Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7770, 2018-05-25

Josh Hill game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Ross Belsome, a valuation analyst from Houston, Texas
Virginia Cummings, a geriatrician from Randolph, Massachusetts
Josh Hill, a network engineer from North Little Rock, Arkansas (whose 7-day cash winnings total $163,721)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, as you realize, our champion has been on quite a roll. Virginia and Ross, welcome aboard and good luck. Here we go. Let's find out about the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INDY 500 (5/5) (Alex: As they celebrate their 102nd running this Sunday.)
BALKAN NATIONS (3/3)
"ZZ" MIDDLE (5/5) (Alex: Two "Z"s coming up in the middle of each correct response.)
SIGNS & GESTURES (5/5)
GENIUSES ARE BORN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NOT MADE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ross: 13 R, 0 W
Josh: 9 R, 0 W
Virginia: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ross: $3,600
Josh: $2,000
Virginia: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ross Belsome is a contest winner. Twice he has won a big contest. Where?

Ross: In Houston. The Montrose Crawl, the biggest Halloween event in Houston. I've won twice with groups. The first time was seven deadly sins. I was envy--wore green, had little pieces of every other costume 'cause I was envious of them. And the second time, we were Batman villains. I was the Joker; I was Cesar Romero's Joker, who famously did not shave his mustache for his costume. And the same way, I just painted over my mustache.

Alex: I hope you got a lot of press out of your victories.

Alex: All right, Virginia, we have good news for you. Because I did not say "ZZ" will come up exactly in the middle of each correct response, the judges have decided that your response of "grizzly" is acceptable. So we're giving you $1,600. You're on the plus side with $1,400. Now, we introduced you as a geriatrician, which means you look after old folks. Is that easy or tough?

Virginia: I like it. I think it's easy. They always say exactly what's on their mind, good or bad.

Alex: "I don't like the food!"

Virginia: And when they complain about something, they're not making it up. There's something wrong.

Alex: Good.

Alex: All right, Josh Hill, you've won a lot of money. You've already decided how you're gonna spend some of it. I know traveling--where?

Josh: Well, my wife and I, we've been to all the lower 48 states, the continental 48 states, to use the correct term. But we haven't been to Alaska or Hawaii, so we'd like to take a two week vacation. You know, hit Alaska one week and Hawaii the next week.

Alex: Both great trips.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Virginia found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Josh had $2,800, Virginia had $2,000, and Ross was at $4,200. Virginia made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

GENIUSES ARE BORN $800: He was born April 15, 1452, near a little Tuscan town you wouldn't have heard of otherwise

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ross: $7,600
Virginia: $6,400
Josh: $4,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EPIC FAIL (3/5)
NEW YORK COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
4-SYLLABLE WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SLEEP (3/5)
EARLY 19th CENTURY TIMELINE (5/5)
A "LITTLE" ENTERTAINMENT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ross: 9 R, 1 W
Virginia: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Josh: 8 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Virginia snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Josh had $5,800, Virginia had $7,600, and Ross was at $8,000. Virginia wagered $2,000.

NEW YORK COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1200: In 1917 it awarded the first Pulitzer Prizes

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Virginia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Josh had $5,000, Virginia had $14,000, and Ross was at $11,200. Virginia wagered $3,000.

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $1200: The range or territory of a sheriff's authority

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EPIC FAIL $800: This epic hero triumphantly slays a dragon, but when he deceptively woos & wins Brunhilda, it leads to his death
(Josh: Who is Beowulf?)

EPIC FAIL $1200: In the Mayan epic "Popol Vuh", the gods' first try at creation fails when the creatures lack this ability

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $1600: It's the buzzword for providing TMI on social media

SLEEP $1200: This 4-letter pinniped can sleep underwater but wakes to surface & breathe
(Virginia: What is an orca?)

SLEEP $1600: Hormones called leptins are off-kilter when you don't get enough sleep, increasing this, from the Latin for "desire"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Virginia: $17,800
Ross: $17,600
Josh: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-NOMINATED ACTORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Virginia: Wager $17,401 to cover Ross.
Ross: You have to wager $1,201 to cover Josh's doubled score, but certainly no more than $8,199, so as to force Josh to be right to have a chance at winning.
Josh: Consider risking between $8,201 and $8,999. This will top a $0 wager by Ross while still beating Virginia on the Triple Stumper (should Virginia wager to cover Ross's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was nominated twice for playing Oscar winners--a real one in a 1992 biopic & a fictional one in a 2008 combat comedy

FINAL SCORES
Josh: $9,400 - $8,401 = $999 (Who is Hopkins?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ross: $17,600 + $1,201 = $18,801 (Who is Robert Downey Jr.) (2nd place: $2,000)
Virginia: $17,800 + $17,401 = $35,201 (Who is Robert Downey Jr.) (New champion: $35,201)
(Alex: [To Ross] The two films were Chaplin, the story of Charlie Chaplin, and the other one was Tropic Thunder.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ross: $17,600, 22 R, 1 W
Virginia: $14,000, 15 R (including 3 DDs), 1 W
Josh: $9,400, 17 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $41,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Ross: 23/58 = .397
Josh: 17/58 = .293
Virginia: 16/61 = .262
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SIGNS & GESTURES $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an image of the hand of benediction.) The hand of benediction, with the ring and pinky fingers folded in, has been used by the Roman Catholic church since the start; some doctors have suggested that it was actually a sign of nerve damage of this first pope & copied by later popes

INDY 500 $200: In 1992, five years after his father won, this junior guy, Little Al, won the race by its closest margin, less than a car length

"ZZ" MIDDLE $800: It means gray, usually when referring to hair
(Virginia: What is grizzly?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; credited during contestant interviews because Alex did not specify that "ZZ" had to be in the exact middle of the word.]

SIGNS & GESTURES $600: The frequent hand position of this German chancellor is known as her Raute, or "diamond"
[After Josh responds, an uncropped version of the image in the clue is shown.]

INDY 500 $400: The first woman to lead a lap in the race was the 2005 Rookie of the Year, this driver
(Alex: With a minute to go.)

INDY 500 $600: After a scary 2017 crash, both men walked away, thanks in part to the HANS device; the acronym HANS refers to these two body parts

INDY 500 $1000: These famous four words that open the race were amended when Janet Guthrie became the first woman Indy driver

NOT MADE $1000: From 1969 to 1996 there was always room for the 1-2-3 variety from this food brand, but no longer
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A "LITTLE" ENTERTAINMENT $400: Good golly, Miss Molly! In December of 2017, this singer & piano player celebrated his 85th birthday

NEW YORK COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1600: Fordham has 2 main campuses: one in da Bronx & the other at this performing arts complex in Manhattan
(Josh: What is Juilliard?)

A "LITTLE" ENTERTAINMENT $2000: This Jackie DeShannon hit begins, "Think of your fellow man, lend him a helping hand"
(Ross: What is "Jesus Loves the Little Children"?)

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $2000: This German-named dog is alphabetically first among AKC-recognized breeds

EARLY 19th CENTURY TIMELINE $400: July 13, 1836:
The U.S. grants its first numbered one of these, for a new type of locomotive wheel
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

EARLY 19th CENTURY TIMELINE $2000: July 2, 1839:
Erstwhile slaves take over this Spanish schooner

CORRECT RESPONSES
Leonardo da Vinci
Columbia
jurisdiction
Siegfried
speech
oversharing
a seal
appetite
Robert Downey Jr.
Peter
Al Unser Jr.
grizzled (or grizzly)
(Angela) Merkel
(Danica) Patrick
head and neck
Gentlemen, start your engines
Jell-O
Little Richard
Lincoln Center
"Put A Little Love In Your Heart"
the Affenpinscher
a patent
the Amistad
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-NOMINATED ACTORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was nominated twice for playing Oscar winners–a real one in a 1992 biopic & a fictional one in a 2008 combat comedy

Josh Hill: 9400-8401=999
Virginia Cummings: 17800+17401=35201 (New Champ)
Ross Belsome: 17600+1201=18801

Correct response:
Spoiler
Robert Downey Jr. (Josh – Hopkins)

Daily Doubles
Virginia: 2000+2000
Virginia: 7600+2000
Virginia: 14000+3000

Coryats
Josh: 9400
Virginia: 14000
Ross: 17600

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 4200
Virginia: 6400
Ross: 7600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The reversal was “ZZ” MIDDLE $800: It means gray, usually when referring to hair

Alex failed to specify the ZZ would be exactly in the middle, so after the reversal both Virginia and Ross got correct responses on it.

The challengers were ready to play with Virginia finding and converting all three DDs and Ross had 22R out of 58 clues. Josh was outplayed, but 17R is respectable.

The FJ! clue was helpful in giving in years and genres. I wrote the man’s name and had plenty of time to double check that everything added up.

Ouch if someone got to the right comedy and picked Tom Cruise thinking of Born on the 4th of July for the wrong biopic.

Tiger Woods likes to wear red on Sundays. Josh’s red today did not help him make the Friday cut.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I need to study Oscars. Ended up matching Josh's Hopkins, but frankly had no reason for it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not an FJ category I want to see when I’m 0/4 on the week. But I avoid the box of shame on a guess.

I knew Downey played Chaplin, but didn’t think it was that long ago and had no idea on the other movie. I also wasn’t sure if Chaplin had won an Oscar but I had no other idea.

Calling Chaplin an Oscar winner is a little tricky. He won two honorary awards. Then he got Best Score in 1972 for a 20 year old movie via a bit of a loophole.

Lucky break for Virginia on the reversal to earn her an extra $33,201 today and cost Ross $30,401. I hope she at least bought him dinner.

We saw Josh slipping yesterday and it was final today against two strong players. But he had enough in the tank to have a chance at a win going into FJ. He won a ton of cash and will play again, so he is good.

I wonder if they’d have taken just the hand signal for Hook ‘em Horns.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

As awful a category as movies usually are for me, I got FJ. 2008 combat comedy=Tropic Thunder=Robert Downey Jr. or Ben Stiller, and no way it was Stiller. The biopic never would have helped me, though.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 42,000
50 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: the ability to talk, oversharing, appetite

Movies/Oscars is a weak spot of mine, but I should've gotten this FJ! I had heard the Downey/Chaplin thing a couple of months ago, and I spent too much time trying to pull it from the back of my brain. All the while, I had Downey's African-American persona from Tropic Thunder--the only recent combat comedy I can think of--in the front of my brain, but I never stopped to think of who played that character.

To add to yesterday's discussion on clearing the board, today's J! round featured one neg, no TS's, and a normal interview segment (only 1:38 from the beginning of the "coming back from commercial" music until Ross began to call for the next clue), yet two clues were left on the board. Come on, TPTB. Y'all can do better.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 am Ouch if someone got to the right comedy and picked Tom Cruise thinking of Born on the 4th of July for the wrong biopic.
Hi there.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:13 pm I wonder if they’d have taken just the hand signal for Hook ‘em Horns.
I definitely did it at home, and thought Josh might too. Cya in the TOC, Josh.

If FJ had stopped at '2008 comedy', things would've been a bit dicey; I'm pretty good at winners, but remembering all the nominees is hit-or-miss. But "combat comedy" -> Tropic Thunder -> RDJ + remembering Chaplin, instaget FJ.

That grizzly reversal was...interesting. I wonder if there's any precedent, or if Alex was just careful to specify the exact middle in the past.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had a dream last night that Josh finally lost. Should I go play the lottery now?

Ross really seemed to be a demon on that buzzer. Between that and a sole miss on FJ! it just wasn't in the cards. Still, seven wins is impressive. See you in the TOC.

Can't say I've heard of Al Unser Jr. or "jazzed".

Lach Trash: oversharing, seal

Not even a guess on FJ! Can't say I've ever heard of either film before.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 pm Can't say I've ever heard of either film before.
Can't speak to Chaplin, but go watch Tropic Thunder. Very funny.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

They wouldn't accept the hand gesture alone because it wouldn't be in the form of a question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 pm They wouldn't accept the hand gesture alone because it wouldn't be in the form of a question.
At home I said “What is” and then did the gesture.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 pm They wouldn't accept the hand gesture alone because it wouldn't be in the form of a question.
Follow with a shrug, and you're good.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

lemme see if I got this straight... Siegfried is a TS when spotted Brunhilde, yet the two challengers were able to pull Robert Downey Jr. out of that FJ? I'll never understand people's fascination with the Oscars....
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

The Indy 500 (5), Balkan Nations (3), "ZZ" Middle (3), Signs & Gestures (3), Geniuses Are Born (4), Not Made (3)
Epic Fail (2), New York Colleges & Universities (5), 4-Syllable Words (3), