Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7742, 2018-04-17

2018 College Championship semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Eric Thorpe, a senior at Dartmouth College from Laguna Niguel, California
Hannah Sage, a sophomore at the University of Central Florida from Sarasota, Florida
Thatcher Chonka, a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma from Tulsa, Oklahoma

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A little bit of showbiz there with Thatcher--"Ah, ah! It's me!"

[Alex imitates Thatcher's behavior during contestant introductions.]

Alex: Hannah and Eric, good to see you guys again, too. Let's go to work, shall we? First round of play has one Daily Double and these categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF (4/5)
ACTING UP ON TV (3/5)
ELEMENTARY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SEEING RED (5/5)
HIT THE BOOKS (5/5)
THE "GRE"s ARE COMING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Thatcher: 13 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: 7 R, 0 W
Hannah: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Thatcher found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Thatcher had $1,800, Hannah had $600, and Eric was at $800. Thatcher made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

ELEMENTARY $400: This precious metal boasts the highest thermal & electrical conductivity
(Thatcher: What is gold?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Eric: $3,200
Thatcher: $1,000
Hannah: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Thorpe is a senior at Dartmouth College. His majors are economics and history. But this past fall, you took a special course that I didn't know existed. That was about the HBO TV show The Wire?

Eric: Yeah. So this past fall, I had the opportunity to take a course on David Simon's The Wire. It was cross-listed as an English and film course. It was taught by a Shakespeare scholar, Professor Brett Gamboa, and in it we had the opportunity to watch the entire series as well as read Othello and kind of compare the two works.

Alex: Ah. Very interesting. Good for you.

Alex: Hannah Sage, sophomore at the University of Central Florida. A chemistry tutor on campus.

Hannah: Mm-hm.

Alex: Uh... why? Are you earning money for that?

Hannah: I am, actually. It is a paid job. So on campus, we have a student academic resource center, where, like, peer tutors will help students who are currently in the class. So I tutor for general chemistry, which is a class that's geared toward nursing majors, and since I want to become a doctor, I get to help other people who wanna be in the medical field.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Thatcher, I, uh, poked fun at you a little bit off the top of the show about show business.

Thatcher: Right.

Alex: But I wasn't that far off, because didn't you direct a musical for freshmen at your school?

Thatcher: Right, so we have a program where there's a number of shows, and I get to be a director for one of them. And there's 40 freshmen, 20 guys and 20 girls. And so you have a lot of girls with experience in singing and dancing, but some of the guys, this is their first time ever doing anything like that. And so it allows people to get into something like that even if they had no experience.

Alex: Now does that mean that there's the possibility of show business in your life after college?

Thatcher: Maybe not, but I'll always be willing to keep the doors open.

Alex: Okay, good for you. Good attitude, by the way.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ELEMENTARY $600: From sources like the Skouriotissa mine, Cyprus was fittingly a large source of this element in ancient times

ACTING UP ON TV $200: Tea Leoni runs the State department on this drama

OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $1000: This state horse of Idaho was popular with the Nez Perce

ACTING UP ON TV $600: Just before becoming a Rey of light on the big screen in "The Force Awakens", she Roxy & rolled on "Mr. Selfridge"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eric: $5,000
Thatcher: $4,600
Hannah: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC GEOGRAPHY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORDS OF COMMUNICATION (4/5)
ART (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEEP LYRICS (3/5) (Alex: You have to identify the performer for us.)
DEBATE TOPICS (5/5)
COMBINATIONS (5/5) (Alex: You have to tell us the items which, when combined, give us what we're going for.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hannah: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Thatcher: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Eric: 10 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hannah snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Thatcher had $5,400, Hannah had $5,000, and Eric was at $5,400. Hannah wagered $2,000.

ART $1600: He painted the yellow house that he had rented in Arles, hoping to establish a studio of the south with fellow artists

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Thatcher who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Thatcher had $7,400, Hannah had $7,000, and Eric was at $5,000. Thatcher wagered $4,000.

HISTORIC GEOGRAPHY $1200: The site of a temple to Apollo & an ancient oracle, this city was located on the slopes of Mount Parnassus

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DEEP LYRICS $400: "Learn, learn, learn, learn learn... hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurting"
(Eric: Who is Johnny Cash?)

DEEP LYRICS $1200: "What are you doin' to me? What are you doin', huh? What are you doin' to me? What are you doin', huh?"

