Friday, May 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7755, 2018-05-04

Josh Hill game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Julie Sesnovich, a film data coordinator from Los Angeles, California
Jessica Fox, a biologist from Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Josh Hill, a network engineer from North Little Rock, Arkansas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $50,485)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. This has been a strange week on Jeopardy!. Some excellent play by all of our players in the first two rounds, accumulating tons of money, but then faltering in Final Jeopardy!. We've had some really tough Finals. But that hasn't stopped Josh from accumulating over $50,000 in just 2 days. What will happen today? The J's have arrived--Jessica and Julie. Good luck. Here we go. Categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DOWN BY THE WATER (5/5)
BODY LANGUAGE (4/5)
PLACES OF SPORT & AMUSEMENT (5/5)
A MATTER OF BIBLICAL LIFE & DEATH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE CELEBRITY OPINES (5/5)
QUICK FIX (4/5) (Alex: Give us the profession most likely to solve our problem.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Julie: 10 R, 1 W
Jessica: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julie: $2,800
Josh: $1,600
Jessica: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julie Sesnovich is from right here in Los Angeles, California. And she participates in a fantasy draft that is not sports-related at all.

Julie: It is not. It is for Oscar-nominated movies. We pick our selections in October and take it through all the way through the industry awards, the critics awards, and then all the way up to the Oscars. So all in, it's four or five months. Lot of trash-talking.

Alex: And a lot of seeing good films.

Julie: Yes.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Jessica Fox, biologist from Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Your job is what, exactly?

Jessica: I study insect brains.

Alex: Like mine?

Jessica: Yeah. I've been interested in insects for a long time. I think they're really great animals. And they do a lot of the same things that humans do and a lot of things that we can't do, with a relatively small number of nerve cells.

Alex: How do you do that?

Jessica: Microscopes.

Alex: Show-off.

Alex: Josh Hill is our champion, folks. He is a network engineer. And his brother gave him a special gift. What is it?

Josh: Yes, for Christmas a couple years ago. It's kind of on tight--

[Josh pats his collar.]

Alex: That's okay, just tell us about it.

Josh: --with the necktie. But he gave us, me and my siblings, custom dog tags to basically remind us again when he's out defending our freedoms overseas and abroad and at home, I should say.

Alex: So his name is on your dog tags?

Josh: Actually, it's all of our names. All of our details.

Alex: How nice of him.

Josh: It's really, really cool.

Alex: That's good. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josh found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Josh had $4,800, Jessica had $2,800, and Julie was at $4,400. Josh wagered $3,000.

A MATTER OF BIBLICAL LIFE & DEATH $1000: The book of Daniel mentions false accusers in Babylon being devoured by these beasts

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BODY LANGUAGE $600: Alluding to a bad boxer:
"Lead with one's ____"
(Jessica: What is the wrist?)

QUICK FIX $1000: Faulty cleanout plug, stuck shutoff valve

A MATTER OF BIBLICAL LIFE & DEATH $800: In Numbers 16 Korah & his house are swallowed up by the earth for rebelling against this leader

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Josh: $7,800
Julie: $4,400
Jessica: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CIAO, CASSINI! (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THANKS FOR THE MEMOIRS (4/5)
MOVIE REMAKES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BORROWED WORDS (5/5)
PRESIDENTS' ONE-SYLLABLE LAST NAMES (4/5)
THE LOOK OF CULTURE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Josh: 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Jessica: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Josh had $8,600, Jessica had $3,200, and Julie was at $6,000. Julie wagered $3,000.

MOVIE REMAKES $1200: Yul definitely know this 1960 remade version of "The Seven Samurai"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Josh who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Josh had $15,800, Jessica had $6,000, and Julie was at $14,200. Josh wagered $6,000.

CIAO, CASSINI! $2000: On its journey to Saturn, Cassini carried the Huygens probe, which parachuted to the surface of this moon in 2005

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE LOOK OF CULTURE $400: To emulate the gods, Mayans sought to make their babies' eyes do this by dangling toys in front of their faces
(Josh: What is dilate?)

