Wednesday, May 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7758, 2018-05-09

2018 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Judy Tymkiw, an 8th grade English teacher from Fortescue, New Jersey
Scott Montanaro, a high school history and psychology teacher from Portland, Oregon
Mary Alice Korth, a 6th-12th grade choir teacher from Dowagiac, Michigan

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We're about to reach the halfway point in our quarterfinals. As you know, the winners of the quarterfinal games this week return as semifinalists next week, along with the four high-scorers among non-winners. Judy, Scott and Mary Alice, welcome. Good luck. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE STATE MUSEUM (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: You have to identify the state for us.)
PRONOUN TEST (3/5)
DON'T GIVE UP THE RELATIONSHIP (4/5)
DISNEY FACTS (3/5)
VIRUSES (5/5)
LET'S KNOT (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mary Alice: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: 6 R, 0 W
Judy: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mary Alice found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Mary Alice had $1,600, Scott had $200, and Judy was at $800. Mary Alice wagered $1,000.

IN THE STATE MUSEUM $1000: Andrew Jackson's leather wallet
(Mary Alice: What is Louisiana?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mary Alice: $1,400
Scott: $400
Judy: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Judy Tymkiw is from Fortescue, New Jersey. Now, one of your students was the all-star for the California Angels, Mike Trout.

Judy: He's been so good about giving back to the town since he's become a famous player. He has a--he started a league for kids in the town called Trout's Angels, and he's just--he's just great. He's just a great kid.

Alex: Terrific.

Alex: Scott Montanaro is from Oregon. History and psychology teacher, but you taught in Mexico, but not psychology or history. What did you teach?

Scott: That's right. After college, my wife and I moved down to the city of Oaxaca and spent some time teaching English and traveling all around Mexico.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Mary Alice Korth is a 6th to 12th grade choir teacher. You were an opera singer.

Mary Alice: I was. I still am.

Alex: This is your first year of teaching.

Mary Alice: Yes.

Alex: Why the change?

Mary Alice: Well, I was--I was living out in New York for about four and a half years, and spending so much time making a living that I wasn't making very much music. So it stopped, it stopped--it was keeping me from doing what I wanted to do, so I figured I needed to come back. I needed to do something that's gonna allow me to make an impact and be in music all the time.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRONOUN TEST $600: It can mean "each" or "one or the other"

IN THE STATE MUSEUM $800: Napoleon's death mask

DISNEY FACTS $800: Disney's CEO since 2005, he's brought Pixar, Lucasfilm & Marvel into the Mouse House

DISNEY FACTS $1000: The title animal in this, Disney's first live-action comedy, is a Bratislavian sheepdog
(Judy: Oh, my goodness.)

LET'S KNOT $600: Buntline & clove are versions of this type of knot, also a word for a period of military service

LET'S KNOT $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew ties a knot.) The rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, then back down the hole in a mnemonic for tying this classic knot used in sailing & rescue work

PRONOUN TEST $1000: Let's not argue about whether it's OK to use this 5-letter relative pronoun instead of "that" in a restrictive clause
(Judy: What is this?)

DON'T GIVE UP THE RELATIONSHIP $1000: Lisa Rinna credits keeping things steamy for her marriage to this actor lasting "150 years in Hollywood math"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Scott: $3,200
Mary Alice: $2,800
Judy: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASS OF 1918 (5/5)
PLANET EARTH (4/5)
DIFFERS BY A VOWEL (5/5)
LITERATURE IN SPANISH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POLITICAL TERMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HI, MOM! (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Mary Alice: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Judy: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Mary Alice had $2,400, Scott had $7,200, and Judy was at $1,200. Scott wagered $500.

LITERATURE IN SPANISH $2000: Mario Vargas Llosa based "The Time of the Hero" on his harsh treatment in military school in this South American capital

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Judy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Mary Alice had $10,000, Scott had $11,300, and Judy was at $2,800. Judy wagered $2,000.

