Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7762, 2018-05-15

2018 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Claire Bishop, a high school Latin teacher from Lexington, Kentucky
Rachel Niegelberg, an elementary school special education teacher from Trumansburg, New York
Judy Tymkiw, an 8th grade English teacher from Fortescue, New Jersey

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. Although none of our players on yesterday's program was able to come up with the correct response of Charleston in Final Jeopardy!--the Southern city named for a British king that Rhett Butler had referred to--Steve Mond wagered strategically. He had the most money at the end, so he comes back in two days to play against one of these ladies. Claire, Rachel, or Judy--which one will win the game and join him in the finals? Let's start finding out. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I NEED A VACATION! (4/5)
MUSIC (5/5)
EDUCATIONAL ANAGRAMS (5/5)
IT'S ONLY AN ALLUSION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MEN ON THE MOON (5/5)
FROM "B" TO "Y" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Claire: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Rachel: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Judy: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachel: $5,000
Claire: $2,600
Judy: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Claire Bishop is from Kentucky. We talked about you teaching Latin in Latin. Now did you use your Farmers Insurance grant award for a reading room that has just Latin books?

Claire: I did. I have a cart, a book cart, currently in my classroom, and it has, you know, The Hobbit in Latin, and Winnie-the-Pooh in Latin. But I'm planning on using my grant to purchase some novellas that are at lower reading levels, so that even my Latin 1 and Latin 2 kids could read some Latin books.

Alex: Yeah. Yeah, 'cause The Hobbit in Latin is tough.

Claire: It's a little bit difficult.

Alex: Yeah, I would think so.

Alex: Rachel Niegelberg from Trumansburg, New York. You go to circus school?

Rachel: I do. I take tumbling, handstands, fixed trapeze, and aerial silks classes with the best human beings I've ever met in my whole life.

Alex: And you use your experience at circus school in your classes?

Rachel: I do. I often tell my students that if they have a very successful day I will show them some handstands.

Alex: Good. All right. They're learning all kinds of things.

Alex: Judy Tymkiw is from New Jersey. You had a teacher in seventh grade, Mr. Roemer, who left you with a very important message.

Judy: I did. He was the--well, not the first, but the major person who taught me that it was really cool to be smart.

Alex: It is.

Judy: And I went to--I was in seventh grade in the late '60s, and he was a protestor, and so he taught me the value of protest, of nonviolent demonstration, of the citizens' right to protest and change government. And that it was cool to be smart and to actually think about why things were they way they were.

Alex: I like Mr. Roemer.

Judy: Me too.

Alex: Good guy.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Claire found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Judy was in the hole with -$1,000, Rachel had $5,000, and Claire was at $4,200. Claire wagered $3,000.

IT'S ONLY AN ALLUSION $800: The name of this duo Alice meets in "Through the Looking Glass" refers to a pair so alike they're near indistinguishable

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I NEED A VACATION! $800: No more hot sauce for me after sampling the fare in Cayenne, capital of this French territory
(Judy: What is Haiti?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Claire: $10,000
Rachel: $6,200
Judy: $1,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A VIDEO GAME MENAGERIE (4/5)
WORLD CAPITALS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRIPLE RHYME TIME (5/5)
BIG MOUTH (3/5)
MYSTERIES & THRILLERS (4/5)
THE KING'S ENGLISH (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Claire: 7 R, 0 W
Judy: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Judy snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Judy had $2,000, Rachel had $6,200, and Claire was at $11,200. Judy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

THE KING'S ENGLISH $1600: The third English king of this name was the first born in England; the first 2 were born in Lower Saxony
(Judy: Who is Alfred?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rachel who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Judy had $2,000, Rachel had $7,800, and Claire was at $13,200. Rachel wagered $2,500.

