5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How many times have you seen Casablanca? (Answer TWO different parts, please!)

Never
27%
Parts of it, maybe
12%
Once
19%
A Few Times
27%
Enough to Have Most of the Dialogue Memorized
15%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm under 25
4%
I've SEEN it and I'm under 25
1%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm 25-40
16%
I've SEEN it and I'm 25-40
21%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm 41-60
14%
I've SEEN it and I'm 41-60
32%
I've NEVER seen it and I'm over 60
1%
I've SEEN it and I'm over 60
8%

Total votes: 126

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: 5/3/18 FJ Poll [SPOILER!]

Post by StevenH »

I'm 32 and have never seen it, though I don't watch a lot of movies because I have a really short attention span.

Interestingly, a few years back, someone on another message board I read mentioned this article by Umberto Eco that discusses the film's popularity: http://umbertoecoreaders.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

43, and I've seen it 3 or 4 times.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm I'm 32 and have never seen it, though I don't watch a lot of movies because I have a really short attention span.

Interestingly, a few years back, someone on another message board I read mentioned this article by Umberto Eco that discusses the film's popularity: http://umbertoecoreaders.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1
I love that essay. Well worth reading.

I'm 52 and I've seen it at least 5 times--most recently with our daughter last year when she was 21. She enjoyed it. It really does hold up.

I'll second (or third or fourth) recommendations for The Maltese Falcon as well.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 am
StevenH wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 pm I'm 32 and have never seen it, though I don't watch a lot of movies because I have a really short attention span.

I love that essay. Well worth reading.

I'm 52 and I've seen it at least 5 times--most recently with our daughter last year when she was 21. She enjoyed it. It really does hold up.

I'll second (or third or fourth) recommendations for The Maltese Falcon as well.
Not only are we the same age, but we have offspring the same age as well. Though, I'm probably months older than you because the next birthday is on the horizon.

And I agree about Maltese Falcon. Also agree with StevenH, I find myself watching fewer movies these days. I think the short attention span in my case has more to do with other things that need to be done.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

You mean there's a whole movie *in addition to* the national anthem scene? The things you learn ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:08 pm You mean there's a whole movie *in addition to* the national anthem scene? The things you learn ...
I put a national anthems article in the Reretaken Down thread for you.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm 64 and checked "never seen" it although a couple of scenes are ubiquitous and I have been exposed to many parody versions of the piano playing and mock airport departure scenes. I also claim the Steven H style attention span factor, but mostly I can't enjoy old B&W movies because I find it impossible to identify male actors in particular. I couldn't even keep Rhett Butler straight in GWTW when the colorized version was broadcast to the masses. I like the period pieces (they weren't period at the time) and tried to watch a "77 Sunset Strip episode", and same deal - can't tell the good guys from the bad guys with every jump cut.

My vote is an outlier, and I'm sure Alex's premise was cromulent.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm I'm 64 and checked "never seen" it although a couple of scenes are ubiquitous and I have been exposed to many parody versions of the piano playing and mock airport departure scenes. I also claim the Steven H style attention span factor, but mostly I can't enjoy old B&W movies because I find it impossible to identify male actors in particular. I couldn't even keep Rhett Butler straight in GWTW when the colorized version was broadcast to the masses. I like the period pieces (they weren't period at the time) and tried to watch a "77 Sunset Strip episode", and same deal - can't tell the good guys from the bad guys with every jump cut.

My vote is an outlier, and I'm sure Alex's premise was cromulent.
Te
There is no "colorized" version of Gone With the Wind. Ii was made and released in color.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Watched Casablanca in my early 20's; probably would have liked it more in my early teens, when I was watching movies the most. I'm 31.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Middle-aged and I’ve seen it once. Though it was good, not great; in the Bogart oeuvre, I prefer The Maltese Falcon and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Got the FJ correct after a little thought.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:20 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:58 pm I couldn't even keep Rhett Butler straight in GWTW when the colorized version was broadcast to the masses.
Te
There is no "colorized" version of Gone With the Wind. Ii was made and released in color.
Thanks for the intel. I remember a lot of hoopla about the airing, and it must have been the 1976 network TV premiere event. The Turner colorization kerfuffle must have come later, after I'd already given up on classic movies. I also have trouble keeping characters straight in regular movies. They all run together like those bad guys in the Matrix. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

IronNeck wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:11 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm I want to see it at some point; I periodically search the digital TV listings to see if it's on. So far I've only ever seen it available on PPV.
Hmmm? That's very odd; I've never heard of such an old movie being offered on PPV. Are you sure this is correct?
IIRC it was $12.95 to watch it on demand which may not be the "classical" definition of PPV.
BobF

Post by BobF »

if you have a smart TV, you might be able to stream it off of Youtube or something similar.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I'm 23 and have yet to see the movie in question. I enjoy sampling films deemed all-time classics,but Casablanca has not been one of them so far.
It's been a goal of mine for a while now to try and see all the Best Picture winners and/or the AFI's Top 100, so I'll probably get around to it one day.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm
IIRC it was $12.95 to watch it on demand which may not be the "classical" definition of PPV.
Ah, okay. And yes, that's completely different than PPV.
davey

Post by davey »

It's available on my system (Verizon) right now for $2.99. You can "buy" it (it'll be available to you as long as you have Verizon) for $14.99. Just about any movie people want to see is available on demand these days. (Cool Runnings is also $2.99!)
Casablanca next airs on TCM May 21 at 10:15 PM ET.
Since we're recommending Bogart pictures, one of my favorites is In a Lonely Place, a dark noir in which Bogie is suspected of murder. (Not currently scheduled on TCM, sadly. It'll be back.)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:20 pm
It's available on my system (Verizon) right now for $2.99. You can "buy" it (it'll be available to you as long as you have Verizon) for $14.99. Just about any movie people want to see is available on demand these days. (Cool Runnings is also $2.99!)
Casablanca next airs on TCM May 21 at 10:15 PM ET.
Since we're recommending Bogart pictures, one of my favorites is In a Lonely Place, a dark noir in which Bogie is suspected of murder. (Not currently scheduled on TCM, sadly. It'll be back.)
I've never heard of that one - hopefully, TCM airs it sometime soon.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Casablanca is my favorite film. My eyes well up every time Victor Laszlo orders the house band to play La Marseillaise in defiance of the Nazis who occupy Casablanca. Watch the entire scene here.