Tuesday, April 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 pm Kate's wager on DD3 was sub-optimal. It's nice that she wagered to take the lead, but it would have only taken a second to count that there was only $1,200 remaining on the board and adjust her wager accordingly. Slow it down and think it through.
If she had 30 minutes to make a wager, do you think it would have been optimal? After her FJ wager yesterday?
I'm not worried about what she would have done. One of the great things about JBoard is that we get to help each other prep for the show.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Did not like the FJ clue. One. Bit.

Point the first: The "markers" term made me think in terms of road signage or distance or direction to someplace.

Point the second: I don't consider arbitrary lines made by humans on maps to be "geographic". They may be political boundaries, or cartographic lines and datum points, etc.. But imho state and country borders are not geographic, even if they coincide with a legit geographic feature like a river.

I picked Kilamanjaro with negative confidence. I doubt if I'd get to equator unless they almost give it away by saying "this geographic feature intersects", etc.. Kudos to the 1.66 correct responses by the players. Kate does not have to regret leaving the door open, closing it, and then re-opening it with her imprudent DD3 wager.

Fun game, but I am weary of the forced hamming it up. Take the easy shots when they are set up, otherwise, just be yourself.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm For Randy's DD I said The Partridge Family. I don't recall the wording of the clue - was there something that leads one to the Monkees instead?
Stephen Stills was an adult by the mid-1960s. The Partridge Family were teenagers/kids (and Shirley Jones).
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I'm a lifelong Ohioan and couldn't think of any official state fruit, although I knew our state beverage was tomato juice... and that picture surely wasn't a tomato! Apparently in 2009 the tomato did in fact become our state fruit, while the pawpaw became the state "native fruit." I didn't even know such a thing grew here; I'd only ever heard pawpaw as another name for the papaya. It appears to be more of a southeast Ohio thing.

[ I always learn something new from watching J! dot gif ]
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

bbird wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 pm I'm a lifelong Ohioan and couldn't think of any official state fruit, although I knew our state beverage was tomato juice... and that picture surely wasn't a tomato! Apparently in 2009 the tomato did in fact become our state fruit, while the pawpaw became the state "native fruit." I didn't even know such a thing grew here; I'd only ever heard pawpaw as another name for the papaya. It appears to be more of a southeast Ohio thing.

I got it because I'm aware of a town in Michigan by the name.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Alyssa was in my audition group last year. At the time, I felt she had a good shot of making it on the show, and I was correct!
mujason

Post by mujason »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 pm Did not like the FJ clue. One. Bit.

Point the first: The "markers" term made me think in terms of road signage or distance or direction to someplace.

Point the second: I don't consider arbitrary lines made by humans on maps to be "geographic". They may be political boundaries, or cartographic lines and datum points, etc.. But imho state and country borders are not geographic, even if they coincide with a legit geographic feature like a river.
Actually, the Equator isn't an arbitrary line; it's exactly halfway between the poles through which the Earth rotates. The Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn aren't arbitrary, either; they're determined by the tilt of the Earth on its axis. The Prime Meridian's location, however, is arbitrary, and was selected as it goes through the location of the observatory in Greenwich, England. The International Date Line is also arbitrary and is usually opposite the Prime Meridian; it helpfully goes through the Pacific and jogs around a few islands.
-Jason
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I thought of the location of Victoria Falls instead of Lake Victoria and that dragged me away from the Equator. Victoria falls is much farther south. I guessed with "Borders" and then started wondering about Tropic of Cancer (I got Cancer and Capricorn mixed up anyway). If I hadn't gotten confused with Victoria Falls I might have been able to get the Equator.

I was 1/4 on the big clues. I guessed Baghdad instead of Kabul. I said Gerrymander instead of Gerry.

Poor game for me. The players seemed to know a lot of stuff that I've never heard of. Randy played really well.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I put equator down immediately, but the wording did make me second guess that answer a little. I was worried it might have been the source of the Nile instead. "Geographic designation" seems like a weird way to describe the equator.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mujason wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:07 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:37 pm Did not like the FJ clue. One. Bit.

