicaragua; if I had thought of the Gulf of Mexico first, I'd probably chosen that instead.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wonder if Andrews just got his wires crossed on aviators with "berg" in their names, like the Teen Tournament guy who said "Nicole Kidman" instead of "Natalie Portman" (and then swore, uncensored, about it).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm
Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm When was the last game to have all three final wagers less than $1000? Is there a way to determine if the total amount wagered ($1,072) is lower than any previous lowest amount?
This past March 2, the largest FJ wager was $850. Among Archived games, the lowest total amount wagered in a three-person Final Jeopardy was $80, on December 19, 2007 (like tonight, it was a double lock game). The lowest total in a game with all three players in contention was $1,400, on March 5, 2008.
I believe it was Matt Jackson who often made $5 bets, and he often got a majority of the game's DDs, so there might be a game of his that's lowers.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 21, W:5, costing 3200
Coryat: 12,200
FJ: :(
DD: 1/3
LT: stoics, comebacker, Duesenberg

I was joining Andrews with a few too many misses in the J! round. Fortunately, mine were there and not in the DJ round. The DJ round was not in my wheelhouse at all. I hate these rhyme clues - not figuring any of them out again this time. Naturally, I stared at the poets, and was mercifully cut off on the billboard hits.

Very frustrated at the car category. Only one clue was really about the car. The rest were name this person type of clues. I still got 3 right there (including recognizing Chesley Sullenberger and knowing that a Doozy is a Duesenberg).

Put me down for the Gulf of Mexico in FJ. Had no idea what else to guess.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:36 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm
Category 13 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm When was the last game to have all three final wagers less than $1000? Is there a way to determine if the total amount wagered ($1,072) is lower than any previous lowest amount?
This past March 2, the largest FJ wager was $850. Among Archived games, the lowest total amount wagered in a three-person Final Jeopardy was $80, on December 19, 2007 (like tonight, it was a double lock game). The lowest total in a game with all three players in contention was $1,400, on March 5, 2008.
I believe it was Matt Jackson who often made $5 bets, and he often got a majority of the game's DDs, so there might be a game of his that's lowers.
1. They're talking about the sum of FJ wagers by the three contestants.
2. Matt Jackson wagered $5 on a DD exactly once.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

For those questioning the non-neg or non-reversal on “nebulae”: I suspect that TPTB decided that they couldn’t reverse the call because the pronunciation of the “ae” ligature/diphthong is not really standardized in English - yes, it is commonly pronounced as a long “e”, but one can find plenty of support for long “i” or short “a” as legitimate English pronunciation too. I think the writers outsmarted themselves on this one.
Last edited by cthulhu on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm Shot First was ridiculously YEKIOYD.
I ran the category, but...yeah, no real TOM on any of them.
Balboa Park = zoo was very obscure. Any way I was supposed to know that?
San Diego is the eighth largest US city by population and has perhaps the most famous zoo in the US; I think the TOM is there - the clue mentions the size and number of visitors, so “large, very popular San Diego attraction” is more-or-less Pavlov for “zoo”. Its location in Balboa Park is pretty well known too, as is the park itself.

ETA: I responded here before finding the replies in the TPH education thread :oops:
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

John Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 pm I wonder if anyone has ever before won two games with such a disparity between the totals as Kristin in her two wins: almost $30K difference between #1 and #2.
The $27,804 difference between Kristin's first two wins is the sixth largest since the doubling of the clue values:

Code: Select all

Contestant         1st Win    2nd Win   Difference
---------------------------------------------------
Maria Wenglinsky   $ 6,000    $46,600    $40,600
Roger Craig	   $37,000    $77,000    $40,000
Tim Kutz	   $46,599    $16,900    $29,699
Susan Mitchell	   $30,100    $   599    $29,501
Philip Tiu	   $21,198    $49,900    $28,702
Kristin Robbins    $36,399    $ 8,595    $27,804
Some of the biggest pre-doubling differences after two wins are David Nixon's $19,200 ($21,800 -> $2,600), John Skelton's $21,000 ($10,000 -> $31,000), and Kevin Frear's $21,700 ($6,100 -> $27,800).

The largest difference between any two consecutive wins came when Ken followed up his record $75K game with a mere $10,001 (that is also the record for any two wins by one contestant).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Some other pre-doubling "any two wins" disparities greater than $20,000:
Elise Beraru: $3,000 and $23,800 (games 5 and 3)
Cathy Boggs: $100 and $20,600 (games 4 and 2)
Jerome Vered: $7,000 and $34,000 (games 2 and 4) (this is surely the biggest one pre-doubling)
Michael Daunt: $6,399 and $27,400 (games 1 and 3)
Pam Mifflin: $2,400 and $22,600 (games 3 and 2)
Doug Lach: $7,500 and $32,600 (games 3 and 2)
Michael Arnone: $2,800 and $24,999 (games 5 and 3)

And Kevin Frear made $7,300 in two wins after his $27,800 win, so there has to be at least one even greater disparity than the one cited above, though the exact amount can't be derived from what is available to me.
If Jack Lechner had gotten his third FJ right, he would have had $3,201 and $42,500 in back-to-back games.
davey

Post by davey »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 pm For those questioning the non-neg or non-reversal on “nebulae”: I suspect that TPTB decided that they couldn’t reverse the call because the pronunciation of the “ae” ligature/diphthong is not really standardized in English - yes, it is commonly pronounced as a long “e”, but one can find plenty of support for long “i” or short “a” as legitimate English pronunciation too. I think the writers outsmarted themselves on this one.
Don't you mean a long "a"? No support for pronouncing it with the a in last that I can think of. The pronunciation in this game was more of a schwa.
The judges could have ruled that he was responding with the singular when a plural was required. They chose to be lenient with a vowel sound, which is their usual if inconsistent practice.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Re-:Rudolph Valentino being before one's time…
Rudolph Valentino is before your time if you are under 97 years old. It's not like we're talking about Paul Newman.