POLITICAL TERMS $800: Sen. Al Beveridge coined this term in 1912 for political support at the local level "grown from the soil" of people's needs

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HI, MOM! $800: John Dickerson of this daily CBS A.M. program is the son of Nancy, the first reporter to speak to JFK after his inauguration

HI, MOM! $1200: Laura Dern is seen here with her mom, this fellow Oscar-nominated actress

HI, MOM! $1600: Mia Farrow's children include this TV & New Yorker journalist

PLANET EARTH $2000: An annual 1-million-strong migration of these animals crosses the Mara River through a gauntlet of crocs

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scott: $14,900
Mary Alice: $12,000
Judy: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Scott: Wager $9,101 to cover Mary Alice.
Mary Alice: You have to wager $3,201 to cover Judy's doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,399, so as to force Judy to be right to have a chance at winning.
Judy: Think about risking $1,800 or less, thereby beating Scott on the Triple Stumper (should Scott wager to cover Mary Alice's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 12-minute piece of music from this opera depicts Alpine dawn, a storm & the calm, & ends in a section called a galop

FINAL SCORES
Judy: $7,600 + $7,600 = $15,200 (What is William Tell?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Mary Alice: $12,000 - $10,000 = $2,000 (What is La W) (3rd place)
Scott: $14,900 - $500 = $14,400 (What is the Magic Flute?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scott: $16,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Mary Alice: $13,000, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Judy: $6,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Mary Alice: 17/59 = .288
Scott: 16/59 = .271
Judy: 15/59 = .254
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LITERATURE IN SPANISH $400: Guillermo Cabrera Infante's "Infante's Inferno" captures this country before the 1959 Communist revolution
(Mary Alice: What is Spain?)

HI, MOM! $2000: Carlene Carter's 10th studio album includes "Tall Lover Man" by this woman, Carlene's mom
(Judy: Who is... Rosanne Cash?)

DIFFERS BY A VOWEL $400: The waltz & a dimwit
(Judy: What is the... oh, gosh. Sorry.)

DIFFERS BY A VOWEL $1200: It's the bedroom style on the left & what the person on the right is hoping for

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tennessee
either
Louisiana
Robert Iger
The Shaggy Dog
a hitch
bowline
which
Harry Hamlin
Lima
grassroots
CBS This Morning
Diane Ladd
Ronan Farrow
the wildebeest
William Tell
Cuba
June Carter Cash
dance and dunce
a loft and a lift
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 12-minute piece of music from this opera depicts alpine dawn, a storm & the calm, & ends in a section called a galop

Mary Alice: 12000-10000=2000
Scott Montanaro: 14900-500=14400
Judy Tymkiw: 7600+7600=15200 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
William Tell (Mary Alice – La W) (Scott- Magic Flute)

Daily Doubles
Mary Alice: 1600-1000
Scott: 7200+500
Judy: 2800+2000

Coryats
Mary Alice: 13000
Scott: 16400
Judy: 6400

Combined: 35,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mary Alice: 2800
Scott: 3200
Judy: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I know where to give credit for my getting VIRUSES $200:
Spoiler
Mary Alice: 0/2 on big clues
Scott: 1/2 on big clues
Judy: 2/2 on big clues

That’s one way to outplay your opponents when mostly being outplayed.

Mary Alice’s chat with Alex mentioned she used to be an opera singer. Today’s Final Jeopardy! Category: OPERA

It ended up being a dream combined with nightmare for Mary Alice. She may have had more titles to sort through than a normal contestant or did not know how to key on “alpine” for a typical J! connection.

Alpine with galop was enough for me and I could have named the composer, while going into the round I was fearing some kind of Rossini, Puccini, Verdi memory sort to pick the right guy.

Hmmm, where have I heard that music before? Oh yeah:
Spoiler
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I'm guessing Mary Alice got caught way overthinking a simple FJ clue that came down to "blah blah Alpine blah blah blah." Because when I saw the clue this morning, and then looked at the contestants, I thought, "well, Mary Alice will certainly get it - will anyone else?" :oops:
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I heard "galop" and went to the Infernal Gallop (the music traditionally used for the can-can), from Offenbach's Orpheus and the Underworld (I think--this is from memory, as I was thinking through it). It didn't feel right for three reasons--it felt too hard, I wasn't sure if it was an opera or not, and it didn't seem to fit the rest of the clues (dawn and thunderstorm). So I kept trying to think of something else, but couldn't get anywhere.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Judy got the win, but Scott had to settle for...
Spoiler
the Silver.

