Thursday, May 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, May 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Thu May 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Is the Gadsden of Tehuantepec a thing? Probably not but that's the only cylinder that fired... *scribble*
Yeah...I deserved that miss.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck » Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Josh Hill was noticeably tired that game; the fatigue of playing multiple matches a day was clearly getting to him. Nevertheless, he once again showed the heart and will of a champion to maintain a narrow lead going into the FJ. Hope he rallies and finds a second wind for the show that will air tomorrow.

Very easy FJ; even as someone who is still weak at geography I got it instantly. Surprised it wasn't a 3/3.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 pm
Nevertheless, he once again showed the heart and will of a champion to maintain a narrow lead going into the FJ.
Eye of the Tiger.🐯

LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu May 24, 2018 11:16 pm

40 R
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Hoax), Current, Hanoi, Bangkok, Under the Table, Thunder, Henri Matisse, Paul Cezanne, Nicolaus Poussin, String Theory

Ran French Masters and redeemed myself from two days ago.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 pm

I'll admit on FJ the first few seconds I was wondering how we were supposed to know this seemingly obscure name, and then realized the category was "geographic terms" and isthmus hit me like a ton of bricks.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 pm
I'll admit on FJ the first few seconds I was wondering how we were supposed to know this seemingly obscure name, and then realized the category was "geographic terms" and isthmus hit me like a ton of bricks.
Oh! Now it almost seems obvious.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox » Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 am

Precalled isthmus as a potential term for FJ; may have also got it by remembering this from The Little Rascals :D

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Fri May 25, 2018 12:42 am

In the interview segment Josh gave an acknowledgement to the j-archive.

MattKnowles

Post by MattKnowles » Fri May 25, 2018 2:48 am

The 2-syllable territory ceded to the US by Mexico lead me to Gadsden and I never made it anywhere else.
DBear wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 pm
answered singularity for black hole. :ugeek:
That answer should be fine.
Leander wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:31 pm
I might be wrong, but I thought I heard Tom say “A Handmaid’s Tale” when it should be “The Handmaid’s Tale”.
They don't rule against using the wrong articles before the name of something unless it gives the name of another well known something. The classic example is "The Invisible Man" and "Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells and Ralph Ellison respectively. I was marked wrong on a TD for mixing up "Room" with Brie Larson and "The Room" with Tommy Wiseau.
harrumph wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:42 am
In the interview segment Josh gave an acknowledgement to the j-archive.
I think he said he prepared for his appearance by watching old episodes of Jeopardy!, by watching every day, by looking up clues on an archive, and by watching other trivia shows.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 am

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 pm
Oh! Now it almost seems obvious.
Yep. If I'd paid attention to the category, I think that would've done it for me. Instead, like others, I spent a lot of time trying to make the Gadsden Purchase somehow fit before giving up and flailing helplessly.

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:14 am

StevenH wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 pm
I was definitely thinking only in terms of proper nouns on FJ. There was no hope for me on that one.
This.

And the fact I somehow misread "two-syllable" as "two-word".

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 am

Coryat: 36,400
45 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: hoax (DD), ersatz, currant, Thompson seedless grapes, Hanoi, Bangkok, plover, Indiana, superfluid

RTFA. I kept trying to figure out how to get "isthmus" to work as part of a two-word response. It was only after the Think Music ended that I reread the clue and saw "two-syllable." I'd like to think that's a mistake I wouldn't make in-studio, but who knows.

If it's dong, it must be Vietnam.

Pavlov I couldn't pull, even though it came up on a trivia app within the past week: Fauvist = Matisse

No, Alex, I do not know him better as Nicola Pusen.

There was very little to go on on that 1980 senator DD. Knowing that Ted Kennedy made a primary challenge to Carter in 1980 is fair game, of course, but that's a toughie.

