POLL: A Hypothesis about Auditions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

For your audition, did you choose the location nearest to you?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:56 am

I got an invitation to the nearest location
83%
I got an invitation to a distant location
7%
I've received multiple audition invitations
42%

Total votes: 60

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: POLL: A Hypothesis about Auditions

Post by seaborgium »

Quantum wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 pm Not to convince everyone that I am a conspiracy theorist, but . . . I thought that they brought on some fairly tough opponents for Ken Jennings, to prevent complete run-aways in the games. (Not that it did that much good.) Was this your impression, or not? One of the contestants I knew ran a local TV academic quiz show for close to 20 years prior to appearing on Jeopardy to face Ken Jennings. Most of the day-to-day contestants do not seem to have this type of background.
How many "fairly tough" contestants show up during the course of 75 regular games? The last 75 games of the 2008-2009 season produced me, Justin Bernbach, Liz Murphy, Kevin Joyce, and Fred Beukema, and certainly there were some other tough contestants who weren't fortunate enough to win as much (if at all) during that time.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Quantum wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 pm Not to convince everyone that I am a conspiracy theorist, but . . . I thought that they brought on some fairly tough opponents for Ken Jennings, to prevent complete run-aways in the games. (Not that it did that much good.) Was this your impression, or not? One of the contestants I knew ran a local TV academic quiz show for close to 20 years prior to appearing on Jeopardy to face Ken Jennings. Most of the day-to-day contestants do not seem to have this type of background.
KJ's opponents were totally average over the course of 75 games, naturally that means that some were very good and some were very mediocre.

Just because one runs a quiz show for many years doesn't make him a top notch trivia player. By that metric Alex Trebek would be unbeatable were he to move to a contestant's podium.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken had won 38 games at the end of S20, so the powers saw what he was doing when the tapings concluded in perhaps April 2004 for that season. When auditioning players during the summer and making calls for S21 this was a case when yes, the contestant coordinators could look for certain factors in trying to round up good competition for KJ.

A deadpan player that might normally get overlooked could get the call if the test score was high. Nothing wrong with that.

At the end of S21 David Madden had won 14 games, so same thing with the possibility of knowing a strong champ was at the #1 spot and needed worthy competitors. Some of the people who aired early in S22 could have been picked to try to take him out. ;)

Matt Ottinger's background of having hosted a show and also been on $otC would have been known to the powers and he's not the only one with such a resume. He was on early in Ken's run, so he probably had the call in place before J! had any idea about KJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I’m honestly not sure how to answer. My only audition so far was Kansas City, which was a 14 hour drive (not counting the hour and a half to my sister’s the day before). But it was also the closest to me. So is that “the closest location” or “a distant one”? (This time I chose Portland, definitely a distant one as it’s two time zones away and closer than what I think is the closest location, St. Louis, probably a 16 hour drive if I had to guess.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

BobF wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:40 pm I think a better indicator would be go to an audition and see how many are local and how many are from far away. I seem to recall from my two that when they asked who came from the farthest away, not many people gave an answer.
For what it's worth, twice I've been the person who traveled farthest for the audition I attended, but I have yet to get the call.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Considering they give a person about a month's notice to come out for a taping (such as today is 4/17, call comes in and says be here on 5/17), then no, they do not do what you're suggesting as no way in friggin hell do they expect anyone to have a month long winning streak, even if they have already been on for two months.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Quantum wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 pm I was suggesting something slightly different--not picking the players based on a game's questions, but picking the questions based on the players, or a player. I am certain that they know by now how they could get rid of me as a contestant if I was not going over well with the TV audience. (Perhaps this is just slightly paranoid, but this is how I would do things if I were in charge of the TV show, to increase the entertainment value and give the TV audience more people they would like to root for.)
By the time your games aired, you would most likely have already lost so they have no idea how you would play for TV audiences.

If you are ever a producer for a game show, I would strongly suggest that you don’t give a player you don’t like categories that aren’t in his wheelhouse.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Okay, I am persuaded.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm They do not want to go to jail and have their cash machine shut down. The games are honest.

I once knew a guy who was certain Wheel was rigged because the wheel would suddenly slow down. I guess the concept of editing out things never occurred to him.
Friction is also obviously a new concept to him.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pmI once knew a guy who was certain Wheel was rigged because the wheel would suddenly slow down. I guess the concept of editing out things never occurred to him.
My aunt said the exact same thing to me: "They can stop the wheel wherever they want!" She also told me a woman should never be president, so there's that

After my audition in July, I had hot debates with family members about whether or not Jeopardy! gives you the categories in advance (they don't). Where do people get these lunatic ideas?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pmI once knew a guy who was certain Wheel was rigged because the wheel would suddenly slow down. I guess the concept of editing out things never occurred to him.
My aunt said the exact same thing to me: "They can stop the wheel wherever they want!" She also told me a woman should never be president, so there's that

After my audition in July, I had hot debates with family members about whether or not Jeopardy! gives you the categories in advance (they don't). Where do people get these lunatic ideas?
some right here on jboard... :lol:
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

I auditioned in Boston in 2007 and I will be going to NYC for my second try the end of May.
I live in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, at the far eastern end of the island. A few more miles and I would be very wet. I'm actually closer to London, England, than I am to Dallas, for example.
Each time, I chose a city that was closest to my residence, except that I picked NY this time because I went to Boston already. Although I have been to New York State, I've never been to the Big Apple.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Golf wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm my feeling is that the audition lottery is random or automated. TPTB work so hard and do so much already, I just can't see them weighing travel times at this point in the selection process.
This.
+1
Simple theory - there are too many qualified people.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Pointer wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm I auditioned in Boston in 2007 and I will be going to NYC for my second try the end of May.
I live in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, at the far eastern end of the island. A few more miles and I would be very wet. I'm actually closer to London, England, than I am to Dallas, for example.
Each time, I chose a city that was closest to my residence, except that I picked NY this time because I went to Boston already. Although I have been to New York State, I've never been to the Big Apple.
This time there was no Boston, closest probably is NYC for you.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Ahem, I think I am the person on the jboard whom triviawayne is calling a lunatic. :D However, you will see on this page that I have already surrendered on the idea I was propounding. I cannot verify where I got the original idea about seeding.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Quantum wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:43 pm Ahem, I think I am the person on the jboard whom triviawayne is calling a lunatic. :D However, you will see on this page that I have already surrendered on the idea I was propounding. I cannot verify where I got the original idea about seeding.
Don’t worry, there’s been a ton of lunatic ideas about the process.

While there are some points we will never know exactly, just a little sense is all it takes to draw a logical conclusion of what happens.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You learned something and acknowledged you were wrong. A rare thing on the internet.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm

My brother in law I believe it was believed that when you’re selected for the show you’re given a big book o’ trivia to study of possible answers that could come up. (Although I have heard that this is essentially what happens with the kids on Fifth Grader)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

There are books of Jeopardy! oriented trivia, of course. I have an old one, which I haven't read--but I probably will, if I am invited for an audition this time around. The contestants aren't *given* them, though.

Incidentally, dhkendall, did you ever audition in Lexington, KY (if that is not out of bounds to ask on jboard)?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Quantum wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am There are books of Jeopardy! oriented trivia, of course. I have an old one, which I haven't read--but I probably will, if I am invited for an audition this time around. The contestants aren't *given* them, though.

Incidentally, dhkendall, did you ever audition in Lexington, KY (if that is not out of bounds to ask on jboard)?
Nope, we share audition stories and experiences all the time here!

Only had one audition so far, Kansas City, June 30, 2015 9:00am. Hoping this year is my second, and that two’s a charm.

Curious why you asked though