WORLD CAPITALS $1600: You need to use 2 hyphens when spelling the name of this Caribbean capital founded in 1749

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD CAPITALS $2000: At the foot of the Elburz Mountains lies this capital whose name you can spell with or without an "E" in the middle

MYSTERIES & THRILLERS $2000: "The Thin Man" by this author is about a former detective & his rich wife solving a murder amid high society

BIG MOUTH $1200: The basking variety of this creature can grow to 50 feet long & open its mouth a yard wide

BIG MOUTH $1600: This song by The Smiths says, "Sweetness, I was only joking when I said / I'd like to smash every tooth in your head"

A VIDEO GAME MENAGERIE $2000: In addition to the people type, you must face zombie dogs in this game, called "Biohazard" in Japan

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Claire: $16,000
Rachel: $15,900
Judy: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.N. LANGUAGES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Claire: Wager $15,801 to cover Rachel. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $601.
Rachel: Your score is within 4/5ths of Claire's, so wager between $201 (venusian) and $699 (martian), beating Claire's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Judy's part.
Judy: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Rachel, but if Rachel decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $7,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 6 official U.N. languages, it's the one that is written in a cursive form only

FINAL SCORES
Judy: $7,600 + $7,600 = $15,200 (What is Arabic?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Rachel: $15,900 + $10,000 = $25,900 (What is Arabic?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Claire: $16,000 + $15,801 = $31,801 (What is Arabic?) (Finalist)
(Alex: We have English, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish. That's five.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rachel: $15,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Claire: $13,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Judy: $9,600, 13 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Rachel: 22/59 = .373
Claire: 20/59 = .339
Judy: 14/59 = .237
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I NEED A VACATION! $200: Got my skis, but I hope I'm over my fear of heights when we make it to this nation

I NEED A VACATION! $600: I can't stop dancing now that we're in Trinidad, where this style of music originated & later had steel drums added

MUSIC $400: This "Chained To The Rhythm" singer is a judge on the 2018 version of "American Idol"
(Judy: Who is Lionel Richie?)

MEN ON THE MOON $400: John Young raced the LRV, this vehicle, through a "Grand Prix" test
(Rachel: What is a lunar recreational vehicle?)

MYSTERIES & THRILLERS $1600: Anne Hillerman continues dad Tony's series about cops of this Southwest nation in books like "Song of the Lion"
(Rachel: What is Cherokee?)

BIG MOUTH $800: The French surely love 1967's "The Big Mouth", with goofy antics involving this actor chased by gangsters

BIG MOUTH $2000: The frog-mouth helmet was primarily used by knights in these events, not on the battlefield

TRIPLE RHYME TIME $1200: The bag into which the very dark commemorative tablet goes
(Judy: What is the black--the black sack... oh, gosh.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
French Guiana
George
Port-au-Prince
Tehran
Dashiell Hammett
the basking shark
"Bigmouth Strikes Again"
Resident Evil
Arabic
Switzerland
calypso
Katy Perry
a lunar rover vehicle
Navajo
Jerry Lewis
jousts
the black plaque sack
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.N. LANGUAGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 6 official U.N. languages, it’s the one that is written in a cursive form only

Judy Tymkiw: 7600+7600=15200
Rachel Niegelberg: 15900+10000=25900
Claire Bishop: 16000+15801=31801 (Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arabic

Daily Doubles
Claire: 4200+3000
Judy: 2000-2000
Rachel: 7800+2500

Coryats
Judy: 9600
Rachel: 15000
Claire: 14800

Combined: 39,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Judy: 1600
Rachel: 6200
Claire: 10000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tough loss for Rachel trailing by only 100 in a triple get game. She can pick her spots to look back on where the narrow gap could have been made up. The wager on DD3 would be a good starting point.

7800+2500 against 2000 & 13200 on clue 10 got Rachel all the way up to…2nd place.

I played the precall game off the FJ! category as I expected either official languages or languages of Security Council members. It was an easy choice when I saw the clue.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish

The only confusion could be what one would consider cursive, but even that wasn't too hard. I've written in a non-cursive form in three of these, and Cyrillic and Chinese are certainly both disconnected, so by process of elimination we're left with Arabic.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Not an instaget for me, but straightforward. I didn't know what the six UN languages were, so I made a quick list of what I thought (correctly) they might be, then crossed off the five that were almost certainly wrong, leaving the one I was pretty sure was right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex’s opening comments are why you should watch the games in order.

