Thursday, May 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:15 am Word on the street is that tonight's (5/4) match is a real barn-burner.
I've been on that street and.... (not the place)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:07 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:24 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 am That said, it's Casablanca. Anyone over 40 who hasn't seen it has probably worked at least a little bit to avoid it. :D
I finally saw it in about 2004-05 (I was 43) when I had access to TCM. I was blown away, and I was particularly amazed by how well it had aged. (And I've still never seen Citizen Kane. I started watching it once and it, almost literally, put me to sleep. Maybe I should give it another chance some day.)
Keep in mind that Citizen Kane is so highly rated among film buffs because of the innovations in direction - camera angles, etc. It's not necessarily a popular movie in the traditional sense. There are dozens of classic movies from the same era that are probably more enjoyable to watch. You almost have to see others before appreciating what Orson Welles did to shake up how movies were made up to that point.
Also keep in mind that if you fall asleep during a movie it might be because you're tired...I have always found Citizen Kane hugely entertaining.
Sorry; I didn’t mean to imply that no one could find it entertaining. Just that for all that it’s commonly accepted as one of the greatest movies ever, it’s not one I’d recommend right away for someone who is unfamiliar with other great movies of that era.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 pm The only way I would have had a chance at FJ is if I had approached it by thinking of films that are often ranked as the greatest of all time. My path was by thinking of famous events that occurred around November 10, so there was no hope for me.
Yeah, but nothing in the clue mentioned one of the "greatest movies...," just a movie. So why would any potential solver be led to consider any list of the great movies?

I figured the key was to think of a city that was famously liberated during a war and scoured my brain for movie titles that named Paris. (hint: I did not find Casablanca there. Go figure.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

All three players should duck if around others when this $800 clue in LAKES & RIVERS goes TS: Greg Lake was the middleman for these prog rock legends
I hate clues like this that specify subtypes of a cultural genre, esp. a genre that I know nothing about anyway. If I don't know anything about rock (I confess) then I certainly don't know what bands might be considered PROG rock, or ALT rock, or METAL, or IGNEOUS rock, or whatever. No chance whatsoever. And on this clue, if they had reworded it to say that Lake was the middle of the name of a rock group named for three guys, I would have known enough to come up with "Emerson, Lake, and Palmer," just from having heard the name. But "Prog?" No clue what that even is.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

All three players should duck if around others when this $800 clue in LAKES & RIVERS goes TS: Greg Lake was the middleman for these prog rock legends
I hate clues like this that specify subtypes of a cultural genre, esp. a genre that I know nothing about anyway. If I don't know anything about rock (I confess) then I certainly don't know what bands might be considered PROG rock, or ALT rock, or METAL, or IGNEOUS rock, or whatever. No chance whatsoever. And on this clue, if they had reworded it to say that Lake was the middle of the name of a rock group named for three guys, I would have known enough to come up with "Emerson, Lake, and Palmer," just from having heard the name. But "Prog?" No clue what that even is.
That is pretty much what the clue said-
Greg Lake was the middleman for these prog rock legends
Prog was either an extra TOM - or, apparently, a distraction. I have no particular knowledge of, or interest, in the term, but I certainly know the group.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

IronNeck wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 pm As for the ELP discussion, the group recorded a favorite song of mine and I still didn't get it.
That was actually Cozy Powell on drums, filling in for Carl Palmer who was in the band Asia at the time. Hard to believe all three members in that video have died.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

earendel wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:17 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:05 am I am a baby boomer but didn't really get the flow of the "lake" category and never been a fanboy of musicians. I've never related to eponymous groups such as Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young; (that's all I have).
Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds. I think that's about all I can add...
Hall & Oates
England Dan & John Ford Coley
Seals & Crofts
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe (1988-1990)
Yes featuring Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman (2010- )
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

DBear wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:05 am I am a baby boomer but didn't really get the flow of the "lake" category and never been a fanboy of musicians. I've never related to eponymous groups such as Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young; (that's all I have).
Hall & Oates
Seals & Crofts
Giles, Giles & Fripp
Peaches & Herb
Medeski, Martin & Wood
McGuinn, Clark & Hillman
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Woof wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:01 pm
DBear wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:58 pm
Hall & Oates
Seals & Crofts
Giles, Giles & Fripp
Peaches & Herb
Medeski, Martin & Wood
McGuinn, Clark & Hillman
Zager & Evans
Brewer & Shipley
Friend & Lover
Mouth & MacNeal
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was thinking a minimum of three names for the band to count. There are lots of eponymous duos.