If this game proved anything, it's that TPTB can accommodate a slow game when they want to. There's no excuse for these games where 5+ clues get left on the board.
Sprinkles are for winners.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 am
If this game proved anything, it's that TPTB can accommodate a slow game when they want to. There's no excuse for these games where 5+ clues get left on the board.
I think you're wrong here. It's on the contestants, not on Alex.

Nothing takes more time on the show than a contestant giving an incorrect response. The timer, as it were, has to be reset to give opponents a chance to rebound, even more than a Triple Stumper.
Wednesday's J! round saw 7 negs and 6 Triple Stumpers. Obviously, that round has to be cut off at a certain point to ensure there's plenty of time for Double Jeopardy.
Thursday's J! Round saw 1 neg and 5 Triple Stumpers. That time saved can carry over to Double Jeopardy and makes up for the 7 negs and 9 Triple Stumpers today's Double Jeopardy round saw.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri May 25, 2018 8:07 am

Peachbox wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 am
Precalled isthmus as a potential term for FJ; may have also got it by remembering this from The Little Rascals :D
I got it, but not because I remember that line, which I use way too frequently.

Wpwells

Post by Wpwells » Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 am

Strip of land connecting two oceans = isthmus. That's two syllables. 4/4

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 am

bigblue999 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm
Josh is starting to show signs of mental fatigue. Again he had to rally on a DD to win the game. His luck's going to run out eventually.

No idea on FJ!, but is anyone else getting tired of seeing geographic category themes? This is the third game in the last five shows geography has shown up in FJ!
Yeah, poor baby had to break a sweat to top $19K for win #7. I should be so fatigued. I used to be able to fall out of bed and run 5-6 miles at an 8-minute pace. Now I can still fall out of bed. THAT'S fatigue.

As far as "Geography" is concerned: I'd love to see more of the "classic" material like that. geography. history, state capitals. There's a long list of really good categories, and I never tire of seeing them. I can't recall the last FJs to recall the 3-of-5 you're referring to. If so, yeah, that's an unusual focus on a small area. I for one would applaud seeing fewer categories like "band math." Or celebrity spouses. But this is J! and there's something for everyone eventually.

In the meantime, all hail Josh and his splendid run. He just reached the Top 20 all-time in regular-season money earned. Very impressive.

hscer

Post by hscer » Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 am

In FJ I was on Team Proper Noun until about 20-25 seconds. No idea if I'd have been able to write it in time on account of choking on the spelling.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene » Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 pm

FJ was an instaget, but kind of for the wrong reason(s).
This is what I read in my head (I'm a notorious skimmer which sometimes works in my favor):

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a link between oceans, the U.S ... this 2-syllable strip of land ...

To my husband I said, "Oh, Panama Canal, that's an ISTHMUS" done.

Husband, who read the clue in detail, said "NOT the Panama Canal, did you miss the reference to Mexico" and he also was looking for a proper noun like many of you.
However, as time ran out, he conceded that my "isthmus" answer was probably correct, and of course, it was :D

factotumjack
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by factotumjack » Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi all, but especially those that post their Coryat scores here often. I've built a program to analyze Coryat trends over time and to show the individual effect of different tournaments (at least on a given player). To test this, I've gone ahead and scraped about 1600 Coryat scores from users of this board.

I'd like to write and publish a blog post about this analyzer, with a few example results. However, even if I anonymize the names, there's a chance that someone could go back and find out who someone was on the board just from the data itself. For example, Archivists and BigDaddyMatty each have hundreds of Coryats posted, and they could probably pick themselves out just from the days played.

I can remove anyone from the dataset before I share it. I can also give you your own data before I share it.

This is an example to show the extent of the data I have:

JD (me), Day 18, 2017-02-07, 11800, Normal game
JD 22 2017-02-11 9600, Normal game
JD 23 2017-02-13 17000, College Championship

Is there anyone who would not be comfortable with having their part of this data, anonymized, made public?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I knew Ted Kennedy ran in 1980 because I am old enough to remember it happening. But it seems a bit tough for people who don’t.