LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 am Well, I backed into a correct answer on PIANOS - I couldn't come up with any category of product that made sense, figured it's not food because we already have that NEUFCHATEL question. Thought, hmmm, maybe it's a musical instrument - what's the missing manufacturer in this list? Of course, I started down the path that this has to begin with a "B" - before landing on piano as a WAG

I spent so much time scratching my head on that one, that I ended up backing out of SINBAD and going with Ali Baba, who was apparently not at all wealthy. Not familiar with Sinbad's exploits but sea-->sailor-->Sinbad should have been enough. Gave up the tie and lost 7(4)-9(6) to Elendilpickle
You played well, my young apprentice.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I think I vaguely knew Weber as a maker of musical instruments from my time playing baritone horn in junior high, but since we didn't have piano, maybe not and it was a lucky guess. I was annoyed at only tying despite outanswering, because why on earth should my opponent have threed me on Neufchatel? It's right there in the dairy section, for chrissakes, and I've probably even bought it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

At first, Baldwin was the only name I recognized, and I was scared that there could have been another Baldwin company that made something other than pianos, and the names I didn't recognize were hiding something from me. But then I noticed I'd overlooked Bösendorfer and I didn't have to worry anymore. (Tori Amos exclusively records and tours with Bösendorfers, and they make 92- and 97-key models as well as the standard 88-key.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For the Wednesday match, I recognized that the symbol on the bottom right of the image in the album covers question was two F's, and I thought of Franz Ferdinand and didn't think anymore. Whoops!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Tied 0(1)- 0(1) yesterday, getting only the sports question. I'm mad that I talked myself out of silica, thinking that wasn't a common enough term, even though I was sure that quartz is the crystal form of silica. Also, I'm not one to study album covers but one I do know is the Sublime album which shows a guy's back with Sublime tattooed across it, so I went with that even though I noticed the lower right one with 2 F's and did think, is it Foo Fighters? Guess I'll take the tie since I had no chance on the other 3 except I thought maybe Siam was the Cambodia one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Tough tie for me yesterday 6(4)-6(3). My opponent missed Kampuchea despite a lifetime .913 get rate in world history and .895 in geography! I can only assume he misread the question. My defense has been awful so far this season.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD10 Recap
Opponent: RaffaelliJ
Result: L 4(4) - 5(4) :(
Record: 6-1-3
Rundle Rank: 2

Question 1: A lunatic hypnotist, his carnival somnambulist, and various asylum inmates (who may not be what they appear) are central to the plot of what 1920 horror film and classic of German Expressionism?
Thought Process: Nope, no, nothing, ugh. Don't know this one. I'll just put the most ridiculous guess ever.
Answer: Scream
Confidence Level: 0%
Defense: He's pretty solid at film. I'll go with a 1 here.
Result: :( (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+1)

Question 2: From 1975 until 1979, while under the control of the Khmer Rouge, the present-day nation of Cambodia was known by what name?
Thought Process: Former country names are something I'm really good at. This one is definitely within the Rolodex.
Answer: Kampuchea
Confidence Level: 100%
Defense: World History seems to be a struggle for him. I'll put the 3 here.
Result: :mrgreen: (+1)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 3: Devin Booker, TJ Warren, and Josh Jackson were leading scorers for what NBA team during the 2017-2018 season?
Thought Process: I'm not great at NBA, but I do know what team Booker plays for...
Answer: Suns
Defense: Games/Sport is low for him. I'll put a 2 here.
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+2)

Question 4: Quartz, tridymite, cristobalite, coesite, and stishovite are the five crystalline forms, and opal an amorphous form, of a chemical compound best known by what single word?
Thought Process: Okay, quartz is a silica. That one is pretty straightforward.
Answer: Silica
Defense: He's GREAT at science, so here's our 0!
Result: :mrgreen: (+0)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 5: U.S. Army airmen seeking to be excused from WWII bombing missions due to mental derangement, but judged ineligible as the sanity of such a request proves their fitness, are central to the plot of what novel?
Thought Process: Hmmm I definitely know this book. I've read it!
Answer: Catch-22
Defense: Surely he knows this one. I'll go with a 1 here.
Result: :mrgreen: (+2)
Opponent Result: :( (+0)

Question 6: The images in this montage, all with slight edits, are taken from album covers by what musical group?
Thought Process: Okay, it's going to be some sort of grungy type band, though not Nirvana. I don't know them, but I'll go with a guess...
Answer: Green Day
Confidence Level: 25%
Defense: We're left with a 2, and I like that since people tend to struggle with picture questions, and he doesn't blow pop music out of the water.
Last edited by Wpwells on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
clprez

Post by clprez »

World history is one of my weakest categories, so I was really pleased to get 3 points for my educated guess of Kampuchea. I remembered that there was an album released of the Concert for Kampuchea, and back in the day I looked it up on a map because I had never heard of it before.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

clprez wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm World history is one of my weakest categories, so I was really pleased to get 3 points for my educated guess of Kampuchea. I remembered that there was an album released of the Concert for Kampuchea, and back in the day I looked it up on a map because I had never heard of it before.
All I could come up with was Campeche. Knew it wasn’t right, so I tried for BWA with Unpleasantville - no dice!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Speaking of BWA...has Thorsten even announced any candidates this season? Is this something he is discontinuing or just putting on backburner due to other league issues that have come up?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Was able to secure a tie yesterday thanks to Kampuchea. Thanks, Yakko's World!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Finally, a day that felt on the easy side for me, with a 6(4)-3(2) win. I have to say though that I feel dumb about Petrograd; that is usually a good category for me, but I had no idea on it and it had a get rate that is over 50%!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:11 am Finally, a day that felt on the easy side for me, with a 6(4)-3(2) win. I have to say though that I feel dumb about Petrograd; that is usually a good category for me, but I had no idea on it and it had a get rate that is over 50%!
Apparently Pyotrgrad counted for that one. I'd win without it so I'm on the fence there... :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

