Thursday, January 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billy pilgrim »

Ive never been to Spain, but I kinda like the music.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
HockeyAnnouncerSean
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by HockeyAnnouncerSean »

Not sure if this is the correct place for this comment or not (if not...sorry and no offense taken if it needs to be moved or stricken), but I noticed a preview spoiler on the part of the Jeopardy! editing crew....not sure how common this is? At the beginning of this week, on the weekly preview with Alex talking about how Dave is the kind of "fun" contestant the show likes to have (which is true--you've been great, Dave!), at one point it cuts to Dave and what must be tomorrow's contestants holding up their arms (maybe doing "YMCA" or something?), which of course would indicate to any careful viewers that Dave wins any show during the week when those contestants have not yet appeared. Is this common coming from the Jeopardy! editing bay, or something of a rarity?

Once again, I'm a newb, so if this has been hashed to death somewhere else, my apologies.

I'll see you (or rather, you'll see me) on Monday, folks!

Sean
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.

and Arizona.

What does it matter?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:Amy Ludwig was a great competitor, and for awhile I even thought she might defeat Dave. However, ringing in on that last clue was really not to her advantage since it sealed Dave's lock on the game. Strategically, I think she should have stayed silent and hoped that Mark Rupp would pick up that last $2000 and break the lock. That would have at least given her some chance at picking up a win on a sole get, although it admittedly still would have required irrational wagers on the part of both Dave and Mark.
I don't remember the exact scores, but I believe if she had let Mark pick it up and break the lock, Dave's wager would still be small enough to keep her locked out.
That's always the case when third place prevents second from breaking the lock on the last clue (edit: without breaking the lock herself).

(Mathematical discussion mercifully hidden below)
Spoiler
(Use of pronouns is only to reflect the standings in this game, not to imply that a woman is more likely to be in third!)
For third place to have a mathematical chance in FJ, her score has to be greater than or equal to the difference between first and second. So (using "greater than" signs because I don't have easy access to a GTOET sign):
T > F - S, or T + S > F (which suits my purpose better right now)

When the last clue is worth $2,000, if third place still has a chance, then the scores are such that:
T + S + 2000 > F, or, thanks to the commutative property, T + 2000 + S > F

In other words, if third place can benefit from second place grabbing the final clue, she can benefit just as well by grabbing it herself. And if first place is in lock territory but S + T + 2000 is still greater than or equal to first's score, then third place can break the lock herself and take second place!

Of course, this all assumes that first will wager either to tie second or cover him with some pittance. A wager by first place that gives back a chance of victory to third place (when she ought not have one) is far more likely in a non-lock situation. But I think the chances are still small enough that we shouldn't grouse about third place killing her own chance at winning by getting the last clue. Let's just admit we hate to see barely-locked games!
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

bpmod wrote:I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.
"I've never been to the South Pole, but I know it's hot there."

-----------Archie Bunker, ca. 1973
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

dmleach wrote: At the first break Glenn came over to my podium, as he and Maggie both do for all the contestants during each break. I mentioned to him, "That was really kind of Alex to say that at the beginning of the show," to which Glenn replied, "Yeah, he doesn't really do that." I really had no idea I'd been making an impression while I was there, and have found it funny now that I've been on the air how polarizing my on-screen personality has been. There are people out there who really dislike me and can't wait for me to lose, but overwhelmingly I've been told that I've been fun to watch. I've even enjoyed reading some of the comments of my detractors. My favorite has been the person on Television Without Pity who said my laugh sounded sinister, kind of like a James Bond Villain. :mrgreen:
I find it quite fun to watch someone who really enjoys playing the game. Plus, a superchampion defeating a superchampion is always interesting.

Also, consider yourself very lucky to have this much respect from Trebek; when I won my game, I could swear he sounded disappointed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

HockeyAnnouncerSean wrote:Not sure if this is the correct place for this comment or not (if not...sorry and no offense taken if it needs to be moved or stricken), but I noticed a preview spoiler on the part of the Jeopardy! editing crew....not sure how common this is?
Far too common, sadly.

Good luck on Monday!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

My precall for FJ was Ronald Reagan, figured they'd go with something more modern instead of something that would appear on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?"