Monday, April 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7751, 2018-04-30

CONTESTANTS
Leslye Laderman, an employee benefits attorney from Creve Coeur, Missouri
Osman Syed, a student from Jamesville, New York
Alexandra Henkoff, a college admissions counselor from Houston, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, my friends, and welcome. Throughout this past weekend, I've been giving some thought to changing my name. As you just heard, our returning champion is Alexandra. That sounds important. Alex? Maybe not quite. Alexander, Alexander. Maybe I'll think about it some more. Osman and Leslye, good to have you with us. Alexandra, nice seeing you again. Here we go. First round. And these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S WATCH CARTOONS (5/5)
STATE CAPITALS BY COUNTY (5/5)
JIVE TALKIN' (5/5)
YOU SHOULD BE DANCING (5/5)
THE B.G.s (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Osman: 17 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Alexandra: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Leslye: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Osman found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Alexandra had $200, Osman had $400, and Leslye had nothing in the bank. Osman wagered $1,000.

LITERARY CHARACTERS $600: In this 17th c. work God says the fallen angels are subject to free will & therefore the authors of their own fate

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Osman: $6,000
Alexandra: $1,200
Leslye: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Leslye Laderman is from Creve Coeur, Missouri. You once went into a lounge as a patron, and something interesting and exciting happened.

Leslye: Yes. I was with my mother, actually. I was looking at law schools. And we went into this hotel, this lounge, and we just were gonna get a drink together. And we were sitting by the pianist, and I started talking to him, and said, you know, how much I like to sing. He said, "Do you wanna sing something?" And we did. And I sat down, and then a woman came up to me and handed me some money and asked me to sing another song. And then someone else did. And then the person there that ran the bar said, "If you come to school here, if you ever wanna come sing, you got the job."

Alex: And did you?

Leslye: Yeah, once or twice.

Alex: Good for you. Good for you.

Alex: Osman Syed from Jamesville, New York.

Osman: Hi.

Alex: A student who spent 2 1/2 years in Shanghai. Studying what or doing what?

Osman: Business and finance at New York University. They had a pilot program when I was applying to college to open up their campus in Shanghai. And I ended up, you know, deciding to jump in, and a few years later, here I am.

Alex: That's gonna be very important in a business career.

Osman: Fingers crossed.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Alexandra Henkoff, our champion. From Houston, Texas. Participated in the National Spelling Bee when you were much younger.

Alexandra: Well...

Alex: How well did you do?

Alexandra: Well,it was the school-wide bee. Just my elementary school. And I was overly confident and decided I didn't need to study. And I lost. I came in third, only to find out that the nice office ladies in the front office had had a pool going and had thought that I was going to win. I'm still really embarrassed. I'm sorry.

Alex: How old were you?

Alexandra: Eleven.

Alex: And already part of gambling enterprise. Shameful.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE B.G.s $1000: This Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence was as cute as a small clothing fastener
(Alexandra: Who is Button?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled insufficient at the beginning of Double Jeopardy!, resulting in Alexandra losing the $1,000 she had earned for the response without being penalized further]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Osman: $9,000
Leslye: $3,000
Alexandra: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JAPAN-POURRI (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSEUMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYMES WITH BOB (4/4)
HIPSTERY (4/5)
POP CULTURE IN THE NEWS (3/3)
THINKING ABOUT THE ENLIGHTENMENT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Osman: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Alexandra: 5 R, 2 W
Leslye: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Osman snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Alexandra had $3,800, Osman had $12,600, and Leslye was at $2,600. Osman wagered $3,500.

JAPAN-POURRI $800: Chanko nabe is a high-protein stew that's traditionally cooked for those training for this sport

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Osman who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Alexandra had $3,800, Osman had $20,100, and Leslye was at $4,200. Osman wagered $4,500.

MUSEUMS $1600: Home to many Dutch masterpieces, it recently added an Asian pavilion that's surrounded by water

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSEUMS $400: Treasures in this London museum include the Rosetta Stone & one of the oldest images of Christ
(Osman: What is the Imperial Museum?)
(Alexandra: What is the Victoria and Albert Museum?)
(Leslye: What is the Tate Museum?)

THINKING ABOUT THE ENLIGHTENMENT $2000: Voltaire advocated this 5-letter religious belief based on reason

JAPAN-POURRI $1200: A Japanese edict of the 1630s restricted most foreign ships to this port where "Madame Butterfly" is set
(Alexandra: What is Kyoto?)
(Osman: What is Hiroshima?)

