Wednesday, May 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7768, 2018-05-23

Josh Hill game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Tara Yack, a structural engineer from Denver, Colorado
Luke Devlin, a strategic communications associate from Bronxville, New York
Josh Hill, a network engineer from North Little Rock, Arkansas (whose 5-day cash winnings total $117,319)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. As you just heard, Josh won his fifth show yesterday, qualifying for our annual Tournament of Champions. So you will see him again in the future on our show, regardless of what happens here today against Luke and Tara. Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TAKE THE CATEGORY IN ORDER (3/3) (Alex: Because each correct response as we work down the category will help you with the next clue.)
IN GENERAL (5/5)
YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT BETTER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AS YOU GO DOWN (0/2)
IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL! (2/5)
TRUST US! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Luke: 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Tara: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Josh: $2,200
Luke: $400
Tara: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tara Yack is a structural engineer from Denver, Colorado. Tara, do you do most of your work in an office at a drawing board, or do you get out in the field a lot?

Tara: Most of it is in a cubicle behind a computer. However, I do get to go out into the field and work on existing sites and Greenfield sites. So every once in a while I get to go out.

Alex: Good for you. Terrific.

Alex: Luke Devlin, from Bronxville, New York.

Luke: Yes.

Alex: I wanna hear about a teacher you had in high school. We had our Teachers Tournament recently.

Luke: Yeah.

Alex: And that's our annual tribute to teachers.

Luke: Sure.

Alex: But you had a different kind of teacher. He was a liar.

Luke: He was a wonderful teacher. He was a liar. He will dispute this when he sees it, but he would tell these amazing old stories of growing up in Brooklyn, and he was the track coach as well. And I had him for three years taking Latin. And we, at the end, when he retired, my friends and I compiled a full list of all the lies he had told for the three years that we had him. And presented it to him, much to his chagrin, as he said, "They're all true." He contested the lie.

Alex: Interesting story.

Luke: Yes.

Alex: Josh Hill, you're a soccer fan. English Premier League soccer fan. Which team?

Josh: Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Alex: Now, the past year was a good one for Manchester City. For years and years and years, you know, Manchester United was top of the line. And now all of a sudden, Manchester City. What about the Hotspurs? How are they doing?

Josh: Well, we have a new coach that came in about five years ago and has really turned the team around. We went from being mid-table, Europa League. We've been Champions League two years in a row. We're going to the knockout stage, and you know, we're just moving forward. Building a new stadium, new stadium will open next fall.

Alex: Okay, all right. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Luke found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Josh had $1,400, Luke had $1,000, and Tara had a deficit with -$800. Luke made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT BETTER $600: Virgil's "omnia vincit amor" is this saying in English about the power of the heart
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AS YOU GO DOWN $200: Guess Nike wasn't taking calls when the 413-404 B.C. Ionian War did not go the way of this city-state
(Luke: What is Sparta?)
(Tara: What is Troy?)

IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL! $200: Murder by the butler in Mary Roberts Rinehart's 1930 mystery "The Door" helped popularize this 4-word cliche

TRUST US! $400: You talkin' to Ben Stiller? You, being this actor who explained the circle of trust to Ben in "Meet the Parents"
(Luke: Who is Dustin Hoffman?)

AS YOU GO DOWN $400: He lost a power battle to fellow Communists & dealt with the wrong side of an ice axe in Mexico
(Josh: Who is Villa?)

IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL! $800: Old but reliable Betteredge the butler narrates the search for a fabulous missing gem in this Wilkie Collins work
(Tara: What is The Jewel of the Nile?)
(Josh: What is Pink Panther?)

IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL! $1000: This "admirable" butler of J.M. Barrie's play rises above his aristocrat employers & becomes their king

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Luke: $5,600
Josh: $2,200
Tara: $200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GIVE US THE BIRD (4/5)
HISTORICAL FICTION (2/5)
DIMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BAND MATH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLANET OF THE CAPES (5/5)
MIND YOUR "P"s & "Q"s (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with a "P" or a "Q", but not necessarily in that order.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh: 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Luke: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Tara: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Luke snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Josh had $3,400, Luke had $6,400, and Tara was at $200. Luke wagered $3,000.

BAND MATH $1200: Frankie Valli's "Seasons" times Linda Perry's "Non Blondes"
(Alex: 4 times 4.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Josh who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Josh had $10,200, Luke had $13,400, and Tara was at $5,400. Josh wagered $4,800.

