LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman »

I got a win to open the season, 5(4)-2(1). Perfect defense to boot!!!

No clue on bleach, put down oxidized salt as a joke. No idea on the band, went with the Beach Boys even though I knew that was wrong.

Not a hockey fan, but I got Michigan Tech on a guess. I knew they have a hockey program but of course I had no idea where in the state they are located.

If he ever asks about the only southern NCAA hockey team, it is
Spoiler
The University of Alabama-Huntsville.
I didn't know how the Roundheads got their name, but I knew enough to get it right.

I knew Col. Sanders, although the entire campaign is a little creepy to me. Probably because I'm old enough to remember the ads that Sanders was in.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thorsten did not go for my attempt for a BWA with Trojan Man on Q6.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:36 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am I was born in the U.P., my uncle was a professor at Michigan Tech, and my grandparents used to live in Sault Ste. Marie, where Lake Superior State is located. So, yes, I got that question correct but still knew it was the obvious 3 point defense pick.

I put "chlorine" as in the generic name for the chemical(s) used to sanitize pools for Q1 and really thought it would be accepted. Still won my match, but that was a little annoying since Thorsten is usually quite lenient.

Not sure you can get away with that when chlorine is also the name of one of the elements in the formula.
That's true, but the word "chlorine" wasn't explicitly used in the clue, so seems like there's a possibility it could be accepted. It's hard to deny that "chlorine" is the common name used for pool chemicals, one of which is sodium hypochlorite. I have appealed to Thorsten so we'll see.
Since sodium hypochlorite solutions are sold as Clorox, would you accept that, too? Pools are treated with “chlorine” by the addition of sodium hypochlorite and muriatic acid (HCl). That combination produces hypochlorous acid which produces chlorine via the following equation: HOCll + HCl. —-> Cl2 + H2O. So, to me, sodium hypochlorite on its own isn’t chlorine, even as colloquially defined.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:28 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am I was born in the U.P., my uncle was a professor at Michigan Tech, and my grandparents used to live in Sault Ste. Marie, where Lake Superior State is located. So, yes, I got that question correct but still knew it was the obvious 3 point defense pick.

I put "chlorine" as in the generic name for the chemical(s) used to sanitize pools for Q1 and really thought it would be accepted. Still won my match, but that was a little annoying since Thorsten is usually quite lenient.

Not sure you can get away with that when chlorine is also the name of one of the elements in the formula.
That's true, but the word "chlorine" wasn't explicitly used in the clue, so seems like there's a possibility it could be accepted. It's hard to deny that "chlorine" is the common name used for pool chemicals, one of which is sodium hypochlorite. I have appealed to Thorsten so we'll see.
Since sodium hypochlorite solutions are sold as Clorox, would you accept that, too? Pools are treated with “chlorine” by the addition of sodium hypochlorite and muriatic acid (HCl). That combination produces hypochlorous acid which produces chlorine via the following equation: HOCll + HCl. —-> Cl2 + H2O. So, to me, sodium hypochlorite on its own isn’t chlorine, even as colloquially defined.
I saw somewhere that Clorox was accepted.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

I inexplicably won my first match. I was matched up against the guy who has won my rundle every single season since I was promoted to rundle A and he answered more questions correctly than I did. This may be the second time in my LearnedLeague career where I've laughed at the defensive assignment because he had me so wrong. I was a chemistry major and was assigned 3 on the bleach question. While I can manage questions about baseball and football just fine, hockey is a black hole of knowledge for me, and the hockey question got a 0. (The other time I laughed at my defensive assignment was during my rookie season when my opponent put 3 points on a question about Andrew Lloyd Webber.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:28 pm

I think you're being too technical. If you go to a pool store and ask for chlorine, odds are they'll give you sodium hypochlorite.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I played the MD1 questions when I woke up in the morning, instead of right before bed. I started doing that last season, and I really think it worked for me. I still stay up entirely too late to see the previous day's result though.

