Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7743, 2018-04-18

2018 College Championship semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Alli Ross, a sophomore at Worcester Polytechnic Institute from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Rishab Jain, a freshman at Georgia Tech from Memphis, Tennessee
Dhruv Gaur, a freshman at Brown University from Gainesville, Georgia

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We had a great game yesterday, and I don't know why, but I got teary-eyed at the end of the match. So Dhruv, Rishab and Alli, don't do that to me today, please. Take pity on an old man. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and here are the categories you three are dealing with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THIS IS MY COLLEGE FIGHT SONG (5/5)
21st CENTURY DEALS (5/5)
CLASSIC KIDS' BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOOD STUFF (5/5)
ALL AROUND YOUTUBE (3/5)
DOUBLE LETTERS IN THE MIDDLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alli: 12 R, 2 W
Dhruv: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rishab: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dhruv found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Dhruv had $1,000, Rishab was scoreless, and Alli was at $1,400. Dhruv made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

CLASSIC KIDS' BOOKS $400: Kids really dig this 1998 book featuring Stanley Yelnats & Zero, 2 of the young inmates at Camp Green Lake

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alli: $5,200
Dhruv: $3,200
Rishab: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alli Ross is a sophomore at Worcester Polytechnic Institute who recently received the Charles Thompson award. Tell me about that. I haven't heard of it.

Alli: Yes. It's an award for WPI students, and they award it to freshmen, or first-year students, who have shown superior academic performance in their first-year classes.

Alex: That's wonderful. Terrific.

Alex: Rishab is a freshman.

Rishab: Yes, sir.

Alex: Your major is material science and chemistry. And you're currently a member of the Georgia Tech honors program. I want you tell me about that.

Rishab: So basically it's this pretty tight-knit group of about 200 kids at Georgia Tech. We all live in the same dorms, we all eat together, that sort of thing. I like to think of it as just a really large fraternity that happens to be in really close quarters in a dorm. I like to also think of it as a cult. Don't judge me for that one.

Alex: Mm...

Rishab: But don't worry. It'll be okay. If you want to join us, just let me know. I'll help you out.

Alex: Do you think they would allow me in that prestigious group?

Rishab: I think we could make a couple exceptions.

[Laughter]

Alex: That's why I love working with these young people. They stick it to you.

Alex: Dhruv Gaur from Gainesville, Georgia. You were a teaching assistant at a language camp. A Hindi language camp. Where?

Dhruv: Right. So in Atlanta, we have a language camp called Star Talk that was established using government grant money. And we have a bunch of middle-school-age kids, and we divided them into five levels, based on their language proficiency. And the summer before my senior year of high school, I got to teach and then also spend a lot of time with the kids, speaking in Hindi and then also, like, educating them on Indian culture, and a lot of things like that. And it was one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALL AROUND YOUTUBE $1000: Unboxing videos open containers of new devices; these kinds of videos break open the device to see what's inside

ALL AROUND YOUTUBE $600: The directors of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" shaped their film to avoid being mocked by this fake coming attractions show

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alli: $7,200
Dhruv: $5,400
Rishab: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU KNEW THERE'D BE MATH (5/5)
AS DEFINED BY RANDOM HOUSE (3/5)
IT GROWS ON TREES (4/5)
BARBARIANS AT THE GATES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"R" TOWN (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alli: 7 R, 0 W
Dhruv: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Rishab: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dhruv snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Dhruv had $8,200, Rishab had $6,000, and Alli was at $8,800. Dhruv wagered $4,000.

BARBARIANS AT THE GATES $1200: These barbarians whose name means "destroyer" crossed the Rhine River & sacked Rome in 455 A.D.

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rishab who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Dhruv had $9,400, Rishab had $5,200, and Alli was at $14,000. Rishab made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

"R" TOWN $800: This North Carolina city founded in 1792 is named for a man who died in 1618
(Alex: Named for Sir Walter [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AS DEFINED BY RANDOM HOUSE $1600: "A German emperor"

"R" TOWN $1200: Once known as Pile O' Bones, in 1882 this western Canadian city was renamed in honor of Queen Victoria

AS DEFINED BY RANDOM HOUSE $1200: A breakfast "batter cake", or "to speak or write equivocally"

"R" TOWN $1600: At the age of 5 George Eastman moved there with this family

"R" TOWN $2000: It's at the head of navigation of the James River

IT GROWS ON TREES $2000: The furniture seen here is made from the wood of this 4-letter tree
(Dhruv: What is pine?)