JAPAN-POURRI $1600: As a toast or a battle cry, in Japanese it means "may you live 10,000 years"

JAPAN-POURRI $2000: These pieces made to attach a purse or box to a man's sash became prized works of art

HIPSTERY $2000: When this 3-initial writer of "Tales" lived in Bamberg, Germany around 1815, he could have enjoyed many craft breweries

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Osman: $27,400 (lock game)
Leslye: $6,200
Alexandra: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS ON AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Osman: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $14,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Leslye: Wager $1,401 to cover Alexandra.
Alexandra: You have the hope of surpassing Leslye for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,000 and $3,798.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Whitman said this man's poetry has "a propensity toward nocturnal themes, a demoniac undertone behind every page"

FINAL SCORES
Alexandra: $3,800 - $3,500 = $300 (Who is Dante) (3rd place: $1,000)
Leslye: $6,200 + $1,401 = $7,601 (Who is Poe?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Osman: $27,400 + $5,933 = $33,333 (Who is E.A. Poe) (New champion: $33,333)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Osman: $21,400, 30 R (including 3 DDs), 3 W
Leslye: $6,200, 7 R, 2 W
Alexandra: $3,800, 13 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Osman: 31/61 = .508
Alexandra: 13/58 = .224
Leslye: 8/58 = .138
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LET'S WATCH CARTOONS $1000: Turns out one of Roger the Alien's disguises on this show was 1980 Miracle on Ice Olympic teamer Chex Lemeneux
(Alexandra: What is Futurama?)
[Applause for Osman running the category]

STATE CAPITALS BY COUNTY $200: Fulton County
(Leslye: What is Georgia?)

YOU SHOULD BE DANCING $600: Heard here, considered risque back in the day, it's the dance dance down to the music

YOU SHOULD BE DANCING $800: People doing this dance at a nightclub in the 1970s inspired Van McCoy to write a song about it
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

JIVE TALKIN' $1000: Speaking in a roundabout way is this, from the Latin for around & speak
(Osman: What is circum... yeah, never mind.)

YOU SHOULD BE DANCING $1000: In 1926, this dance made the cover of an early version of Life magazine

STATE CAPITALS BY COUNTY $1000: Kennebec County
(Alexandra: What is Madison?)

HIPSTERY $1600: This 3-initial thinker sported a hip beard as a civil rights activist and NAACP co-founder

MUSEUMS $1200: The goggles seen here on display at the National Air & Space Museum were worn by her during the 1929 Women's National Air Derby

POP CULTURE IN THE NEWS $1200: #MeToo evolved into this movement against sexual harassment that was a popular pin in awards season in 2018
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Paradise Lost
Button Gwinnett
sumo
the Rijksmuseum
the British Museum
deism
Nagasaki
banzai
netsukes
E.T.A. Hoffmann
Edgar Allan Poe
American Dad!
Atlanta
the can-can
the hustle
circumlocution
the Charleston
Augusta
W.E.B. Du Bois
Amelia Earhart
#TimesUp
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS ON AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Whitman said this man’s poetry has a “propensity toward nocturnal themes, a demoniac undertone behind every page”

Alexandra Henkoff: 3800-3500=300
Osman Syed: 27400+5933=33333 (New Champ)
Leslye Laderman: 6200+1401=7601

Correct response:
Spoiler
Edgar Allan Poe (Alexandra – Dante)

Daily Doubles
Osman: 400+1000
Osman: 12600+3500
Osman: 20100+4500

Coryats
Alexandra: 3800
Osman: 21400
Leslye: 6200

Combined: 31,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alexandra: 2200
Osman: 9000
Leslye: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

THE B.G.s $1000: This Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence was as cute as a small clothing fastener

Alexandra: Who is Button?
Alex: Button Gwinnett, yes.

The judges took away the $1000 after the break because the last name was required, but did not penalize for an incorrect response. Fine.
First game of the day, but come on Alex, wake up.

No, players, the Rosetta Stone is not in the Imperial Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum or the Tate Museum. The only thing missing was Alex did saying the “NH,NF” magic words.

For the FJ! clue I stayed domestic and 1800s to be done quickly while Alexandra’s time machine went further back and abroad.

Osman made the game look easy (The J! Fan has him with 30R) with a super lock as even if Lesley’s total was doubled he still had a runaway. It’s a solid debut with 4/4 on the big clues.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 pmOsman made the game look easy (The J! Fan has him with 30R)...
The J! Fan also has the wrong contestant tags on today's page, FYI Andy.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 pm No, players, the Rosetta Stone is not in the Imperial Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum or the Tate Museum. The only thing missing was Alex did saying the “NH,NF” magic words.
I could almost get the floundering because it's so hard to see it where it's located, i.e., needs to be elevated. You could easily tour the place and never realize it was there. But yeah - the Tate??

