Meanwhile... in the Green Room

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Meanwhile... in the Green Room

Post by Robert K S »

I liked the time-elapse video of the entire day's green room activity that is up on the official Facebook page. Tried to figure out what movies they were watching by looking at them as they blazed by. The second one is The Princess Bride (any FJ! wagering tips from Fezzik?) and the third is one of the Iron Mans, not sure which one. The first one looks like a college or 20-somethings comedy but whatever it is I haven't seen it--wait. The DVD cases are on the table. It's Easy A.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Meanwhile... in the Green Room

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It looks like there is a gentleman in a Caltech sweater who is in the green room all day. There was no Caltech student on the show for this tournament.

For tournament play do they typically keep an alternate that doesn't get to play?

I know on the regular version of the show they keep an alternate and the alternate gets invited back to play later. How does that work here?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I know that the alternate from Erin McLean's game played in a regular game a little while later, but I think Steve Greene had been an alternate in a previous College Championship.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I want to say the first movie was Easy A. The second was, as you say, The Princess Bride, and the third was the first Iron Man.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 pm I want to say the first movie was Easy A. The second was, as you say, The Princess Bride, and the third was the first Iron Man.
On the table before the movies play there is Moulin Rouge! and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It's at 14 seconds when the graphic has, "AND GAMES".
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm It looks like there is a gentleman in a Caltech sweater who is in the green room all day. There was no Caltech student on the show for this tournament.
Considering the low level of a number of players in the first round, knowing there was someone from my alma mater in the green room who didn't get a shot is a particularly annoying observation.

The video was interesting, as playing cards or watching a movie would be the last thing I would do to mentally prepare myself for a competition. I wonder if the students had a choice, though? Seemed like they had to be sequestered there whether they wanted to or not.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm It looks like there is a gentleman in a Caltech sweater who is in the green room all day. There was no Caltech student on the show for this tournament.

For tournament play do they typically keep an alternate that doesn't get to play?

I know on the regular version of the show they keep an alternate and the alternate gets invited back to play later. How does that work here?
Local alternates for the Teachers' Tournament have played in the next year's Tournament. I'm guessing the Cal Tech kid would be offered a similar opportunity or, depending on his preferences/future student status, the chance to play a regular game.
Golf

Post by Golf »

IronNeck wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 am The video was interesting, as playing cards or watching a movie would be the last thing I would do to mentally prepare myself for a competition. I wonder if the students had a choice, though? Seemed like they had to be sequestered there whether they wanted to or not.
You almost have to keep all the contestants together so as to properly keep an eye on them. Otherwise you have to have a chaperone for each player.

I agree with you, wouldn't want to do any of those things. Wouldn't want to talk to other contestants either. But it seems as though we are in the minority in this case, especially with with the younger generation who want to be all buddy buddy before, during, and after the competition. And it's not just kids, you here all the time here about contestants keeping in contact with those from their taping week.

To each their own I suppose.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

The same.

The Caltech player was the alternate and you'll likely see him in the next tournament (if not in an adult game sooner).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

IronNeck wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 am Considering the low level of a number of players in the first round, knowing there was someone from my alma mater in the green room who didn't get a shot is a particularly annoying observation.
He'll get a shot.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would not want to be forced to watch a movie I didn’t want to see. Do they have movies in there for the regular players?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 am I would not want to be forced to watch a movie I didn’t want to see. Do they have movies in there for the regular players?
Regular players don't have to be sequestered. It's just the first week of tournaments where you don't want the players to know the scores of previous games to affect the gameplay/FJ wagering.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 am I would not want to be forced to watch a movie I didn’t want to see. Do they have movies in there for the regular players?
Regular players don't have to be sequestered. It's just the first week of tournaments where you don't want the players to know the scores of previous games to affect the gameplay/FJ wagering.
Yeah, the regular players are in the audience for the matches preceding theirs.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The movies are partially to pass the time and partially to drown out the noise from the studio, as the green room is fairly close to it.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Watching movies in the green room sounds infinitely better than watching a 2 hour loop of old Millionaire episodes over the course of 6+ hours. Luckily, my green room had generally conversational people to help pass the time.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:31 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm
Yeah, the regular players are in the audience for the matches preceding theirs.
During the first round of a tournament, once a person has played, since there is no longer a need to sequester that person, are they in the audience or back to the green room?

My guess would be to the audience so as not to have the possibility of someone who already played telling someone who didn't play yet what the outcome was.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm During the first round of a tournament, once a person has played, since there is no longer a need to sequester that person, are they in the audience or back to the green room?

My guess would be to the audience so as not to have the possibility of someone who already played telling someone who didn't play yet what the outcome was.
You are in the audience at that point for exactly the reasons you say.