Thursday, April 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7739, 2018-04-12

2018 College Championship quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Carsen Smith, a senior at Vanderbilt University from Jacksonville, Florida
Rebecca Rosenthal, a sophomore at Swarthmore College from Ridgewood, New Jersey
Harry Kioko, a senior at the University of Chicago from Princeton, New Jersey

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. This is the fourth of our quarterfinal matches, so at the end of this half-hour, who will it be--Carsen, Rebecca or Harry--being assured of coming back as a semifinalist next week? Good luck. Let's start finding out. Now let's find out about the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED NOVELS (4/5)
VIDEO GAMES (3/5)
I WILL NOT SERVE... (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLLEGE SLASHES (4/5)
PASS/FAIL (3/5)
"ADD"/"DROP" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rebecca: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Carsen: 9 R, 4 W
Harry: 3 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rebecca: $3,400
Carsen: $1,600
Harry: -$1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Carsen Smith is a senior at Vanderbilt University. Not only a senior, but one of the few students with triple majors?

Carsen: Yes. You know, I thought, "This whole college thing is too much fun. How can I make it as miserable as possible?" So...

Alex: What are your three majors?

Carsen: Biology, Russian language and film studies.

Alex: So you wanna make films about strange creatures in Russia?

Carsen: In Siberia, exactly. Yeah, that's what I say.

Alex: Okay, good having you here.

Alex: Rebecca Rosenthal from Ridgewood, New Jersey. Ancient history and art history are your majors. With a view to doing what, exactly?

Rebecca: I hope to be a museum curator when I grow up. I love looking at Greco-Roman art, but so far, I've been studying Latin literature and a lot of art.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Harry Kioko is from Princeton, New Jersey. His major is political science, but I'm interested in the title you won a couple of years ago.

Harry: Yeah, so my freshman year, there's this big sorority pageant for charity every year called Mr. University. And so my freshman year, my fraternity nominated me to represent them in the pageant. And I had had this magic phase in high school, so I sort of volunteered and dusted off the old magic kit and put on a magic performance for, you know, a good portion of my school. I've since hung up the cloak, but it was definitely a good experience.

Alex: Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Harry found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Harry was in the hole with -$1,600, Rebecca had $2,400, and Carsen was at $1,200. Harry wagered $1,000.

I WILL NOT SERVE... $1000: This Union general refused to run for president, stating, "will not serve" if elected; he wouldn't have carried Georgia

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VIDEO GAMES $800: Post-apocalyptic mecha-dinosaurs are just part of the fun in the PlayStation game called this "Zero Dawn"

VIDEO GAMES $1000: This European-sounding game that fans call "G.T." bills itself as "the real driving simulator"
(Harry: What is Gran Torino?)

COLLEGE SLASHES $800: In 2017 the president of this state university system announced 400-plus job cuts, from the Columbia campus to Rolla
(Harry: What is South Carolina?)
(Rebecca: What is the University of California?)

PASS/FAIL $800: This term for a failure also refers to the situation seen here, making a road impassable

ANAGRAMMED NOVELS $600: More bloodsucking:
"Baked Warning"

PASS/FAIL $1000: Only 50 feet wide at some points, the Khyber Pass links Pakistan with this country
(Harry: What is India?)
(Carsen: What is Bangladesh?)
(Rebecca: What is Nepal?)

I WILL NOT SERVE... $600: 14 years after this man turned down a Supreme Court appointment, he became our 6th president
(Carsen: Who is... Madison?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rebecca: $3,600
Carsen: $1,400
Harry: -$600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PAPER TERMS (5/5)
WHERE IN THE BODY? (5/5)
TALES FROM THE ARABIAN NIGHTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
4-SYLLABLE WORDS (3/5)
BROADWAY MUSICALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DOWN FOR THE COUNTY (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rebecca: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Carsen: 8 R, 3 W
Harry: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rebecca snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Harry was in the hole with -$600, Rebecca had $5,600, and Carsen was at $1,400. Rebecca wagered $5,000.

BROADWAY MUSICALS $1600: We'd like to "point" out that George in "Sunday in the Park with George" is this famous French artist

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rebecca who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Harry was in the hole with -$1,000, Rebecca had $23,000, and Carsen was at $5,400. Rebecca wagered $3,000.

