LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium »

I'm #24 in a rundle where #26-28 will be relegated. I'm tied in the standings with ValadaC, leading her with a -5 MPD to her -13. In 26th place is BoysenG, who's a point behind me in the standings, with a -27 MPD. Barring forfeits by anyone else, one of the three of us will be relegated. I'm safe as long as at least one of these three things happens: 1) I tie or win, 2) ValadaC loses, 3) BoysenG ties or loses.

ValadaC is up against AdusumilliV, who was #1 just one match ago; and BoysenG is up against initials-buddy BranumG, who is formidable, but who isn't immune to forfeits (and in fact, once forfeited against me on the last day of a season almost three years ago, facilitating a three-place leap in the standings that left me a single point in MPD above relegation).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Whether or not I get relegated to B Taiga depends on the 4 players below me. If I can eke out a win (against the 3rd ranked player!), then I’m safe. Otherwise, my fate is not in my own hands!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:10 am I'm safe as long as at least one of these three things happens: 1) I tie or win, 2) ValadaC loses, 3) BoysenG ties or loses.
1 didn't happen, but 2 and 3 did. The bottom 5 of the rundle remained unchanged between Tuesday and today.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Hey, hey, whaddayaknow? NolanR caught up with me in points on MD19, and after a lucky 7(5)-7(5) tie for me (and a 9(6) tie for him) on MD20, it took 5 straight wins to stay level with him on points, but because I had the advantage on MPD, I ended the season in first! This will be my first time qualifying for the LL championship, and I hope I don't embarrass myself! I also nabbed the Maso, but I'm going to have to email Thorsten about it because I'm listed as Maso champ for the wrong league!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Congratulations to Vermonter, who won A Magnolia!

My performance this season was less stellar- 99 TCA, and a 23rd place finish, but it was enough to still keep me above the relegation line.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Vermonter and teapot on 2 well earned championship berths!

I am taking next season off because I will be traveling outside of the country, but happy offseason to everyone!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Two records for me: most correct answers (119), but unfortunately also most correct answers against (121). Sigh.

Congrats to the champs! Way to go teapot37 and Vermonter!
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:49 am Hey, hey, whaddayaknow? NolanR caught up with me in points on MD19, and after a lucky 7(5)-7(5) tie for me (and a 9(6) tie for him) on MD20, it took 5 straight wins to stay level with him on points, but because I had the advantage on MPD, I ended the season in first! This will be my first time qualifying for the LL championship, and I hope I don't embarrass myself! I also nabbed the Maso, but I'm going to have to email Thorsten about it because I'm listed as Maso champ for the wrong league!
Congratulations, Teapot! I am NolanR and you dominated this season, in 1st for 20 of the 25 match days. You left me in the dust in TMP by 14 and TCA by 9. I did get the better of you in our match on defense only (I had staphylococcus, I mean my answer was "staphylococcus"). My three losses were the result of poor defense on my part as well. For the well-being of my sanity I'll pretend that Gellman-ChomskyB actually got "Leatherstocking" and preserved a perfect 13-13 record in Literature this season, resulting in a 9(6)-9(6) draw instead of a 9(6)-9(5) draw.
Good luck in the qualifying and the championship rounds!
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Going into MD25 in C Typhoon Div 1, I was 1 point behind 18th place (the last safe spot), and I had a significantly lower MPD. So, to avoid relegation, I needed to win and hope that the LLama in 18th lost. I got 3/6 on MD25 and was worried it wouldn't be enough. Imagine my surprise when (1) I ended up winning 3(3)-1(2) and (2) the LLama in 18th place forfeited.

I'll be back in C Typhoon for LL78.

Congratulations to Vermonter and teapot37!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Congrats to teapot and Vermonter, as well as bomtr for winning my Rundle. Chris, having sparred with you often in LL, I have never doubt that you’ll acquit yourself well in the Championship. Bomtr, I hope you enjoy the experience more than the last time.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was wondering just how bad I had it with 121 correct answers against: the answer is not nearly as bad as some. FergusonL27 (A Summit) had the misfortune of 129 correct answers against this season. Ouch.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 am Whether or not I get relegated to B Taiga depends on the 4 players below me. If I can eke out a win (against the 3rd ranked player!), then I’m safe. Otherwise, my fate is not in my own hands!
I lost MD25 but survived relegation, finishing in 22 place in A Taiga. I get a few weeks off before my next beat down ;)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

StevenH wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 am Congrats to Vermonter and teapot on 2 well earned championship berths!

I am taking next season off because I will be traveling outside of the country, but happy offseason to everyone!
+1 (to all)!

