Thursday, April 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7744, 2018-04-19

2018 College Championship final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Dhruv Gaur, a freshman at Brown University from Gainesville, Georgia
Hannah Sage, a sophomore at the University of Central Florida from Sarasota, Florida
William Scott, a freshman at Tufts University from Los Altos, California

OPENING REMARKS
[During contestant introductions, the contestants mime passing and shooting a basketball.]

Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. These three young people work well together, don't they? That last shot, William, was a swish. Net only. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the College Championship trophy that one of these three--William, Hannah, or Dhruv--will get to take home with them at the end of tomorrow's program. They will also have their name inscribed on the big College Championship trophy, which does not travel. It's too big, too heavy. Oh, by the way, they will also go home knowing that they have won at least $100,000. Dhruv, Hannah, William, good luck. Here we go into the first half. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU KIDS & YOUR MUSIC THESE DAYS (5/5)
MYTH-POURRI (5/5)
KILLER APPS (4/5)
SNIPPETS FROM MY COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS (2/3)
GETTING HISTORICAL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UNBEATABLE WORDS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a shorter word composed of the letters in the word "unbeatable".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dhruv: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
William: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Hannah: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
William: $3,000
Hannah: $2,600
Dhruv: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dhruv Gaur is a freshman at Brown University. And you've been taking a course on pain and the human condition. Why?

Dhruv: Well, it does sound kind of dark, but if you think about it, pain is a very universal human experience that we all, like, we all feel, but that at the same time, we can't explain it to each other, and it's hard to, like, rank pain and describe pain. So the class went through a lot of different viewpoints on pain. Different cultural viewpoints, sociological, psychological, and also the biological mechanisms behind pain. And we also talked a lot about the opioid addiction epidemic that's kind of ravaging the country today, which was the main reason I took the course.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Dhruv is a freshman; Hannah, you are a sophomore. Two freshmen and a sophomore. To what do you attribute that? What's happening in our society? You kids are getting smarter at a younger age? Is that it?

Hannah: I mean, that's entirely possible. I have no idea. I think we've all just played really good games, and we've been lucky enough to get categories that we like in the games we've played.

Alex: That's very important. A lot of our viewers realize that it depends to a great extent on the categories. And you've made it pay off so far.

Alex: Now, William Scott, you're a freshman. How did you acquire so much knowledge at such a young age?

William: Gosh. I mean, I've been playing quiz bowl for a while, but really, I think it's just I really like paying attention to things in life and then impressing people when I, like, remember things later on.

Alex: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Please say that again, for the benefit of all of the adults and the young people in our audience.

William: Yeah, I like to--

Alex: Pay attention.

William: Pay attention to things in life, and then I can impress people by knowing it later on.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dhruv found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. William had $5,000, Hannah had $3,600, and Dhruv was at $2,800. Dhruv made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

GETTING HISTORICAL $1000: On Sept. 25, 1950 U.S. Marines retook this Asian capital city
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KILLER APPS $800: People who do odd jobs via this app are called "taskers", not "bunnies"

UNBEATABLE WORDS $600: If you laze around at work, you may hear the old line that starts "If you've got time to" do this"
(Alex: If you've got time to [*], then you've got time to clean.)

SNIPPETS FROM MY COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS $1000: I leave you with the 1653 words of this British statesman: "You have sat too long here... in the name of God, go!"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dhruv: $7,800
William: $5,000
Hannah: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FICTIONAL STUDENTS (3/5)
FAMOUS PAIRS' OTHER NAMES (5/5)
WORLD PLAYS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STRAIGHT "A"s IN SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOING UNDERGROUND (5/5)
ALLITERATION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hannah: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
William: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Dhruv: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dhruv snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. William had $5,000, Hannah had $4,400, and Dhruv was at $9,000. Dhruv wagered $3,000.

STRAIGHT "A"s IN SCIENCE $1600: Immunoglobulins, which attack foreign substances inside you, are AKA these

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was William who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. William had $7,800, Hannah had $8,400, and Dhruv was at $10,000. William wagered $6,000.

WORLD PLAYS $1600: This 5-letter Greek tragedy from Euripides is not a good choice for Mother's Day

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FICTIONAL STUDENTS $400: The "Me" of this novel title is "a senior a Benson High School in lovely inner-city Pittsburgh"

WORLD PLAYS $2000: The German play "Frühlings Erwachen" became this alt-rock musical in 2006

ALLITERATION $2000: Money given to someone who arranges a business deal

FICTIONAL STUDENTS $1600: Max Fisher takes on Bill Murray & the establishment at this title school in a Wes Anderson movie

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dhruv: $18,000
William: $16,600
Hannah: $15,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORIC SITES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dhruv: Wager $15,201 to cover William.
William: You ought to wager to cover Hannah, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $16,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $14,600 (to shut out Hannah) or less than $13,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Hannah). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dhruv.
Hannah: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $12,800. This will top a $0 wager by William while still beating Dhruv and William on the Triple Stumper (should Dhruv wager to cover William's doubled score and William wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its official seal includes the year 1864 for when it was established, a folded flag & a scroll inscribed "our most sacred shrine"

