Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

instaget for final jeopardy...surprised it was a triple stumper
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm absolutely inexplicable triple stumper on FJ. I'm far from being a fashion maven, but I know "LV" is plastered all over Louis Vuitton bags.
totally agree
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm It stuck out to me as unnaturally obscure for the top box. Other than Candy, none of the actors in it seems to have done anything big. The director doesn't seem to have done anything big except the National Treasure movies. The producers are even more obscure, to the point that one of them doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I've never heard anyone clamor for it in throes of 90s nostalgia. Also, as I said, its only other Archive hits were much farther down the board.

Given that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
It's not that the actors are particularly well known (although Doug E. Doug had some name recognition at the time as the star of the sitcom "Where I Live"), but it's how I became aware of the Jamaican bobsled team, having been too young to be aware of the Calgary Olympics as they happened.

I more or less agree with IronNeck about Osman's wager. He might as well have just covered Jan, but with the $300 of wiggle room he'd have had if both he and Geoff had done so, I might have maxed out at $20,100, just in case Geoff rounded up.

But also, if Osman had gone TDD the second time as well, and not negged on the last $2,000 clue, Geoff would have been in Stratton's Dilemma, and given how Geoff and Jan wagered, I think Osman would have eked it out in the end.

edit: gave floating parenthesis a partner
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:01 am
DBear wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm LV gave me a 50/50 between Vitton & Versace, not knowing their first names. Naturally I chose wrong. Of course I would've bet absolutely nothing with that category.
It would have been interesting to see if they'd accept "Vitton."
Now that I think about it, it's almost a good thing this was a TS. It had "Vilnuis" written all over it.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm Given that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
Cool Runnings was IMO bigger than Air Bud, Angels in the Outfield, Rookie of the Year, and Little Giants. Leon was in a lot of movies back then, he played a great bad guy in Cliffhanger.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 pm
gobobbygo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:40 pm Mark, he's come up at least once since that 1996 cite:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3281, godfathers of sole, $600
As you know from personal experience he has come up many times in the J! round and DJ! rounds. My attempt was to show the one and only time in the Archive he has been in the FJ! round.

On Reddit from Andy I saw another interpretation of how someone could go wrong with the FJ! clue. 55 could be processed as VV.
Ah. You were totally clear and I still missed your meaning. Sorry.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wpwells wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:49 pm LV fashion designer = Louis Vuitton. Not too bad.
I pretty much wrote off this FJ when I saw the category. Anything to do with fashion is, for me, in pretty much the same black hole as pop music.

When I read the clue I was pleasantly surprised. No, make that astonishingly pleased. 55 in Roman numerals is LV. Name a fashion designer whose initials are LV. Louis Vuitton. Boom. Done.

Even for me, Louis Vuitton came immediately, and I was done writing with 20 seconds to spare. Frankly surprised to see this become a TS.

Thought for the day #2: so much for my prediction of a nice long streak of wins by Osman. Too bad.

And #3: LT on Alexander the Great, extradition, obstruction of justice (DD1), gullet, void, Sergio Mendez (once again, it pays to be "of a certain age"), James G. Blaine ("from the state of Maine,?" as his slogan went), and schooner. $9600 in LT was only good enough for 4th place, but my sole get on FJ gave me a win from the 4th podium.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bigblue999 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm 55 = LV, I'm thinking "Levi's"? Correct answer Louis Vuitton. I feel stupid now for missing an easy answer.

I thought Osman was going to go on a nice streak. How long has it been since a champion won consecutive games?
My wife also guessed Levis. Shows you're thinking in the right ballpark, but Levis are not something I much associate with "fashion."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm And this is why you can never tell the true talent of a contestant after one game.

Bad wagering from both first and third. If Osman is not going to cover 2nd, then bet just enough to cover 3rd. This would have won. In the end, the lone savvy wager makes all the difference.
This. With all the posts about the Fashion FJ, I almost overlooked Jan's horrid FJ wager, which of course cost her the game. I told her to bet $2,200, which of course would have won for her. Do they ever listen??? Almost never.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:38 am
Golf wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm And this is why you can never tell the true talent of a contestant after one game.