Actually, the Equator isn't an arbitrary line; it's exactly halfway between the poles through which the Earth rotates. The Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn aren't arbitrary, either; they're determined by the tilt of the Earth on its axis. The Prime Meridian's location, however, is arbitrary, and was selected as it goes through the location of the observatory in Greenwich, England. The International Date Line is also arbitrary and is usually opposite the Prime Meridian; it helpfully goes through the Pacific and jogs around a few islands.
Sure to the above. And the magnetic North Pole, the rotational poles, and Arctic circles, highest elevation, etc.. all have astronomical, or geophysical, or geologic origins. I'm accepting that the term "geography" needs to be considered ambiguous and include all the above. I was focused on a geological feature but for no fault of the writers. The clue still leaves something to be desired but it is a tough balancing act and the players' results shows they nailed it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

34 R
DD: 1/3 (Kabul)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Shaffer, Henchmen, Maryland
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:28 pm State Consumables was tough. I had no idea on any of them. Cranberry = MA, huh?

Any reason I should know those Lees were from Virginia? I saw no TOM in the clue at all.
I thought Consumables was tough too. It's not so much that cranberries are associated with Massachusetts (that I've heard of, anyway), but that "bogged down" was used apropos of nothing; cranberries are a bog fruit. (I only recognized that TOM after the fact.)

Those Lees are forebears of Robert E.
Spoiler
It was mentioned in last Thursday's thread that Arlington National Cemetery (in Virginia) was built on land that used to be the Lees'.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

bbird wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 pm I'm a lifelong Ohioan and couldn't think of any official state fruit, although I knew our state beverage was tomato juice... and that picture surely wasn't a tomato! Apparently in 2009 the tomato did in fact become our state fruit, while the pawpaw became the state "native fruit." I didn't even know such a thing grew here; I'd only ever heard pawpaw as another name for the papaya. It appears to be more of a southeast Ohio thing.

I know a lot of official state things, but I didn't know this one, either, or that we had an official state fruit.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The pawpaw is the largest fruit that is native to North America. (That was a question at a trivia night I went to a while ago and I've never forgotten it.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Randy is the most excited, cheerful contestant the show has seen in a long while. A casting producer's dream come true. And when he hit the come from behind victory in FJ, he looked like he might explode from joy.

Overall, one of the better games of regular Jeopardy we've seen in the past weeks, with a fun battle between Randy and Kate. I only got 1 LT despite a Coryat over 32,000, a testament to how many questions the players answered correctly.

Like others, I was confused by the FJ and missed it.
davey

Post by davey »

trainman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:50 pm
heppm01 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm For Randy's DD I said The Partridge Family. I don't recall the wording of the clue - was there something that leads one to the Monkees instead?
Stephen Stills was an adult by the mid-1960s. The Partridge Family were teenagers/kids (and Shirley Jones).
Exactly. Even if he'd been younger, who would he have played? Heartthrob Keith? I can sort of see Stills as Michael Nesmith... ;)
I'm perversely glad so many had trouble with this FJ - I found it baffling. And "geographic designation" does not seem to be a term of art, certainly not when referring to the equator..."Geographic feature" might have helped me more...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Kendall? Was that you?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:56 pm One place claiming to be the equator doesn’t make sense to me. I said the source of the Nile.

I have a friend who was a missionary in Uganda. She posted a picture of her on Facebook with her and an Ugandan gentleman standing on the equator. There was this structure of a circle with a line through the middle and they were on opposite sides.
Probably where this video/trickery was taped.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I could have done without AT's condescending "you even pronounced it correctly" on the "Gerry" clue. You could tell he was just waiting for her to pronounce it with a soft "G" so he could correct her.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 pm
If she had 30 minutes to make a wager, do you think it would have been optimal? After her FJ wager yesterday?
I'm not worried about what she would have done. One of the great things about JBoard is that we get to help each other prep for the show.
[/quote]

I've always thought so. So why does it seem as if pretty much no one learns anything about wagering strategy, when that is the ONE subject that comes up in every game? (sigh...don't answer that)