BARBARIANS AT THE GATES $2000: In 568 A.D. King Alboin led this nomadic people over the Alps in an invasion & settlement of northern Italy
(Dhruv: Who are the Tuscans?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alli: $16,800
Dhruv: $13,400
Rishab: $12,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE LATIN VULGATE BIBLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Alli: Wager $10,001 to cover Dhruv.
Dhruv: You ought to wager to cover Rishab, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $13,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $10,600 (to shut out Rishab) or less than $6,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Rishab). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Alli.
Rishab: Consider risking between $1,401 and $5,200. This will top a $0 wager by Dhruv while still beating Alli on the Triple Stumper (should Alli wager to cover Dhruv's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Latin Jesus says, I am "via et veritas et vita"--in English, these 3 words

FINAL SCORES
Rishab: $12,000 - $5,000 = $7,000 (What is living in truth/) (2nd place: $10,000)
Dhruv: $13,400 + $6,600 = $20,000 (What are way, truth, life?) (Finalist)
Alli: $16,800 - $10,001 = $6,799 (What is road to truth?) (3rd place: $10,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alli: $16,800, 19 R, 2 W
Dhruv: $10,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Rishab: $7,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alli: 19/58 = .328
Dhruv: 19/60 = .317
Rishab: 14/59 = .237
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THIS IS MY COLLEGE FIGHT SONG $400: "We live in fame or go down in flame! Hey! Nothing'll stop" this military academy
(Alli: What is West Point?)
(Dhruv; What is the Naval Academy?)

CLASSIC KIDS' BOOKS $200: He's the royal elephant created by illustrator Jean de Brunhoff

ALL AROUND YOUTUBE $400: "After Hours" & "Excessive Pop Culture Discussion" are 2 shows on this fractured website's channel
(Alli: What is Crackle?)

IT GROWS ON TREES $1200: These large nuts grow in pods that look like coconuts on trees in the Amazon forest
(Rishab: What are almonds?)

THE GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS $2000: Seen here is this winner for her performance in the 2015 movie "Room"

IT GROWS ON TREES $400: These nuts grow on Ohio's state tree

YOU KNEW THERE'D BE MATH $400: A rabbi, a priest & a minister walk into this type of graph seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
Holes
teardown videos
Honest Trailers
the Vandals
Raleigh
a kaiser
Regina, Saskatchewan
waffle
Rochester, New York
Richmond, Virginia
teak
the Lombards
way, truth, life
the U.S. Air Force Academy
Babar
Cracked
Brazil nuts
Brie Larson
buckeyes
a bar graph
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE LATIN VULGATE BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Latin Jesus says, I am “via et veritas et vita”--in English, these 3 words

Dhruv Gaur: 13400+6600=20000
Rishab Jain: 12000-5000=7000
Alli Ross: 16800-10001=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
way, truth, life (Rishab – living in truth) (Alli – road to truth)

Daily Doubles
Dhruv: 1000+1000
Dhruv: 8200+4000
Rishab: 5200+5200

Coryats
Dhruv: 10000
Rishab: 7600
Alli: 16800

Combined: 34,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dhruv: 5400
Rishab: 3200
Alli: 7200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

THIS IS MY COLLEGE FIGHT SONG $200: Students at this school sing, “Drown ‘em Tide!...Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave”

Rishab got it right. Awkward!

It was a super skunk for me with ALL AROUND YOUTUBE as I was 0/6 including the J!6 clue.

The FJ! clue had me grateful for the think time as I had to put together a combination of what Latin I’ve learned from watching J! with Bible knowledge to get the three words. I kind of took each V word one by one to associate it with some other word or phrase I’ve seen to see how it went with scripture. Whatever works.

If the clue had gone TS then Rishab and his 7000 would have moved on as Dhruv’s fall-to mark was 6800, a buck above Alli’s 6799.

Before Alex revealed the FJ! clue he remarked, “…Our games on Jeopardy! are selected long before we know who the players are going to be.”

Dhruv posted this on Reddit: About Alex’s disclaimer—when he spoke to us after the show he explained that he didn’t want to make it seem to viewers that Alli had an unfair advantage on a Bible question since many viewers would presume (accurately) that neither Rishab nor I are Christian
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
And on the third day, Wpwells rose.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 pm
Wpwells wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
And on the third day, Wpwells rose.
:lol: :lol:
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I was happy that three of my favorite books (Grinch, Number the Stars, and Holes) were answers today.