MD11 Recap
Opponent: WeimannP
Result: L 6(4) - 9(6) :(
Record: 6-2-3
Rundle Rank: 3

Question 1: From April 1983 to July 1985, a tennis duo—who won 20 career doubles Grand Slam titles together—went on a record-setting streak of 109 matches without a defeat. Name either of these women, both members of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Thought Process: Cool. I know Navritalova was dominant in doubles, so I'll just put her. Now who was her partner....SHRIVER that's it. That was fun
Answer: Navratilova
Confidence Level: 90%
Defense: He's really strong in Games/Sport. I'll go with a 1 here

Question 2: What is the last name of the fictional persona invented by Washington Irving in 1809 to narrate his satirical A History of New York? This name became a term for Dutch-Americans residing in New York (and later, for any New Yorker).
Thought Process: This was a question on Trivial Warfare this past weekend. I got it there after some thought, but that made it an instaget this time.
Answer: Knickerbocker
Defense: This is pretty straightforward and even has a Games/Sport bent, so I'll go with another 1.

Question 3: What "Russian-ized" version of the current name of Russia's second-largest city was that city's official name from September 1914 to January 1924?
Thought Process: So that's St. Petersburg which I know was Leningrad. Easy peasy. Begins humming "A Rumor in St. Petersburg"
Answer: Leningrad (UGH)
Confidence Level: 99%
Defense: This is a pretty easy one. I'll give him the 0.
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+0)

Question 4: Name the singer, actress, and "Goddess of Pop" who starred in the 1969 film Chastity and co-hosted a variety show on CBS beginning in 1971 before hosting a show of her own (after separating from her co-host) in 1975, all during a recording career that now spans six decades.
Thought Process: There's only one artist about whom I've heard questions about being active for 6 decades. I'll go with her.
Answer: Cher
Confidence Level: 80%
Defense: Well, after assigning all the others, I was left with a 2 for this one and #5.

Question 5: The Hegira is the name for Muhammad's secret departure from Mecca in 622, with Abu Bakr, to live among the people of Yathrib, founding the first Muslim community. The city of Yathrib was later renamed what?
Thought Process: This boiled down to "what's the other holy city in Islam?" to me
Answer: Medina
Defense: Well, after assigning all the others, I was left with a 2 for this one and #4.

Question 6: What English word, derogatory (and arguably offensive) in modern usage, comes from the name for a secretive gang of murderers and robbers devoted to the Hindu god Kali? The term has been embraced by hip-hop artists such as Tupac Shakur, who formed a group whose name included the word and also had it tattooed on the right side of his abdomen. (Note, the word in question does not begin with the letter "N".)
Thought Process: I thought for a minute but couldn't come up with anything. That was rough and obvious in hindsight.
Answer: [blank]
Confidence Level: 0%
Defense: I'll put a 3 here. This was tough (or so I thought)
Opponent Result: :mrgreen: (+3)
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 am
Thought Process: So that's St. Petersburg which I know was Leningrad. Easy peasy. Begins humming "A Rumor in St. Petersburg"
My thoughts exactly....then I saw the answers and thought, is St. Petersburg not the second largest city in Russia? I'd never heard of Petrograd or the history behind the name change and then subsequent change to Leningrad. Didn't matter as I won 7(4)- 1(2) getting Navratilova (thought she played with Billie Jean King, never would've guessed Shriver although I know she was a great player), knickerbocker on a complete WAG based on the Knicks, Cher, and thug after a lot of thought until the term thug life popped in my head and I remembered the tattoo.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 am Question 1: From April 1983 to July 1985, a tennis duo—who won 20 career doubles Grand Slam titles together—went on a record-setting streak of 109 matches without a defeat. Name either of these women, both members of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Thought Process: Cool. I know Navritalova was dominant in doubles, so I'll just put her. Now who was her partner....SHRIVER that's it. That was fun
When I saw the dates the first two names that popped into my head were Navratilova and Evert. Rereading the question it became clear the "duo" meant a doubles team. I couldn't remember who Martina's doubles partner was, but felt pretty confident that she was a more dominant doubles player than Chris Evert. Glad I didn't need to come up with Pam Shriver, too. I remember her, but I don't think I'd have been able to pull her name.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 am
Wpwells wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 am Question 1: From April 1983 to July 1985, a tennis duo—who won 20 career doubles Grand Slam titles together—went on a record-setting streak of 109 matches without a defeat. Name either of these women, both members of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
When I saw the dates the first two names that popped into my head were Navratilova and Evert. Rereading the question it became clear the "duo" meant a doubles team. I couldn't remember who Martina's doubles partner was, but felt pretty confident that she was a more dominant doubles player than Chris Evert. Glad I didn't need to come up with Pam Shriver, too. I remember her, but I don't think I'd have been able to pull her name.
I went with Everet but figured it was Navratilova. This type of un-reasoning happens with alarming frequency

Anyway, I got my ass kicked in both matches and the downward spiral continues with 5 consecutive losses :oops:

My only comfort is getting a good % of the questions that score below 30% League wide, and really in the end the results don't matter, right?
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

"Thug" was easier if you remember Temple of Doom - the Thuggee cult and their worship of Kali was prominent in that film.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am "Thug" was easier if you remember Temple of Doom - the Thuggee cult and their worship of Kali was prominent in that film.
There's a poll on the LL forum asking how everyone got this one. It was all Tupac's "Thug Life" for me.