MD 1 was the first time I've ever come across an answer to a question during my regular day. I was checking out a patient's file at the hospital, and listed in her allergies was "sodium hypochlorite (bleach)". I'm glad I had answered the Qs already! Looking and then thinking for a long time is not my bag. 20 min or a half hour is about all I can take, and then I have to know what I've missed!
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

I'm playing in C Taiga division 2 after just missing out on promotion to B from my rookie rundle (messed up on my wagers on the final day and landed in third place off the MPD tie-breaker).

This first match day gave me fits and I thankfully escaped with a win with some unexpected wagering from my opponent. I only got Van Halen (not a fan at all but I am a big fan of Orbison and the Kinks and those ridiculous covers still trigger my gag reflex) and the Col. Sanders question but was rewarded with 2 and 3(!) points, respectively. My opponent got bleach and Sanders which I marked 1 and 0, respectively.
Guessed saline for bleach.
Go, Dog. Go! seemed totally unfamiliar from both the description and title but looking it up I do recognize the book cover and I did own a copy of Are You My Mother? as a kid.
"Roundhead" is a term I've come across many times in the past but was not coming to me yesterday and, based on the description in the question, I settled for "suedehead" which was a term for an off-shoot from the non-racist skinhead movement in the UK in the early 70s and also the name of a totally unrelated Morrissey song.
The UP colleges question is a particularly frustrating miss as I lived in various Michigan cities (all lower peninsula, though) from the age of 12 until I was 27 and I now recall my sister received basketball recruiting letters from both of these universities (rather optimistically since she was being recruited by several Big Ten schools and signed with Michigan State). Every Michigan college I could think of I knew definitively was in the mitten and the best I could come up with was a Hail Mary of Sault St. Marie University, which I figured had to be the location of one of them and bore out with Lake Superior State.
Last edited by Bartleby on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would prefer not to.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

jjwaymee wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:43 am cmp146, I love you so much for giving me a free point on the topic of universities in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. :D
You are welcome. I had a good deal of ribbing from dear Boson for that one.

In my defense, it was a very long day, and I had just finished a rather technologically challenging online review session (juggling Adobe Connect, an Excel worksheet, and enzyme kinetics). I only looked at your category % rates in player data when assigning points. Even worse, the only Michigan universities I could name at the time were in the "mitten" so had I looked at your alma mater, I would have had another correct option. <sigh> At least I got a win in A Magnolia!
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

Well, this has definitely been exciting so far! After my first day in R Magnolia, I was afraid I’d go this whole season without winning—I was only able to get Go, Dog, Go, while overall losing 1(1)-5(3). Although, in my defense, I gave three points to the hockey question, and my opponent was one of only two in our rundle to know that one

I guess I’m relatively good at this defense thing because I was able to pull out a 3(2)-2(3) win yesterday, knowing Christmas Island and somehow pulling Some Like it Hot out of my you-know-where. I’ve never seen this movie before, and couldn’t have even told you what it was about, but something in my said to guess it. Second day in a row though that I miss the easiest question. It’s really funny how these things work!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

sillymoose wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 am Well, this has definitely been exciting so far! After my first day in R Magnolia, I was afraid I’d go this whole season without winning—I was only able to get Go, Dog, Go, while overall losing 1(1)-5(3). Although, in my defense, I gave three points to the hockey question, and my opponent was one of only two in our rundle to know that one

I guess I’m relatively good at this defense thing because I was able to pull out a 3(2)-2(3) win yesterday, knowing Christmas Island and somehow pulling Some Like it Hot out of my you-know-where. I’ve never seen this movie before, and couldn’t have even told you what it was about, but something in my said to guess it. Second day in a row though that I miss the easiest question. It’s really funny how these things work!
Defense is a crapshoot in a rookie rundle, especially the first day. It appears you were facing a female from New York in your first game. With nothing else to go on, I'd have given three points on the hockey question as well. Yes, there are a lot of female sports fans and men who don't like sports. But overall, a man is more likely to know sports than a woman. I would have lowered the assignment if the person was from Michigan.

