Thursday, April 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Thursday, April 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm How the heck did The Babe lose that lawsuit? The candy bar was clearly named "Baby Ruth" to capitalize on his fame.
My wife believed the Grover Cleveland story after we watched tonight. Obviously this wasn't something I wanted to start a disagreement over, but I agree with your take. (Instaget FJ.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm How the heck did The Babe lose that lawsuit? The candy bar was clearly named "Baby Ruth" to capitalize on his fame.
My wife believed the Grover Cleveland story after we watched tonight. Obviously this wasn't something I wanted to start a disagreement over, but I agree with your take. (Instaget FJ.)
For those not familiar with the story here's a quick summary from Wikipedia:
The candy maker, located on the same street as Wrigley Field, named the bar "Baby Ruth" in 1921, as Babe Ruth's fame was on the rise, 24 years after Cleveland had left the White House, and 17 years after his daughter, Ruth, had died.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 pm
For those not familiar with the story here's a quick summary from Wikipedia:
The candy maker, located on the same street as Wrigley Field, named the bar "Baby Ruth" in 1921, as Babe Ruth's fame was on the rise, 24 years after Cleveland had left the White House, and 17 years after his daughter, Ruth, had died.
That's slightly more plausible than Max Romeo attempting to argue that his reggae classic "Wet Dream" was about a leaky roof in an attempt to stave off censorship from the likes of the BBC. :D
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Surprise ending because I thought it would be a tri-get, but we are finally getting into a post-Babe Ruth age. Robert played well and picked up on that weird British novel category quickly. I couldn't even get "the sun" on the first clue.

I just looked up Arthur C. Clarke's laws because I am in awe of the image of an MRI. The third law : Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.. I worked with NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectroscopy in college, and when MRI came out of it shortly after, I assumed, well, they'll never see anything smaller than a golf ball or a grape sized tumor. For Pete's sake, they're just flipping protons with radio waves in a strong magnetic field! This rates with measuring gravitational waves with linear shifts smaller than a proton diameter in my book.

It is a weird week, kind of like bizarro week.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Reminiscent of this fiasco, which resulted in Frank's being brought back. Frank admitted on the old Sony board that "Ruth Cleveland" would have been smarter but that he had fixated on the minimalist approach to J! responses. Since Alex had stated on air, after seeing Frank's answer, that they needed the name of the candy bar when that was plainly not what the clue asked for, the show would have had a difficult time dismissing Frank's appeal.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was rooting for Jen to repeat since she’s a fellow penguin lover but that one DD was bad. I was surprised only one person got the Babe. That was easier than yesterday’s simple FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Brit Lit was very obscure, but I ran "B. B." and got all but "archer fish" (WAGged "bow fish") in Spitting.

Babe/Baby Ruth completely escaped my mind in the 30 seconds, so I had nothing. So obvious in hindsight.

Lach Trash: Philo Farnsworth, spitting cobra, romano a mano
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Robert played well, but you have to get easy FJs correct if you want to be a Jeopardy champion. Good wager by Carolyn if she thought her chances of getting the FJ were under 50%. Her DD bets were close to, but not quite optimal. 80's were a ridiculously easy category.

The cheese category just makes me roll my eyes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 am I thought Brit Lit was very obscure, but I ran "B. B." and got all but "archer fish" (WAGged "bow fish") in Spitting.

Babe/Baby Ruth completely escaped my mind in the 30 seconds, so I had nothing. So obvious in hindsight.

Just wondering how you got Farnsworth, as it was a video clue and your inability to recognize faces is legendary here. Does “Philo Farnsworth” trip your Hawley-Smoot meter or is it something else?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Nice wagering by Carolyn. She seemed to be rather obvious with her body language at times. I wonder if she gave off any hints she didn’t know sports that Robert failed to pick up on.

"Nice?" I send up a giant "Hurrah" to the lady for knowing and acting on the strategic demands of her situation. How many times do we see people go all-in, or nearly, from 2nd, without a clue as to the futility of doing that just so that they can lose by a buck? Good on you, girl!

