LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had some Slumdog-good fortune in the MSC. I'm the right age to have known Rockefeller. I had a mathematical co-author from Kolkata, and thinking about Kolkata/Calcutta motivated me to look up some of the other name changes of Indian cities. Knew Marty from Quiz Show and didn't money it because I thought others would know it for the same reason. I read A Tale of Two Cities in eleventh grade; at that time, and in my particular headspace at the time, the character of Sydney Carton made a deep impression on me. Got arpeggio because I know what it is--had never noticed the connection to the word "harp" before, but it makes sense. Got Archimedes just because. Just six correct, but no wrong answers I was tempted to money--enough for top 20% and second in C Commonwealth.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

Drank my first ever beer yesterday after 94 matches! Knew Ed Sheeran (thanks two tween daughters!), Copenhagen (thanks to multiple Sweden projects over the years in school and my favorite ever Top Gear), Geranium from the photo, Street Fighter (finally a video game I've played, although I always played Guile). Shogun was really all I could think of, but wasn't very confident as I remember from the Edo question in the last couple seasons that Shogun didn't mean what I thought it did. For Navarone, that was a total WAG as I didn't think it was terribly Greek sounding but it was the only movie I could think of that had cannon or gun or something similar in the title. Frankly, I thought Guns of Navarone was a western....
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm and my favorite ever Top Gear)
It's not my favorite ever (that's the public transportation race), but that's how I got it, too!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I would have won 7(5)-4(4), but I had a weird Bible/movie mashup moment and typed Nazarone. Thankfully, we tied 4(4)-4(4).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:55 am I would have won 7(5)-4(4), but I had a weird Bible/movie mashup moment and typed Nazarone. Thankfully, we tied 4(4)-4(4).
Never heard of that film! I thought British intelligence pointed to James Bond, so I went with The Island of Dr. No

But seriously, only 34% knew The Leatherstocking Tales?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am
Same. It hasn't shown up on Jeopardy in a little while, but when it did, it was frequent: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:55 am I would have won 7(5)-4(4), but I had a weird Bible/movie mashup moment and typed Nazarone. Thankfully, we tied 4(4)-4(4).
Never heard of that film! I thought British intelligence pointed to James Bond, so I went with The Island of Dr. No

I got Navarone (though I misspelled it with two r's)--it was either that or I had no idea (sort of like Rosetta).

I might have missed the Leatherstocking Tales if I had not gone to a conference in 2015 in Saratoga Springs, NY with a side trip to Cooperstown. I stayed at the Mohican Motel. Being old and having done stuff can be helpful for answering trivia questions, at least until you forget it all.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, that surprised me, too. It seems like a fairly basic trivia chestnut about James Fenimore Cooper. As usual, it just shows how little I understand about the knowledge bases of my fellow LLamas.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:43 am

Yeah, that surprised me, too. It seems like a fairly basic trivia chestnut about James Fenimore Cooper. As usual, it just shows how little I understand about the knowledge bases of my fellow LLamas.
I has a Sherlockian brainfart, and put Deerstalking. I didn't look right when I submitter. Cost me 0 points.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I really did not like the way the Monopoly question was written.
Woof

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:28 am I really did not like the way the Monopoly question was written.
What was your issue with it? I pretty quickly figured out that it would have to involve a railroad property and that led quickly to the answer (no Short, Reading or B&O streets -- not even an Ohio Ave to confuse the pedantic)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:28 am I really did not like the way the Monopoly question was written.
What was your issue with it? I pretty quickly figured out that it would have to involve a railroad property and that led quickly to the answer (no Short, Reading or B&O streets -- not even an Ohio Ave to confuse the pedantic)
Here's the question:

Eleven properties in the standard U.S. version of the board game Monopoly have names that include U.S. states. One state appears twice. Which one?

To me, the way it is written makes it sound like one of the 11 is repeated within that set. Obviously that couldn't be the case, but it could have been a bit better-written, I think.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:07 am
Woof wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am
Here's the question:

Eleven properties in the standard U.S. version of the board game Monopoly have names that include U.S. states. One state appears twice. Which one?

To me, the way it is written makes it sound like one of the 11 is repeated within that set. Obviously that couldn't be the case, but it could have been a bit better-written, I think.
But one of the states is repeated? There are 10 unique state names printed on a Monopoly board and 11 properties with state names.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am But one of the states is repeated? There are 10 unique state names printed on a Monopoly board and 11 properties with state names.
Ah, OK. That's on me, then. I never considered the railroads as properties. I always assumed there were properties (spaces you could put houses/hotels on), railroads, and utilities.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Yeah, Volante's got the point. Those 11 properties are: CT, IL, IN, KY, NC, NY, PA, TN, VA, VT and the Penn RR. Of those 11, only PA's state name repeats.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

The spaces on a Monopoly board you can own are properties, not just the ones you can build on. I was just glad to follow up a video game question I could answer with a board game question I could answer! I picked checkers on the chess question thinking chess didn't sound Polish enough after trying to decide which game could have a distinctive logo. Was pretty pleased with myself to get Tic Tac Dough, I watched a ton of Press Your Luck and knew the lights around the square weren't quite right, and remembered watching tic tac dough and thinking the light/square looked right for that but I did not remember the dragon.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:50 am The spaces on a Monopoly board you can own are properties, not just the ones you can build on. I was just glad to follow up a video game question I could answer with a board game question I could answer! I picked checkers on the chess question thinking chess didn't sound Polish enough after trying to decide which game could have a distinctive logo. Was pretty pleased with myself to get Tic Tac Dough, I watched a ton of Press Your Luck and knew the lights around the square weren't quite right, and remembered watching tic tac dough and thinking the light/square looked right for that but I did not remember the dragon.
Ahhh, just 1 right. Ditto on checkers. Press your luck. Howard Johnsons (over IHOP). Princess cruise lines. Wormhole.

Moving on
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 pm
Ahhh, just 1 right. Ditto on checkers. Press your luck. Howard Johnsons (over IHOP). Princess cruise lines. Wormhole.

Moving on
International Hut of Pizza?

I lost 4(4)-5(4) because I didn't realize how difficult the Tic Tac Dough question was. No guess on the Chess question and WAG of Norwegian on the cruise question, got the others correct.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Moving on
International Hut of Pizza?

I lost 4(4)-5(4) because I didn't realize how difficult the Tic Tac Dough question was. No guess on the Chess question and WAG of Norwegian on the cruise question, got the others correct.
I pressed my luck too quickly with "Press Your Luck" and never considered "Tic Tac Dough."

I wagged Norwegian too; Royal Caribbean would have been my backup wag. I knew it wasn't any of these other biggies: Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, Disney.

Pretty good flick about the rise of Chess Records: Cadillac Records, with Adrien Brody as Leonard Chess. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1042877/
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm I wagged Norwegian too; Royal Caribbean would have been my backup wag. I knew it wasn't any of these other biggies: Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, Disney.
Wasn't always that way, but pretty much every current Norwegian Cruise ship is call the Norwegian ________ (except the Pride of America).