Monday, April 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7736, 2018-04-09

2018 College Championship quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Hannah Sage, a sophomore at the University of Central Florida from Sarasota, Florida
Sheldon Lewis II, a sophomore at Rochester Institute of Technology from Buffalo, New York
Josie Bianchi, a sophomore at Stanford University from San Jose, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks, and welcome to the first quarterfinal game in this year's College Championship. A lot of science majors in our tournament this year, perhaps inspired by Lilly Chin from MIT, who won this event last year. Hannah, Sheldon and Josie, good luck. Here we go. Let's do it. Here are the categories for you in this first round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ROWLING ADMISSIONS (5/5)
LANDMARKS (3/5)
DORM LIFE (5/5)
A STITCH IN TIME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SAVES (1/5)
9 (LETTER WORDS) (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sheldon: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Hannah: 7 R, 2 W
Josie: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Hannah: $600
Josie: $600
Sheldon: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The University of Central Florida is being represented by Hannah Sage, a sophomore whose major is mathematics. And you intern, I'm curious to know, in a seahorse conservation lab? What's that about?

Hannah: Mm-hm. So lots of aquariums will take seahorses from the wild for their exhibits, and it depletes the wild population of seahorses. So the aquarium I worked at will breed them and send them to other aquariums, so we can keep the seahorse population stable in the wild.

Alex: Good for you. They're little guys, aren't they?

Hannah: Yeah, the babies are like, this big. [Gestures with thumb and index a small distance apart] They're really adorable.

Alex: I'm sure they are. All right.

Alex: Sheldon Lewis is a sophomore from New York. Rochester Institute of Technology. And you, I understand, are the social head of your special interest house. What is that mean?

Sheldon: So I am the events coordinator for my floor. We're kind of like a dorm, except it's exclusive to RIT. I am the social head of the house of general science. And what we do is just bring in people who have a passion for science. They don't need to be science majors, but they like science and want a family and a nice place to start off. I plan events so that people can enjoy themselves.

Alex: You're the party planner, then.

Sheldon: That's me.

Alex: Okay. You're a popular guy.

Alex: Josie Bianchi is from San Jose, California. She's a sophomore at Stanford and a poli sci major, with a view to doing what eventually?

Josie: You know, that's a good question. Right now, I intern at a think tank on Stanford campus, and I have a great time there, so maybe a future like that, but I'm not too sure.

Alex: Now, is there extra pressure on you because as you know, a Stanford player has won this tournament in the past.

Josie: Right. I think Stanford's the only college who's won twice. There's a little bit of pressure, but no, it's great.

Alex: Good for you. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sheldon found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Josie had $600, Sheldon had $600, and Hannah was at $1,600. Sheldon wagered $1,000.

A STITCH IN TIME $600: Until she wore a white wedding gown for her 1840 royal wedding, most women wore their best dress for their nuptials

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LANDMARKS $400: A legend says John Alden was the first to set foot on this slab made of Dedham granite

9 (LETTER WORDS) $600: Types of this, which is often unleavened, include tortilla, pita & chapati
(Josie: What is bread?)

SAVES $800: In an interleague game vs. the Mets, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera got his 500th save & 1st one of these, via a walk as a batter

SAVES $400: From 1976 to 2012 a Relief Man award from this antacid brand was coveted by MLB closers
(Josie: What is Tums?)
(Sheldon: What is Alka-Seltzer?)

SAVES $600: When a closer enters a close game & gives up the tying run, it's B.S., this for short

LANDMARKS $1000: You'll find the Peace Memorial or Genbaku Dome in this Asian city

SAVES $1000: Superb as a starter for this Southern team, John Smoltz moved to closer & nabbed 55 saves one year

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sheldon: $4,800
Josie: $3,200
Hannah: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRY THIS ON FOR SCIENCE (4/5)
DUAL CITIZENS (5/5)
DOWN IN SOUTH AMERICA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WOMEN IN THE BIBLE (3/5)
CORPS CURRICULUM (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ALL THE WAY FROM A TO B (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hannah: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sheldon: 5 R, 0 W
Josie: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hannah snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Josie had $3,200, Sheldon had $4,800, and Hannah was at $8,800. Hannah wagered $3,000.

DOWN IN SOUTH AMERICA $1200: Chile had to pay millions after officials failed to warn coastal cities about this after a deadly 2010 earthquake

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Josie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Josie had $4,800, Sheldon had $10,800, and Hannah was at $17,000. Josie wagered $2,500.

CORPS CURRICULUM $2000: This 3-word French phrase means group morale & camaraderie
(Josie: What is eau le corps?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN IN THE BIBLE $400: Anna was an aged prophet in this city who proclaimed the baby Jesus as the Messiah
(Josie: Where is Bethlehem?)