TALES FROM THE ARABIAN NIGHTS $1200: Several of the stories are set in this city, capital of the Muslim world in 8th century & still a capital today

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4-SYLLABLE WORDS $1200: Change the second, third & fourth letters in "maleficent" to get this word for "generous"
(Harry: What is magnanimous?)

DOWN FOR THE COUNTY $2000: It's Detroit's county & is on the name of a state university there
(Rebecca: What is Ford?)

DOWN FOR THE COUNTY $1200: This state's 99 counties include Decatur & Dubuque
(Rebecca: What is Georgia?)

DOWN FOR THE COUNTY $400: It's not the state capital but it is the seat of Hennepin County, Minnesota

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $400: Ohh, those ketchup pancakes aren't sitting well with me--I have this, also called dyspepsia

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rebecca: $26,000 (lock game)
Carsen: $6,200
Harry: $600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Rebecca: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $13,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Carsen: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,999 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Harry: You've no hope of catching up... unless Carsen does something stupid. So risk $599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1546 architect Pierre Lescot began rebuilding King Francis I's palace, which is now this museum

FINAL SCORES
Harry: $600 - $200 = $400 (What is L'orangerie) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Carsen: $6,200 - $4,200 = $2,000 (What is Versailles?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Rebecca: $26,000 + $0 = $26,000 (What is the Louvre?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rebecca: $20,800, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Carsen: $6,200, 17 R, 7 W
Harry: $600, 6 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $27,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rebecca: 26/60 = .433
Carsen: 17/58 = .293
Harry: 6/59 = .102
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ANAGRAMMED NOVELS $1000: Irish funeral party:
"Weakening Fans"
(Carsen: What is The Dubliners?)

I WILL NOT SERVE... $800: Monty Python's John Cleese refused a spot in this Parliamentary body, as it would mean spending winter in England
(Carsen: What is the House of Commons?)

BROADWAY MUSICALS $2000: "Waitress", which opened in 2016, features music & lyrics by this singer-songwriter

WHERE IN THE BODY? $1200: The duodenum
(Carsen: What are the intestines?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Carsen: What is the upper intestine... [*]?)

PAPER TERMS $1600: It's a soft & gauzy type of paper, or a cell structure in the body of an animal or plant
(Carsen: What is cellulose?)

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $800: Famous ones include the Stanford prison one & the Millikan oil-drop one
(Carsen: What are psychological experiments?)
(Alex: That's it, without the "psychological.")

WHERE IN THE BODY? $800: The transverse arch
(Carsen: What is the heart?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(William Tecumseh) Sherman
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gran Turismo
the University of Missouri
a washout
Breaking Dawn
Afghanistan
John Quincy Adams
(Georges) Seurat
Baghdad
munificent
Wayne
Iowa?
Minneapolis
indigestion
the Louvre
Finnegans Wake
the House of Lords
Sara Bareilles
the small intestine
tissue
experiments
the foot
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1546 architect Pierre Lescot began rebuilding King Francis I’s palace, which is now this museum

Harry Kioko: 600-200=400
Rebecca Rosenthal: 26000+0=26000 (Semi-Finalist)
Carsen Smith: 6200-4200=2000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Louvre (Harry – L’Orangerie) (Carsen – Versailles)

Daily Doubles
Harry: minus 1600+1000
Rebecca: 5600+5000
Rebecca: 23000+3000

Coryats
Harry: 600
Rebecca: 20800
Carsen: 6200

Combined: 27,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Harry: minus 600
Rebecca: 3600
Carsen: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Drink up for Pakistan’s neighbor with the Khyber Pass as the players tried India, Bangladesh, and Nepal to make Alex give them the NHNF for losing the same amount.

Rebecca sure liked BROADWAY MUSICALS going bottoms up for $2000, +$5000, $1200, $800 and only missing the run by being out-buzzed on the $400 clue.

Harry and Carsen missed the FJ! clue. It cost Harry pride and Carsen lost her chance to take over WC4. She could have been at WC3 with a correct response and an all-in wager.

If I could not connect the dots to solve that FJ! clue then I should hang ‘em up. There are more than one French museums, though for the FJ! round the list gets a lot shorter in the CC.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I thought Mecca would be the Muslim capital, didn't know it was Baghdad. Had no clue on FJ!