(Hi-yo!)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For the third straight day, nothing came to me on FJ.

A good bet by Scott. He had to assume Mary Alice would get it right so there was no point in trying for the win. His bet assures him of second if he is right and doesn't kill his wild card chances if wrong. Judy made the smart all in wager from third and was rewarded with a ticket to the next round.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Alpine (William Tell features the alpenhorn as well) + galop leads straight to Guillaume Tell
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Got FJ! through "galop," and worked backward to figure out it was the William Tell Overture, and the opera from there.

How was the "nothing" clue worded? Would "none" have been accepted there?
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

The four sections got it for me - I know the overture (for a non-musician). The storm and the calm were all staples of the old cartoons. And, of course, the famous last section.
You have to feel for Mary Alice. I know it - I know I know it - I should know it - Its - just - out - of - reach - Arrgh! We've all had that feeling.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

First FJ! I got this week. Alpine pointed me toward William Tell, and I've played the overture enough times to be able to identify the sections which confirm the rest of the clue. I've never specifically thought of the famous section as a galop, but it clearly is one, and it's cool that there's the potential for that word to make someone think of horses and the Lone Ranger as a back-door solution method. I guess Mary Alice had a brain freeze moment. Sadly, she's probably going to hate that piece for the rest of her life.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm I've never specifically thought of the famous section as a galop, but it clearly is one, and it's cool that there's the potential for that word to make someone think of horses and the Lone Ranger as a back-door solution method.
Yup. By far the dumbest solve I've had in a long time, but they all count :oops: Also, having looked up the actual definition of the word 'galop', it's really hard to imagine someone dancing to that...
Vowela wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 pm How was the "nothing" clue worded? Would "none" have been accepted there?
"This indefinite pronoun is a synonym for 'zilch'". A quick google search suggests they're both indefinite pronouns and mean the same thing, so I'd say yes, but I'm not an expert.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Fortescue, NJ has to be one of the smallest towns a contestant (or champ) has hailed from. It's on the Delaware Bay and is only accessible by one road.
Everyone who posted on Twitter that the episode was rigged ended up issuing an embarrassing retraction. AT should've reminded the audience that categories are chosen prior to any knowledge of the contestants' backgrounds.
Hoping for a third lap
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

alpine --> Switzerland ---> William Tell, able to suss out the FJ.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My thought process: "galop"... um... Rodeo? That's a ballet, not an opera... "Alpine"... was The Sound of Music also an opera? Of course not... (And time ends.)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I guessed The Ride of the Valkyries, because, well, Bugs Bunny is my Opera muse. Even after the reveal, I mixed up William Tell with Robin Hood and didn't get the whole Alpine thing. And then I had to separate the 1812 Overture and William Tell Overture. Got to mind the fundamentals:
Spoiler
Lone Ranger = William Tell overture
Quaker Oats is the cereal that's shot from guns = 1812 Overture
Colonel Bogey's March = Winners, warm up with Malt-O-Meal
What a flip flop surprise ending. This game could have had 3 qualifiers go through. I didn't have Mary Alice as a lock because scary categories often turn into word or logic puzzles only peripherally related. I am glad Scott got through, he seems to be a steady player and able to stay CLAM. I agreed with his DD bet even though he ran some killer YEKIOYDS in that literature category, he was in good position and there be dragons in the $2K box.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Dawn + mountains + (galop = horses) = Ride of the Valkyries = Die Walkure...It's obvious!... :roll: :oops:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

36 R
DD: 2/3 (Tennessee, Lima)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Either, Louisiana, (Tennessee), The Shaggy Dog, Which, CBS This Morning

Ran State in the Museum and Pronouns.

0/5 in Political Terms.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Interesting that despite two older contestants, Harry Hamlin was a Triple Stumper. Bob Iger's photo in that category is really amusing in that category when you consider it was largely about Walt Disney and what his views were. Also, it's a good thing that they only mentioned Ronan Farrow's mother, not his father...

Missed FJ. Went with Aida.