Thursday, April 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Game Recap for Show #7749, 2018-04-26

CONTESTANTS
Carolyn Walsh, a software engineer from Brooklyn, New York
Robert Marx, a graduate student from Nashville, Tennessee
Jen Regan, a travel marketer from North Bergen, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,780)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Did you happen to notice in the introductions how happy Robert and Carolyn looked? And they haven't won any money yet. Let's see what happens in this half-hour. Good luck, players. Here we go. Categories for today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SPITTING (4/5)
IMAGE (4/5)
ME, MYSELF & "I" (5/5)
POLITICS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WE LOVE THE '80s (5/5)
EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT (3/5) (Alex: These will be descriptive phrases from Old English or Norse.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Robert: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Carolyn: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Jen: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Robert: $3,400
Carolyn: $1,200
Jen: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Good news for Carolyn. Your response of "computer graphics" has been deemed acceptable by our judges.

Carolyn: That's so exciting.

Alex: You're picking up $400. Now tell me about your work as a candymaker, because I have a sweet tooth.

Carolyn: Yeah, me too. Before I started working as a software engineer, I worked for a small saltwater taffy company in Brooklyn. We made all of this really amazing candy, and meeting other candymakers was actually probably the best part. Candymakers are a great group of people.

Alex: But chewy saltwater taffy.

Carolyn: Very chewy.

Alex: Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Carolyn: It does not, no.

Alex: Robert Marx is a graduate student from Nashville, Tennessee. Your friends know all about your love of our program, and as a result, what did they do for you?

Robert: So I've had not one, but two Jeopardy!-themed parties. I had a Jeopardy!-themed birthday party, and then I also had a Jeopardy!-themed bachelor party. And at my Jeopardy! themed bachelor party, it was so intricately designed that my friend contacted my husband, and--well, my will-be husband, and my parents, and people who couldn't be there to do Video Daily Doubles, and to like, come--it was amazing. And I didn't have to play. I got to be Alex Trebek.

Alex: Oh, but did they get Johnny Gilbert there to introduce you as me?

Robert: It was out of the budget, unfortunately. He's worth every penny.

Alex: Oh yes, he is.

Alex: Jen Regan from North Bergen, New Jersey. She's our champion. Would like to go to South Africa. Why?

Jen: That's right. Well, I'd like to return to South Africa to volunteer and work with the African penguins because they've very endangered, and now that I've been there and seen them in their habitat, I really want to go and help out.

Alex: Yeah, I know. Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jen found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Jen had $2,200, Robert had $8,000, and Carolyn was at $1,400. Jen made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

POLITICS $400: In 1913 James Hamilton Lewis became the first senator in this job of counting votes & rounding up members
(Jen: What is, um...)
(Alex: Oh, hurry.)
(Jen: Uh...)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IMAGE $1000: In the 1920s, this American TV pioneer created the first video camera & called it an image dissector

EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT $400: Bone-house
(Robert: What is a graveyard?)
(Carolyn: What is a hospital?)

EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT $600: Word-hoard

SPITTING $1000: The ringhals, or "spitting", this snake doesn't spit venom to subdue prey, but to ward off attackers
(Carolyn: What is a viper?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Robert: $8,000
Carolyn: $1,400
Jen: $0
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:46 pm

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SPITTING IMAGE (5/5)
ITALIAN LITERATURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE SEA SECTION (4/5)
HELLO, "B.B." (5/5)
THE OLD WEST (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CHEESY MASHUPS (3/4) (Alex: Let me give you an example. A cheesy dip becomes the day a baby is expected. The correct response--what is a fondue date?)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Carolyn: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Robert: 7 R, 1 W
Jen: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Carolyn snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Jen had $3,600, Robert had $13,200, and Carolyn was at $4,200. Carolyn wagered $4,000.

