Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 am

There are a number of posts about this clue. I cannot buy that the judges did not catch it, overlooked it and certainly will not believe a reversal happened and did not air.
Why wouldn't the latter scenario be plausible? With no more DDs at that point, the only point remaining at which a reversal would have been announced would have been prior to FJ, at which point it would have been moot with Krishna a non-participant.

You do make a fairly compelling case for the answer simply being wrong, though. I had thought it simply meant "dealer". My main recollection of the word was from a spelling bee in my childhood, and I think the provided definition was just something like "a dealer in a casino".
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1415
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:14 pm
Johnblue wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:36 pm
On another board, one childish/childless poster scolded Jen’s parents for not taking her out of the restaurant 30-something years ago. Can’t make this stuff up. I’m a big RS fan (I’m going to 4 shows on their upcoming European tour!) and I LOVED Jen’s story! It was hard to watch the one guy flail at the end but I’m happy Jen won!
I'm fairly confident the Stones have caused more people to leave restaurants and/or bars than Jen has.

I posted her video on a RS page on FB & people mostly laughed. Usually they go after hours when eating out now.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3774
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:50 am

There are a number of posts about this clue. I cannot buy that the judges did not catch it, overlooked it and certainly will not believe a reversal happened and did not air.
Why wouldn't the latter scenario be plausible? With no more DDs at that point, the only point remaining at which a reversal would have been announced would have been prior to FJ, at which point it would have been moot with Krishna a non-participant.

You do make a fairly compelling case for the answer simply being wrong, though. I had thought it simply meant "dealer". My main recollection of the word was from a spelling bee in my childhood, and I think the provided definition was just something like "a dealer in a casino".
Some dictionaries do make them seem interchangeable. Others do not.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/croupier
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... h/croupier
If it's less ambiguous in Dutch it doesn't matter.

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kprather895 »

I have worked as a dealer in a Washington state cardroom for almost ten years. As far as I'm concerned, a croupier is anyone who is in charge of maintaining a gaming table, be it cards, roulette, or dice. I myself have only ever dealt cards.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4191
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

kprather895 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 am
I have worked as a dealer in a Washington state cardroom for almost ten years. As far as I'm concerned, a croupier is anyone who is in charge of maintaining a gaming table, be it cards, roulette, or dice. I myself have only ever dealt cards.
That doesn't match my own experiences. In poker and blackjack games, the person is referred to as a dealer IME, whereas a croupier is someone who runs a roulette game. I have no idea what the terminology is for the person who runs a craps game.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8775
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:31 am
kprather895 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 am
I have worked as a dealer in a Washington state cardroom for almost ten years. As far as I'm concerned, a croupier is anyone who is in charge of maintaining a gaming table, be it cards, roulette, or dice. I myself have only ever dealt cards.
That doesn't match my own experiences. In poker and blackjack games, the person is referred to as a dealer IME, whereas a croupier is someone who runs a roulette game. I have no idea what the terminology is for the person who runs a craps game.
A crapper?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
kintha
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kintha »

dhkendall wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am
Woof wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:31 am
kprather895 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 am
I have worked as a dealer in a Washington state cardroom for almost ten years. As far as I'm concerned, a croupier is anyone who is in charge of maintaining a gaming table, be it cards, roulette, or dice. I myself have only ever dealt cards.
That doesn't match my own experiences. In poker and blackjack games, the person is referred to as a dealer IME, whereas a croupier is someone who runs a roulette game. I have no idea what the terminology is for the person who runs a craps game.
A crapper?
Informally, a full sized craps game usually has 4 casino employees running it. A box man handling the casino's bank, a stick man handling the dice, and two base dealers settling the action after a roll. Collectively "the crew", individually, they usually have name tags.

User avatar
kintha
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kintha »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 pm
Welcome, Krishna! We enjoyed your nonchalance (in a good way) and poise. Too bad it was a rough set of boards, that seems to be the mojo this week.

I'm no casino rat, but I would conjecture that nobody has ever referred to a poker or blackjack dealer as a croupier. But very few would use it for the stickman or roulette flinger either. To me it's just a 50 cent word from an Ian Fleming novel.
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

Oh, man. Name a book. Name ANY BOOK!

Got War and Peace * and Age of Innocence, missed Pride and Prejudice - and I haven't read any of 'em

I negged with Peru / Bolivia, but had Chile / Argentina first

Blanked on greyhound. I can only assume 'bloody bull' would've been accepted. NHO bull shot. The bloody caesar is another variation, substituting clamato juice for tomato (you say tomato, I say clamato)

Haterade? NHO it

FJ = easy peasy

*helps that I saw Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:18 pm
NHO bull shot.
I'll be the one to admit I first heard of it back in elementary school when I looked up all the "dirty words" I could think of in the dictionary.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7043
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Catch up time...
John Boy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:38 pm

This happened to me playing the J!6 clues:
Spoiler
Image
My bad or the writer’s bad?
Sorry, but $100,000 is correct. It's hard to imagine anyone using currency of that size, but it did happen. For many years now all denominations larger than $100 have been relegated to the mothballs, so we forget this. I don't know where I learned, long ago, about the defunct bills.
Well, -we- never used anything higher than the $10,000. The $100,000 was Federal Reserve Bank use only.

Also. size is relative, though it does give me the ability to say I once spent $3,000 (Taiwanese) on a bottle of whiskey. (It does not at all come close to make up for the trip that gave me the opportunity...)

Post Reply