DJ! was brutal to me, getting 4 questions right, none more than $800.

I said Son of God for FJ! (I don't know latin)
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 pm Before Alex revealed the FJ! clue he remarked, “…Our games on Jeopardy! are selected long before we know who the players are going to be.”
I remember Alex saying the disclaimer from the infamous Emancipation Proclamation game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought Alex's comment was in reaction to this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4639

It was funny when the Georgia Tech guy got the clue about the lyrics to Alabama's fight song. Bama and Tech were in the same conference for many years and were bitter rivals. Tech left the SEC in 1964 and they have only met a few times since. But the old rivalry is why they get a shoutout in the fight song. Just before that line the song says "Go teach the Bulldogs to behave". So clearly whoever wrote the song had issues with the Peach State.

FJ was just a matter of piecing together the Latin translation to get me to 3/3 for the week. A gutsy bet by Dhruv after the trailers in the first two games this week had all gone big in FJ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I found this FJ clue to be awkwardly worded, as if they literally wanted a three word phrase - no more, no less. And again, if the writers were trying for equally difficult FJ for each of the three semi-finals, this one seemed much more difficult. Yesterday, it's basically a Kids' Week clue and today's was something more appropriate for the Finals.

That said, the three finalists seem pretty evenly matched.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:48 pm I found this FJ clue to be awkwardly worded, as if they literally wanted a three word phrase - no more, no less.
I thought the same initially until I pieced through the Latin and remembered the Bible verse. My gut feeling tells me Twitter rage will be high on this one.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

As a former seminary student, I would have been in serious trouble had I missed that FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 pm It was a super skunk for me with ALL AROUND YOUTUBE as I was 0/6 including the J!6 clue.
Didn't see the J!6, but I'm sure I would join you in the 0-fer (and 1-for-Children's Books, so it wasn't the best of J! rounds for me).

Thankfully, my Latin is good enough to get the correct 3 words.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Terabithia in the Kids' Books category.

Ran the Food category.

College Fight Song felt very YEKIOYD. Fight songs are dumb anyway. They all sound the same anyway.

NHO "Lady Bird", and looking it up on Wikipedia, I recognize absolutely none of the names attached to it either. Any reason I should know it?

NHO any of those terms in the Math category. Second derivatives?! Semi-prime?!? Bar graph?!?

"Preventative inocculation to confer immunity"? In English please?

Total brain cramp. "The something and the life" was all I had, and the rest wouldn't come in time.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I agree the FJ clue could have been worded better. After I figured out what they were looking for I got truth and life pretty quick but it took me to the 29th second to go from via to road to street to path to way (and that only because the verse suddenly popped into my head).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woo hoo, Dhruv!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm surprised by the sole get. Three fairly easy Latin words connected by a couple of "et"s. A fairly well-known saying of Jesus. I'll be interested to see how this one polls.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:12 pm It was funny when the Georgia Tech guy got the clue about the lyrics to Alabama's fight song. Bama and Tech were in the same conference for many years and were bitter rivals. Tech left the SEC in 1964 and they have only met a few times since. But the old rivalry is why they get a shoutout in the fight song. Just before that line the song says "Go teach the Bulldogs to behave". So clearly whoever wrote the song had issues with the Peach State.
Bamaman probably knows this, but for you non-Bama fans out there: When the fight song was written in the 1930s, Georgia and Georgia Tech were the main school rivals. This was in the middle of the 40 years that Alabama and Auburn did not play each other, so they aren't in the fight song! It also references winning in the Rose Bowl, which they had done a few times to that point, but of course couldn't play in during most of my lifetime.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I would be interested in knowing if anyone was able to suss out FJ just from the Latin alone, without having heard the verse before.
i didn't think of Alex's disclamer being about FJ and Ally being more likely familiar with the verse, I thought it was having to do with Rishab having to deal with a fight song insulting his university.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm I'm surprised by the sole get. Three fairly easy Latin words connected by a couple of "et"s. A fairly well-known saying of Jesus. I'll be interested to see how this one polls.
Two of the players thought the clue was looking for a phrase, understandably. One thought that "via" means "road"...which it does, right?
A weird clue...if Alex has to defend it before hand, that could be a sign of trouble. (Did he assume that Alli is a Christian?) If you're going to use it, why not ask for the 7-word phrase anyway...?