THANKS FOR THE MEMOIRS $1200: Peter Falk's memoir takes this title from the 4-word phrase with which Columbo would annoy the guilty

CIAO, CASSINI! $400: Launched in 1997, Cassini was a joint venture by NASA, the European Space Agency & the ASI, the space agency of this country
(Jessica: What is Australia?)
(Josh: What is India?)

PRESIDENTS' ONE-SYLLABLE LAST NAMES $1200: His classmates at West Point called him Sam, as in "Uncle Sam"
(Josh: Who is Polk?)
(Alex: Uncle Sam--U.S. [*].)

THE LOOK OF CULTURE $1200: White pigment made from this metal caused nausea, & death, but pale was the look in 18th c. France

THE LOOK OF CULTURE $1600: In Japan, women used this glossy varnish to blacken their teeth--it actually prevented decay

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Josh: $25,800
Julie: $16,200
Jessica: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY HELPERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Josh: Wager $6,601 to cover Julie, but no more than $13,799 so as not to fall behind Jessica's doubled score.
Julie: You have the hope of surpassing Josh if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,601 to force Josh to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $4,199 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jessica.
Jessica: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Passepartout, whose name means "go everywhere", is the fittingly named aide in an 1873 tale by this author

FINAL SCORES
Jessica: $6,000 + $1,000 = $7,000 (Who is Verne?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julie: $16,200 + $4,000 = $20,200 (Who is Verne?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Josh: $25,800 + $6,601 = $32,401 (Who is Verne?) (3-day champion: $82,886)
(Alex: Passepartout, an aide to Phileas Fogg in a journey around the world in a specified number of days.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Josh: $19,800, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Julie: $14,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jessica: $6,000, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Josh: 23/60 = .383
Julie: 20/59 = .339
Jessica: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DOWN BY THE WATER $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm on board the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, just yards from the spot where Captain "Sully" Sullenberger safely landed US Airways Flight 1549 on this river

DOWN BY THE WATER $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm on this southeast Asian river that flows through or borders half a dozen countries & has just as many names, including Song Chau Doc

DOWN BY THE WATER $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm at Mystic Seaport, the nation's leading maritime museum, located on 19 acres in this New England state

DOWN BY THE WATER $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm in this Oregon city, named for the fur merchant who established a trading post here around 1811
(Alex: John Jacob Astor.)

DOWN BY THE WATER $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents.) I'm in this Virginia city that's named for an English county; the 887-foot battleship Wisconsin is a small part of its enormous naval & harbor complex

PLACES OF SPORT & AMUSEMENT $1000: This word is from French & Latin words meaning "bicycle" & "course"
(Julie: What is a cyclodrome?)
(Josh: What is a cyclorama?)

PRESIDENTS' ONE-SYLLABLE LAST NAMES $400: He served in the House of Representatives from 1949 to 1973
(Josh: Who is Bush?)

CIAO, CASSINI! $800: On September 15, 2017, Cassini plunged into Saturn; in its last moments, it sent back direct data on the composition of this

CIAO, CASSINI! $1200: Cassini photographed the giant jetstream around Saturn's north pole, called this for its six-sided shape

CIAO, CASSINI! $1600: Orbiting the moon Iapetus, Cassini found a huge ridge coinciding almost exactly with this geographic circle

BORROWED WORDS $2000: From the German, it's a vending machine or a restaurant full of them in New York City of yore
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

THANKS FOR THE MEMOIRS $2000: "A Journal of a Soul" was the testament of this man, who got a new job in Rome in 1958

CORRECT RESPONSES
lions
chin
a plumber
Moses
The Magnificent Seven
Titan
cross-eyed
Just One More Thing
Italy
U.S. Grant
lead
lacquer
Jules Verne
the Hudson
the Mekong
Connecticut
Astoria
Norfolk
velodrome
(Gerald) Ford
its atmosphere
a hexagon
the equator
an automat
Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY HELPERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Passepartout, whose name means “go everywhere”, is the fittingly named aide in an 1873 tale by this author

Josh Hill: 25800+6601=32401 (3x = $82,886)
Jessica Fox: 6000+1000=7000
Julie Sesnovich: 16200+4000=20200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jules Verne

Daily Doubles
Josh: 4800+3000
Julie: 6000+3000
Josh: 15800+6000

Coryats
Josh: 19800
Jessica: 6000
Julie: 14400

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 7800
Jessica: 2800
Julie: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Once again Josh facilitated a stroll along the top of the board to sample the categories.