FINAL SCORES
Hannah: $15,600 - $8,000 = $7,600 (What is the Lincoln Memorial?)
William: $16,600 - $16,600 = $0 (What is the Gettysburg memorial?)
Dhruv: $18,000 - $9,000 = $9,000 (What is Gettysburg? Tomb of the unknown se)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Hannah: $15,600, 15 R, 0 W
Dhruv: $14,800, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
William: $12,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $42,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Dhruv: 19/60 = .317
William: 17/59 = .288
Hannah: 15/58 = .259
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GETTING HISTORICAL $800: In this ancient practice, 4 separate jars were designated for the storage of different internal organs
(Alex: In ancient Egypt.)

UNBEATABLE WORDS $400: A sacrifice on the diamond
(Dhruv: What is... a steal?)

YOU KIDS & YOUR MUSIC THESE DAYS $400: He's the multiple Grammy-winning artist heard here

YOU KIDS & YOUR MUSIC THESE DAYS $800: This 2018 Grammy winner is heard "Here"

SNIPPETS FROM MY COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS $600: So dance, dance like this "World of Dance" judge was watching you

STRAIGHT "A"s IN SCIENCE $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a wave on the monitor.) The distance between two peaks of a wave is the wavelength; the distance from the peak to the wave's midpoint is this 9-letter word
(Dhruv: What is the altitude?)

ALLITERATION $1600: (Iain Armitage of Young Sheldon presents the clue.) The journal Cognition reports that adults can be taught this ability to identify musical notes by ear, though generally it appears in childhood

FICTIONAL STUDENTS $2000: Jerry Renault, Brother Leon & Archie Costello all return in Robert Cormier's "Beyond" this struggle
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

GOING UNDERGROUND $1200: Marble walls & an image of this distinguished comrade complete the picture of Moscow's metro

CORRECT RESPONSES
Seoul
TaskRabbit
lean
Oliver Cromwell
antibodies
Medea
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Spring Awakening
a finder's fee
Rushmore
Arlington National Cemetery
mummification
a bunt
Bruno Mars
Alessia Cara
(Jennifer) Lopez
amplitude
perfect pitch
the Chocolate War
Lenin
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORIC SITES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its official seal includes the year 1864 for when it was established, a folded flag & a scroll inscribed “our most sacred shrine”

William Scott: 16600-16600=0
Hannah Sage: 15600-8000=7600
Dhruv Gaur: 18000-9000=9000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arlington National Cemetery (William – Gettysburg Memorial) (Hannah – Lincoln Memorial) (Dhruv: Gettysburg Tomb of the Unknown S[looked like e, could be r?]

Daily Doubles
Dhruv: 2800+2800
Dhruv: 9000+3000
William: 7800+6000

Coryats
William: 12200
Hannah: 15600
Dhruv: 14800

Combined: 42,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
William: 5000
Hannah: 3600
Dhruv: 7800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players had fun with their coordinated opening and it’s nice to be relaxed going into an important 2-day match. What will they do tomorrow? They have to have some kind of follow-up in store.

Yay, I got 2 in YOU KIDS & YOUR MUSIC THESE DAYS as the acts for $200 & $400 are not for young people only.

The FJ! clue got the students and me as well. I wrote Gettysburg in not thinking it was right as I knew Lincoln’s address was 1863, but in trying something, anything to jog my memory for a better guess. Nope, did not work.

Some previous clues matching the correct place and year:
Spoiler

#7541, aired 2017-05-29 ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Arlington National Cemetery.) Here lies Lieutenant John Meigs, killed in Virginia in 1864; his father, the Union quartermaster, put many graves near the former home of this Confederate foe, to make sure he could not return to what had been his family's estate

#5217, aired 2007-04-24 THE MANSION FAMILY $800: Arlington House was this man's family mansion until confiscated by the U.S. government in 1864

#2837, aired 1996-12-24 MANSIONS $400: In 1864 Arlington House & its grounds were confiscated by the Union from this general's wife Mary

#1023, aired 1989-02-01 AMERICAN HISTORY $200: The 1st soldier buried in this national cemetery was a Confederate prisoner who died in 1864

Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)
#4249, aired 2003-02-06 HISTORIC AMERICAN PLACES: Over 260,000 people have been buried here, starting in 1864
Wish I had the common sense to have thought of the place in 30 seconds. DDs may tell the story more than the FJ! round tomorrow. It’s wide open as 9000, 7600 & 1400 are not huge deficits or leads.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

A pretty tough FJ because what is the likelihood than anyone would know the correct response? An educated guess was probably as good as it is going to get with this type of clue, i.e., Gettysburg is probably wrong because of it so what's the other national "shrine" that would have been started in the waning of the Civil War? But unless you've been to DC and visited Arlington, it's probably not something that comes immediately to mind for most folks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Overzealous fast forwarding spoiled the results of FJ as I could see it was a TS. But I did not see the responses, so I could still play along. I was prepared for a toughie, but I got it pretty quickly.

