LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LearnedLeague 77 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:33 pm I'm on a 4 game losing streak and it looks like I'm at risk of being relegated to E. To add insult to injury, my opponent chose yesterday to drink the beer.

E rundle or not, I'll still enjoy participating daily.
yeah, I'm with you. losing sucks. and I wasn't optimistic about MD15 after missing Buddha with Muhammad (ugh), but managed to win my main match with just 3 right and perfect defense again (!!), getting that stat up to .909, unbelievably

the ny times crossword had a clue on sunday about Diane from Black-ish, so lucky lucky me!! anyone else see that?

is there a list of the rundle in the jundle players matching LL name to Jboard alias?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This has been hands-down the weirdest season of my 18 seasons in LL. I am in the running for a Maso, but thanks to a league-leading CAA and a career-low DE I am also flirting with relegation. I simply cannot buy a break. For instance, yesterday my opponent gets the Chinese dowager emperor but doesn't get the Apollo theater despite living in Brooklyn, thereby beating me 6(4)-5(4). Bah.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

'Past lives' brought Buddha to mind immediately, of course, .... but, then, I got a little too clever by half. Thought that word could sound Korean, and since Kim Jong-Il scored 11 holes in one in his very first round of golf, I thought maybe they're claiming heroic deeds in past lives for the current one. My answer: Kim Jong-Un. Aw, geez. Bet I was the only one with THAT one.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 am I thought of Buddha and Jack and Diane first on their questions. I talked myself out of Buddha because I thought the question sounded mythological and went with Vishnu, thinking of his avatars. And then I talked myself out of Jack and Diane because I thought that the song came out in the mid to late '80s.

But I still won. Yay for being in D.
I might be joining you there next season. . .
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Woof

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am 'Past lives' brought Buddha to mind immediately, of course, .... but, then, I got a little too clever by half. Thought that word could sound Korean, and since Kim Jong-Il scored 11 holes in one in his very first round of golf, I thought maybe they're claiming heroic deeds in past lives for the current one. My answer: Kim Jong-Un. Aw, geez. Bet I was the only one with THAT one.
Eek! That a with the horizontal diacritical mark over it put me in mind of Sanskrit, so that helped direct my thinking. When combined with past lives and acts of virtue I had my answer. I spent the most time thinking about how to refer to him: Prince Siddhartha, Siddhartha Gautama or The Buddha? Went with the latter and, of course, it wouldn't have mattered what I chose.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am This has been hands-down the weirdest season of my 18 seasons in LL. I am in the running for a Maso, but thanks to a league-leading CAA and a career-low DE I am also flirting with relegation. I simply cannot buy a break. For instance, yesterday my opponent gets the Chinese dowager emperor but doesn't get the Apollo theater despite living in Brooklyn, thereby beating me 6(4)-5(4). Bah.
Well, if you're thinking geographically, NYC's Chinatown is closer to Brooklyn than Harlem is.

I'll speculate that your opponent answered "Cotton Club", which was the MCWA. That was my first thought until I realized that, wait, of course it's The Apollo.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Woof wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am This has been hands-down the weirdest season of my 18 seasons in LL. I am in the running for a Maso, but thanks to a league-leading CAA and a career-low DE I am also flirting with relegation. I simply cannot buy a break. For instance, yesterday my opponent gets the Chinese dowager emperor but doesn't get the Apollo theater despite living in Brooklyn, thereby beating me 6(4)-5(4). Bah.
Oddly enough, my opponent yesterday was also from Brooklyn. I gave him 1 despite him having low scores in all fine arts categories, and that made the difference in breaking my losing streak.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RandyG wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:02 pm
Well, if you're thinking geographically, NYC's Chinatown is closer to Brooklyn than Harlem is.

I'll speculate that your opponent answered "Cotton Club", which was the MCWA. That was my first thought until I realized that, wait, of course it's The Apollo.
Cotton Club came up in a recent LL season - I remember it well, because I went with Apollo that time ;)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Two other people in the rundle get 9(6)s. I had to be playing one of them. Sigh. #Arundleproblems
At least I snapped a 3-game losing streak.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

"Rarebit" isn't lepus related...gotta be something else... :evil:
(I ended up putting down 'hare of the dog')

And curse you Clyde Bruckman for not saying who the Big Bopper lost the coin flip to!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Tied yesterday 1(2)-1(1), thanks to some inexplicable defense on my opponents part. I got scissors literally by using them in my office and fairchild/national led me straight to semiconductor. Based on yesterdays question categories, bus/econ should've been a 2 or maybe a 3 but I was assigned a 0 even though my opponent with his .650 bus/econ correct percentage got it wrong (I gave him 0, and 1 for scissors).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am fairchild/national led me straight to semiconductor.
Definitely should have gotten this, but the only thing that came to me was aircraft, as I was raised in Farmingdale, NY where Republic/Fairchild was based.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

If Thorsten keeps bringing questions about semiconductors and cryogenics, I'll soon have to ask him to stay for dinner. Next week: questions about my son's ball hockey results.

(just to help you all out, they are in fourth place in their league).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:12 am
classicroadster wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am fairchild/national led me straight to semiconductor.
Definitely should have gotten this, but the only thing that came to me was aircraft, as I was raised in Farmingdale, NY where Republic/Fairchild was based.
I thought toothpicks was as good a guess as any
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am "Rarebit" isn't lepus related...gotta be something else... :evil:

And curse you Clyde Bruckman for not saying who the Big Bopper lost the coin flip to!
I immediately flashed back to that episode too. I may have mentally edited the right answer in.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Hate to jinx myself but I've been on a nice streak and haven't lost since MD 8. After yesterday I'm sitting 6th in A Fjord with first only two points ahead of me. Pulled out a 7(5)-4(4) victory yesterday. I missed Welsh Rarebit my opponent missed Gonzo and semiconductor.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

econgator wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:12 am
Took me a while to get there, as those names just seemed so familiar. Finally, I realized it was from my old life as an electrical engineer.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Woof

Post by Woof »

acthomas wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am
Volante wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am "Rarebit" isn't lepus related...gotta be something else... :evil:

I immediately flashed back to that episode too. I may have mentally edited the right answer in.
For me, it was all about The Outlaws, which to me is Willie, Waylon and Merle. Of the three, I could dismiss two: Willy for being too famous and Merle for not being Texan (because Bakersfield). That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my guess was good.
Woof

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:02 pm

I too went to the Cotton Club first, mostly because I'd walk past it twice daily when I lived within view of Grant's Tomb. Since it's best known as a speakeasy, though, I quickly refocused my gaze on that other 125th St institution.

p.s. Happy Belated, Randy!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Woof wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:55 pm
acthomas wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am

For me, it was all about The Outlaws, which to me is Willie, Waylon and Merle. Of the three, I could dismiss two: Willy for being too famous and Merle for not being Texan (because Bakersfield). That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my guess was good.
For some reason, Waylon's name never bubbled up in my memory; Willie's and Merle's did, and I went with Merle. That cost me 3 points and the game.