Thursday, May 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This is apropos of nothing, but I find it interesting that I have had the same Coryat three out of the four games so far in the tournament, while the combined Coryat has been all over the map:

M: Me: $34,400; Contestants: $40,200
T: Me: $41,800; Contestants: $31,200
W: Me: $34,400; Contestants: $35,800
Th: Me: $34,400; Contestants: $20,600
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 am This is apropos of nothing, but I find it interesting that I have had the same Coryat three out of the four games so far in the tournament, while the combined Coryat has been all over the map:

M: Me: $34,400; Contestants: $40,200
T: Me: $41,800; Contestants: $31,200
W: Me: $34,400; Contestants: $35,800
Th: Me: $34,400; Contestants: $20,600
Interesting how closely this matches my intuitive sense of the games. Monday was easily the strongest display, with two very good contestants with a chance to win the tournament. Thursday was by far the weakest, as I noted earlier in the topic, and Tuesday and Wednesday were decent.

While I had my highest Coryat today, Thursday, I also agree that the difficulty of the questions has remained roughly the same throughout.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

42 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Stranger in a Strange Land, Wart, Nose, Cirrus, Sail Around the World, (Anatolia), Cello, Juxtaposition, Stonewall, Ghostbuster, (Charlemagne)

A bunch of category runs.

Both Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire talked about Sarah Jessica Parker and Sex and the City, what a coincidence.

An even bigger coincidence is that all of the wins this week so far have been on the third LECTERN.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Not sure how I feel about juggling being a hobby/pastime, especially since "pattern" had me thinking sewing or quiltiny. That was my only miss in the category, too.

Got all but the top box in On You, and Lach Trash on "mountain climbing". Ran Metric.

Also, if they ever again suggest that gamers are basement dwellers, I will personally track down the clue writers and bitch-slap them. That is one of my biggest pet peeves, right up there with "only elderly people watch game shows" or "country music is only listened to by toothless rednecks who are married to their sisters."

Sarah Jessica Parker is an utterly unfamiliar name to me.

I didn't hear Catherine call out $1,200 on the Who Played category. Did they edit it out by mistake?

Female + essayist + humorist + 2012 death = four pieces that don't fit in my head at all. The correct response rings not the faintest of bells for me.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:20 am An even bigger coincidence is that all of the wins this week so far have been on the third LECTERN.
Is it ironic that the area the contestants stand ON might be considered a podium when it's elevated?

For FJ... RIP Nora Ephron, apparently. I never would have guessed her in 13.772 billion years.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I think the last time before this I had not even heard of the correct FJ answer was Manchester by the Sea.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wpwells wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:01 pm Is it just me or have the FJs this tournament been extra tough?
They have been for me, but who knows if that's just a run of categories bad for me.
Spoiler
Monday: Fargo was absolutely ungettable.
Tuesday: Globe Theater was a lucky get.
Wednesday: William Tell was right up my alley, but I know opera is, uh, not everyone's cup of tea.
Thursday: Nora Ephron: no clue. I've heard the name forever but have on idea what she wrote.

Yeah, these are harder than usual.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm I couldn't think of anything better than Erma Bombeck, and I was pretty sure she was long dead.
I was pretty sure also she has been gone much longer than that, but she was also all I could come up with. At least we remember the dear lady.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

To add another data point, I'm surprised these FJs are playing out as hard as people are saying. I'm 3/4 so far, which already puts me at my average even if I miss tonight's.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

IronNeck wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 pm A lot of easy Triple Stumpers this game, probably as many as we had in the first three games this week combined.
Amen. LT on nose, asbestos, Eddie Rickenbacker, Golden Triangle, cello, Stonewall (Jackson) AND McGuffey.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I agree that tonight's boards seemed particularly gettable. I think I got all but 3 clues on the J! board. DJ was a bit tougher for me solely because of the TV category. FJ was tough for me, too. I started with Molly Ivins, but discarded her as too fringe and unlikely to have an Oscar nomination. Then I thought of Erma Bombeck and settled on her uncomfortably, again because of the Oscar thing. Nora Ephron was a good get.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I struggled mightily with FJ and out of desperation went with Joan Rivers. I knew she had died around the given year, had written at least one book and could conceivably had been an Oscar nom. Very uncomfortable with it though as she is certainly not best known as a writer. I've heard of Nora Ephron but did not know she had died (or have forgotten it).
davey

Post by davey »

To get this FJ, it helped to be acquainted with her movies but also you had to know that she had a (small) literary reputation. And she was popular. Her novel Heartburn - a roman a clef about her marriage and breakup with Carl Bernstein - was made into a movie with Meryl Streep. One of her last books of essays, I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman was a NYTimes #1 Bestseller.
As I suggested earlier, Carrie Fisher was not a bad fit for the clue in terms of reputation - though most of us would have realized she died much more recently.
I think the writers were assuming - hoping? - that people would have read obituaries of Ephron, at least. Her unexpected death (she kept her cancer a secret) was much noted at the time. (The quote in the clue is from the New York Times obit.)
davey

Post by davey »

I was wondering if we'd ever discussed Nora Ephron here before, and I came across another controversial "literary" FJ for an author who died in 2012.
Some people guessed Nora Ephron-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1270&hilit=ephron
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am I was wondering if we'd ever discussed Nora Ephron here before, and I came across another controversial "literary" FJ for an author who died in 2012.
Some people guessed Nora Ephron-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1270&hilit=ephron
That one got a whopping 17% in the poll and was runner-up for toughest of the quarter.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Wpwells wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:01 pm Is it just me or have the FJs this tournament been extra tough?
I'm 1-for-4, so yeah.

I thought of Fannie Flagg, but I know she's still alive. The only other funny author I could even come up with was Erma Bombeck. Wouldn't have gotten the right response if you gave me a year.
One of the first things I've noticed disappearing as I age is the ability to have a name pop into my head. I knew exactly who they wanted and could describe most of her filmography and could spout numerous trivial facts about her career and could have named her if spotted either the "N" in her first name or the "E" in her last name..... but the name would just not come up before time expired. Would have probably taken 10 minutes.

I had to go with Bombeck as the music ran down even though I knew it was wrong, just to have something. Sheesh. Aging and names..... maybe I should start singing "Bicycle Built for Two." More and more slowly.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Ephron was another guess this week with little confidence. I knew she was a screenwriter that had died relatively recently, but I wasn't 100% sure she had been Oscar-nominated. (Three times, it turns out: for Sleepless in Seattle (which she also directed), When Harry Met Sally..., and the work of hers that's easy to not remember her being associated with, 1983's Silkwood [her first screenplay].)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.