WORDS OF COMMUNICATION $1200: This breathy type of "campaign" spreads rumors in an organized way to destroy someone's reputation
(Eric: What is a smear campaign?)
(Alex: Breathy type because it's [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Hannah: $18,200
Thatcher: $14,200
Eric: $10,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RUSSIAN CULTURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Hannah: Wager $10,200--wagering any more risks falling behind Thatcher's wager of $6,200.
Thatcher: While wagering all $14,200 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $6,200.
Eric: Wager $10,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This work was over 50 years old & excerpts had been popularized when it had its first full U.S. performance on Christmas Eve 1944

FINAL SCORES
Eric: $10,200 + $10,200 = $20,400 (What is... The Nutcracker) (3rd place: $10,000)
Thatcher: $14,200 + $14,200 = $28,400 (What is... The Nutcracker) (2nd place: $10,000)
Hannah: $18,200 + $10,201 = $28,401 (What is The Nutcracker?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Eric] Tchaikovsky's ballet.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Hannah: $17,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Thatcher: $13,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: $10,200, 17 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $41,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Thatcher: 22/60 = .367
Eric: 18/58 = .310
Hannah: 15/59 = .254
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $200: This state's quarter is seen here

OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $600: You'll shout with joy the name of this pie, Maine's state treat

ART $800: "At the Piano" is a double portrait not of this artist's mother, but of his niece and his half-sister

COMBINATIONS $1600: A Roman satyr
(Eric: What is a man and a horse?

DEEP LYRICS $2000: "Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle wiggle, wiggle, yeah"
(Eric: Who is Pitbull?)
(Thatcher: Who is DeRulo?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
silver
copper
Madam Secretary
an appaloosa
Daisy Ridley
van Gogh
Delphi
Rihanna
Charlie Puth
a whisper campaign
The Nutcracker
South Dakota
a whoopie pie
(James Abbott McNeill) Whistler
a man and a goat
LMFAO
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RUSSIAN CULTURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This work was over 50 years old & excerpts had been popularized when it had its first full U.S. performance on Christmas Eve 1944

Thatcher Chonka: 14200+14200=28400
Hannah Sage: 18200+10201=28401 (Finalist)
Eric Thorpe: 10200+10200=20400

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Nutcracker

Daily Doubles
Thatcher: 1800-1800
Hannah: 5000+2000
Thatcher: 7400+4000

Coryats
Thatcher: 13200
Hannah: 17800
Eric: 10200

Combined: 41,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Thatcher: 4600
Hannah: 3800
Eric: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DEEP LYRICS was writers 5 and Me 0 as my meager saving grace was guessing the J!6 one correct and having heard of all of the artists.

For the students it was:
$400: Eric wrong & TS
$800: Thatcher right
$1200: TS
$1600: Eric right
$2000: Eric wrong, Thatcher wrong, & Hannah right

Out of a possible $6000 that’s a net zero the same as I had.

The stage director must have given Alex the big stretch heads up going into the FJ! round as the host had a lot of time to kill before revealing the clue thanks to the players tearing through the first 60 clues as if they were late for a flight.

The FJ! clue had me spending think time trying to imagine what kind of miss could occur since my pen was already down before the music began. Adding “Suite”, forgetting the category leading to going for the famous Menotti work, wrong Russian composer leading to detours… Nothing seemed likely to happen as “Christmas Eve” stood out as a flashing neon sign.

Even if the writers changed it to “December” it probably makes no difference in the solve rate. That left the game down to the wagers. Hannah led and won by a buck. Nice job by her in the game as even if Thatcher had farmed DD3 he still trails.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For some reason I always thought it was British, but I had no other guess so I got it right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Those were some extremely tough books. NHO any of them, and I saw no way to tease them out.

Also saw no way to figure out any of the Elementary clues.

Can't say I recognize "Madam Secretary", or for that matter, anything in that TV category.

All but Propane in Combinations, and all but euthanasia in Debate.

I was probably too old for the Deep Lyrics category, as I recognized none of them except (shudder) LMFAO.

Russian Culture? Yeah, I'm screwed here. I had nothing to go on whatsoever.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 pmNothing seemed likely to happen as “Christmas Eve” stood out as a flashing neon sign.
More like "written in jet black and obscured in the shadows". I know Nutcracker is Russian in origin, but I managed to focus on every other word and threw up my hands in defeat immediately, knowing no popular Russian works of the era.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I feel ashamed and unclean for recognizing the lyric from that dog turd of a LMFAO song, but at least it saved me from the goose egg. Everything else in that category was either "what the ****??" or "WHO the ****???"

Russian work from the late 1800s? Xmas Eve? Instaget before Alex finished the clue.