Peter, Bjorn & John
billiej

Post by billiej »

Peter, Paul and Mary
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Doing the math got me to around November 11, but that is the end of World War I and nothing was captured th an at day. I decided it was WWII and only one film came to mind. I really didn't know when it was liberated but it was better than nothing. Alex's comment let me know I was right before the reveal. I can't believe I am 3/3 on three TS FJs this week.

I rented the movie years ago when I was about 25 and watched it alone. I liked it, but wasn't that blown away by it.

I have heard of EL&P but I didn't get the clue. Maybe nobody rang in because nobody knew Lake's first name.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Phillips, Craig, and Dean are one of the more well known Christian rock acts of the past decade.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Schuyler, Knobloch, and Overstreet (or Schuyler, Knobloch, and Bickhardt on their second album)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Bears My Name (4), Nature (2), Show Runners (4), New Words (4), 10,000 Maniac (4), Days (5)
Cinco de Mayo (1), The Brontes (3), American History (5), Lakes & Rivers (4), Railroads (1), "LID" (3)

Lach Trash: Paulie, pallid; Emerson, Lake & Palmer

I was thinking of the liberation of Paris, but couldn't think of a movie. I knew it after Alex gave his post-music hint before the revealings.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:24 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 am That said, it's Casablanca. Anyone over 40 who hasn't seen it has probably worked at least a little bit to avoid it. :D
I finally saw it in about 2004-05 (I was 43) when I had access to TCM. I was blown away, and I was particularly amazed by how well it had aged. (And I've still never seen Citizen Kane. I started watching it once and it, almost literally, put me to sleep. Maybe I should give it another chance some day.)
Keep in mind that Citizen Kane is so highly rated among film buffs because of the innovations in direction - camera angles, etc. It's not necessarily a popular movie in the traditional sense. There are dozens of classic movies from the same era that are probably more enjoyable to watch. You almost have to see others before appreciating what Orson Welles did to shake up how movies were made up to that point.
Couldn't disagree more. I watched Citizen Kane in my early 20's and it was awesome. An engaging, exciting masterpiece that fully lived up to its hype. Nothing to do with camera angles.

Casablanca, meanwhile, was a very well-crafted, mediocre melodrama with a cartoonishly dumb plot.

On the bright side, the movie is responsible for my favorite film review ever, by the legendary Italian writer (RIP) Umberto Eco; https://biblioklept.org/2013/05/26/casa ... berto-eco/
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 pm i agree with you on the simpson's clue, but still not with on the prog rock dudes...only people at the viewing parties that will get that will be old people or prog rock geeks
:? You calling me old? (Mid 40s, couldn't name an ELP song if you forced me to, but I know Emerson, Lake and Palmer are a thing, and the band name fit the category, so ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

davey wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 am
jkbrat wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 pm I've attempted to learn Best Picture Winners = f(year) (still a work in progress).

When doing this, it's hard to not notice that there are two films from 1942 on the list (Mrs. Miniver and Casablanca) and none from 1943. Needing to understand this inconsistency, I read up on it and learned of the late November release for Casablanca such that it was considered a 1943 movie for award purposes. So the Thanksgiving reference was key for me; not sure I would have come up with it otherwise.
Interesting. We've had some discussion here as to whether every word is always vital in a clue. I'd say for most of us Thanksgiving was a distraction - if you're not up on the exact history, naming the holiday doesn't have much meaning, but since it hung there right in the middle of the clue I certainly wasted time pondering its significance. Still once I decided I wasn't getting anywhere with it I had time to consider places in movie titles about war (and I thought World War 2 was most likely), and since I couldn't come up with any plausible movies with Paris in the title from the early 40s, Casablanca rose to mind...I was far from sure, but it kind of snapped into place anyway...So it's very satisfying to have gotten this one....
I agree--it's a pretty obscure piece of information which is not of much help to (and perhaps a distraction for) anyone unfamiliar with it. I think it's a pretty tough FJ! even if you've seen the movie (like I said, I probably wouldn't have come up with it as a guess within 30 seconds without that extra knowledge). I think missing this FJ! does not necessarily imply a lack of familiarity with the film, just a lack of a path to get to it from the given information.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 pm i agree with you on the simpson's clue, but still not with on the prog rock dudes...only people at the viewing parties that will get that will be old people or prog rock geeks
:? You calling me old? (Mid 40s, couldn't name an ELP song if you forced me to, but I know Emerson, Lake and Palmer are a thing, and the band name fit the category, so ... )
Same here except early-50s. And although I can't name an ELP song, I can say, you know, that Christmas one they did that used the tune from the Troika movement of Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije suite.

[Note: Turns out that was by Greg Lake alone. It's called "I Believe in Father Christmas"

]