THE OLD WEST $1200: The source of the Old West term "buckaroo", it's Spanish for cowboy
(Carolyn: What is...)
(Alex: Oh, come on.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Carolyn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Jen had $5,200, Robert had $11,600, and Carolyn was at $6,600. Carolyn wagered $4,000.

ITALIAN LITERATURE $1600: The 1st known one was written c. 1235 by Giacomo da Lentini; Petrarch wrote several to the unattainable Laura
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SEA SECTION $2000: A section of the Atlantic north of the North Sea borders this nation & is sometimes called its sea

THE OLD WEST $1600: The 1850s discovery of this "lode" named for a prospector set off a silver rush in Nevada

ITALIAN LITERATURE $2000: The author of "The Leopard" was Giuseppe, prince of this, also the name of an island now a haven for hopeful migrants

CHEESY MASHUPS $1600: Pecorino & Caprino duke it out in a Spanish expression for a 2-person confrontation
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Robert: $12,800
Carolyn: $10,600
Jen: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS IN COURT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Robert: Wager $8,401 to cover Carolyn.
Carolyn: Try wagering $199, which is as much as you can put up against Robert without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Jen.
Jen: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Carolyn, but if Carolyn decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This athlete lost a 1931 lawsuit against the Curtiss Candy Company

FINAL SCORES
Jen: $5,200 + $2,500 = $7,700 (Who is Babe Ruth?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Carolyn: $10,600 - $0 = $10,600 (Who is ?) (New champion: $10,600)
Robert: $12,800 - $8,201 = $4,599 (Who was Cane?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [To Jen] The candy bar was the Baby Ruth. Babe sued, and the Curtiss Company said, "No, no. We named it after the daughter of Grover Cleveland. Baby Ruth.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Robert: $12,800, 20 R, 2 W
Carolyn: $12,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Jen: $7,400, 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Robert: 20/58 = .345
Carolyn: 19/60 = .317
Jen: 10/59 = .169
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ME, MYSELF & "I" $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical diagram on the monitor.) The name of this vein of the lower body means that it's below the superior vena cava, which drains the head

IMAGE $200: No, that movie battle scene didn't really have 50,000 extras--too expensive! They used CGI, short for this
(Carolyn: What is computer graphic imaging?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct during the contestant interviews]

IMAGE $600: Without X-rays and non-invasively, this technology can give your doctor a great view of your insides

SPITTING $200: These largest New World camelids don't normally spit at humans, but do at others of their kind
(Jen: What are camels?)

WE LOVE THE '80s $200: Let's kick around this popular '80s object seen here

WE LOVE THE '80s $1000: 1985 saw the first of these slamfests; one match included Hulk Hogan & "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT $1000: Treasure-seat
(Alex: With a minute to go.)

POLITICS $1000: Who Mom loves best, or a candidate like Gov. Cecil Underwood who in 1960 got all W.V.'s delegates at the GOP convention
(Carolyn: What is the favorite child?)

THE SEA SECTION $1200: Many consider St. George's Channel to be the southern section of this sea with a national name

HELLO, "B.B." $1600: From a film based on a 20th century novel, it's the sinister entity depicted here

THE OLD WEST $800: Sold for $17 in 1873 ($360 today), the .45 caliber "peacemaker" from this manufacturer was "the gun that won the West"
(Jen: What is Remington?)

THE SPITTING IMAGE $800: It's not surprising that Larry David not only plays this man on "Saturday Night Live", but is his distant relative

THE SPITTING IMAGE $1600: That's not Will Ferrell, it's Chad Smith of this L.A. band with a spicy name

THE SPITTING IMAGE $2000: Comedian John Oliver has some fun with his own resemblance to this Treasury Secretary
(Robert: Who is Munchin?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
whip
Philo Farnsworth
your body
the vocabulary
the spitting cobra
vaquero
a sonnet
Norway
the Comstock lode
Lampedusa
romano a mano
Babe Ruth
the inferior vena cava
a computer-generated image (or computer graphic imaging)
an MRI
llamas
a hacky sack
WrestleMania
a throne
the favorite son
the Irish Sea
Big Brother
Colt
Bernie Sanders
the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mnuchin
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS IN COURT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This athlete lost a 1931 lawsuit against the Curtiss Candy Company

Jen Regan: 5200+2500=7700
Robert Marx: 12800-8201=4599
Carolyn Walsh: 10600-0=10600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Babe Ruth (Robert – Cane [as in candy cane]) (Carolyn – Who is ?)