A boardie shoutout to end the first round.

Had this been a TS, we’d have had another case of second place overwatering away a win. I wondered if the leader would bet small due to second place’s constraints, but she wisely didn’t rely on someone else betting logically and made the winning bet. I imagine being a student of languages, she liked the category.

I didn’t write down the UN languages in my mind pre-FJ, but I got this one pretty quickly.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AC/DC was my only get in Music. Bon Scott > Brian Johnson, simply by merit of not sounding quite as much like Gilbert Gottfried getting kicked in the nuts.

Ran Anagrams, got all but the top box in B to Y because I forgot the category.

Rhyme Time was a mess. I had none of the words in $400 (couldn't tell you what a "haricot vert" is), "fat bat ___" in $800 (can't say I've heard of "spat"), and didn't have any of the words on the rest of them.

All but Resident Evil in Video Games.

No guess on FJ! Even when he spotted the other 5, I had no idea that Arabic was the missing one. And I wouldn't remotely consider Arabic "cursive".
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Steve wagered strategically..."
*drink*

I'd have passed out if they knew Biohazard -> Resident Evil. I'm mildly surprised they even got bandicoot. Also wasn't expecting much from World Capitals after that French Guiana TS in the first round, but they did well enough.

The FJ wagers, and Rachel's DD wager, speak for themselves. Oy vey.

Instaget FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sigh. Once again, the same player who underwagers on DDs overwagers on FJ. In this case it was the former that cost her. Oh well. Claire is a good and worthy champ.

Would've been fun to see Rachel do some acrobatics.

Mrs. Penguin is still humming the Lemmings theme.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 pm The FJ wagers, and Rachel's DD wager, speak for themselves. Oy vey.
If that were true, we wouldn't see this pattern so often that it's become virtually expected. Not only do the wagers not speak for themselves, people's eyes glaze over if you ask them to listen and think about the math for 30 seconds.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 pm "Steve wagered strategically..."
*drink*
At least he didn’t say it was savvy.

I guess since he sees FJ live and probably has other things to do during the break, he doesn’t ponder wagering strategy very often. And since he is supposed to be neutral as the host, he probably shouldn’t.

But he has watched every episode since 1984. (I am assuming he was backstage for the Pat Sajak game). To call the MSB, the one wager nearly everyone seems to understand and most make from the lead, strategic, is insulting to the audience. Yes, it is good strategy and the proper thing to do. But it doesn’t require third level thinking skills. Just the ability to do simple math.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 pm I'd have passed out if they knew Biohazard -> Resident Evil.
Me too. I think the zombie dogs were in the RE movies, but that's still not a clue I'd expect many players to get.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 pm

I'd have passed out if they knew Biohazard -> Resident Evil. I'm mildly surprised they even got bandicoot. Also wasn't expecting much from World Capitals after that French Guiana TS in the first round, but they did well enough.

Instaget FJ.
that was my only miss in Video Games. Also surprised they couldn't pull French Guiana. Dashel Hammitt was also a surprising TS.
I thought the writers could've raised the challenge level by not telegraphing U.N. Languages in the FJ category.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! Even when he spotted the other 5, I had no idea that Arabic was the missing one. And I wouldn't remotely consider Arabic "cursive".
And what do you think "cursive" means?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! Even when he spotted the other 5, I had no idea that Arabic was the missing one. And I wouldn't remotely consider Arabic "cursive".
The etymology of the word seems to come from a Latin word for "running". What does that have to do with Arabic?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm
The etymology of the word seems to come from a Latin word for "running". What does that have to do with Arabic?
Don't ask what it has to do with Arabic. Ask what it has to do with writing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm
Still not seeing the connection.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:01 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm
Still not seeing the connection.
An example of cursive writing: