Thursday, May 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7769, 2018-05-24

Josh Hill game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Tom Campo, a project manager from West Roxbury, Massachusetts
Kristen Krikorian, a marketing director from Souderton, Pennsylvania
Josh Hill, a network engineer from North Little Rock, Arkansas (whose 6-day cash winnings total $144,120)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, everybody. Thank you, Johnny. Hello. On a few shows earlier this week, we didn't manage to clear the board of all the clues, so I'm gonna keep my comments to a minimum, welcome Kristen and Tom, wish all three of you good luck and put you to work in the Jeopardy! Round, just like that. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION (5/5)
RAISIN D'ETRE (3/5)
WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS (3/5)
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? (5/5)
TV ANIMAL ROUNDUP (5/5)
FAKE CLUES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristen: 10 R, 0 W
Josh: 8 R, 0 W
Tom: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Josh had $600, Kristen had $2,600, and Tom was at $600. Tom wagered $1,000.

FAKE CLUES $400: Britannica cites the Piltdown man & the Feejee mermaid in its articles on this type of 4-letter scam
(Tom: What is a myth?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristen: $2,600
Josh: $1,400
Tom: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I have a feeling the first player we introduced on our program today, Tom Campo, from Roxbury, Massachusetts, is about to make me feel very old. When you were a child, you knew it was bedtime when...

Tom: When the end credits music to Jeopardy! started playing, my mom told me I knew it was time for bed. And because I was such a sweet boy, I would say good night to Alex.

Alex: Yeah, you make me feel old.

Alex: Kristen Krikorian is from Souderton, Pennsylvania. Did I say that right?

Kristen: You did. Good job.

Alex: Okay. Now, I'm not a tattoo fan. But I gather you are, and you got a most interesting tattoo when you were younger.

Kristen: I do, yeah. I have a tattoo of a Picasso sketch of an owl somewhere that I won't say, but it was to commemorate a play that I did when I was in college. We were at a cast party, and everybody's like, "Oh yeah, we should get tattoos!" So I took it seriously and I got it, but nobody else did, so I'm the only with that tattoo.

Alex: You got hoodwinked into having a Picasso on your body.

Kristen: Yes, I did.

Alex: Somewhere. I ask not where.

Alex: Josh Hill is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. How did you prepare for your appearances as a Jeopardy! contestant?

Josh: Well, probably the most frequent preparation I did was watching old episodes of Jeopardy!. I would try to watch the show every day when I got home. I have DVR, luckily, save it on the DVR in the evening when I get off work. And I've also been watching old shows, looking at the Archive for questions, so--other game shows I won't name here.

Alex: Okay, good. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FAKE CLUES $1000: German for replacement gives us this word for a poor substitute

RAISIN D'ETRE $400: The Zante type of this "up-to-date" little fruit is actually a raisin

RAISIN D'ETRE $1000: Golden raisins are made from this seedless grape named for grower William; sulfur dioxide is used to prevent darkening

WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $800: Dong Xuan Market & the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long

WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $1000: King Rama IX Park

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kristen: $7,400
Josh: $3,600
Tom: $1,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FRENCH MASTERS (2/5)
IN SO MANY WORDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHYSICS (3/5)
PLAY BILL (5/5)
SENATORS WHO SOUGHT HIGHER OFFICE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"OVER" & "UNDER" (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Josh: 8 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Kristen: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josh snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Josh had $5,600, Kristen had $9,800, and Tom was at $7,400. Josh wagered $4,600.

IN SO MANY WORDS $800: 4 words:
Slogan used by De Beers since 1947

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Josh who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Josh had $10,200, Kristen had $9,800, and Tom was at $7,400. Josh wagered $2,400.

SENATORS WHO SOUGHT HIGHER OFFICE $1600: This Dem., falling short in 1980: "The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, & the dream shall never die"
(Alex: [Before Josh wagers] And we have less than a minute now, Josh.)
(Alex: Josh?)
(Josh: Who is Jesse Jackson?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"OVER" & "UNDER" $400: There's a piece of furniture in this phrase for something covert
(Tom: What is undercover?)

"OVER" & "UNDER" $800: You shall not steal my this, from Proto-Indo-European for "resound"

THE FRENCH MASTERS $1200: In his later years this Fauvist created a mural, "Dance II", for a Pennsylvania gallery
(Kristen: Who is Degas?)

THE FRENCH MASTERS $1600: This post-Impressionist's "Bathers" series, 1894-1905, inspired Picasso's "Women of Avignon"

THE FRENCH MASTERS $2000: This founder of French classical painting, like the work seen here, lived mostly in Rome, where he was Niccolo Possino

"OVER" & "UNDER" $2000: There are golden & black-bellied species of this shorebird

SENATORS WHO SOUGHT HIGHER OFFICE $800: 8 years after beating Birch Bayh to win a Senate seat repping this state, Dan Quayle got elected veep
(Josh: What is Massachusetts?)

PHYSICS $1200: When helium-4 is cooled below 2.17 K, it becomes a "super" this, able to comb walls & flow frictionlessly
(Josh: What is a superconductor?)

PHYSICS $1600: Some versions of this 6-letter theory said that space-time had exactly 10 dimensions

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Josh: $11,400
Kristen: $9,800
Tom: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC TERMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Josh: Wager $8,201 to cover Kristen.
Kristen: You ought to wager to cover Tom, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $9,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,000 (to shut out Tom) or less than $6,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Tom). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Josh.
Tom: You ought to try wagering between $401 and $6,200. This will top a $0 wager by Kristen while still beating Josh and Kristen on the Triple Stumper (should Josh wager to cover Kristen's doubled score and Kristen wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a link between oceans, the U.S. signed an 1859 treaty with Mexico giving us rights to this 2-syllable strip of land "of Tehuantepec"

FINAL SCORES
Tom: $9,400 - $9,400 = $0 (What is islet?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kristen: $9,800 + $9,001 = $18,801 (What is Isthmus?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Josh: $11,400 + $8,201 = $19,601 (What is an isthmus?) (7-day champion: $163,721)
(Alex: It's not the easiest word to spell correctly. We will not penalize you for misspelling.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tom: $10,400, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Josh: $10,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Kristen: $9,800, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Josh: 17/60 = .283
Kristen: 15/58 = .259
Tom: 14/59 = .237
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
RAISIN D'ETRE $800: Raisins are a must in this Italian holiday cake--it's from the Italian for "large bread"

AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION $200: This mystery author put out what would turn out to be the last in a series in 2017
I handed him a business card and said, "Kinsey Millhone. I'm a local private investigator"

WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $600: The Chopin monument seen here

AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION $400: More than 30 years after its publication, this dystopian novel read by Claire Danes is a bestseller
A shape, red with white wings around the face, a shape like mine, a nondescript woman in red carrying a basket

AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION $600: This love story is a heartbreaker
The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner

AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION $800: This book for kids has a lesson for everyone: choose kind
My name is August, by the way. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse

AUDIBLE RECENT FICTION $1000: Wil Wheaton reads this sci-fi novel set in the year 2045
This message had been embedded in the log-in sequence by James Halliday himself, when he'd first programmed the Oasis

IN SO MANY WORDS $400: 5 words:
Prepositional phrase that immediately follows "what so proudly we hailed"
(Josh: What is by the twilight's last gleaming?)

PHYSICS $2000: There are rates of this not just for electricity but for heat; copper is 15,000 times faster than air
(Josh: What is the speed of sound?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a hoax
ersatz
currant
Thompson grapes
Hanoi
Bangkok
a diamond is forever
Ted Kennedy
under the table
thunder
Matisse
Paul Cezanne
Nicolas Poussin
the plover
Indiana
a superfluid
string theory
isthmus
panettone
(Sue) Grafton
Warsaw
The Handmaid's Tale
The Fault in Our Stars
Wonder
Ready Player One
at the twilight's last gleaming
conductivity
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC TERMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a link between oceans, the U.S. signed an 1859 treaty with Mexico giving us rights to this 2-syllable strip of land “of Tehuantepec”

Josh Hill: 11400+8201=19601 (7x = $163,721)
Kristen Krikorian: 9800+9001=18801
Tom Campo: 9400-9400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
isthmus (Tom – islet)

Daily Doubles
Tom: 600-1000
Josh: 5600+4600
Josh: 10200-2400

Coryats
Josh: 10000
Kristen: 9800
Tom: 10400

Combined: 30,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 3600
Kristen: 7400
Tom: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex must have been read the riot act during the lunch break? Aw, did the poor writers get their feelings hurt that their precious TAKE THE CATEGORY IN ORDER bombed yesterday? Twice in the first segment Alex made comments about his not talking too much.