Daily Doubles
Jen: 2200-2200
Carolyn: 4200-4000
Carolyn: 6600+4000

Coryats
Jen: 7400
Robert: 12800
Carolyn: 12200

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jen: 0
Robert: 8000
Carolyn: 1400

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:51 pm

The clue with the reversal wanted what CGI stands for.

Carolyn was negged for “computer graphic imaging” and Robert rebounded with “computer generated image/imaging” to make it +$200 for each of them.

Another super skunk for me in EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT as I had nothing in the category and then missed the J!6.

Jen lost the farm on DD1 and the game as that left her with not enough to win on the sole solve in the FJ! round.

I wrote the correct response for the FJ! clue before Alex finished reading the clue and I expected less than 3/3 on it. The category looked like a good one although I did not trust the general nature of it. If I had known what the sport involved would be, my confidence would have gone way up.

Long passage from snopes.com:
Spoiler
Show

CLAIM: The Baby Ruth candy bar was named after Ruth Cleveland (daughter of President Grover Cleveland), not Babe Ruth.

FALSE

The Curtiss Candy Company was founded in Chicago in 1916 by Otto Schnering. Schnering, who wanted a name more “American-sounding” than his own for the company (German surnames not being much of an asset during World War I), used his mother’s maiden name instead.

The Curtiss Candy Company’s first product was a confection known as Kandy Kake, which featured a pastry center topped with nuts and coated with chocolate. This candy bar was only a moderate success until 1921, when Schnering reintroduced it as a log-shaped bar made of caramel and peanuts, covered with chocolate. Schnering named his new confection the “Baby Ruth” bar, priced it at five cents (half the cost of other bars), and soon had one of the hottest-selling candy bars on the market.

Three explanations have since been offered concerning the origins of the “Baby Ruth” candy bar’s name:
1. The bar was named after “Baby” Ruth Cleveland, the first-born daughter of President Grover Cleveland.
2. The bar was named after baseball slugger George Herman “Babe” Ruth.
3. The bar was named for a granddaughter of Mrs. George Williamson, Mrs. Williamson being the wife of the president of the Williamson Candy Company and one of the developers of the “Baby Ruth” bar formula.

Explanation #1 is the “official” explanation that has been proffered by the Curtiss Candy Company since the 1920s.

Explanation #2 is the “obvious” explanation; the one assumed by people who have not been exposed to any theories about the candy’s origin.

Explanation #3 is an alternate explanation proffered by syndicated columnist L.M. Boyd that can be readily dismissed. The Williamson Candy Company, producer of the “Oh! Henry” bar, was a direct competitor of Curtiss’ and would have been most unlikely to supply a product name and formula to a rival. Furthermore, the Curtiss Candy Company has never claimed this as an origin of its candy bar’s name.

The claim that the “Baby Ruth” bar was named after Ruth Cleveland is found dubious by many because Ruth Cleveland died of diphtheria in 1904, over seventeen years before the “Baby Ruth” bar was first produced. Naming a candy bar after the long-dead daughter of a former president would certainly be a curious choice. Moreover, the notion that a candy bar called “Baby Ruth” should appear on the market just when a baseball player named Babe Ruth had suddenly become the most famous person in America is perceived as a rather striking coincidence.