I managed a 3(2)-2(2) win yesterday. I got jumbo for two points and the movie for one. I've never seen it either, but I have a vague idea of what it is about. I knew Marilyn Monroe was in it, so that meant it would have been late 1950s/early '60s. I knew it was about two guys dressed up like women to hide from the mob. So that fits in with the question saying one was person was playing someone playing someone else.

I almost got the dancer, but thought his last name was Flatterly.

I managed a
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I tied 5(3)-5(3) yesterday. I thought that I could take advantage of knowing questions in my worst and third worst categories--Current Events and Film, respectively--but my opponent knew that the former would be easy and gave me a 1. And of course they knew the Theatre question when it was their worst category and I assigned a 3.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I took the loss against a six-pack yesterday, but I was pleased to come up with Christmas Island. I was going to put Tasmania, but I was almost certain that Tasmania was an official state of Australia and not a territory. Finally the word "December" in the clue wording jumped out at me and I remembered Christmas Island.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I lost 2(2)-3(2). Last season I won all my games in which I tied in correct answers. I hope this isn't a sign for the rest of the season.

You'd think by now I would be able to tease out all the hints that Thorsten puts in the clues. I knew the Christmas Island clue wasn't Tasmania, but once I submitted and got to see the correct answer then I did a facepalm and the December in the clue jumped out at me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

clprez wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:21 pm You'd think by now I would be able to tease out all the hints that Thorsten puts in the clues. I knew the Christmas Island clue wasn't Tasmania, but once I submitted and got to see the correct answer then I did a facepalm and the December in the clue jumped out at me.
He's a masterful quiz writer.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:38 am I took the loss against a six-pack yesterday, but I was pleased to come up with Christmas Island. I was going to put Tasmania, but I was almost certain that Tasmania was an official state of Australia and not a territory. Finally the word "December" in the clue wording jumped out at me and I remembered Christmas Island.
Unfortunately, "December" didn't jump out at me. Or, to be more precise, I didn't read the question carefully enough and hastily answered "Norfolk Island". Thorsten put "December" in that clue for a reason.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:42 pm
clprez wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:21 pm You'd think by now I would be able to tease out all the hints that Thorsten puts in the clues. I knew the Christmas Island clue wasn't Tasmania, but once I submitted and got to see the correct answer then I did a facepalm and the December in the clue jumped out at me.
He's a masterful quiz writer.

Indeed he is. We might see one real clunker a season that causes a riot, sometimes not even that. Better percentage than FJs.

I missed the December hint and said Tasmania. I also got the dancer’s name wrong and said Flatterly. Lucky to manage a win.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD2 Recap
Opponent: StaloffM
Result: T 9(6) - 9(6) ;)
Record: 1-0-1
Rundle Rank: 8

Question 1: A Bantu dialect term for "okra" and a Choctaw word for "filé" are possible (and appropriate) origins for the name of what dish?
Thought Process: I cooked this dish recently! I added both the okra and the file. Instaget.
Answer: Gumbo
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: He's pretty decent at Food/Drink, and I feel like this is as straightforward as F/D questions go, so that's a 1.
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 2: What Chicagoan dance lord became, in 1975, the first American to secure a title at the Oireachtas Rince na Cruinne (Irish Dancing World Championships)?
Thought Process: So I first saw Chicago and dance and typed in Fosse, but then I realized that the dance in question was Irish, and then I noticed "dance lord", so I typed in the answer and began humming the hymn "Lord of the Dance" that's sung to the same tune as "Simple Gifts".
Answer: Flatley
Defense: This just simply seemed like something most A Rundlers would know, so I went with a 1.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 3: In early May 2018, what company, with its parent company SCL Group, ceased operations, following a scandal relating to its acquisition and use of personal data about Facebook users?
Thought Process: I pre-called a question about this company before the season. Easy peasy.
Answer: Cambridge Analytica
Defense: Pretty sure most people heard about this. Easy 0.
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 4: What island and external federal territory of Australia was visited, and named, by English sea captain William Mynors in December 1643?
Thought Process: Okay, Australian island. Tasmania? Probably not. What other Australian islands are there? Maybe Christmas Island... *parses question again and catches the December hint* YES! It was so named because it was discovered on Christmas! BOOM! There we go.
Answer: Christmas Island
Confidence Level: 95%
Defense: Well he's solid in Geography, but this is a tougher Geography question, so maybe he'll miss it? I've already used the lower point values, so I guess he gets a 2,
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 5: An agricultural device gives its name to what term for a U-shaped bend in a river? The term is also used for a lake formed when a river bend becomes so sharp that the river cuts through the narrow neck of land in the middle.
Thought Process: YES! I remember my dad drilling this into my head when we saw Lake Chicot - he told me that's the largest oxbow lake in North America!
Answer: Oxbow
Defense: Again, I don't love it, but the last one is the obvious 3, so this gets a 2.

