Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 am
Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm I have honestly never heard of Versace.
how old are you? dude was killed and his murder made headline news in 1997 about a month before princess diana died
Early 30s
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dinghammer wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm I think a case could be made that Cool Runnings is the most well-known '90s sports movie in the world.
I think #1 has to be Space Jam, but there's a good chance Cool Runnings is #2.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

FJ! was an instaget for me, mainly because I'm familiar with this logo:

I can't really say where I've been exposed to that logo, to gauge whether I should be surprised at the TS. As a graphic designer with an interest in brand identity I was bound to run into it at some point, as it's apparently 122 years old.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Ancient Greeks (4), Judge (3), Novel Title Characters (3), Movie Sport (4), Shut Up (2), Take My Money! (3)
Science Friction (3), Double "L" (2), American Band (4), Name the James (5), World Grammys (4), Potent (1)

Lach Trash: Alexander the Great, void, Sérgio Mendes, James Blaine; Daily Double: obstruction of justice

Not an Instaget, but easy for me after getting the "LV".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pmIt's only Tuesday so I'll see how the week goes before promising to poll something that will go over 85%. It's a top box clue as the movie is that well known whether someone has seen it or not. The cast beyond John Candy has other people of varying degrees of fame, but it's not important for the clue.

It's a sports movie from 1993, so that means your knowledge of it is going to be next to zero with no ability to judge its proper valuing. Why worry about that particular clue? Were your mom and/or sister watching? Did they know it?
It stuck out to me as unnaturally obscure for the top box. Other than Candy, none of the actors in it seems to have done anything big. The director doesn't seem to have done anything big except the National Treasure movies. The producers are even more obscure, to the point that one of them doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I've never heard anyone clamor for it in throes of 90s nostalgia. Also, as I said, its only other Archive hits were much farther down the board.

Given that evidence, I felt it was incredibly obscure compared to the likes of Air Bud, The Sandlot, Mighty Ducks, Angels in the Outfield, Space Jam, Rookie of the Year, Rudy, Space Jam, A League of Their Own, White Men Can't Jump, Little Giants, Major League, BASEketball, Happy Gilmore, and that's just the 90s sports movies I can name off the top of my head without even consulting Google.
What happened to your own poll that you ran once of clues you're interested in the difficulty level of? I actually enjoyed those, as they're a different perspective (and I naively thought you might learn from them but shows what I know.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:43 pm The u is definitely voiced, but I'm sure many Americans don't pronounce it that way. I would accept "Vitton" because there's precedent in English for consonant-u-i leaving a silent u. (Although I think that only works with g-u-i, come to think of it...Both guise and guitar!)
I wonder if they'd rule on Vilnuis the same way today. It seems hard-nosed for a foreign vowel. Or if Vilnus would have passed....
It wouldn't have passed as the infamous spelling changes the pronunciation (vill-noo-iss), and the second one leaves out a syllable(as Elijah Bailey pointed out, the correct pronunciation of the city is vill-nee-us, that spelling definitely looks like vill-nus)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 pm
davey wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:43 pm The u is definitely voiced, but I'm sure many Americans don't pronounce it that way. I would accept "Vitton" because there's precedent in English for consonant-u-i leaving a silent u. (Although I think that only works with g-u-i, come to think of it...Both guise and guitar!)
I wonder if they'd rule on Vilnuis the same way today. It seems hard-nosed for a foreign vowel. Or if Vilnus would have passed....
It wouldn't have passed as the infamous spelling changes the pronunciation (vill-noo-iss), and the second one leaves out a syllable(as Elijah Bailey pointed out, the correct pronunciation of the city is vill-nee-us, that spelling definitely looks like vill-nus)
I understand those points but my point is that sounds in other languages don't always conform to familiar rules. Vitton is a common way of pronouncing Vuitton because the u is barely pronounced even in French. I doubt they would disallow it orally but they might not accept the spelling. I would.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 pm
Vil-nee-us may be the correct pronunciation in English. But Lithuanians apparently pronounce it something like vil-noose. That would be a point in favor of accepting the Vilnuis spelling, I think.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 pm What happened to your own poll that you ran once of clues you're interested in the difficulty level of? I actually enjoyed those, as they're a different perspective (and I naively thought you might learn from them but shows what I know.)
Maybe I'll do them again this week.