DIMES $1600: A new design for the dime was released on January 30, 1946, which would have been this man's 64th birthday

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BAND MATH $1600: Dave Clark's boys times Ben Folds' boys
(Alex: 5 times 5 is [*].)

HISTORICAL FICTION $400: In "Cloudsplitter" by Russell Banks, the son of this martyred abolitionist recalls his father

GIVE US THE BIRD $2000: This bird name follows red-naped, red-breasted & yellow-bellied
(Josh: What is throater?)

HISTORICAL FICTION $800: "Battle Lines" is book one of the "Last Good War" novel series, set during this war
(Josh: What is the Civil War?)

HISTORICAL FICTION $1600: The king in "To Defy a King" is this lizard-hearted brother of King Richard the Lionheart

DIMES $2000: The 1916-1945 dime known as this actually showed Lady Liberty with wings, symbolizing freedom of thought

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Josh: $17,000
Luke: $13,400
Tara: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GREEK MYTHOLOGY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Josh: Wager $9,801 to cover Luke.
Luke: You'll want to wager $3,601, and you'll win the game if Josh wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Tara: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This pair who accompanied their father into battle were called Timor & Formido, "Fear" & "Terror", by the Romans

FINAL SCORES
Tara: $5,400 - $0 = $5,400 (Who are Bert & Ernie) (2nd place: $2,000)
Luke: $13,400 - $13,300 = $100 (Who are Casper and Pollux?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Josh: $17,000 + $9,801 = $26,801 (Who are Phobos and Deimos) (6-day champion: $144,120)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Josh: $13,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Luke: $11,200, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Tara: $5,400, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Josh: 21/59 = .356
Luke: 15/60 = .250
Tara: 8/58 = .138
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TAKE THE CATEGORY IN ORDER $400: Here's an old-timey version of this kitchen implement that's sure to spice up your meal

IN GENERAL $400: In 2012, this ex-Cabinet member here was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom
(Luke: [Exhales] Oh.)

IN GENERAL $800: If you're the kind of person who just doesn't get it, you're this, also a geometric term for this angle

TRUST US! $1000: As therapist Sean Maguire, he got Will Hunting to trust him & won an Oscar
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

MIND YOUR "P"s & "Q"s $400: A large bird feather used as a writing implement in centuries past
(Josh: What is a quill? ...What is [*]?)
(Alex: All right, we'll accept it. Remember, there are two. Two things coming up in each correct response.)

BAND MATH $400: Ali Campbell's "UB" minus Adam Clayton's "U"
(Alex: 40 minus 2.)

BAND MATH $800: Trent Reznor's "Inch Nails" plus Josh Dun's "Pilots"
(Alex: 9 and 21.)

DIMES $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents.) The arrows around 1853 on the dime on the right show it contained less of this element, which was reduced that year due to a rise in its price

BAND MATH $2000: Pop punk "Sum" times pop rock "Maroon"
(Alex: 41 times 5.)

GIVE US THE BIRD $1200: Sorry, no picture of the great or snowy this wading bird of the Everglades; they send their...
(Josh: What are flamingoes?)

PLANET OF THE CAPES $800: Mexico's resort region of Cabo San Lucas is found at the southern tip of this peninsula

DIMES $800: In 1838 13 of these representing the original 13 colonies were added to the face of dimes
(Tara: What are flags?)

PLANET OF THE CAPES $1600: The Gaelic songs & poems of Malcolm Gillis praise the landscape of Cape Breton in this Canadian province

MIND YOUR "P"s & "Q"s $1200: Different designs on various pieces of cloth all sewn together give this warmer its name

DIMES $1200: Liberty on the 1796-1807 draped bust dime was based on a sketch by this George Washington portraitist
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
love conquers all
Athens
the butler did it
Robert De Niro
Leon Trotsky
The Moonstone
the admirable Crichton
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
John Brown
sapsucker
World War II
King John
the Mercury dime
Phobos and Deimos
a pepper grinder (or pepper mill)
(Madeleine) Albright
obtuse
Robin Williams
a quill or pen
silver
egrets
Baja California
stars
Nova Scotia
a patchwork quilt
(Gilbert) Stuart
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GREEK MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This pair who accompanied their father into battle were called Timor & Formido, “Fear” & “Terror”, by the Romans

Josh Hill: 17000+7801=26801 (6x = $144,120)
Luke Devlin: 13400-13300=100
Tara Yack: 5400-0=5400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Phobos & Deimos (Luke – Casper and Pollux) (Tara – Bert & Ernie)

Daily Doubles
Luke: 1000+1000
Luke: 6400+3000
Josh: 10200+4800

Coryats
Josh: 13800
Luke: 11600
Tara: 5400

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 2200
Luke: 5600
Tara: 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TAKE THE CATEGORY IN ORDER was a bust with the players not completing it, not taking the three clues that were seen consecutively and having an alternative correct response.