I felt bad for Harry. Stuck in the hole for most of the game but glad he was able to get out of it before FJ! Because of Harry's bad game and Carsen missing the FJ! clue, Thatcher and William are guaranteed to the next round. Caroline and Jordan are still alive at $6,600 and $12,399 respectively.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of Harry’s museum. I wonder if Carsen got hung up on the palace in going with Versailles.

I went with the obvious and was home free.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm I thought Mecca would be the Muslim capital, didn't know it was Baghdad. Had no clue on FJ!
Baghdad was the capital of the Abbasid Caliphate. After the Rashidun (the four or five Rightly Guided Caliphs who ruled for the 30 years after Muhammad's death), the Umayyad Caliphate (~660-750) took over and moved the capital to Damascus. The Abbasids (~750-1250) succeeded them and moved it to Baghdad. (I think they might have founded Baghdad to use as its capital.) They established a notable library there, the House of Wisdom, where al-Khwarizmi invented algebra. This stood as the capital until it was sacked by the Mongols. After Baghdad was sacked, the center of Muslim rule moved to Cairo (and then later to Istanbul).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Anagrammed Novels and Add/Drop.

Didn't recognize anything in the Video Games category. I thought "God of War" was an obscure pick for the top box. (Insert obligatory ranting about how there are still no clues about a game I actually play...)

Can't say I recognize the term "washout" or "munificent". The latter seemed extremely tough for the second box, especially with "Hierarchy" at the bottom. Poll request on "munificent"?

I thought the DJ! round was extremely tough. I got maybe one or two right.

I can never remember whether Minneapolis or St. Paul is the capital of Minnesota. They probably had the same brain lock that I did.

Also thought that "this state bordering Wyoming" was tough for the second box was tough with no other TOM, given that there are six states bordering it.

No guess on FJ!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Jordan and that useless dollar left behind are safe for another day. I was kinda hoping Carsen would get it right and go all-in.

Instaget FJ, besides knowing the backstory, I thought France + museum would lead more of them to pick the obvious.

Sinbad for 2000? 'Open sesame' for 1600!? The clue values in that Arabian Nights category were bizarre. Almost as bizarre as no one getting '6th president' JQ Adams on the rebound.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I've gotta stop eating dinner while watching the show.. worst game of the week for me so far.

One of these days we're going to get some love for sports video games on J!, right?

Even if Bay Stater Alli advances tomorrow, I have to pull for Rebecca next week - that performance in DJ was a lot of fun to watch.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 44,000
50 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gran Turismo, University of Missouri, washout, Afghanistan, John Quincy Adams, munificent, Wayne County, Iowa, Minneapolis, indigestion

Rebecca played a strong game, although she overwagered significantly on DD3. She was up $23,000 to $5,400 with only $6,400 left on the board. A wager of $601 would have secured the lock. Worse, after securing the lock, she rang in three more times. OTOH, Harry and Carsen overthought FJ!, overlooking the most famous museum in the world.

Our own Linear Gnome got a shout-out of sorts with the mention of UM-Rolla, although it wasn't the best kind, given that it was about professor layoffs.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm Also thought that "this state bordering Wyoming" was tough for the second box was tough with no other TOM, given that there are six states bordering it.
The other TOM was "Bighorn" itself. Among other things, the Battle of Little Bighorn (AKA Custer's Last Stand) took place in what is now Montana.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

can only name 1 paris museum, so i am back on track after snapping my 15 straight final jeopardy streak on wednesday
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a tear by Rebecca! Wow! Bad luck for Carsen and Harry to be up against her, at least with these boards.

Fell into the same trap as Harry with Gran Torino instead of Gran Turismo. I knew the former was a Clint Eastwood movie, but I figured it could be a video game (presumably not based on the movie) as well.

For ANAGRAMMED NOVELS I pre-called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. No luck. Almost ran the category anyway but choked on the Civil War novel THIN WHITE GOWNED. It kept not turning into The Red Badge of Courage and I didn't know what to do.

I guess the Twilight series has had its day in the sun (so to speak). Given the phrase "More bloodsucking," none of our contestants could get from BAKED WARNING to BREAKING DAWN.

Mrs. P didn't get HIERARCHY because she thinks of that as a three-syllable word.

The mention of "Big Horn" sent me to the Battle of the Little Bighorn (aka Custer's Last Stand). I knew that took place in Dakota Territory so I guessed South Dakota. Nope. It took place in the part of Dakota Territory that is now in Montana. So I correctly identified the TOM but couldn't convert it into a get.

