Thursday, May 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Yes, the 1992 College Tournament and the 2010 Tournament of Champions happened to have all three finalists come from the same quarterfinal game.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Appears I'm not the only one to stumble upon the correct response. I did it more as a joke, and only after dismissing pscoliosis. :lol:

Even an inelegant get is a get...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Shogun2049 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 am Am I the only one who noticed that the $400 question in Round 2 for "21st Century Best Sellers" was wrong? The Da Vinci Code came BEFORE the two books "Angels & Demons" and "The Lost Symbol". There was no book between those two. The order is The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, The Lost Symbol, Inferno, and Origin. Not sure how she got that right other than the fact most only know of the first book, The Da Vinci Code.
Not according to publishing dates... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Langdon
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Shogun2049 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 am Am I the only one who noticed that the $400 question in Round 2 for "21st Century Best Sellers" was wrong? The Da Vinci Code came BEFORE the two books "Angels & Demons" and "The Lost Symbol". There was no book between those two. The order is The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, The Lost Symbol, Inferno, and Origin. Not sure how she got that right other than the fact most only know of the first book, The Da Vinci Code.
The Da Vinci Code was first among the films, but Angels and Demons was the first book.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

You know Google could have dispelled this erroneous notion of yours in about ten seconds. Pretty sad first post.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

billiej wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am Appears I'm not the only one to stumble upon the correct response. I did it more as a joke, and only after dismissing pscoliosis. :lol:

Even an inelegant get is a get...
Yes! For me, it went from lumbago, which I knew was a back ailment, to plumbago, which I believed to be an actual word, whatever it meant.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am You know Google could have dispelled this erroneous notion of yours in about ten seconds. Pretty sad first post.
Out of curiosity, if it had not been his first post would you still have been as mean-spirited?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

heppm01 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:40 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am You know Google could have dispelled this erroneous notion of yours in about ten seconds. Pretty sad first post.
Out of curiosity, if it had not been his first post would you still have been as mean-spirited?
Probably. I just don't understand why people can't be troubled to fact check.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:36 pm
I'm with Kirk here. If you call out the show for an error, make sure your claim isn't disprovable in 10 seconds by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the subject.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

IronNeck wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:20 pm
I'm with Kirk here. If you call out the show for an error, make sure your claim isn't disprovable in 10 seconds by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the subject.
No argument there. It was the remark about it being a pretty sad first post that I felt was less-than-welcoming to a new member.
Shogun2049
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Shogun2049 »

Ok, so I was incorrect. I hadn't heard of the series until the announcement of the first movie, The Da Vinci Code, and that was when I picked up the series. I believe after the movie and book became huge hits, they either re-released the Angels & Demons book or just refocused on it as they were planning to work on the movie for it so it started to get pushed more. The bookstore I bought the books from had them in what I was told was the order of release, so they must've mixed them up and had Angels & Demons in the wrong spot. My mistake.

I DO know that they release the movies out of order of the books as the next movie is expected to be The Lost Symbol, not Origin. After changing the ending to the movie version of Inferno, I'll wait and see if it's worth seeing.

I have dealt with people on Reddit and other boards before, so I'm used to the people who can't just simply say "Nope, you got the order wrong because you're going by the movies, not the books." Whatever. Keep in mind, the Jeopardy Clue team HAVE made mistakes before. I've noticed they've been getting sloppier in recent years though.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Meant to post this earlier, but forgot. By now, many may have deleted the episode, but maybe those who still have it could double-check my hearing.

In the clue about the thyroid and adrenal glands, the target answer was "endocrine." I thought I heard Steve's answer as "endocrind" instead of "endocrine," and was fully expecting a reversal. Did I mishear, or did he actually put a "d" sound at the end of the word?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pm Meant to post this earlier, but forgot. By now, many may have deleted the episode, but maybe those who still have it could double-check my hearing.

In the clue about the thyroid and adrenal glands, the target answer was "endocrine." I thought I heard Steve's answer as "endocrind" instead of "endocrine," and was fully expecting a reversal. Did I mishear, or did he actually put a "d" sound at the end of the word?
I checked and only heard Laurel.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Steve had a certain style when delivering his responses and while I get you or anyone else could hear it as "endocrind", I would say it was the right word.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"What does not kill you, makes you stronger." -- Soren Kierkegaard
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:08 pm
I'm pretty sure that quote comes from Dorothy Parker. Or possibly Mark Twain. :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pmIn the clue about the thyroid and adrenal glands, the target answer was "endocrine." I thought I heard Steve's answer as "endocrind" instead of "endocrine," and was fully expecting a reversal. Did I mishear, or did he actually put a "d" sound at the end of the word?
I heard it that way too, but I think it was iffy. I wouldn't have been surprised by a reversal and wasn't surprised by the lack of one.

I'm too tired to find, extract, and upload the clip. So instead, here's a previous example where we had a lot of discussion about whether the response can be heard as the correct response or not:

Spoiler
Correct response is: Their Eyes WERE watching God. Some people could hear her as saying were or are. Others could only hear are. Alex gave her credit for were and the decision was not reversed.
Here's the response in slomo, which didn't serve to clarify the discussion but a few people might have swapped sides.

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

pinkfreud wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:08 pm
I'm pretty sure that quote comes from Dorothy Parker. Or possibly Mark Twain. :lol:
:lol: I enjoyed that. Thank you for not bringing up my sworn enemy Kelly Clarkson.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:33 pm I guess the writers figured that "plumbago" is fair game since it has come up before -- and the connection with a common school supply -- but seriously?? Way to make three bright teachers look silly, writers. Boo! :x

(Pscoliosis was the best I could come up with). :oops:
I google plumbago and all I get is a shrub. Seriously, when was the last time you heard someone say, "We need more plumbago!"? :?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:39 pm
I checked and only heard Laurel.
Well done!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Looks like I might be alone in my incorrect WAG: pstenosis. Didn’t think of lumbago, considered pscoliosis but it sounded really silly so I landed on the just as silly sounding pspinal pstenosis