LOL at that Trebek filibuster, though it would be nice if everyone played that fast.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I suspect the most plausible wrong answer was 1812 Overture. The time frame isn't that far from Tchaikovsky's death, and one might reason that the cannon part was previously known. Of course, this was already an answer to an FJ during the TOC. It was my initial reaction, but after realizing it didn't relate to the Christmas Eve TOM, I came up with Nutcracker.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Another well played game but the FJ clue was hardly worthy of a college tourney semifinal. They're kids but they're not kids.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,400
47 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rihanna, whisper campaign

Russian performance art + Christmas = The Nutcracker

Great comeback by Hannah, who really seemed to struggle with the signaling device for most of the J! round.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was worried one of them would write "What is the Nutcracker Suite?" Ooooh... sohrry.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Great timing for a special bulletin, NBC.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 pm The FJ! clue had me spending think time trying to imagine what kind of miss could occur since my pen was already down before the music began. Adding “Suite”, forgetting the category leading to going for the famous Menotti work, wrong Russian composer leading to detours… Nothing seemed likely to happen as “Christmas Eve” stood out as a flashing neon sign.
Well, there was the odd chance that one of them had too deep a knowledge of the classical repertoire. Rimsky-Korsakov wrote an opera called Christmas Eve some time between 1894 and 1895. Like The Nutcracker, it has an orchestral suite. It would require a peculiar blend of knowledge and derp to remember the Rimsky-Korsakov work and forget the Tchaikovsky, or to remember the Tchaikovsky work as well but go with the Rimsky-Korsakov.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

9021amyers wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm Great timing for a special bulletin, NBC.
ABC broke in just as they went to break before FJ. I thought it would be a wash for sure, but thankfully they "returned to your regular programming" just in time for the reading of the clue. Wow.

I can see Thatcher maybe not wanting to chance Hannah underwagering, but Eric, come on dude, that was just reckless.

The Elementary speaking category was teen tournament caliber.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

The Nutcracker jumped immediately to mind but I was a little nervous about the "excerpts had been popularized" wording as I didn't think that a troupe would perform excerpts of a ballet. Quickly decided that the music stood up well enough on its own that that was what was being referenced. (Ack, what an ugly sentence!)

Looking forward to seeing timing breakdown from PtheA; they were definitely flying today.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm All but Propane ...
You made Hank Hill sad. :(
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

For a second straight game, a single $2000 clue ended up being the difference between 1st and 2nd. Thatcher buzzed in on the lyrics category and got it wrong, while Hannah got the rebound. (Amusingly, LMFAO was the only clue I got in that category)

That was a $4000 swing, and the difference between 1st and 2nd was exactly $4000.

I thought the first DD was quite difficult. I got it wrong, being a scientist and all, but with "platinum" instead of "gold".

Speaking of which, that was optimal DD betting by Thatcher. Overall, the best game we've seen thus far in the tournament.
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm I feel ashamed and unclean for recognizing the lyric from that dog turd of a LMFAO song, but at least it saved me from the goose egg. Everything else in that category was either "what the ****??" or "WHO the ****???"
You and me both, brother.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I may have derped on FJ, I explained the clue to twelvefootgirl as looking for Nutcracker Suite but I think I'd have written only the Nutcracker as a Pavlov.

Like IronNeck, I thunked too fast and too hard about the elemental clue. First, I didn't recognize the category theme in time. If the clue didn't mention "metallic", then it is wrong, as element 6, carbon,in the form of diamond is the best thermal conductor in the universe. Fun fact
Spoiler
- diamond is called "ice" because it is cold to the touch because it is... wait for it... the best thermal conductor in nature. Bazinga.
And liquid Helium (below 3.2K) as well others (I think) exhibit superconductivity (zero electrical resistance) so there goes the best electrical conductor part. In spite of my regular use of this trivia, I Pavlov'd to Gold because of it's role in switch contacts. It is almost as good as Silver and it never corrodes in spite of jillions of sparks and lightning.

Great game, and I'm glad the leader didn't get bushwhacked by a TS. Horrible FJ betting all around, and not as good at DD betting either. Still, I've no problem with the "kids" approach being "go big or go home". Tonight was a perfect example of a game where a baseball or football type score window would have been nice. I knew the fur was flying but couldn't tell if it was a cage match or a runaway with the quick glimpses provided from the long shot.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm I feel ashamed and unclean for recognizing the lyric from that dog turd of a LMFAO song, but at least it saved me from the goose egg. Everything else in that category was either "what the ****??" or "WHO the ****???"
You and me both, brother.
It sounds like you two have a passion in your pants but are afraid to show it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

That lyric category was my first 0/5 in a long time where I couldn't even offer a guess on any of them.

In our area, the special report occluded FJ. We came back to see everyone congratulating Hannah.

In reading the clue, I'd like to think I'd've resisted the superfluous "Suite" from my answer. I know I've added it in the past. Now that I've thoroughly read about the difference, I hope I have it completely straight now.