I cannot figure out the pattern of the category as to how it would finish:
Spoiler
Pep to Pepper Mill to Miller High Life to ? Lifer? The J!6 was Life360
For the J! round categories across the board it was a nice message: Take the category in order, in general you’ll understand it better as you go down. It will serve you well! Trust us!

The Wilkie Collins gem work had a hilarious double fail.

The FJ! round also had laughs with the contestant misses of one intentional and one accidental. Thank you to Josh for giving the clue a hit as an 0/3 would have been a sad commentary on contestants in 2018. I spent more time on my response checking my spelling than it took me to solve it or write it.

Paging RobW: See that elevator, push the button to go down one floor.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Greek mythology pairs. That narrows it down. A pair that might fight? Phobos and Deimos, sons of the god of war. 3/3 for the week.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:01 pm Paging RobW: See that elevator, push the button to go down one floor.
... it was bound to happen sooner or later ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Considering how disjointed the first round was, and how many clues were left on the board, I was fine with a 8200 coryat in that round. A good run in double got me up to 32,600 for the game. And that's with being dense on quantum physics (I momentarily forgot the category quirk and was trying to find a phrase that went "physics q...", and not having my eastern Canadian geography or the Richard the Lionheart pavlov down yet, so lots of room to grow yet, to be sure.

And then I whiffed on final. No idea, though of course it was obvious in retrospect. I said "the furies" just to have something.

EDIT: Have they had theme categories that need to be tackled from the top like this before? It's new to me, but I haven't been watching as long as most of you.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

You're in the US, Alex. Pronounce "lieutenant" like an American! :)

There have been plenty of categories that would be easier taken in order, but I don't know if there have been any with this advisement attached to it. (I mean, I don't think that "pep" made "pepper mill" any easier, but I might have helped with the harder clues.)

The stars on dime question would have been easier had the contestants been paying attention to the image of a dime that had just been displayed a few moments earlier. That's how I got it.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 pm And then I whiffed on final. No idea, though of course it was obvious in retrospect. I said "the furies" just to have something.
Furies, not furries?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 pm
EDIT: Have they had theme categories that need to be tackled from the top like this before? It's new to me, but I haven't been watching as long as most of you.
The answer is yes. Do an Archive search for "take in order" to find some of the previous times. The Archivist will show the instructions given by Alex in the category name.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I loved Tara's FJ nod to my favorite odd couple!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm I loved Tara's FJ nod to my favorite odd couple!
It probably won't get the internet's attention the way some other snarky FJ responses have garnered - but I think it's one of the funniest.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Josh really had to fight for his win today. The easy late DD helped.

How was "The butler did it" a stand-and-stare when half the response was in the clue? Overthinking it?

Didn't know "basta" was also Italian.

Band Math was cute, and I even recognized all the bands in it. Still derped it up by having one too many Non Blondes and 20 too few Sum. Not like I could figure out how to do 41 x 5 in my head anyway.

No guess on FJ! I know Phobos and Deimos as the names of moons, but not as anything else.

Lach Trash: "the butler did it", 25
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I got Phobos and Deimos from knowing they are the moons of Mars. But now am bemused by the fact that the planet is Roman, but the moons are Greek. That seems odd.
Teems with quiet fun.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I couldn't come up with both of the moons of Mars so went with Castor and Pollux just to have something.

The take in order category was rather lame. You didn't need a hint to get either of the lower two clues we saw.

Good job by Josh to come from behind to claim a suoerchamp label. I would have gone all in on that last DD. There is only so much you can ask about a dime and they made the DD Kids Week level.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

tiwonge wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm You're in the US, Alex. Pronounce "lieutenant" like an American! :)
But the character the clue was about was a Brit. I was glad he gave it the Brit pronunciation, in the context.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

immaf wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:03 pm I got Phobos and Deimos from knowing they are the moons of Mars. But now am bemused by the fact that the planet is Roman, but the moons are Greek. That seems odd.
Not really. Most of the moons are named for Greek mythological characters. When Uranus' moons were discovered, they decided to throw in some Shakespeare as well.

