Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by StevenH » Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Lefty wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 pm
StevenH wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 pm
I told myself that the year was too early for Dostoyevsky and just right for Pushkin...but still went with the former, simply because he seemed more likely to be the correct response to a regular show FJ. I knew Pushkin died in a duel, but that was not going to help me on the clue.
I think it was useful to know. It does still leave Lermontov, but probably not famous enough for FJ.
Oh, for sure! It was nothing but my own ignorance that did me in on the clue.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Ran band names and Illinois. No guess on FJ.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm

For the first time since I began watching Jeopardy, I swept a musical category. In related news, the fill in the blank for the musical group was very easy. Missed a sweep on authors by going with "Buck" instead of "Tam" on the last one.

My Coryat was well over $35,000 but I only got one LT; Dali on the missed DD. Speaking of DDs, Andrew should have bet everything on his, and it ended up putting him in 3rd instead of 2nd heading into FJ. He was lucky not to be locked out completely. Not sure why anyone in the audience laughed at Josh's $5 wager on his DD; that was very smart if he had low confidence in the category.

Instaget on an easy FJ. I can partially understand if someone had erred with Gogol or Lermontov, but Tolstoy and Dostoevsky were especially poor guesses indicating that one doesn't know much about those writers, either.
Last edited by IronNeck on Tue May 22, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 pm

48 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Renee, Who Do You Think You Are?, (Salvador Dali)

Almost had Art & Artists $2000. Said gleaner rather than sower. The two have pretty similar definitions and Millet did do a work titled "The Gleaners".
Gleaner has to do with picking up grain whereas sower has to do with planting seeds.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

User avatar
lisa0012
3rd Time's the Charm?
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lisa0012 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 pm

9021amyers wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 pm
90s kids know that the real What Would You Do? was hosted by Marc Summers. John Quinones is an imposter!

I forgot about that show! My inner 90s teen (apparently I had just turned 13 when it came out) thanks you.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3703
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm

I had what may be my all-time best Coryat in a non-tournament game with $48,600, but then FJ took me down. I knew enough to know that it wasn’t Tolstoy or Dostoevsky, but was it Pushkin or Gogol and when did Turgenev live, anyway? I knew that cuckoldry was the TOM but my lack of familiarity with their biographies cost me. Another good win for Josh. I look forward to watching the rest of his run.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 pm

There was a very subtle reference to Michelle McNamara in this episode
https://news.avclub.com/todays-jeopardy ... 1826245652



Instafinal, then once Tolstoy was revealed I suddenly realized I might have been very wrong. So it was lucky for me Tolstoy -didn't- cross my mind. :lol:

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Woof wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm
I had what may be my all-time best Coryat in a non-tournament game with $48,600,
Wow, congrats. That is a phenomenal result.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2979
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Music is far from my niche, but I went 5/5 despite not being able to name any songs by them.
Now you can name "Everyday People" by Sly & the Family Stone and "Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy" by Bad Company, right. :)

4/5 for me as the last song is familiar but for naming the group (forgive me music fans for I have sinned) I had no idea whether to go for Bad Company or Bad Finger. If I had known it's Badfinger that would have helped me go the other way.
By the time we reached the end of the category I had realized that every response in the category Musical Groups was a social group - clan, family, cult, crew, company.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 pm
I READ YOU LOUD & CLEAR! $1000: “’Only two kinds of daughters,’ she shouted in Chinese. ‘Those who are obedient and those who follow their own mind!’”

Josh went the wrong way and Andrew rebounded it. For a lesser value I would have tossed the coin while for bottom box I stayed calm.
Same here, I think. From the couch, I said Buck. But even as I said it I thought, nah, it's probably Tan. So under the lights, this could've been a thing where I rang in intending to give the wrong response but switched to the right one before speaking. Alternatively, under the lights, this could've been a thing where I rang in and said, "What is Oregon?"
Pearl Buck is known today, if at all, for one book - The Good Earth- a story of Chinese people in China. Everybody shouts in Chinese... Amy Tan writes about Americans, who might have to shout in Chinese to their immigrant relatives.
I wish I could have brought such clear thinking to remembering Pushkin - the recent clue about Gogol only made you remember his name, this one made you recall his bio!

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1014
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cinemaniax7 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am

Can someone provide me with the wording on the Whistler clue? I don't see the justification for the judges' overturning their ruling on Hermine's response of "nuit." Nuit is indeed a French word for "night," but Whistler didn't call the paintings in question "nuits." He called them "nocturnes."

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2979
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am
Can someone provide me with the wording on the Whistler clue? I don't see the justification for the judges' overturning their ruling on Hermine's response of "nuit." Nuit is indeed a French word for "night," but Whistler didn't call the paintings in question "nuits." He called them "nocturnes."
Whistler gave musical titles to his paintings: twilight & night scenes were called this, from the French for "night"
I guess what they realized is that nocturne is not from the French for night, nuit. It's from the French for nocturne, nocturne...
They gave Hermine back her points, didn't credit her with a correct response.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 am

StevenH wrote: I would have been tempted to wager 8k on the Art DD in Josh's spot. But I never even thought of Dali. I went with Duchamp, with Picasso as my second guess.
I had a major case of dejavue on that one because it seemed like they just asked for Dali in a mustache category last week. Then I realized it must have been Saturday evening's rerun where I saw it.

