Monday, April 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, April 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:58 pm
davey wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:09 am
dhkendall wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am Lost the Articles of Confederation / Bill of Rights coin flip. (Albeit a weighted coin as I wound up convincing myself the AoC were in place at, or no less than a couple months after, the time the Declaration was signed.
A better weight for the other side would be remembering that the Bill of Rights amended the Constitution. Also, as others have pointed out, the grammar of the clue required a plural response... :geek:
Both are plural. (At least in my reasoning: Bill of Rights, Articles of Confederation; ten elements to the Bill of Rights, some number I don’t know of but that’s gotta be greater than one to the Articles of Confederation ...)
Bill of Rights is no more plural than a chest of drawers is.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't hear the name Matthew Henson without thinking of this comedy skit (N.B. Yes, he confuses the South and North Poles, it's very un-PC, and one of his few that are not NSFW):

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Got crazy busy and fell way behind on my Jeopardy! viewing but hearing that RuPaul was serving up clues brought me back!

I’m really impressed with Jeopardy! for bringing on RuPaul to do an entire category of films featuring men in drag. The audience obviously loved it because they responded with applause - first time I’ve ever seen that for a video category. I’m only a little bit sad that I wasn’t called up for this game

Ran Women in Shakespeare because, well, Shakespeare. But Alex should have acknowledged April 23rd as his birthday

Had to explain the plot of King Lear to a co-worker today. Very excited to see Lear tomorrow at BAM with Anthony Scher, after seeing Glenda Jackson and Laurie Metcalf in Three Tall Women on Saturday. My rent may be more than your mortgage, but NYC has great theatre

I’d read Kate’s children’s book.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:19 pm Ran Women in Shakespeare because, well, Shakespeare. But Alex should have acknowledged April 23rd as his birthday
That reminds me of a fun trivium. William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes both died on April 23, 1616. Which one died first and how much time elapsed between the two deaths?
Spoiler
a) They died at more or less the same time.
b) Cervantes died first by about an hour.
c) Cervantes died first by about a day.
d) Cervantes died first by about 10 days.
Spoiler
Cervantes died first by about 10 days.
Spoiler
England, being Protestant, was still on the Julian calendar rather than the one that had been instituted by Pope Gregory in 1582. So when Cervantes died on April 23 in Spain, it was only April 13 in England. Of course, Cervantes may actually have died on April 22. His grave says April 23, but that may have been the burial date. If you knew of that possibility, you might have been tempted by choice c). Choices a) and b) were there to tempt people who thought maybe there was a remarkable coincidence and their deaths were recorded at the exact same time. (Choice b was for those who further reasoned that Madrid time is about an hour ahead of Stratford and felt very clever for spotting the trick.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:04 am I can't hear the name Matthew Henson without thinking of this comedy skit
It was an episode of Fresh Prince if Bel-Air where will refuses to let his answer of Henson be marked incorrect (the intended answer was “Peary”) that made Hensen stick on my mind - no I can’t remember if the test question asked for the first person to reach the pole, and I realize we don’t know who of Henson or Peary got there first (as we don’t know which of Norway or Hillary submitted Everest first, but I think I heard that Norgay admitted many years later it was Hillary), but the point of the episode was about Will’s protesting the whitewash of history.

(In other news my kids are really getting into old Fresh Prince episodes airing on TV, and are impressed I can still rattle off the full version of the opening theme.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Shakespeare Women (3), Vegas 3), European History (5), Furniture (0), Love (1), Ruview (4)
5-Letter Lands (5), TV Episode (3), Philosophy (0), Zodiac Rhyme Time (3), Customs (3), "De"clare (3)

Lach Trash: Cressida, Malta; Daily Double: Haiti

Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex Trebek will be on the 5/3 episode of RuPaul's Drag Race this coming Thursday (8-10 p.m.) according the show's listing.

Audra McDonald & Kate Upton are judges and Alex Trebek & Bianca Del Rio are special guests. The program airs on VH1.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

As one who has never watched that show, may I ask what Alex will be wearing?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:46 am As one who has never watched that show, may I ask what Alex will be wearing?
PICTURES PLEASE!

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:26 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:46 am As one who has never watched that show, may I ask what Alex will be wearing?
PICTURES PLEASE!
Here you go:
Spoiler
This was a Gaily Double during Snatch Game (the drag contestants were playing the six celebrities - Maya Angelou, Beyonce, Blue Ivy, Honey Boo Boo, Maxine Waters and Melania Trump) and Alex said something about instead of responding in the form of a question.

The regular celebrities playing the part of the two contestants trying to match the queens were Kate Upton and Audra McDonald.

Later there was some kind of judging and Alex had this comment about one portrayal.

It was a 2-hour show that I sped through in less than 10 minutes, so if Alex did more I missed it. I never saw him in anything other than suit & tie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Good thing he shaved off his mustache. He would have looked silly in that outfit with it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:19 am
dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:26 pm
PICTURES PLEASE!
Here you go:
Spoiler
This was a Gaily Double during Snatch Game (the drag contestants were playing the six celebrities - Maya Angelou, Beyonce, Blue Ivy, Honey Boo Boo, Maxine Waters and Melania Trump) and Alex said something about instead of responding in the form of a question.

The regular celebrities playing the part of the two contestants trying to match the queens were Kate Upton and Audra McDonald.

Later there was some kind of judging and Alex had this comment about one portrayal.

It was a 2-hour show that I sped through in less than 10 minutes, so if Alex did more I missed it. I never saw him in anything other than suit & tie.
Not what I was expecting/hoping for when I asked.