Another bounce back up to A Prairie for me. (I'm apparently a glutton for humiliation.)
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

I woke up at 12:30 last night and checked to see how I did. My blurry eyes saw 3rd place, meaning that none of the miraculous things I needed to happen had happened. Then my eyes shifted and I realized that I had been looking at the Rundle in the Jungle results (congratulations to top two finishers teapot and boson!), and that I had actually won A Laguna!

In order for that to happen, I first of all had to win my seventh straight match while FoderaB defeated JenningsK, and VeredJ would have to at least tie the formidable GuillotM (who would have undoubtedly won the rundle without his Match Day 12 forfeit). I was also in danger from AdusumilliV in fourth place, who had to surpass my margin of victory by more than two points to overtake me in the standings.

Here's what happened:
  • I managed a 7(5)-4(4) win
  • FoderaB scored one of only two six-packs in the rundle to defeat JenningsK 9(6)-7(5)
  • VeredJ defeated GuillotM 6(5)-4(4)
  • AdusumilliV squeaked by ValadaC 7(5)-6(5) to finish 2nd overall
Even though my opponent was in the relegation zone, it was no walk in the park. The categories favored him, with the two easiest questions in his weaker categories of Literature and Classical Music, and the other four in Film, Current Events, Pop Music, and Games/Sport, his #1, #3, #4, and #5 categories. Meanwhile, my strength in Classical Music was no real help, Film and Literature are middling for me, and Games/Sport, Current Events, and Pop Music are my three weakest categories. Fortunately Ajax was an instaget, and once Frank Sinatra occurred to me, I felt sure it must be right. I thought hard about PPACA; maybe if I had thought of Patient before Pelosi, I could have sussed out the second word, but instead I added the only P senator I could think of, for Pelosi-Pell.

I don't know if I'll ever manage another rundle victory, so I couldn't be more pleased with myself right now! And very pleased with FoderaB and VeredJ as well!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Thank you, everyone! I'm excited to represent Magnolia in next year's championship!

I've gotta be the poster boy for how much relies on factors other than pure knowledge. In LL75, for example, I had the same TCA (112) and a higher DE (.788 v .747) yet finished in 17th. My runner-up this season had 135 TCA, but was assigned only 5 points more than perfect defense over the whole season, whereas I was given 31 points more than I "should" have (UfPA in the expanded standings).

In any case, I'm not complaining. Congrats as well to Teapot37 and plasticene, and to all those who secured promotion (or avoided relegation)!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I had my best season placement wise, finishing 7th in my A Rundle. And after 5 years of my TCA best total being stalled at 104, I've had my second consecutive bettering of that number.

I've finally sorted out getting dropped from the Ronin roster, so I will be heading home to Rubicon for LL78. I was looking forward to playing one of my referrals for the first time, but he had some forfeit issues, and will be dropping down to B. Our time will come. Now I have to find someone new to refer, so South Dakota isn't the only state without a rookie for 2 seasons in a row.

Congrats to everyone!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

A year ago, I compiled an awful 2-19-4 record in A Horizon, which resulted in my relegation. I made my way back into A Horizon, and just completed my best-ever season, 12-8-5 (8th). It featured three 9(6)-9(6) ties and more importantly, some very good luck, so I'll enjoy my good fortune are prepare for tougher times in LL78.

Enjoy the rest of your summer, Llamas!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I finished strong to end up 6th out of 32 in Horizon C, one shy of promotion back to B. Is there an award/name for streakiness? I lost my first five, won the next five and won my last four.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Hearty congratulations to teapot37, Vermonter, and plasticene, and also to seaborgium and morbeedo for escaping relegation. I'd also like to congratulate my esteemed referrer econgator for "sticking" in B for the first time.

There aren't as many trivia nights out here in the sticks as there are in more heavily populated areas, and I seem to have conflicts with most of them, but I got the PPACA question purely because the exact same thing came up in a trivia night in the last year or two. Prevented me from being shut out in current events, my weakest category. It's too bad there isn't some thread that would be a lazy-person's replacement for actually being interested in current events.*

After a bad start to the season, I ended up near the middle of C Commonwealth. I seem to be an amazingly average C player--after one season in R and two in D, I've been in C ever since. I've been nearly promoted and nearly relegated, but usually end up toward the middle.

Looking forward to the math mini-league.

*Yes, I know about Volante's Current Events thread. <Zoidberg>Next season, I should look at it, maybe?</Zoidberg>
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Despite a poor last day, I finished 2nd in B Magnolia and will be back in A next season, hopefully to stay for a bit. :)

Congrats to Vermonter on winning A Magnolia and teapot37 and all the rundle-winning boardies! :D