And as for Robert, the only guy in the group losing by negging a softball sports Q, oh well....

LT: (spitting) cobra, Norway, Comstock Lode. And I booted the Politics DD, much to my embarrassment, unable to come up with "whip" and WAGGING majority leader instead. Back to the books.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I wasn't missing the "MRI" clue, having had one just hours before. Not a pleasant experience.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:11 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 am I thought Brit Lit was very obscure, but I ran "B. B." and got all but "archer fish" (WAGged "bow fish") in Spitting.

Just wondering how you got Farnsworth, as it was a video clue and your inability to recognize faces is legendary here. Does “Philo Farnsworth” trip your Hawley-Smoot meter or is it something else?
"Early TV guy" + a rather Hawley-Smoot name.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The Denver Fox affiliate thinks we would rather watch the NFL draft. Honestly, that's what ESPN is for. They don't even have the decency to air J! at a later time instead of Seinfeld reruns :x
FJ was pure WECIB.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:36 am The Denver Fox affiliate thinks we would rather watch the NFL draft. Honestly, that's what ESPN is for. They don't even have the decency to air J! at a later time instead of Seinfeld reruns :x
FJ was pure WECIB.
You’re affiliate had no choice about showing the draft.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:52 am
DBear wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:36 am The Denver Fox affiliate thinks we would rather watch the NFL draft. Honestly, that's what ESPN is for. They don't even have the decency to air J! at a later time instead of Seinfeld reruns :x
FJ was pure WECIB.
You’re affiliate had no choice about showing the draft.
DBear is going to be really mad tonight.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

FJ was pure WECIB.
it was on 4 channels...espn, espn2, fox, nfl network...used to just be on 1 network...no idea why they need to put that on more than 1
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Funny, I had precalled "USFL," thinking of the anti-trust lawsuit they had against the NFL.

This was an instaget for me; I actually recall that the candy bar when I was a child still being made by Curtis, so the name stuck (they sold it off in 1964). And I had heard about the "daughter of Grover Cleveland" story over the years.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Spitting (1), Image (2), Me, Myself & "I" (3), Politics (3), We Love the '80s (4), Old Brit Lit (2)
Spitting Image (3), Italian Lit (3), Sea Section (3), "B.B." (3), Old West (3), Cheesy Mashups (3)

Lach Trash: Comstock Lode; Daily Double: whip

Instaget FJ.
davey

Post by davey »

If the lawsuit that MarkBarrett posted about is the same one in the clue - there doesn't seem to have been another - the origin of the name wasn't the legal issue. Curtiss won because their candy bar was first. The court refused to consider "unclean hands" in the trademark registration.

Here's a legal syllabus of the case, 49 F.2d 1033
GEORGE H. RUTH CANDY CO. (INC.) v. THE CURTISS CANDY CO.

1. TRADE-MARKS--IDENTITY OF MARKS--SIGNATURE OF INDIVIDUAL.

A mark comprising the facsimile signature of "George H. Babe' Ruth" is not registrable for candy on the ground that the name is printed in a distinctive manner, in view of the prior use and registration of "Baby Ruth" for the same goods, as the statute forbids registration of a mark which so nearly resembles a registered mark owned and in use by another as to be likely to cause confusion or mistake in the mind of the public; whether applicant is entitled to use the mark is immaterial.

2. TRADE-MARKS--OPPOSITION--REGISTRATION MAY BE REFUSED ON EX PARTE GROUNDS.

In an opposition proceeding, where it is clear that concurrent use of applicant's and opposer's registered mark would cause confusion, it is not necessary for opposer to show actual damage, as in such proceeding it is proper to refuse registration on ex parte grounds.

3. TRADE-MARKS--OPPOSITION--VALIDITY OF OPPOSER'S REGISTRATION NOT IN ISSUE.

In an opposition in which opposer pleaded its prior registration, the question whether opposer was chargeable with unclean hands in the adoption of its mark will not be considered, as the validity of a registration will not be considered in a proceeding of this kind.