Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

plasticene wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm Years ago I was in a church choir that sang an anthem in German based on this verse: Ich bin der Weg, die Wahrheit und das Leben. I thought it was cool that all three grammatical genders were represented: masculine, feminine, and neuter.
Interesting! In Latin, and also in the original Greek, all three words are feminine.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 pm
plasticene wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm Years ago I was in a church choir that sang an anthem in German based on this verse: Ich bin der Weg, die Wahrheit und das Leben. I thought it was cool that all three grammatical genders were represented: masculine, feminine, and neuter.
Interesting! In Latin, and also in the original Greek, all three words are feminine.

German throws me because there is NO pattern to whether a noun is male, female, or neither. And then, when you do have der/die/das down, they all change when you use the nominative, dative, and accusative cases. Come on, most people don't even know what those are in English! Why can't you make it easy and just use "the" for everything like we do?

(Semi-joking here. But MAN was that a stumbling block for me in German class.)
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Just wanted to say in response to earlier inquiry that I am one who got this Final mostly because of the Latin only - I'm taking an Elementary Latin class right now and was able to figure out the translation a few seconds in. I'm sure I've probably heard the religious expression in question before, but certainly didn't help me here.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

This whole "FJ disclaimer thing" is an extension of why I, as a Jew, complain about New Testament topics and questions.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 pm German throws me because there is NO pattern to whether a noun is male, female, or neither. And then, when you do have der/die/das down, they all change when you use the nominative, dative, and accusative cases. Come on, most people don't even know what those are in English! Why can't you make it easy and just use "the" for everything like we do?

Greek does the same. Even the definite article declines, and Greek sticks definite articles in front of nouns like a nervous tic. They stick one in front of your NAME. Latin, on the other hand, doesn't even HAVE a definite article. That's right. And you never even miss it. Latin is awesome.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 am I remember the verse as "I am the way, the truth, and the LIGHT
I started with via --> by way of --> the way... and blurted out "the way, the truth, and the light!" That gave me plenty of time to remember vita = life, akin to vital, vitality, vitamin. It's always nice to learn something new from watching J!, namely, that my pastors need to enunciate better. :lol:
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 am I'm sorely tempted to take Alex's reading of "These nuts" at the start of IT GROWS ON TREES, $400, out of context, and hope someone else does it so I don't have to.
I think someone at BOFA took care of that.

For FJ, I spent the first twenty seconds or so thinking they wanted a three-word phrase. I had "truth and life" but still had that pesky "via et" that wasn't doing anything. Once I figured that out, then recognized the quote, I realized it was just an ambiguously worded clue. Add me to the "'these 3 things' would have been fine" chorus.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 pm German throws me because there is NO pattern to whether a noun is male, female, or neither. And then, when you do have der/die/das down, they all change when you use the nominative, dative, and accusative cases. Come on, most people don't even know what those are in English! Why can't you make it easy and just use "the" for everything like we do?

Greek does the same. Even the definite article declines, and Greek sticks definite articles in front of nouns like a nervous tic. They stick one in front of your NAME. Latin, on the other hand, doesn't even HAVE a definite article. That's right. And you never even miss it. Latin is awesome.
Yes, German holds on to various conventions established much earlier for languages such as Classical Greek and Classical Latin. This also explains why the majority of verbs in German are irregular (it's a holdover from several competing methods of conjugation). For anyone who thinks German is too complicated, I advise them to look at Latin rules for declension. Yeehah!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 pm This whole "FJ disclaimer thing" is an extension of why I, as a Jew, complain about New Testament topics and questions.
I think the Bible - Old and New Testaments - are fair game but I think the show goes to that well far too often. As a result, the clues get pretty obscure so it's not enough to have just a passing familiarity with the Bible as literature, for example. (That said, I think the clues tend to skew heavily to the Old Testament with Revelation being the most notable exception).

I guess the flip side of that argument would be that they love asking about other types of mythology and some of those questions are pretty obscure as well.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 pm
MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 pm This whole "FJ disclaimer thing" is an extension of why I, as a Jew, complain about New Testament topics and questions.
I think the Bible - Old and New Testaments - are fair game but I think the show goes to that well far too often. As a result, the clues get pretty obscure so it's not enough to have just a passing familiarity with the Bible as literature, for example. (That said, I think the clues tend to skew heavily to the Old Testament with Revelation being the most notable exception).

I guess the flip side of that argument would be that they love asking about other types of mythology and some of those questions are pretty obscure as well.
Classical mythology, but yesterday's question about Garuda was the first I remember hearing about that. (The archive turns up two other mentions of Garuda, one of which was, like yesterday, a reference to the airline.) Hanuman appears 5 times. Ganesh, 13 times. (Ganesha, unlike Hanuman and Garuda, has a few questions where he is the response.) Krishna, 33 times when I subtract the clues that were missed answers by a contestant named Krishna (not all of which refer to the god--at least two refer to Ben Kingsley). Arjuna, one. Bhagavad-Gita, ten. Diwali, seven. Trimurti, three.

Vishnu, 61 results. Shiva, 56 results. Brahma, 51 results.

These are probably about equal in difficulty for a Hindu to what most Bible questions might be to a Christian. Not obscure (as far as I, who is not a Hindu, am concerned). And aside from the three gods of the Trimurti, not really all that well represented. (Also, I might note, most of the hits above were clues for a question about Hinduism.)

For comparison (although since these names are also represented in western history, not all hits will be the religious figure):
Moses, 416; Abraham, 497 (probably many of these are about Lincoln); John the Baptist 110; Jesus 815; Esau 113; Isaiah 66; Lucifer 29 (many of these are about cigarettes or flaming/burning objects, and not Lucifer); Jeremiah, 61; Pope John Paul, 138; Martin Luther 111 (when I subtract the number of hits for Martin Luther King)

I am not suggesting that Jeopardy! start throwing in a lot of mythology from Hinduism and other non-Classical sources. I understand that there is a target viewing audience, as well as a target group of contestants. I guess this was mostly me indulging my curiosity about how clues from a selected other religion compare to the Bible and Christianity.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

More zombie threads as I slowly catch up.

R: 22, W: 2, costing 1800
coryat: 12,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 2/3
LT: teak

Timings - much slower than the last two days, possibly due to more TS clues and a few wrong answers. But closer to average, so nothing unusually long, either.
3:17 + 3:07 = 6:24
6:42
1:25

The J! round was typical for me, but DJ was brutal. Only got 8 right in that round. Still, I only got stumped in the Golden Globes category.

I found FJ trivially easy, but then again I'm a practicing Christian. Plus that phrase hit 3 of the couple dozen latin words I know. (Four if you include "et".)
--Peter