All three players had a chance to call CIAO, CASSINI! $2000 to uncover DD3 with Jessica going away from the category after getting the $1600 clue. Julie is the one who could have taken 6000 away from Josh’s total and perhaps added enough to her score to have led for the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue had me showing one way to miss it as before Alex finished reading the first word I wrote, “Around the W.” It was a no doubt switch by the time I saw “this author” at the end of the wording.

A second way to miss the clue is of course to pick the wrong author. I did not expect the players to have Stevenson or Wells, but for board denizens of various forums to miss that way would not be the worst crime.

The best game of the season? It’s a great result for Josh going into the 2-week break of regular play and Julie played well. There have been better games though.

May the 4th be with you.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Pretty easy final. Passepartout is one that I'm sure many people know even without the additional clues (similar to how Hamilton fans probably recognized Theodosia on Wednesday).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had intended to write down some notes after the taping, but I never got around to it. I remember that this game had a couple of tape-stoppages, one of which required the contestants to turn around while something was rectified, then have one of them (I think it was Josh) say the same thing he had said before the stoppage; I don't remember what caused it, though. It may have been on the "velodrome" clue but I wouldn't swear to it.

I'm pretty sure Alex said "Thanks for the Memories" on the first try and it had to be retaped. On the cross-eyed response, Alex tried to cross his eyes, but the staff didn't like the way it came out, so they stopped the tape--he tried it once more, but that didn't work well, either, so they finally did a take without the visual demo.

This was a very entertaining week to watch. When I watched last Friday's game, I honestly didn't remember which of the three would return Monday; I had thought it might be a spoiler that the returning champion was unmemorable so I didn't mention it. The most memorable contestants for me this week were Osman and Josh. It will be interesting to see how Josh does when he resumes after the Teachers Tournament.

Pretty easy FJ!. The most drama for me was that I had a sudden urge to cough just before first of the three reveals, which I managed to hold until the applause started. (I listened to see if you can hear me coughing through the applause; I didn't hear it, anyway.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That aquarium clue seemed like HUGE negbait for pool, especially since I think of a pool as fitting "sports and amusement" moreso than an aquarium. What did I miss?

Poll request for "crosseyed"? There are lots of things eyes can do, and "glow" seemed more like a godly thing to do to me.

Mental rolodex kept flipping past Ford on 1-Syllable for $400. "Carter, Truman, Nixon, Reagan, nope, shoot, what am I missing?"

"Bodega" joins the list of "Spanish words that I somehow don't know the meaning of". I took a WAG with "vineria", which some dictionaries do show as a word meaning "wine shop", so it probably would've gotten an overturned neg on the show.

French + travel = uh... Verne.
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

After two straight days of not getting the FJ, I finally got this one. The word "Passepartout" was really all I needed.

Also, as to the Mayan thing, swinging something in front of your eyes can make them go cross. That was an instaget for me.

The year was the one that gave it away on the Ford one. 1973 was just before Watergate, which was when Ford took over as president.

Also surprised none of them got the Grant one. Granted (no pun intended), his real name was Hiram Ulysses Grant, but his commonly known name is U. S. Grant, thus Uncle Sam.
Last edited by mungojerry311 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Around the World in 80 Days was my favorite book as a child, so I had it once I saw the name of the character.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ with Passepartout, didn't need anything else. Far and away the easiest FJ of the week.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was sort of blank for a little bit. My first thought was Bram Stoker, but I knew Dracula was later and that I'd heard of Passepartout somewhere and that wasn't it. Then I thought of going distances in literature, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea came to mind, so I had Verne. Then I realized that Around the World in 80 Days made a lot more sense (plus I was pretty sure I'd read of Passepartout in its Wikipedia article), but there was no need to (mentally) cross anything out.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a fun trio, but Jessica had the bad luck to face the other two juggernauts. Julie seemed to be in command for a while and I couldn't tell if she was just dominating the buzzer or Josh was staying clam. Of course a wheelhouse movie category is a big momentum builder. I hesitate (so why am I doing it?) to comment on appearance, but Julie's hairstyle was out of my 1971 high school yearbook and she absolutely rocked it like Dayle Ann Fullerton!