Josh seems to be good at capitals, but only if he knows the country. Dong & Rama set me up for two trash pickups at the bottom of the board.

Alex thought he was going to feel old with Tom’s story as a kid knowing the music at the end of J! was bedtime. Many of us get to feel old at Dan Quayle’s state being a TS.

600 separating top Coryat from low Coryat shows how close the game was with everyone having a shot going into the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue had me trying to simplify it to 5th grade level social studies definition of a strip of land between two oceans. Okay, I can do that and all that was left was the spelling. I worked it out although not without a false start requiring a rewrite.

Seven wins in regular play is not easy as Josh is only the 2nd person to do it this season. One more to sweep the week for Josh with the tank perhaps nearing empty with a pattern of declining Coryats from 21400 to 13800 to 10000.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was definitely thinking only in terms of proper nouns on FJ. There was no hope for me on that one.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Josh is starting to show signs of mental fatigue. Again he had to rally on a DD to win the game. His luck's going to run out eventually.

No idea on FJ!, but is anyone else getting tired of seeing geographic category themes? This is the third game in the last five shows geography has shown up in FJ!
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:34 pm Alex must have been read the riot act during the lunch break? Aw, did the poor writers get their feelings hurt that their precious TAKE THE CATEGORY IN ORDER bombed yesterday? Twice in the first segment Alex made comments about his not talking too much.
So that explains why he said he'd keep his comments to himself.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the "Fake" category. Also got "under the table".

Sue Grafton was an easy miss in the Audible category, but had no idea on the rest.

This has been Josh's closest game so far. I honestly thought "Five dollars" was a joke response, but it was enough to pull him ahead at the last second.

No guess on FJ! Nothing made any sense.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

To think that five dollars made all the difference today :D.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I might be wrong, but I thought I heard Tom say “A Handmaid’s Tale” when it should be “The Handmaid’s Tale”.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I thought Josh over-wagered on that last DD and should have bet the minimum. But he said "five dollars" when it really counted.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misread "two syllable" as "two word" and put Baja California.

Josh is a good player, but if "Massachusetts Politicians" is a category in the TOC, he'll be in trouble.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Wow, no one remembers Dan Quayle anymore... :shock:
Just STOP IT with the Handmaid's Tale already. :x
answered singularity for black hole. :ugeek:
FJ was WECIB. :|
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

If one was rooting for Josh, the last five-to-ten clues of DJ were excruciating...

I had to read the "two-syllable" part of the clue several times to make sure I wasn't reading "two-word." I wonder how the get rate on this clue would be different without that particular adjective? It's probably still gettable, at least for most of the people on this board.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm Wow, no one remembers Dan Quayle anymore... :shock:
Just STOP IT with the Handmaid's Tale already. :x
answered singularity for black hole. :ugeek:
FJ was WECIB. :|
Actually, it's spelled Quayl. Common mistake. :twisted:
I agree. Read The Handmaid's Tale once. It was a sour artless beating of a novel. :cry:
I went with singularity too, just to be a smart-arse. Not sure if they'd have accepted it. On the show I wouldn't have taken the chance. 8-)
If I'd figured out they just wanted the name for the geographical feature, I think I'd have gotten it. :(
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 pmIf I'd figured out they just wanted the name for the geographical feature, I think I'd have gotten it. :(
Seemed pretty clear (at least, to my mind) from the category that's what they wanted. --Bob
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:31 pm I might be wrong, but I thought I heard Tom say “A Handmaid’s Tale” when it should be “The Handmaid’s Tale”.
I hear "The" clearly, but it wouldn't matter anyway, since they disregard initial articles.
Once I realized the FJ really could be that simple (remembering the category!), I went for it. A relief in a tough week for me...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Previous uses of GEOGRAPHIC TERMS in the FJ! round wanted: landlocked, peninsula, altitude & latitude, and Latin America. Proper noun places are possible, but the pattern seems to more often indicate a generic term and not specific place.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 pm I misread "two syllable" as "two word" and put Baja California.
I also misread "two syllable" as "two word" and put Gadsden Purchase, all the while thinking "it should be isthmus but that's only one word"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I saw no way to figure this one out at all.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'd be interested in how many of us got hung up on looking for a proper noun on Final. I certainly did.