Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 pm diamond is called "ice" because it is cold to the touch because it is... wait for it... the best thermal conductor in nature.
I did not know that. I'm glad you posted it.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 pm In spite of my regular use of this trivia, I Pavlov'd to Gold because of it's role in switch contacts. It is almost as good as Silver and it never corrodes in spite of jillions of sparks and lightning.
What switch contacts are using gold? For medium voltage applications I think silver plated copper is the most common. It's not strictly for the conductivity but because it pairs well with copper and doesn't oxidize. Depending on the switch there are some other materials that are used. The wiki page for vacuum interrupters mentions a copper-chromium alloy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Silver), Copper, Appaloosa, Charlie Puth

Ran Seeing Red, Art, and Historic Geography.
Douglas Squasoni
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right (the special report came in near the end of Double Jeopardy and concluded during the credits).

State St
uff (3), TV (2), Elementary (2), Seeing Red (4), Hit the Books (3), "Gre" (3)
Historic Geography (5), Communication (2), Art (4), Deep Lyrics (0), Debate (2), Combinations (3)

Lach Trash: Madam Secretary

I read the FJ clue the site here, and answered it quickly due to the "Xmas" portion of the clue.

RIP Barbara Bush.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 pmIn spite of my regular use of this trivia, I Pavlov'd to Gold because of it's role in switch contacts. It is almost as good as Silver and it never corrodes in spite of jillions of sparks and lightning.
Ah. Thank you. That's why I chose gold as well, even though my first thought had been silver. Afterwards I wondered why all the gold contacts when silver would be cheaper. Didn't think about how easily silver tarnishes, but that makes perfect sense.

So, theoretically (or even actually), in a zero-oxygen environment would one prefer silver contacts to gold?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

3/5 in that lyrics category, but I agree that was really tough - pop music is usually a strong suit.

Thought Final was a touch harder than yesterday, but still got it without issue.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm For some reason I always thought it was British, but I had no other guess so I got it right.
...written by that loveable limey, Piotyr Illyich Tchaikovsky.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm
Russian work from the late 1800s? Xmas Eve? Instaget before Alex finished the clue.
Exactly my thinking. First two days of this tournament have been pretty easy-peasy FJs. Wonder what they've got lined up for the finals?

Meanwhile I certainly am grateful for this board. Last night I watched the game right up to the point where Thatcher's FJ was revealed. Then just before they revealed Hannah's, my local channel broke in with the news of the death of Barbara Bush. I didn't get to see the end if the game, and could only assume Hannah wouldn't miss that. And now I know.

J! round: LT on copper, Madame Secretary, and appaloosa.
DJ! round: nothing. Those three licked the platter clean. Well done.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm For some reason I always thought it was British, but I had no other guess so I got it right.
...written by that loveable limey, Piotyr Illyich Tchaikovsky.
Along with characters like Herr Drosselmeyer, Clara and Fritz. ;)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 pmIn spite of my regular use of this trivia, I Pavlov'd to Gold because of it's role in switch contacts. It is almost as good as Silver and it never corrodes in spite of jillions of sparks and lightning.
Ah. Thank you. That's why I chose gold as well, even though my first thought had been silver. Afterwards I wondered why all the gold contacts when silver would be cheaper. Didn't think about how easily silver tarnishes, but that makes perfect sense.

So, theoretically (or even actually), in a zero-oxygen environment would one prefer silver contacts to gold?
As long as no other oxidizing gas was present, sure.
Woof

Post by Woof »

And I will echo my gratitude for this board. My local CBS affiliate cut away for the breaking news just before FJ and didn't return until after the game was over and it was clear that Hannah had won. I came right here to get the question, verify that it was Kids' Week easy and see that all three got it (didn't even think about the possible Nutcracker Suite neg).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I thought oxidizing involved oxygen by definition.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm

It can, but it also refers to a loss of electrons in a reaction (whether or not oxygen is involved).
Woof

Post by Woof »

Nitrous oxide and nitrogen dioxide will also do it, as would sulfur trioxide.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 pm The stage director must have given Alex the big stretch heads up going into the FJ! round as the host had a lot of time to kill before revealing the clue thanks to the players tearing through the first 60 clues as if they were late for a flight.
It looked to me as though that speech was edited in afterwards, instead of made in real time. Does anyone know for sure?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Nitrous oxide and nitrogen dioxide will also do it, as would sulfur trioxide.
In re: gold vs silver vs. switch contacts vs. electrical conductivity, every application has different demands. But contact resistance is unlikely to be a factor. I have to ponder on the Penguin's question about the atmosphere. Arcs is arcs, and plasma is plasma so I don't know when the materials

I actually just passed on received wisdom from an engineer who adjusted my attitude that gold wasn't good for anything practical. I've found a few other engineering uses since, but not many. There are some gold based thermocouple pairs and the melting point of gold is a fixed point in the International Temperature Scale (ITS - 90).

Another deep thought - two other ceramic materials (my turf) rival Silver and Diamond for thermal conductivity. They happen to be BeO and BN (pyrolitic BN to be exact). Why is this? They are neighbors and next door neighbors to Carbon. Beryllium (4) and Oxygen(8), and Boron(5) and Nitrogen (7). Not Jeopardy material, but maybe will be an HQ vicious question sometime.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I missed Final because of the break-in of NBC News to announce the death of former First Lady Barbara Bush. Is there any way to watch Jeopardy! on the web later in such scenarios (e.g. break-ins for severe weather or pre-emptions for local special programming)?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A drop of golden sun wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:21 am I missed Final because of the break-in of NBC News to announce the death of former First Lady Barbara Bush. Is there any way to watch Jeopardy! on the web later in such scenarios (e.g. break-ins for severe weather or pre-emptions for local special programming)?
The Reddit guy is helpful in such situations: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr

Sometimes the link for that day's game is up by 12 pm ET although times can vary widely.

The early bird is The Jeopardy Fan who has the results (not video) before 8:30 a.m. PT almost every day: https://thejeopardyfan.com/
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Continuing zombie mode:

R: 31, W: 2, costing 1400
Coryat: 25,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 0/3
LT: Madam Secretary, whisper

They were very fast this game:
2:53 + 2:30 = 5:23
6:05
1:35

I've never run the statistics, but I suspect a typical round is about 6:30 of run time. So they were a minute and a half fast. That left time for Alex's explanation for the winnings AND a long credit roll again.

I am a religious watcher of Madam Sec, so that was trivially easy trash for me to pick up.

I could not show my face in my family if I missed that FJ. My sister has danced with the same ballet group since before I could drive. They put on a production of The Nutcracker every year - usually with about a dozen or so performances. My sister usually plays Clara's mother these days, but she has been on both sides of Mother Ginger's skirt.
--Peter