I got all but the top clue in Musical Groups. or which ever one "Clan" was

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 am

RobW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:07 pm
I think the interesting "what if" game is imagining a slightly larger DD3 wager from Josh. He loses $100 instead of $5, and Hermine ends up with exactly 2/3 of his score for that triple stumper final.
$5 Daily Double wagers are critically underrated, and I'd like to hope that more people see what happened tonight as an example on what to do.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2704
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 am

Coryat: 35,200
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Rene, Who Do You Think You Are?, Salvador Dali (DD)

I didn't like Tolstoy as a FJ! response, but it was the best I could muster.

John is a very good player with a deep knowledge base. I could see him doing some damage in the next TOC.
Sprinkles are for winners.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Wed May 23, 2018 4:44 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 am
John is a very good player with a deep knowledge base. I could see him doing some damage in the next TOC.
Who is John?

But yeah, Josh is an excellent player, and hopefully using his time to shore up weaknesses in painting and Russian literature/poetry.

User avatar
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jkbrat » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm

davey wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am
Can someone provide me with the wording on the Whistler clue? I don't see the justification for the judges' overturning their ruling on Hermine's response of "nuit." Nuit is indeed a French word for "night," but Whistler didn't call the paintings in question "nuits." He called them "nocturnes."
Whistler gave musical titles to his paintings: twilight & night scenes were called this, from the French for "night"
I guess what they realized is that nocturne is not from the French for night, nuit. It's from the French for nocturne, nocturne...
They gave Hermine back her points, didn't credit her with a correct response.
Thanks for the explanation (as I had that same question in mind).

I really don't understand how a professional-level clue writer puts a fact (from the French for "night") in a clue without first verifying that the fact is, in fact, factual. :(
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3703
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof » Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 pm

jkbrat wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm
davey wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am
Can someone provide me with the wording on the Whistler clue? I don't see the justification for the judges' overturning their ruling on Hermine's response of "nuit." Nuit is indeed a French word for "night," but Whistler didn't call the paintings in question "nuits." He called them "nocturnes."
Whistler gave musical titles to his paintings: twilight & night scenes were called this, from the French for "night"
I guess what they realized is that nocturne is not from the French for night, nuit. It's from the French for nocturne, nocturne...
They gave Hermine back her points, didn't credit her with a correct response.
Thanks for the explanation (as I had that same question in mind).

I really don't understand how a professional-level clue writer puts a fact (from the French for "night") in a clue without first verifying that the fact is, in fact, factual. :(
My only guess is that in some iteration of editing the idea that nocturne is derived from the Latin root for night got turned into the misleading hint in the clue.

User avatar
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jkbrat » Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm

I knew that 1837 + duel -> Pushkin; they gave the 1837 part, and calling someone a "cuckold" sure seems like it would have been sufficient grounds for a duel, so Pushkin it is.

I negged with endomorphin for endorphin (or was it the other way around?) (and not for the first--nor probably last--time).

Josh ran the Illinois and Be Kind categories in the first round but didn't get any run-the-entire-round applause. The downside of category hopping, I guess. I will offer some virtual applause here to try to make it up to him: [clap, clap, clap]. ;)

He is a very impressive player! I was fully prepared for stand-and-stares on Almaty -> Kazakhstan and N'Djamena -> Chad, but, no, Josh is right there to collect those $$. He's a pleasure to watch and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Congratulations to him on his path to the TOC; hopefully he will have a chance to brush up on his art in the meantime. Engineers FTW! :D
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

User avatar
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jkbrat » Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Woof wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 pm
jkbrat wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm
davey wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am
Can someone provide me with the wording on the Whistler clue? I don't see the justification for the judges' overturning their ruling on Hermine's response of "nuit." Nuit is indeed a French word for "night," but Whistler didn't call the paintings in question "nuits." He called them "nocturnes."
Whistler gave musical titles to his paintings: twilight & night scenes were called this, from the French for "night"
I guess what they realized is that nocturne is not from the French for night, nuit. It's from the French for nocturne, nocturne...
They gave Hermine back her points, didn't credit her with a correct response.
Thanks for the explanation (as I had that same question in mind).

I really don't understand how a professional-level clue writer puts a fact (from the French for "night") in a clue without first verifying that the fact is, in fact, factual. :(
My only guess is that in some iteration of editing the idea that nocturne is derived from the Latin root for night got turned into the misleading hint in the clue.
Hang on while I grab my copy of The Copyeditor's Handbook....

OK, from page 4, so really not an arcane aspect of copyediting:
You're not expected to be perfect, though. Every copyeditor misses errors here and there. But do respect the four commandments of copyediting:

[...]

* Thou shalt not introduce an error into a text that is correct.
(As in other areas of life, in copyediting an act of commission is more serious than an act of omission.)
So the subsequent editing of a clue is not an excuse for the insertion of a factual error.

P.S. Why yes, TPTB, I am, in fact, a copyeditor. Available to start asap? #OhHeckYeah! :lol:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Wed May 23, 2018 4:16 pm

jkbrat wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm
I knew that 1837 + duel -> Pushkin; they gave the 1837 part, and calling someone a "cuckold" sure seems like it would have been sufficient grounds for a duel, so Pushkin it is.
The above is about twelve times more than I ever even suspected about Pushkin, so if you knew enough to piece this FJ together, good for you, man.

I've seen a few comments here to the effect of "who else could it be besides Pushkin?" When I saw this reveal I predicted that this would be one of the---if not THE---lowest get rate of the season. Perhaps more than a few people on this board just know way more about this than I suspected (and Josh, let me not forget). My hat is off to all of you.


Josh seems to be the real deal: deep and broad knowledge base, good on the signaling device, and helluva nice guy too. Wonder how long he can keep this up.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], seaborgium and 29 guests