Question 6: "Not Tonight Josephine"—purportedly (but likely not) once uttered by Napoleon to Empress Joséphine one evening—was the working title of what 1959 comedy film, in reference to a character portrayed by a character portrayed by one of the movie's main actors?
Thought Process: So, I don't know this one. For some reason "Some Like It Hot" is tickling the back of my headbone, but I literally have no idea why. However, since Film is such a bad category for me, I guess that's what I'm going with.
Answer: Some Like It Hot
Confidence Level: 40%
Defense: Of the questions, this is the toughest, and film is also not a great category for him. Obvious 3.
Result: :mrgreen: (+3)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+3)
Last edited by Wpwells on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thank you for posting these. I find reading others' thought processes fascinating.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD3 Recap
Opponent: FryedBetaKappa
Result: T 6(4) - 6(5) ;)
Record: 1-0-2
Rundle Rank: 5

Question 1: New York Times culture reporter Dave Itzkoff's current nonfiction best seller details the life and career of what late actor and comedian?
Thought Process: I'm glad I've been checking the NYT Bestseller list recently! That combined with the clue "late actor and comedian" gave me this one.
Answer: Williams
Confidence Level: 85%
Defense: Man, he's just good at everything. I see three obvious ones that he's more likely to get, so I guess the 2 goes here.
Result: :mrgreen: (+3)

Question 2: Of the seven countries on the Central American isthmus between Mexico and Colombia, all but two have coasts on both the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Name both of the countries that have just one coastline.
Thought Process: Straight geography. Easy enough!
Answer: Belize, El Salvador
Defense: He's very solid at Geography. This would normally be my 0, but since there's another one that could just as easily be a 0, since this one requires two answers I'll give it a 1

Question 3: What is the term, derived from the Italian for "smoke" and associated with da Vinci, Giogione, and Correggio, that is used in painting to describe the gradual, soft transition from one tone or hue to another?
Thought Process: Oh man, I don't know and I'm not getting close to knowing. I might have heard this term at one point, but my time ran out without me getting anything in the blank.
Answer: [blank]
Confidence Level: 0%
Defense: Tough art, and he's not great with art. I've found my 3
Result: :( (+0)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 4: Nineteenth-century French surgeon and anthropologist Pierre Paul Broca is the namesake for a specific area in what organ in humans?
Thought Process: STUPID STUPID STUPID WHY DID I PICK THE WRONG ORGAN?!
Answer: Heart
Confidence Level: 50%
Defense: Well, since I've already decided on my 0s and 1s, this one is a 2.
Result: :( (+0)

Question 5: Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev used what Russian term for "openness" to name a policy introduced in 1986 that relaxed repression on human rights and increased governmental transparency?
Thought Process: Yay! I'm so glad I studied the difference between these Russian terms when I was into the spelling bee growing up!
Answer: Glasnost
Confidence Level: 90%
Defense: World History is his best. Here's our 0
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 6: The trade name for a once-popular videotape cassette recorder standard that was introduced in the mid-1970s by JVC/Matsushita is widely known by a three-letter acronym. What do the three letters in that acronym stand for?
Thought Process: I'm not confident in this one, but a videotape cassette leads me to a VHS. I know what those letters stand for.
Answer: Video Home System
Confidence Level: 75%
Defense: I've played against him enough to know this is something he would know. Here's a 1
Last edited by Wpwells on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.