I guess it helps if you know it was established during the Civil War. It is on land once owned by Robert E. Lee.

I hated to see the TS. I was hoping they’d fly over the guarantees on Day One.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Folded flag + Civil War era + shrine led me to military cemetery. "Most sacred" took me to Arlington. 9/9 for the tournament.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I did happen upon Arlington pretty quickly, though with about a 75% level of confidence. (I have been there, perhaps lending some credence to the above hypothesis.)
Leander

Post by Leander »

Initially thought of Gettysburg, but the clue components pointed to a cemetery, not a battlefield, and I quickly moved to Arlington although I was unsure of the date.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Saw no way to figure out "colonies" in the top box.

Didn't recognize anything in Music or Apps, in the sense that I've heard of P!nk but not that song, and knew the song "Here" but not who it was by.

NHO "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" either. Poll request?

Ice Cream + two names = always a coinflip on Ben & Jerry's or Baskin-Robbins. Any suggestions on narrowing them down?

Seattle having a fire and an underground was news to me. Could be any city in Seattle, even in the top box.

I HAVE perfect pitch and still couldn't work from "play by ear" in time.

Blah blah 1864, folded flag, "most sacred shrine" = I got nothing. Even the "on the right track" comment didn't nudge my brain in any direction.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:47 pm Ice Cream + two names = always a coinflip on Ben & Jerry's or Baskin-Robbins. Any suggestions on narrowing them down?
The show has only once given you the first names of Baskin and Robbins (Burton and Irv, for the record) and asked for their company, and even then gave you the hint "a different flavor for each day of the month".

Also, Ben and Jerry are first names, while Baskin and Robbins are last names.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Like Dhruv (Yay, Dhruv!), I got to Tomb of the Unknown pretty quickly, but it wasn't feeling right. So a little more thought got me to Arlington National Cemetery pretty quickly after that. The only thing that made sense. BTW, whenever I go to Costco, I pass the cemetery. It's a sobering sight.

Gettysburg wasn't a bad guess; Lincoln's address was in 1863 at the dedication of the cemetery there.

Here's hoping Dhruv cleans up on Day 2 ...
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I considered the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but I dismissed it because I knew that much of the grounds of the cemetery were originally the property of the family of Robert E Lee, and 1864 seemed too early for that (I figured they would at least wait until after the war).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

High quality of play, including a few gets on things I've never heard of (The Chocolate War?!). I only had a single LT, which hasn't happened in many months on either the College or Adult version of the show. I also scored my first 0/5 in a while, predictably on the modern music category.

Speaking of which, I thought for sure Pink was like 50 and long since retired. Turns out she's 38; who knew?

Missed FJ; thought of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, realized that it was only done in the early 1900s, and then floundered with "Gettysburg Memorial" instead of connecting the dots to Arlington National Cemetery. Ugh.

I like the aggressive FJ (and DD) betting, even if it didn't work out in this case.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:47 pm Ice Cream + two names = always a coinflip on Ben & Jerry's or Baskin-Robbins. Any suggestions on narrowing them down?
If you thought "Baskin Cohen" and "Robbins Greenfield" were plausible names I'm not sure we can do much to help you.

I went to Tomb of the Unknown Soldier after briefly drawing a blank. My dad and I exchanged responses; he had Arlington, and I thought that was a much better response than mine.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 pm
If you thought "Baskin Cohen" and "Robbins Greenfield" were plausible names I'm not sure we can do much to help you.

The clue didn't specify first or last though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 pm

The clue didn't specify first or last though.
So are you saying that "Cohen Baskin," "Greenfield Robbins," "Cohen Ben," and "Greenfield Jerry" are also plausible names?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Oliver Cromwell

Ran You Kids and Your Music These Days, Other Names, A's in Science, and Underground.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I've been to Arlington 3 times, know the Robert E. Lee connection, yada yada. But I was sandbagged by the year - the war wasn't over or just barely was (I wasn't sure) so how the hell can the same country that can't get a soldier an appointment at the VA in 18 months commission a memorial/monument/something so quickly. So I guessed Gettysburg with some measure of confidence. To quote the Sec. Energy - Oops.

The wagering in FJ played like I thought it would. One or two would go all in and one or two would hedge. I don't like the dynamic of the Day 1 play normally, but they were properly aggressive and stayed clam to build their nest eggs. A fun group of charismatic memelords.

I think the writers jumped the shark on "if you have time to lean you have time to clean". Anybody here heard that one?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 pm I think the writers jumped the shark on "if you have time to lean you have time to clean". Anybody here heard that one?
I hear it constantly at work.