Plenty of trash I got--Athens, The Butler Did It, Trotsky, 25 from Band Math, John Brown, sapsucker, WW2 (the last good war should be a Pavlov), King John, and Mercury. Given that, was a bit surprised that Josh pulled out the FJ.

Given the Mercury dime, I figured we could rule out Hermes for the FJ :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's all the available trash. I picked up $8,400 from the fourth podium and doubled it in FJ for $16,800. :D

$200 AS YOU GO DOWN: GUESS NIKE WASN'T TAKING CALLS WHEN THE 413-404 B.C. IONIAN WAR DID NOT GO THE WAY OF THIS CITY-STATE
Spoiler
Sparta, Troy
Spoiler
Athens
$200 IT WILL SERVE YOU WELL!: MURDER BY THE BUTLER IN MARY ROBERTS RINEHART'S 1930 MYSTERY "THE DOOR" HELPED POPULARIZE THIS 4-WORD CLICHE.
Spoiler
The butler did it
$400 TRUST US!: YOU TALKIN' TO BEN STILLER? YOU, BEING THIS ACTOR WHO EXPLAINED THE CIRCLE OF TRUST TO BEN IN "MEET THE PARENTS"
Spoiler
Dustin Hoffman
Spoiler
Robert De Niro
$400 AS YOU GO DOWN: HE LOST A POWER BATTLE TO FELLOW COMMUNISTS & DEALT WITH THE WRONG SIDE OF AN ICE AXE IN MEXICO
Spoiler
Villa
Spoiler
Leon Trotsky
$800 SERVE YOU WELL: OLD BUT RELIABLE BETTEREDGE THE BUTLER NARRATES THE SEARCH FOR A FABULOUS MISSING GEM IN THIS WILKIE COLLINS WORK
Spoiler
Jewel of the Nile, The Pink Panther
Spoiler
The Moonstone
$1,000 SERVE YOU WELL: THIS "ADMIRABLE" BUTLER OF J.M. BARRIE'S PLAY RISES ABOVE HIS ARISTOCRAT EMPLOYERS & BECOMES THEIR KING
Spoiler
The Admirable Crichton
$1,600 BAND MATH: DAVE CLARK'S BOYS TIMES BEN FOLDS' BOYS
Spoiler
5 times 5 is 25
$400 HISTORICAL FICTION: IN "CLOUDSPLITTER" BY RUSSELL BANKS, THE SON OF THIS MARTYRED ABOLITIONIST RECALLS HIS FATHER
Spoiler
John Brown
$2,000 GIVE US THE BIRD: THIS BIRD NAME FOLLOWS RED-NAPED, RED-BREASTED & YELLOW-BELLIED
Spoiler
throater
Spoiler
sapsucker
$800 Historical Fiction: "BATTLE LINES" IS BOOK ONE OF THE "LAST GOOD WAR" NOVEL SERIES, SET DURING THIS WAR
Spoiler
Civil War
Spoiler
World War II
$1,600 FICTION: THE KING IN "TO DEFY A KING" IS THIS LIZARD-HEARTED BROTHER OF KING RICHARD THE LIONHEART
Spoiler
King John
$2000 DIMES: [picture of dime that I don't feel like uploading] THE 1916-1945 DIME KNOWN AS THIS ACTUALLY SHOWED LADY LIBERTY WITH WINGS SYMBOLIZING FREEDOM OF THOUGHT
Spoiler
the Mercury Dime
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got FJ from the Mars moon angle. I'm unfamiliar with the actual story.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

That game, especially the first board, was bowling shoe ugly. The average person on the street would probably have gotten the Robert de Niro and King John Triple Stumpers, and one need only very minimal knowledge of trivia to get Athens, "the butler did it", and Leon Trotsky.

Sadly but predictably, "The Moonstone" was a Triple Stumper, which I thought it would be as soon as I saw the clue. Like I said, hardly anyone reads anymore and thus 90% of contestants are poor at literature.

That being said, Josh Hill showed the heart and will of a champion, pulling it together in the Double Jeopardy round and a sole get on FJ.