WOMEN IN THE BIBLE $800: Described as a helper in Christ, Priscilla accompanied this apostle on some of his missionary journeys

TRY THIS ON FOR SCIENCE $2000: It's a watch brand & a Nissan your parents drove--oh, & a star that emits regular bursts of radio waves

ALL THE WAY FROM A TO B $1200: To "act with" this noun means to behave with great composure

ALL THE WAY FROM A TO B $1600: Note the category, fill in 1 letter & you've got this white garment worn by clergy

ALL THE WAY FROM A TO B $2000: "Have" is this 2-word part of speech in the phrase "we have spoken"
(Hannah: What is an adverb?)

CORPS CURRICULUM $1600: Pierre Charles L'Enfant was in this group that oversaw construction of the Washington Monument

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Hannah: $19,000
Sheldon: $11,200
Josie: $2,300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Hannah: Wager $3,401 to cover Sheldon, but no more than $14,399 so as not to fall behind Josie's doubled score.
Sheldon: You have the hope of surpassing Hannah if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,801 to force Hannah to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $6,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Josie.
Josie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He took the Oath of Office twice 14 months apart

FINAL SCORES
Josie: $2,300 + $2,250 = $4,550 (Who is Fo Lyndon B. Johnson?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Sheldon: $11,200 - $7,000 = $4,200 (Who is Theodore Roosevelt?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Hannah: $19,000 - $2,000 = $17,000 (Who is Cleveland?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Josie] Took the Oath of Office immediately after the assassination of President Kennedy, and then when he was elected 14 months later.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Hannah: $17,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sheldon: $10,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Josie: $4,800, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Hannah: 20/59 = .339
Sheldon: 15/59 = .254
Josie: 11/59 = .186
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SAVES $200: Though hitter-friendly Coors Field is his home park, Greg Holland of this team tied for the 2017 NL lead in saves
(Hannah: Who are the Brewers?)

LANDMARKS $800: Cherry Island is in this Scottish lake that has the largest volume of fresh water in Great Britain
(Hannah: What is Loch Lomond?)

9 (LETTER WORDS) $800: This type of combatant is seen in the painting "Thumbs Down"

A STITCH IN TIME $1000: Brr! This two-word name for a look that's recently on-trend comes from a distinct feature of the sleeve
(Josie: What is a breathing shoulder?)
(Alex: I'm not sure about that one.)
(Josie: What is [*]?)

DORM LIFE $1000: Upgrade your mattress with a foam topper named for this type of crate

WOMEN IN THE BIBLE $1600: This heroine of the Purim story is depicted in a 1684 work also called "The Jewish Bride"

DUAL CITIZENS $400: This actress, who has Cambodian citizenship, directed "First They Killed My Father" there

TRY THIS ON FOR SCIENCE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows DNA bases on the monitor.) A single alteration in the sequence of bases in a DNA molecule, such as a change from thymine to cytosine, is the point type of this

CORPS CURRICULUM $1200: Here's a 2017 seating chart for this corps

CORRECT RESPONSES
Victoria
Plymouth Rock
flatbread
RBI or run batted in
Rolaids
a blown save
Hiroshima
the Atlanta Braves
a tsunami
esprit de corps
Jerusalem
St. Paul
a pulsar
aplomb
an alb
an auxiliary verb
the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Lyndon B. Johnson
the Colorado Rockies
Loch Ness
a gladiator
open shoulder
an egg crate
Esther
Angelina Jolie
mutation
the press corps (at the White House)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He took the Oath of Office twice 14 months apart

Josie Bianchi: 2300+2250=4550
Sheldon Lewis II: 11200-7000=4200
Hannan Sage: 19000-2000=17000 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lyndon B. Johnson (Josie – Who is Fo Lyndon B. Johnson?) (Sheldon – Theodore Roosevelt) (Hannah – Cleveland)

Daily Doubles
Sheldon: 600+1000
Hannah: 8800+3000
Josie: 4800-2500

Coryats
Josie: 4800
Sheldon: 10800
Hannah: 17200

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josie: 3200
Sheldon: 4800
Hannah: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The new opening images:
Spoiler

The SAVES category did not go well:
$200: Hannah missed and Josie rebounded correctly
$400: Josie missed and Sheldon missed
$600: TS
$800: TS
$1000: TS

Out of a possible $3000 with no DD in there it ended up -800.

I took the shortcut on the FJ! clue by writing three letters. I had plenty of time to check my work with the math of Nov. to Jan. adding a year, TR 1901, CC summer of 1923, and HT 1945 soon after FDR’s 4th term. Done without doubt.

Wildcard wagering can be all over the place with pretty numbers, estimated goals too high or too low and regular play scenarios out the window. No matter what Josie and Sheldon will still be in contention for the semis after tomorrow’s game. After Wednesday’s game is another story. Sheldon wasted his chance to be sitting on WC1 and instead left that open for Josie.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm really trying to figure out how two bright college students could miss this FJ, even if Hannah may have simply missed the 20th Century part of the clue.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,800
52 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Plymouth Rock, flatbread, Rolaids, blown save, Atlanta Braves, Jerusalem, Paul, pulsar, aplomb, alb, Army Corps of Engineers, esprit de corps (DD)

LBJ, Teddy, Truman, and Calvin Coolidge were the only 20th Century vice presidents who took over the presidency and were then elected president. Coolidge is probably the best wrong answer of the bunch since he and LBJ were the only ones who took over in the third year of a presidential term.