If the Curtiss Candy Company did indeed appropriate Babe Ruth’s name without permission, it would have had a motive for developing a fabricated yet believable explanation in case a challenge arose over the candy bar’s name. Curtiss did indeed have to fight off at least one challenge to its name, when a competitor (with the full approval of Babe Ruth) attempted to market a candy named the “Babe Ruth Home Run Bar.” Curtiss, claiming that its candy bar was named for Ruth Cleveland, was successful in forcing the competing candy bar off the market because its rival’s name too closely resembled that of its own product.

The fact that Curtiss successfully fought off a challenge to its candy bar’s name does not demonstrate that the company was untruthful, however. Merely showing that it might have had a reason to lie is not evidence of any disingenuousness on its part; we must prove that Curtiss did in fact lie about the origins of the “Baby Ruth” name. Although we may not be able to show that Curtiss was less than honest when it was fighting off the challenge of the “Babe Ruth Home Run Bar”, we can certainly demonstrate that it has been dishonest about the origin of the name “Baby Ruth” in the years since then.

First of all, the official Curtiss position maintained for many years is that its “candy bar made its initial appearance in 1921, some years before Babe Ruth . . . became famous.” In 1919, Babe Ruth was a standout pitcher for the Red Sox, but he was not well-known outside of Boston and the baseball world. Sold to the New York Yankees prior to the 1920 season, Ruth soon established himself as an outfield star and was nationally famous by the end of the year. By 1921 his name was featured more prominently on the front pages of afternoon newspapers than President Harding’s. The claim that he was not famous until “some years” after 1921 is nothing but absurd. This misstatement could merely be a mistake on Curtiss’ part due to shoddy record-keeping or research, but the claim has been offered for so many years and is so easily verifiable that it is hard to explain as anything other than dissembling.

Another claim made by the Curtiss Candy Company is much harder to dismiss as mere bad record-keeping, though. Part of the official statement about the “Baby Ruth” name offered by Curtiss has been that Ruth Cleveland “visited the Curtiss Candy Company plant years ago when the company was getting started and this largely influenced the company’s founder to name the candy bar ‘Baby Ruth.'” Ruth Cleveland died at age twelve in 1904; no amount of bad record-keeping can place her in the factory of a company that wouldn’t exist until more than a decade after her death.

bigblue999
Valued Contributor

Post by bigblue999 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm

I thought Robert was going to win, considering he was on a roll after the first round, but was caught surprised by Carolyn's $0 wager and him getting FJ! wrong.

As a New York sports fan, I'm ashamed I couldn't think of Babe Ruth (or the candy).

I screamed out bird's nest soup when the question came up (for those who play HQ Trivia will know what I'm talking about).

Wpwells

Post by Wpwells » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 pm

My mind immediately jumped to Honus Wagner, but then I remembered the T-206 was a 1909 card, and he was upset about the tobacco connection, not candy. Another second of thinking led me to Babe Ruth.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:53 pm

I had George H. Ruth written down before the music started.

Nice wagering by Carolyn. She seemed to be rather obvious with her body language at times. I wonder if she gave off any hints she didn’t know sports that Robert failed to pick up on.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm

This was an instaget FJ for me too. I’d be curious to see if it favors an older generation.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Coryat: 34,200
42 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: whip (DD), vaquero (DD), Comstock Lode, romano a mano

Robert answered Coral Sea while wearing coral!

Somebody at J! has been watching old episodes of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show.
Sprinkles are for winners.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:31 pm

That was a quick switch from "really happy when he though that Carolyn was going to go close to all-in" to "really sad when her $0 bet was revealed".

My initial thought was Wagner, but the year got me to Ruth easily enough.

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 pm

econgator wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:31 pm
That was a quick switch from "really happy when he though that Carolyn was going to go close to all-in" to "really sad when her $0 bet was revealed".

My initial thought was Wagner, but the year got me to Ruth easily enough.
Reaction was strange as he was losing to Jen regardless.

Hopefully she wagered $0 because it was the best strategy, not because she didn't like the category. He had to cover bet so if he missed he was going to lose. She couldn't wager more than 199 to keep Jen locked out. (Jen should not have bet more than $800).