Bad wagering from both first and third. If Osman is not going to cover 2nd, then bet just enough to cover 3rd. This would have won. In the end, the lone savvy wager makes all the difference.
This. With all the posts about the Fashion FJ, I almost overlooked Jan's horrid FJ wager, which of course cost her the game. I told her to bet $2,200, which of course would have won for her. Do they ever listen??? Almost never.
I don't know. In Jan's position I'd have been tempted to defend against a $0 wager by the other two. With that category and Alex's comment drawing attention to the reactions, this could easily be a time when the men bet small. In that case, a "savvy" wager would have lost her the game, even on a sole get. To guard against this requires a minimum wager of $4101--less than she actually wagered but more than enough to sink her.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 pm Okay, 5 is V. 50 is um... D, C, M, P, Q, no... uh... Oh! 50 is L. LV! Louis Vuitton! I got it!
Wooooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm It stuck out to me as unnaturally obscure for the top box. Other than Candy, none of the actors in it seems to have done anything big. The director doesn't seem to have done anything big except the National Treasure movies. The producers are even more obscure, to the point that one of them doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I've never heard anyone clamor for it in throes of 90s nostalgia. Also, as I said, its only other Archive hits were much farther down the board.

Given that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
What about Space Jam?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am
bigblue999 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm 55 = LV, I'm thinking "Levi's"? Correct answer Louis Vuitton. I feel stupid now for missing an easy answer.

I thought Osman was going to go on a nice streak. How long has it been since a champion won consecutive games?
My wife also guessed Levis. Shows you're thinking in the right ballpark, but Levis are not something I much associate with "fashion."
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

alietr wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 am
DBear wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm LV gave me a 50/50 between Vitton & Versace, not knowing their first names. Naturally I chose wrong. Of course I would've bet absolutely nothing with that category.
Now that I think about it, it's almost a good thing this was a TS. It had "Vilnuis" written all over it.
Oh man that 2005 game! She woulda won by a dollar! Heartbreaking! (here's the link to refresh other's memories)

Yes Viutton would've been tragically incorrect if someone wrote it instead of Vuitton

But the misspelled-but-phonetically-damn-close Vitton would've been accepted, no?
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

RobW wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:58 am
Oh man that 2005 game! She woulda won by a dollar! Heartbreaking! (here's the link to refresh other's memories)

Yes Viutton would've been tragically incorrect if someone wrote it instead of Vuitton

But the misspelled-but-phonetically-damn-close Vitton would've been accepted, no?
I don't know why they wouldn't take Vitton. Does the "u" actually change how it sounds? I don't think I would have known how to spell it as it looks a bit odd whether it's Viutton, Vitton or Vuitton. I mostly just picture the iconic "LV" on old luggage.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't know why they wouldn't take Vitton. Does the "u" actually change how it sounds? I don't think I would have known how to spell it as it looks a bit odd whether it's Viutton, Vitton or Vuitton. I mostly just picture the iconic "LV" on old luggage.
The u is definitely voiced, but I'm sure many Americans don't pronounce it that way. I would accept "Vitton" because there's precedent in English for consonant-u-i leaving a silent u. (Although I think that only works with g-u-i, come to think of it...Both guise and guitar!)
I wonder if they'd rule on Vilnuis the same way today. It seems hard-nosed for a foreign vowel. Or if Vilnus would have passed....
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

My TOM for this FJ was 55 = LV which meant the famous fashion designer Luigi Versace.... oops.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:43 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm

The u is definitely voiced, but I'm sure many Americans don't pronounce it that way. I would accept "Vitton" because there's precedent in English for consonant-u-i leaving a silent u. (Although I think that only works with g-u-i, come to think of it...Both guise and guitar!)
I wonder if they'd rule on Vilnuis the same way today. It seems hard-nosed for a foreign vowel. Or if Vilnus would have passed....
I'm going to file the proper pronunciation of Vilnius under "learn something new every day." I had always assumed it was Vil-ni-us. Same thing with how to pronounce Vuitton. Fortunately, I'll probably never be able to afford it so I won't ever embarrass myself in front of the sales associate.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

My understanding is that they base FJ on expected pronunciation and whether a syllable would sound very wrong or is missing or added. FJ has never been a spelling test. I think they would have taken "Vetawn" if it came down to it.

Not knowing or caring about fashion might have helped with that one. I didn't even bother with a pre-call. So I was expecting to find something else in the clue to work with. Luckily, the Roman 55 jumped out at me and LV got me there instantly. Don't know why I know the name, but I was surprised it was a TS.

In retrospect, I might ask them if they are more in tune with fashion and may have been trying to puzzle it out. Or if they were in some sort of "fashion" mode and read 55 as 5-5 and were thinking about some sort of V V logo displayed fashionably. I would maintain that the only reason I got it immediately was because I didn't think about fashion at all.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I got this one by going "Fashion and luggage? Sounds like Louis Vuitton. Oh hey, LV. Cool."

I think a case could be made that Cool Runnings is the most well-known '90s sports movie in the world.