LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am
teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am "Thug" was easier if you remember Temple of Doom - the Thuggee cult and their worship of Kali was prominent in that film.
There's a poll on the LL forum asking how everyone got this one. It was all Tupac's "Thug Life" for me.
I went as far as writing down possible answers including cabal, assassin, Gurkha, gangsta, etc. but when I thought of thug it fit in several ways.

Wpwells: I understand you want to have a two-minute self-imposed deadline, but I don't think the questions are designed for that. The questions from the LL championships are meant to have less mulling and more know-it-or-you-don't. This is one that I sat on for hours mulling over.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:15 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am "Thug" was easier if you remember Temple of Doom - the Thuggee cult and their worship of Kali was prominent in that film.
There's a poll on the LL forum asking how everyone got this one. It was all Tupac's "Thug Life" for me.
I went as far as writing down possible answers including cabal, assassin, Gurkha, gangsta, etc. but when I thought of thug it fit in several ways.

Wpwells: I understand you want to have a two-minute self-imposed deadline, but I don't think the questions are designed for that. The questions from the LL championships are meant to have less mulling and more know-it-or-you-don't. This is one that I sat on for hours mulling over.
It's also for Geek Bowl practice. My teammates and I were in a lot of trouble last year when we realized just how short that time really is.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm Rundle in the Jundle has also become a very competitive place. Teapot has his accustomed spot atop the standings, but I'm trying to claw my way up (tough going, though)
This is why I spent several hours mulling the "thug" question. I was pretty sure I needed to get them all right to tie you - and I was right...
Good match!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm Rundle in the Jundle has also become a very competitive place. Teapot has his accustomed spot atop the standings, but I'm trying to claw my way up (tough going, though)
This is why I spent several hours mulling the "thug" question. I was pretty sure I needed to get them all right to tie you - and I was right...
Good match!
You as well!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 pm
boson wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:15 pm

It's also for Geek Bowl practice. My teammates and I were in a lot of trouble last year when we realized just how short that time really is.
I mean, you can practice by writing down your 2 minute answers and then going back later and submitting real answers. Then you can see what the differences are while getting the same practice.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I didn't choose based on "Thug Life." Thug life chose me.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Hi all! I know I shouldn’t have waited until the last minute but I’m going on a cruise tomorrow & I was hoping to play my matches tonight because I don’t think I’ll have good(or any!) WiFi on the ship. Do I just email TI or is there a different way to get the quizzes early? I did this about 9 months ago but I can’t actually remember the procedure...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 pm Hi all! I know I shouldn’t have waited until the last minute but I’m going on a cruise tomorrow & I was hoping to play my matches tonight because I don’t think I’ll have good(or any!) WiFi on the ship. Do I just email TI or is there a different way to get the quizzes early? I did this about 9 months ago but I can’t actually remember the procedure...
Click on Thorsten’s Desk on the front page and then go to Advance Access.

Enjoy your trip!!!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 am

When I saw the dates the first two names that popped into my head were Navratilova and Evert. Rereading the question it became clear the "duo" meant a doubles team. I couldn't remember who Martina's doubles partner was, but felt pretty confident that she was a more dominant doubles player than Chris Evert. Glad I didn't need to come up with Pam Shriver, too. I remember her, but I don't think I'd have been able to pull her name.
Maybe I'm too impressed with myself, but I think I'd have got it if we were asked to name both. For just one, Navratilova seemed too obvious and for some reason I thought Novotna and Fernandez were a notable doubles team, which they were, sort of, but not so much and not till later. Also, there were two Fernandezes around then and it was always difficult to keep them straight, but maybe that was another reason to ask for only one name.

Anyway, when I learned afterward that Jana Novotna actually died a few months ago, I felt a bit better (about my answer, not overall). My learnedleague miss was my tribute to her career.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Crap crap crap crap CRAP! My sad tale ... I finally gave up on monotremes after pondering it all day (and, believe it or not, Roots, which finally struck me), put my points in, and was ready to submit. As I'm trying to figure it out, I suddenly remember monotremes (like out of nowhere; I probably haven't heard or thought of the word in 40 or more years), so I go to type it in, but my finger accidentally hit the Enter key and I submitted. I never check the submit box until I'm sure, and happened to do so tonight because I thought I was done but for a BWA submission for it. Got the other 5 right, but all for naught. Lost both matches.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It took until my 337th career match day, but I finally drank my first beer. Roots was an educated guess and the wording of the Figaro clue threw me a little bit at first, but I kept telling myself that I was pretty sure that that was the opera that Count Almaviva was from. I was 100% sure on the other four.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 am It took until my 337th career match day, but I finally drank my first beer. Roots was an educated guess and the wording of the Figaro clue threw me a little bit at first, but I kept telling myself that I was pretty sure that that was the opera that Count Almaviva was from. I was 100% sure on the other four.
Congrats! There's a thread on the LL board from some one who did the same with a slightly longer wait. Hope you got the win and not the dreaded 9(6)-9(5) tie.

I got Figaro but it was very close to a miss. I'm slowly getting better at classical music, but moss things I learn are due to missing the question at least once.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

boson wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 am
StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 am It took until my 337th career match day, but I finally drank my first beer. Roots was an educated guess and the wording of the Figaro clue threw me a little bit at first, but I kept telling myself that I was pretty sure that that was the opera that Count Almaviva was from. I was 100% sure on the other four.
Congrats! There's a thread on the LL board from some one who did the same with a slightly longer wait. Hope you got the win and not the dreaded 9(6)-9(5) tie.

I got Figaro but it was very close to a miss. I'm slowly getting better at classical music, but moss things I learn are due to missing the question at least once.

Yeah, I played perfect D as a nice bonus to earn the 9(6)-2(3) win.

And thanks!
clprez

Post by clprez »

I was bummed about monotremes. Within the last few months I watched a video on youtube that talked about the three types of mammals, but I just couldn't pull it. I kept trying to get "ovo" to fit in there somehow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

boson wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 am

I have this Final Jeopardy to thank for knowing that one. FJs are very handy for LL prep; they have the same "tease it out" factor.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ght=figaro
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Consolations to alietr on "monotremes." For me, Roots was the one that took the most time, though I answered everything after first opening the set of questions. I was out of the country in 1976.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:49 pm
I have this Final Jeopardy to thank for knowing that one. FJs are very handy for LL prep; they have the same "tease it out" factor.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ght=figaro
I got it from Final Jeopardy as well, but a different one: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5872&

I'm very frustrated by this match. My opponent and I both got 5 right. My opponent correctly gave me 3 for monotreme, and that's what I assigned 3 as well, but I should have done so for the Roots question.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I’ll be posting a lot of recaps on Friday when I get back into town from the College World Series!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

If I had remembered that the Nile is the only major river to flow south to north, I would have won yesterday. As it was, I waffled between the Caspian Sea and the Arctic Ocean and chose wrong.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

My opponent yesterday played smart defense, knowing to give me a 2 in my best category (math) and a 1 on the film question (my third worst category).

I also stupidly put streptococcus for coccus, which cost me 3 points and a chance for a tie.