Monday, April 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, April 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 am same here...funny how they had a clue with greg holland in it...his stellar season got him paid and today he made his debut for the st louis cardinals...well that didn't go too well for him...about as bad as the brewers answer was for his clue...wretched
From a sports-knowledge standpoint, the Brewers response may indeed have been wretched. But as a TOM-based guess, it wasn't unreasonable. Name a team that might plausibly be associated with a brand of beer. Of course, the Brewers are in Milwaukee and Coors is pretty well-known for its Colorado association. So even a few scraps of knowledge and a few seconds to check her work might have kept the contestant from ringing in. With less than a few seconds, under the lights? I lean toward admiring the response as creatively wrong.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I think we have to limit FJ to presidential oaths of office. If we throw it open to any oath of office, can we definitively rule out every other 20th century pres? That would involve at least a lot of fact-checking, making sure no 20th century president became governor of his state or a senator or representative or Grand Poobah of the Moose Lodge 14 months before his inauguration.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:28 am Quidditch, the imaginary pastime of elite Brits, generated plenty of enthusiasm and a full run. I did give my son a copy of the Hogwarts collection when he was younger. It's really good stuff compared to most YA. You don't need to have read the books 500 times to get those questions - they were pretty basic to the series.
Imaginary, you say? We've got a quidditch team here at the university, and they play tournaments against teams from other universities.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Interesting FJ. Given the category name, there were 3 potential answers (assuming that one parsed the question in the way the writers intended): Theodore Roosevelt, Truman and LBJ. It came down to knowing how far into their Presidential term their predecessors died and being able to pull that information in 30 sec. Since I recalled that JFK was assassinated in Nov '63, I got FJ relatively quickly. My son, now 13, went for Truman, but didn't know that FDR died soon after his '44 reelection.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

John Boy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 am I'm trying to wrap my brains around the notion that a bunch of bright college students seem to know more about Qwidditch (sp?) than about baseball. One more sign that I've lived too long.
My alma mater was one of the first intercollegiate Quidditch teams. Had the pleasure of running into a game once many years back when I was on campus for another event, and it is every bit as ridiculous looking as you can imagine, and gave me the same reaction regarding having apparently crossed over into living too long.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:33 pm Interesting FJ. Given the category name, there were 3 potential answers (assuming that one parsed the question in the way the writers intended): Theodore Roosevelt, Truman and LBJ. It came down to knowing how far into their Presidential term their predecessors died and being able to pull that information in 30 sec. Since I recalled that JFK was assassinated in Nov '63, I got FJ relatively quickly. My son, now 13, went for Truman, but didn't know that FDR died soon after his '44 reelection.
Calvin Coolidge would also fit as a possible answer.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:01 am
IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 am There's also the issue of the game being ruthlessly, horribly boring for most people under the age of 50.
Obviously it's not for everyone, but those of us who enjoy the game don't think it's boring. Yes, I'd like to see the length of an average MLB game decrease, but I could say that about just about every major pro sport.
We attended an MLB game a couple of years ago, and happened to be sitting next to a British couple on their last night in the U.S. They knew nothing about baseball, but wanted to attend a game while they were here since they had heard it was "the national pasttime." We of course got to chatting with them, and explained a little bit about what they were seeing and what was happening.

They initiated the conversation in the bottom of the first inning. The pitcher got into a jam when he gave up three consecutive short singles to load the bases with two outs. The count on the next batter went full, and the crowd was silent when he threw the next pitch. He froze the batter for a called third strike to end the inning, and the home-town crowd erupted. The British gentlemen turned to me with a bewildered expression and asked, "Why is everyone cheering when nothing at all happened?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:12 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm I also thought the Rowling category was extremely YEKIOYD. I doubt anyone's gonna know the Snitch or Dementors unless they're a superdork who's read every book 500 times.
I got the Snitch and Dementors without having read or watched a Harry Potter installment in its entirety. I knew the Snitch was an important item in Quidditch, and I knew Dementors were a thing in the HP universe without knowing exactly what they were, and their respective clues spurred me to guess them.
I actually read the first four books and while I remember a surprising amount of details, I don't remember the Dementors.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:45 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 pm if it had read "less than 14 months later", I'd have thrown in Obama - oops not 20th century. Obama had to do it twice the same day since idiot - mea culpa John Roberts failed to render it correctly - his one
Reagan in 1985 and Obama in 2013 took the oath twice on consecutive days because the Constitutional Inauguration Day fell on Sunday. I don't know if Eisenhower did the same in 1957. 28 year calendar cycle you know.
Great trivia nugget. Be good for a HQ vicious clue.