The Delilah clue really should have been in the top box of Women in the Bible. Speaking of overvalued clues, "capital of Ecuador" for $2000?!?!

The players are far too young to know that relief is spelled "R-O-L-A-I-D-S."

The blown save clue was written incorrectly, though the error was fairly innocuous. The text read "It's B.S., this for short." It should have said "...short for this."
Sprinkles are for winners.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 pm The blown save clue was written incorrectly, though the error was fairly innocuous. The text read "It's B.S., this for short." It should have said "...short for this."
I guess that clue was BS, then.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I said Truman for FJ!. Oops.

Aced the Saves category. Can't say the same about the college players.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

For the FJ, I was thinking of somebody who took the oath of office for VP and then, 14 months later, took the oath of office for President. This satisfies the wording of the clue, and threw me off, as I was trying to think of which president may have died early in a term to allow the VP to do this. (I don't believe there is such a person in the 20th century.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sheldon was on the borderline with his total, so a big bet wasn’t a bad idea, but giving third a chance to pass him was a bad idea as he only needed to hold back a few hundred dollars to secure second place.

Instaget FJ.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:36 pm For the FJ, I was thinking of somebody who took the oath of office for VP and then, 14 months later, took the oath of office for President. This satisfies the wording of the clue...

I was tripped up identically, and far too late I decided that "VP, then president" does NOT satisty the clue's wording. (the category references the president, then the clue only says "the oath"... that's pretty solidly presidential.)

I call that a good FJ, albeit one I would've probably missed.
Last edited by RobW on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
LeviAustin

Post by LeviAustin »

I personally felt like this was an easy Final Jeopardy question. I also think Sheldon will possible have a high enough score to receive a wildcard semifinalist spot.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ford was VP for eight months before getting promoted. That was the closest anybody came in the 20th century.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Got to LBJ with time to spare, but starting at 1901 and working forward I got hung up on Coolidge for some dumb reason (I keep forgetting when in '23 Harding croaked). Not that either of them will be WCs with those scores, but that was a terrible wager by Sheldon.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:51 pm Speaking of overvalued clues, "capital of Ecuador" for $2000?!?!
I was convinced that it had to be a trick question somehow. But this is the college tourney, and they underestimate the kids every time.

I would've passed out if any of them had gotten the Braves, after B.S. was a TS. Not as inconceivable as that Purple People Eaters clue from a while back, but it would've been shocking to me.

That Mariano Rivera RBI clue made me smile.

Ah, K-Rod. Sorry, Mets fans.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

42 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Plymouth Rock, Flatbread, Run Batted In, Hiroshima, Jerusalem, Saint Paul, Pulsar

A Bunch of Category Runs.
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LeviAustin wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm I also think Sheldon will possible have a high enough score to receive a wildcard semifinalist spot.
With $4200?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

LeviAustin wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm I personally felt like this was an easy Final Jeopardy question. I also think Sheldon will possible have a high enough score to receive a wildcard semifinalist spot.
What about Josie?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Took a little more time than it should have but did get to LBJ.. I can definitely see how one might miss this clue.

I thought Sheldon made a good decision to go big, unfortunately it just didn't work out this time.

Lots and lots of trash..
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Niagara Falls is "upstate" New York? That was enough to make me clam. I would've thought "upstate" literally meant "up", as in Watertown or Saratoga Springs. In what backwards world is literally the westernmost part of the state considered "up"?

I also thought the Rowling category was extremely YEKIOYD. I doubt anyone's gonna know the Snitch or Dementors unless they're a superdork who's read every book 500 times.

"Residence hall" joins the "NHO in the top box" pile, and also strikes me as an overly generational clue.

I thought Delilah was by far the easiest in the Bible category. And how did they get Esther of all things?

Maybe it was my exhaustion from work, but I just couldn't get the wheels turning on this one. My WAG was "whoever took over after the one president who resigned" but I was too tired to even remember who that was. In a more coherent state of mind, I might've still glommed onto Ford and totally forgotten all about JFK anyway.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RobW wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 pm
tiwonge wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:36 pm For the FJ, I was thinking of somebody who took the oath of office for VP and then, 14 months later, took the oath of office for President. This satisfies the wording of the clue...

I was tripped up identically, and far too late I decided that "VP, then president" does NOT satisty the clue's wording. (the category references the president, then the clue only says "the oath"... that's pretty solidly presidential.)

I call that a good FJ, albeit one I would've probably missed.
I bet it would satisfy the wording if there was a VP who 14 months later ascended to the presidency. They didn't explicitly say "Presidential Oath of Office". Veeps (in fact every other office holder) take one too.

Laughed at the Delilah clue...
Spoiler
I literally started watching The Shape of Water an hour before J! aired
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)