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 pm

A smart wager wins. I'm not sure why Carolyn didn't write something - anything - given her wager. The clue was basically "name the most famous athlete from the 1920s."

But I'm trying to figure out what sport Candy Cane might have played. :shock:

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Pleasantly surprised by the 0 wager. I was so sure she'd make the usual all-in suicide wager, I didn't even bother calculating optimal wagers during the break.

1931 + athlete (which would already make Babe Ruth my default guess) + candy bar? I'd have to change my avatar if it was anything less than instaget.

Mozzarella Fitzgerald. That category made me laugh, groan, choke, and facepalm all at the same time. Well done J! writers, even though I want to smack you.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:36 pm

Speaking as someone who studied both Old English and Old Norse in college, that EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT was a bit of a disaster. I got BONE-HOUSE meaning body, but the guesses of graveyard and hospital were perfectly plausible. WORD-HOARD = vocabulary was kind of tenuous and inexact. Any word or phrase meaning "collection of words" would have been correct. The contestants were right to clam after the BONE-HOUSE debacle.

On the other end, the cheesy category worked surprisingly well. Gettable clues with funny responses. Well done, writers!

I hate those knit hacky sacks. They're too light and not malleable enough. A real, usable hacky sack is more like a medium-hard leather beanbag.

Did Carolyn bet $0 because she understood strategy or because she hated the category? What if the category had been CANDY IN HISTORY?

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 pm

not even sure how one misses this...athlete, 30s and candy..who else would have fit that?

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:02 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:36 pm
Speaking as someone who studied both Old English and Old Norse in college, that EXPRESSIONS FROM OLD BRIT LIT was a bit of a disaster. I got BONE-HOUSE meaning body, but the guesses of graveyard and hospital were perfectly plausible. WORD-HOARD = vocabulary was kind of tenuous and inexact. Any word or phrase meaning "collection of words" would have been correct. The contestants were right to clam after the BONE-HOUSE debacle.

On the other end, the cheesy category worked surprisingly well. Gettable clues with funny responses. Well done, writers!

I hate those knit hacky sacks. They're too light and not malleable enough. A real, usable hacky sack is more like a medium-hard leather beanbag.

Did Carolyn bet $0 because she understood strategy or because she hated the category? What if the category had been CANDY IN HISTORY?
didn't even realise they existed in the 80s...i only ever remember seeing the leather ones in the 80s...the mid 90s is when i remember seeing the knit ones when the granolla/hippie retro craze came about

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:47 pm
A smart wager wins. I'm not sure why Carolyn didn't write something - anything - given her wager. The clue was basically "name the most famous athlete from the 1920s."

But I'm trying to figure out what sport Candy Cane might have played. :shock:
cb radio pranking? (paul walker's handle in the movie "joy ride"?

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 pm

bamaman wrote:Nice wagering by Carolyn. She seemed to be rather obvious with her body language at times. I wonder if she gave off any hints she didn’t know sports that Robert failed to pick up on.
Not that he was great at wagering math.
CasketRomance wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote: But I'm trying to figure out what sport Candy Cane might have played. :shock:
cb radio pranking? (paul walker's handle in the movie "joy ride"?
"This here's Rusty Nail" heh, heh

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:16 pm

40 R
DD: 2/3 (Whip, Sonnet)
FJ: :(
LT: Philo T. Farnsworth, Cobra, (Whip), Norway, Lampedusa

I thought "the gun that won the west" was Winchester.

Ran Must Sea and Italian Literature.

Other of my gets include Kiss Camembert.
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 130.9k games
Alpaca Farm: 1370 quizzes

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm

The Baby Ruth candy bar is still around so I expected this one to be a triple get.

How the heck did The Babe lose that lawsuit? The candy bar was clearly named "Baby Ruth" to capitalize on his fame.