I think Harry and Carsen may have outfoxed themselves on FJ. The best known museum in France turned out to be the correct response. I did consider Versailles but I wasn't sure if J! would call it a "museum". If I'd considered it further, I'd have rejected it as associated with Louis XIV rather than Francis I. Still, I think that's probably the best wrong guess.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pmRebecca played a strong game, although she overwagered significantly on DD3. She was up $23,000 to $5,400 with only $6,400 left on the board. A wager of $601 would have secured the lock. Worse, after securing the lock, she rang in three more times. OTOH, Harry and Carsen overthought FJ!, overlooking the most famous museum in the world.
Did you understand this situation as it unfolded in real time? I sure didn't.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 pmFor ANAGRAMMED NOVELS I pre-called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. No luck. Almost ran the category anyway but choked on the Civil War novel THIN WHITE GOWNED. It kept not turning into The Red Badge of Courage and I didn't know what to do.
Well, one of the other contestants gave a wrong answer that wasn't even remotely close, so you're good.
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 pmMrs. P didn't get HIERARCHY because she thinks of that as a three-syllable word.
Same problem here. Which is weird since I usually get two syllables out of "ire" sounds (for instance, "fire" is two full syllables to me) but process hier-arch-y as three.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Anagrammed Novels (4), Video Games (4), Serve (4), College Slashes (3), Pass/Fail (3), "ADD/"DROP" (2)
Paper Terms (3), Body (2), The Arabian Nights (3), 4-Syllable Words (3), Broadway (4), County (4)

Lach Trash: Gran Turismo, Missouri, Afghanistan, John Quincy Adams, Wayne, Iowa, Minneapolis

I was thinking briefly about Versailles, but I didn't say it because I thought that a rebuilding in 1546 sounded too early a time for the Palace of Versailles. With that, I went with the Louvre because I remembered that it was a palace before a museum, as said in the clue.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Well, today's game definitely resembled Monday's more than it did Tuesday's or Wednesday's. Not knowing the 6th president of the US? Not getting Minneapolis for a city in Minnesota that isn't the capital? Oddly, given that they're college students, not even getting the University of Missouri one, either?

When I saw the FJ, I thought "oh well, at least they will go 3 out of 3 on this! This is easier than most Teen Tournament FJs!" Nope...

I absolutely hate that they accepted "small intestine" after not 1, but 2 WRONG answers beforehand. By that logic, why not just yell out random answers until you stumble on the correct one?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm Well, today's game definitely resembled Monday's more than it did Tuesday's or Wednesday's. Not knowing the 6th president of the US? Not getting Minneapolis for a city in Minnesota that isn't the capital? Oddly, given that they're college students, not even getting the University of Missouri one, either?

When I saw the FJ, I thought "oh well, at least they will go 3 out of 3 on this! This is easier than most Teen Tournament FJs!" Nope...

I absolutely hate that they accepted "small intestine" after not 1, but 2 WRONG answers beforehand. By that logic, why not just yell out random answers until you stumble on the correct one?
I'm giving them a pass on the Missouri one. There are plenty of Columbias out there, and Rolla isn't that well known (though of course one of our own is from there).

I eliminated the Louvre because I was confused and thinking it was designed by IM Pei, who actually only designed the pyramid.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 pm
IronNeck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm Well, today's game definitely resembled Monday's more than it did Tuesday's or Wednesday's. Not knowing the 6th president of the US? Not getting Minneapolis for a city in Minnesota that isn't the capital? Oddly, given that they're college students, not even getting the University of Missouri one, either?

I'm giving them a pass on the Missouri one. There are plenty of Columbias out there, and Rolla isn't that well known (though of course one of our own is from there).
I wouldn't fault any non-college student for missing that one, sure, but even in my tiny undergrad of 900 students, I knew about the University of Missouri at Rolla through other students who mentioned it being a local school or somewhere they applied to. Plus, considering these three students all go to fairly famous schools, they likely cycled through a bunch of "name" colleges while in high school.

You're right though, fellow Iron user. Not the same caliber as the other two Triple Stumpers.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 pm I guess the Twilight series has had its day in the sun (so to speak). Given the phrase "More bloodsucking," none of our contestants could get from BAKED WARNING to BREAKING DAWN.
I saw the D, R and A and tried to make Dracula out of it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)