Sports Jeopardy Still Alive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Sports Jeopardy Still Alive

Post by oduguy22 »

For those of you who still want Sports Jeopardy well there is still hope. According to Dan Patrick himself on this recent article it looks like they are still looking for a suitor.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/18/an-in ... or-turner/
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sports Jeopardy Still Alive

Post by Anachronism »

It would be great if it could find a home, but the format makes it a difficult fit anywhere. Trivia is far too nerdy for an audience like ESPN's always in search of the "hawt take" and Patrick's vision of Sports Jeopardy is far too whimsical for an audience like Jeopardy's, where the greatly reduced board and the constant emoting alienates many trivia enthusiasts.

Of course, Netflix will take anything on for the right price, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm It would be great if it could find a home, but the format makes it a difficult fit anywhere. Trivia is far too nerdy for an audience like ESPN's always in search of the "hawt take" and Patrick's vision of Sports Jeopardy is far too whimsical for an audience like Jeopardy's, where the greatly reduced board and the constant emoting alienates many trivia enthusiasts.
That's an astute observation. Personally, I skip through contestant interviews on regular Jeopardy whenever I can, so the extended non-trivia portions of Sports Jeopardy are a huge turn-off. So yeah, that will inevitably turn off the already diminished viewer base for a sports trivia show.
Anachronism wrote:Of course, Netflix will take anything on for the right price, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
Does Netflix have any game shows? I think they tend to stay away from them.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Seems weird to be talking about it being picked up by a streaming service when it was already on a streaming service -- but I guess Netflix and Amazon have deeper pockets than what's in the Crackle budget.
clprez

Post by clprez »

ESPN announce a week or so ago that they are going to have a new online streaming service. At the time I wondered if perhaps this would be a good home for Sports Jeopardy.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:59 pm
Anachronism wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm It would be great if it could find a home, but the format makes it a difficult fit anywhere. Trivia is far too nerdy for an audience like ESPN's always in search of the "hawt take" and Patrick's vision of Sports Jeopardy is far too whimsical for an audience like Jeopardy's, where the greatly reduced board and the constant emoting alienates many trivia enthusiasts.
That's an astute observation. Personally, I skip through contestant interviews on regular Jeopardy whenever I can, so the extended non-trivia portions of Sports Jeopardy are a huge turn-off. So yeah, that will inevitably turn off the already diminished viewer base for a sports trivia show.
Anachronism wrote:Of course, Netflix will take anything on for the right price, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
i do the same...i record jeopardy...i usually start watching it 11 minutes after it starts...that is the time where you can begin it and won't have to worry about being caught up to the live airing and can ffwd without that happening...i never watch the interviews...get rid of them and add another category...we want trivia and not babbling
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

clprez wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:46 pm ESPN announce a week or so ago that they are going to have a new online streaming service. At the time I wondered if perhaps this would be a good home for Sports Jeopardy.
it isn't really new...it is just espn3, but now costs money
billiej

Post by billiej »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:01 pm
IronNeck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:59 pm
i do the same...i record jeopardy...i usually start watching it 11 minutes after it starts...that is the time where you can begin it and won't have to worry about being caught up to the live airing and can ffwd without that happening...i never watch the interviews...get rid of them and add another category...we want trivia and not babbling
Oddly enough, while I feel that way about "regular" Jeopardy (I always FF through the chat whenever possible), I actually find it entertaining and refreshing on Sports J. Maybe it's because I'm completely useless in regards to sports trivia, so the questions don't matter as much. My bf is a big sports fan and I get a kick out of watching him get a lot of the questions...payback for him sitting through my little obsession, I suppose. :lol:
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:01 pm i do the same...i record jeopardy...i usually start watching it 11 minutes after it starts...that is the time where you can begin it and won't have to worry about being caught up to the live airing and can ffwd without that happening...i never watch the interviews...get rid of them and add another category...we want trivia and not babbling
I don't care for the interview segments either (unless I know a contestant) but if you desire to be on the show, it pays to watch them to help you shine at the contestant searches.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not holding my breath on a revival, but who knows.

I like sports and sports trivia, but I wasn't a huge fan of the show. It tried too hard to be cutesy with the poses in the stands and Dan's monologue to start the show. I didn't like the smaller board. I also didn't like having to watch on Crackle as it tended to freeze up a lot. When they put the Deacdes players old games on there I was hoping they'd make good use of the J channel by showing more old games,

I watch the interviews, It gives me a little insight into the players and also gives a chance to rest my mind a bit watching the show. But I don't pay super-close attention to them.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 am I don't care for the interview segments either (unless I know a contestant) but if you desire to be on the show, it pays to watch them to help you shine at the contestant searches.
Yes. Way back in the "old days" when you could take the test at the studio if you were visiting LA (that was my first attempt, while I was attending the E3 convention in 2000), you filled out a form with five phrases leading to stories you could tell in the interview segment. I wondered about that. What are five things anyone would ever want to hear about me? I almost would consider going to friends and "borrowing" their funny stories. Or just have the ability to say something simple like "I collect stamps" and know how to state one fact about it that wouldn't sound braggy or incomprehensible or go on too long. That's a real skill.

People have boutique businesses for just about everything these days. Helping people come up with "five interesting 20-second stories you can tell at any party" sounds like a great business premise.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:02 pm
clprez wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:46 pm ESPN announce a week or so ago that they are going to have a new online streaming service. At the time I wondered if perhaps this would be a good home for Sports Jeopardy.
it isn't really new...it is just espn3, but now costs money
ESPN 3 and ESPN+ are not the same thing (although + will show some of 3's content).
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Anything new on this front? I haven't heard much on this recently, which leaves me discouraged.