The Roberts faux pas stuck with me because I heard it and recognized it in real time and it just annoyed me coming off the ridiculous air violin/cello performances by the elite musical snobs/cowards. I would rather hear a 4th grade violinist screeching Twinkle Twinkle Little Star than see fools waving bows because their strings might be off by 2 cents. At least the Roberts probably didn't plan to butcher the oath, and I have edited my hasty inadvertently hateful post.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 pm Boy, that was a little painful. None of them knew beans about baseball but they pretty much went straight down the category?
It's a championship quarterfinal. All clues will be revealed. May as well get the awkward ones over with. Not necessarily sound strategically, but as a viewer, I approved.
Hadn't thought of it that way. So they make sure in the quarters and semi's that all are revealed so the non-winners have a fair shot at the cash? I'm not sure that's necessary, but it levels the game, if not the playing field. It's just bad luck if you get up against a spicy meme-lord :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 pm Boy, that was a little painful. None of them knew beans about baseball but they pretty much went straight down the category?
It's a championship quarterfinal. All clues will be revealed. May as well get the awkward ones over with. Not necessarily sound strategically, but as a viewer, I approved.
Hadn't thought of it that way. So they make sure in the quarters and semi's that all are revealed so the non-winners have a fair shot at the cash? I'm not sure that's necessary, but it levels the game, if not the playing field. It's just bad luck if you get up against a spicy meme-lord :lol:
Just the quarters, to make sure that all wild cards have the same 61 clues to accumulate cash.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 am There's also the issue of the game being ruthlessly, horribly boring for most people under the age of 50.
Obviously it's not for everyone, but those of us who enjoy the game don't think it's boring. Yes, I'd like to see the length of an average MLB game decrease, but I could say that about just about every major pro sport.
I concur. The end time I see on the TV schedule I take as the earliest time a game might end for all sports except soccer.

Things get more complicated once the NHL reaches the playoffs. Instead of a 5-minute overtime followed by a shootout, there's a series of 15-min intermissions > 20-min periods until someone scores. While it's usually tough, tense hockey, it can really make for a long night.
OCSam
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:10 pm
I concur. The end time I see on the TV schedule I take as the earliest time a game might end for all sports except soccer.

Things get more complicated once the NHL reaches the playoffs. Instead of a 5-minute overtime followed by a shootout, there's a series of 15-min intermissions > 20-min periods until someone scores. While it's usually tough, tense hockey, it can really make for a long night.
I was at this one (and was one of the relatively few who made it to the glorious (I'm an Islanders fan) end):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Epic
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm Niagara Falls is "upstate" New York? That was enough to make me clam. I would've thought "upstate" literally meant "up", as in Watertown or Saratoga Springs. In what backwards world is literally the westernmost part of the state considered "up"?
New York City and its suburbs (like my Long Island town of Syosset) are "downstate." Everything north of us, even if technically northwest, is "upstate."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm They initiated the conversation in the bottom of the first inning. The pitcher got into a jam when he gave up three consecutive short singles to load the bases with two outs. The count on the next batter went full, and the crowd was silent when he threw the next pitch. He froze the batter for a called third strike to end the inning, and the home-town crowd erupted. The British gentlemen turned to me with a bewildered expression and asked, "Why is everyone cheering when nothing at all happened?"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:12 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 pm I also thought the Rowling category was extremely YEKIOYD. I doubt anyone's gonna know the Snitch or Dementors unless they're a superdork who's read every book 500 times.
I got the Snitch and Dementors without having read or watched a Harry Potter installment in its entirety. I knew the Snitch was an important item in Quidditch, and I knew Dementors were a thing in the HP universe without knowing exactly what they were, and their respective clues spurred me to guess them.
I actually read the first four books and while I remember a surprising amount of details, I don't remember the Dementors.
Dementors would have popped up first in book 3. They're a bit more memorable in the movies given they're basically portrayed as Grim Reapers without scythes.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

Woof wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:33 pm Interesting FJ. Given the category name, there were 3 potential answers (assuming that one parsed the question in the way the writers intended): Theodore Roosevelt, Truman and LBJ. It came down to knowing how far into their Presidential term their predecessors died and being able to pull that information in 30 sec. Since I recalled that JFK was assassinated in Nov '63, I got FJ relatively quickly. My son, now 13, went for Truman, but didn't know that FDR died soon after his '44 reelection.
FDR was re-elected on November 7, 1944, and sworn in January 20, 1945. He died April 12, 1945.
Ironically, FDR was first elected November 8, 1932, and sworn in on March 4, 1933, and
Adolf Hitler (y"Sh) was appointed Chancellor of Germany on January 30, 1933, and died April 30, 1945 -- outliving FDR.
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 am It's a championship quarterfinal. All clues will be revealed. May as well get the awkward ones over with. Not necessarily sound strategically, but as a viewer, I approved.
Actually, it's the ideal strategy. Clear your weak areas (and your opponents strong areas) first.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 am It's a championship quarterfinal. All clues will be revealed. May as well get the awkward ones over with. Not necessarily sound strategically, but as a viewer, I approved.
Actually, it's the ideal strategy. Clear your weak areas (and your opponents strong areas) first.
Once the DD(s) is/are gone, it doesn't really matter anyway.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 ami have actually found so far this year that on nationally televised games, the breaks between half innings are shorter than in the previous years...
Yes, that's a change they made to speed up the game this season, along with limiting the number of mound visits.

Have you been to an MLB game in the past few years? There are clocks in the stadium to time the between-inning breaks now (something that was previously added to speed up the game -- they're just putting a bit less time on those clocks this season).