Easy FJ but I almost followed Matt's faux pas of naming the book before studying the clue to find "this book". Although I am fictionally illiterate, I actually read this book but had forgotten about poor Passepartout. He was the Tenzing Norgay to Phileas Fogg. I still remember the terms "repose" and "repast" for sleeping and eating, and still have yet to hear them in real life. Early returns are high for the boardies, but I think the average viewer wouldn't do well on this clue. There was little doubt it would be a tri-get, however.

Please win at least one more game, Josh. We want to see you in the TOC!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 pm That aquarium clue seemed like HUGE negbait for pool, especially since I think of a pool as fitting "sports and amusement" moreso than an aquarium. What did I miss?
Nothing, really. I first thought pool, but switched to aquarium, thinking pools wouldn't be that large (mostly true, but the world's largest pool is about 66M gallons).
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Considering Josh is a very good champion and Julie a fine contender, there were some surprising Triple Stumpers this game, like Moses (a religion clue so easy even I got it) and Italy. (Is there a more Italian name than Cassini?)

Given her confidence and knowledge of the category, Julie should have absolutely bet all $6k on her DD instead of $3k. Luckily for her sanity, it didn't end up costing the game.

Also, poll request for @MarkBarrett for how many got the Columbo question. I got it since I watched a lot of movies, but I think it might be quite difficult.

Got FJ, but not instantly. Props to the contestants for going 3/3 on it.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Also, I wonder if they would have accepted "electrician" for "mechanic"?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 pm
Poll request for "crosseyed"? There are lots of things eyes can do, and "glow" seemed more like a godly thing to do to me.

"Bodega" joins the list of "Spanish words that I somehow don't know the meaning of".

French + travel = uh... Verne.
And wasn't the crosseyed a top box? I just couldn't imagine abusing a baby like that so I just clammed.

Yo tambien on the bodega palabra.

You ID'd that feller's name as French? I almost think it sounds more Greek. But for that matter, I didn't know Verne was French - why was the book set in London? Damn continental elites!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,400
50 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: chin, plumber, cross, Just One More Thing, U.S. Grant, lead, lacquer

French name + 19th century + adventure = Verne. Works for me.

Gutsy buzz and nice pull by Josh on the last clue of DJ! I'm sure he didn't realize it at the time, but that gave him a crush. Ultimately it didn't matter, but it increased his odds of winning quite significantly.

I see enough hits on Google that I feel confident crediting "rack your knuckles." Judges?
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 pm That aquarium clue seemed like HUGE negbait for pool, especially since I think of a pool as fitting "sports and amusement" moreso than an aquarium. What did I miss?
I don't think you missed anything. Pool was perfectly cromulent, and I'm not just saying that because I gave the same response. :D
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:17 am French name + 19th century + adventure = Verne. Works for me.
It took me about half the think music to stop trying to think of where I knew that name from and just do that. I was thinking of the wrong book (Journey to the Center of the Earth), but fortunately Verne wrote all of those.

Another pool here.

If the Mayans had invented the Optigrab, I might have had a chance on that clue.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I negged a bunch, and deserved all the negs, but there were some easy wrong paths to go down in this one. The pool-aquarium clue, as mentioned above, but I also jumped to "Savant" instead of "connoisseur" from French "knower." Maybe most frustrating of all was "Young Hickory" as a nickname for Pierce when it's more commonly associated with Polk (or so it seems). In retrospect, the geographical part of the clue suggests Pierce, but... grrrr.

On the bright side, this was my first week averaging over $25,000 Coryat, a goal I've been closing in on for a while.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was spoiled on FJ by a screenshot of Josh’s FJ response on the show’s Instagram page. That is the second time that has happened, so I am unfollowing the page.

I thought maybe it was a joke response and Verne is his brother. When I saw the FJ category, I thought of the guy in the clue and said there is no way they’d ask us to write down his name. Then I saw the clue and knew Josh had won. Despite the spoiler, I am crediting this as a get. It didn’t hurt I listened to a Back to the Future podcast this week, which mentioned Verne Brown.

Magnificent Seven as a DD with Seven in the clue?