Friday, May 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Friday, May 18, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rackme32 »

Mason-Dixon saved me from the Box Of Shame.

I got 3 of 5 in Soccer, kind of amazing considering how much I haaaaaaaaaate soccer....
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

tiwonge wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:32 am This act stood until 1692 (with a brief hiatus around 1654-7) following Cromwell's Glorious Revolution.
Just to save you or anyone else from being led astray should Jeopardy! ever ask a question relating to the "Glorious Revolution", I believe that term is usually reserved for when the Brits kicked out James II in 1688(?), not for when Cromwell et al beheaded James' father Charles I.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Is Larry Martin guaranteed to make the semis of the TOC? Larry Floyd, Larry McKnight and Larry Cloud all got out of the QF round for that first name having previous success. A 3/3 trend is always a good bet right? ;)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I just caught this episode after getting back from some travel. As expected, Larry put on a bravura performance in this episode, too. He's sneaky good, not particularly fast on the buzzer but with a good base of knowledge to work from, good discipline to not guess and the courage to wager strategically. It looked like Claire and Steve were making a comeback, but then Larry came roaring back to put the game away. I will be very interested to see how he fares in a TOC setting. Colby Burnett and Jason Sterlacci have set quite a high bar for Teachers Tournament winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was also traveling (Ireland & England) so I just caught this episode last night. Larry was talking about a semi-literate soccer star during his interview. Any guesses?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am I was also traveling (Ireland & England) so I just caught this episode last night. Larry was talking about a semi-literate soccer star during his interview. Any guesses?
I don't know and it's probably not fair to throw out names, but perhaps Cosmos, D.C. United or Galaxy famous players?
LarryMartin

Post by LarryMartin »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:03 pm That last names of literary characters category that came up in the DJ round seemed brutally hard.

I was happy to get the Lach trash on France, from New Caledonia.

FJ was an instant get, and it saved me from being shut out for the week. Also, this FJ clue reminded me of the Dixie question that came up in LL recently.

Larry was mighty impressive in this tournament. I thought that he may have been getting mentally fatigued there for a second, but he recovered nicely. I can't wait to see what he can do in the ToC!
Thank you! I also can't wait to see what I can do. It's taken me nearly this long to start turning my thoughts toward the ToC, as something that's actually going to happen, and not just an abstract notion.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LarryMartin wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:03 pm That last names of literary characters category that came up in the DJ round seemed brutally hard.

FJ was an instant get, and it saved me from being shut out for the week. Also, this FJ clue reminded me of the Dixie question that came up in LL recently.

Larry was mighty impressive in this tournament. I thought that he may have been getting mentally fatigued there for a second, but he recovered nicely. I can't wait to see what he can do in the ToC!
Thank you! I also can't wait to see what I can do. It's taken me nearly this long to start turning my thoughts toward the ToC, as something that's actually going to happen, and not just an abstract notion.
A warm welcome to you, Larry. That was one cool, calm, and collected performance you gave!
LarryMartin

Post by LarryMartin »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:53 am
LarryMartin wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 pm

A warm welcome to you, Larry. That was one cool, calm, and collected performance you gave!
Thanks, I hope to be able to repeat that sort of performance (particularly in demeanor, which I have more control of, but also in results)