And FJ clues continue at the College Tourney level of difficulty. Never heard the quote before - and how likely would anyone be familiar with it - but an excellent example of WECIB.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Osman dominated from start to finish. It's been a while since we had a runaway game, nonetheless a big payday.

FJ! was instaget. I never heard the quote but it was obvious who Whitman was talking about.
Last edited by bigblue999 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This is the first game I saw at the taping on January 24. January 23-24 was the first time Alex had to tape two consecutive days after his surgery (the previous week was January 16 and 18).

The main "inside baseball" thing I remember is that Osman's interview had to be scrapped and restarted. I'm not sure if it would be rude to elaborate; feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.

I couldn't pull "Poe" at the time--I was thinking Lovecraft, who was in the wrong century.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Has Osman does any other game show? His name sure sounds familiar.

PS: REEKS-museum instead of RYKES-museum? Am I missing something in the pronunciation difference?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

On FJ I started with Donne and Milton but got to Poe after about 10 seconds. I hate these types of FJs where you're supposed to get to the correct answer based on some quote that gives someone's opinion or analysis of something.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 pm Has Osman does any other game show? His name sure sounds familiar.

PS: REEKS-museum instead of RYKES-museum? Am I missing something in the pronunciation difference?
I think you are correct, but Alex doesn't always correct pronunciation, and let it slide. (That pronunciation is close enough that it was accepted. And Alex does often correct pronunciation.)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

StevenH wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 pm I hate these types of FJs where you're supposed to get to the correct answer based on some quote that gives someone's opinion or analysis of something.
Me too.

If I'd known Robert Frost and Whitman weren't contemporaries, I would have grudgingly guessed the correct answer, but I didn't, and I didn't think the tones of Poe's works were all that "under". I also think of Poe as more of a short story writer and a guy who wrote one novel. I'm only aware of a couple of his poems.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 pm No, players, the Rosetta Stone is not in the Imperial Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum or the Tate Museum. The only thing missing was Alex did saying the “NH,NF” magic words.
I could almost get the floundering because it's so hard to see it where it's located, i.e., needs to be elevated. You could easily tour the place and never realize it was there. But yeah - the Tate??

And FJ clues continue at the College Tourney level of difficulty. Never heard the quote before - and how likely would anyone be familiar with it - but an excellent example of WECIB.
We were there a few years ago, and the Rosetta Stone was on display right as we walked in - couldn't miss it.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

When Osman swept the cartoon category, I was ready to dub him “Genius at Work” in a sarcastic way. By the end of the game, it wouldn’t have been so sarcastic.

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Where did the FJ specify that the clue referred to an American? I thought Alex's comments to Alexandra was gratuitous.
Guessed Lord Byron. :(
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I enjoyed watching Alexandra today.

I considered Dante but decided the nocturnal theme was not prominent in his work. Indeed, he was a comedian. Then I went to POe.

I knew Hoffman but I wasn't sure the three initials were required so I stayed clam.

Here are some state capital counties I came up with off the top of my head. Who wants to try?

Sangamon
Suffolk
Thurston
Dane
Burleigh
Lewis and Clark
Lancaster
Polk
Eaton... or is it Ingham?
Franklin
Ormsby, formerly
Leon
Bexar
Pulaski
Davidson
Wake
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm Where did the FJ specify that the clue referred to an American? I thought Alex's comments to Alexandra was gratuitous.
Yeah, that was odd. In my thinking about the clue, I did figure the American possibilities were a reasonable place to start. (And when I landed on Poe, I liked him enough to pencil him in.) But there was no reason it couldn't have been Dante, as Alexandra guessed, or Byron as you did, or William Blake as Mrs. P thought. Those were all fine guesses. Another interesting guess would have been Milton, whom Blake said was "of the Devil's party without knowing it."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:25 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm Where did the FJ specify that the clue referred to an American? I thought Alex's comments to Alexandra was gratuitous.
Yeah, that was odd. In my thinking about the clue, I did figure the American possibilities were a reasonable place to start. (And when I landed on Poe, I liked him enough to pencil him in.) But there was no reason it couldn't have been Dante, as Alexandra guessed, or Byron as you did, or William Blake as Mrs. P thought. Those were all fine guesses. Another interesting guess would have been Milton, whom Blake said was "of the Devil's party without knowing it."
Alex seemed to be thinking American only for some reason (of course he knows the right name) while the writers with DD1 were perhaps trying to be helpful and eliminating one above?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Perhaps the clue was edited and originally specified American?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I predicted the Button Gwinnett non-neg reversal.