LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I won my match yesterday on defense 8(4)-7(4), but neither of did great defensively. In fact we each missed the zero pointer. I really expected "everyone" to know Saran wrap and assigned that one zero. My opponent assigned Shrek zero. Shrek never crossed my mind. I put down Ice Age. I also came up with "minuscule" for math one.

From reading the forum posts on the LL site it would appear that Saran Wrap is not used in the UK, but I would have expected it to be very well known in the US. Sort of on par with Q-tips or Kleenex for brand name familiarity.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:45 am Quick recap. First guess was Webster but the whole "secondmost but not firstmost" clue got me thinking oh, he means Strunk and White, so it has to be White, right? wrong
Same thought process for me, except I realized White would have at least two more famous works (Elements of Style and Charlotte's Web), so that more or less rules him out. Webster seemed like the obvious answer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:53 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:45 am Quick recap. First guess was Webster but the whole "secondmost but not firstmost" clue got me thinking oh, he means Strunk and White, so it has to be White, right? wrong
Same thought process for me, except I realized White would have at least two more famous works (Elements of Style and Charlotte's Web), so that more or less rules him out. Webster seemed like the obvious answer.
Sometimes I just don’t get his hints, or the wording is confusing, or I think the question is too obvious. Anyway, moving on
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

I thought the saran wrap question was going to be some strange scientific name, and assigned it a three. Of course as soon as I submitted and saw the correct answer, I just knew that three was going to come back and bite me, and it did.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My opponent knew to give me a 3 on the math question and won 9(6)-6(5).
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

Did anyone else think educator + most important work = Dewey?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Robbo wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 pm Did anyone else think educator + most important work = Dewey?
I did consider Dewey, but didn't think the rest of the question pointed in his direction.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Noah Webster's house is one of the attractions at Greenfield Village. I've been inside it a couple of times, and I remember that one reason for his reasons for compiling his famous dictionary was to make spelling more consistent (it wasn't consistent 200 years ago).

For some reason, I remember a series of made-up quotes in Mad magazine. One of them was "Sex before marriage? Not in my book!"--Noah Webster.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:49 am
badgerfellow wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am Would it be allowable to do a search on an opponent on Match Day to get a better feel for defense?
With the usual caveats, it is allowable.
I draw the line at hiring a private detective.

If I'd thought of Saran wrap I'd have gone with it, but Tupperware was the first thought I thought promising, and I didn't have time to think a whole lot. It is pretty self-adhesive, though perhaps that has more to do with suction.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I have a question along those lines.

I know you can look at your opponent's question history across seasons for defense, and I've even seen comments like "My opponent missed a similar question in LL70"). My fear in doing that is that I will have an answer spoiled for that match day. Is it acceptable to go ahead and look at the Q history if you've locked in your own answers?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:49 pm Is it acceptable to go ahead and look at the Q history if you've locked in your own answers?
It's acceptable to look at it whenever you want. The issue is how you deal with any information you see that may inform your answers or your defense.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

My first full week in LL done, and it's crazy just how unpredictable this game is! I miraculously went 2-1-2 this week, putting me at 3-2-2 overall and 13th place in R Magnolia. Pleasantly surprised with how well I've done so far, but not sure if I'll be able to hold this position (although it'd definitely be nice ending up in a D rundle for next season)

On Monday, I pulled out a 2(2)-2(3) tie with some strategic defense, knowing only Belize & El Salvador and VHS. Tuesday I was able to win 3(1)-1(1) as I remembered the Roosevelt Corollary from high school US History. I was able to set a personal record and correctly answer 4 questions (only missing Macron and Tuxedo), but still ended up losing 5(4)-8(5)

Thursday was the first match that I won by answering more questions correctly, knowing MacGyver, Haydn, and Plumbing. (I'm surprised at such a low get rate for a relatively straightforward classical music question--I guess that just isn't a good category for most people.) And on Friday, my good luck finally caught up to me, when I assigned 3 points to the only question my opponent answered correctly, tying 3(3)-3(1). I got Angola, Shrek, and Saran Wrap, bringing my Geography record to 3-3 (and probably preventing me from getting a single point in Geography for the rest of my LL career)

I guess I was slightly worried coming in that I'd be way in over my head with the difficulty of questions, but I think I've been holding my own so far. It'll definitely be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Robbo wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 pm Did anyone else think educator + most important work = Dewey?
Not only thought, but so answered as well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I stuck with my first inclination of Webster, but I considered Dewey and Roget as well. (Roget I at least could rule out for possibly not being American, which turned out to be the case.)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I was convinced when I first read the Webster question that "second-most (but definitely not first-most)" was a tease out pointing to The New England Primer but was unable to recall that book's author. I then regrouped and put together that grammar and spelling with "pioneering American author and educator" pointed to Webster.
I would prefer not to.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm I was convinced when I first read the Webster question that "second-most (but definitely not first-most)" was a tease out pointing to The New England Primer but was unable to recall that book's author. I then regrouped and put together that grammar and spelling with "pioneering American author and educator" pointed to Webster.
I still don't get how "second-most (but definitely not first-most)" was supposed to help
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Bartleby wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm I was convinced when I first read the Webster question that "second-most (but definitely not first-most)" was a tease out pointing to The New England Primer but was unable to recall that book's author. I then regrouped and put together that grammar and spelling with "pioneering American author and educator" pointed to Webster.
I still don't get how "second-most (but definitely not first-most)" was supposed to help
Webster's Dictionary would be his first-most. That was how it was supposed to help.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Webster's Dictionary being the first most?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm
Webster's Dictionary being the first most?
Awkward wording (as in the question) is often a sign of a clue in LL. I have never heard someone say 'first-most' like that, which to some of us hinted at a clue. I still went with Webster thinking of the dictionary, but had a lingering uncertainty.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I have really lost the ability to defend in this LL, and the last one. I am going to pull a Costanza and just do the opposite of what I think I should for the next week and see what happens. Sub 500 for the 2nd straight season.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.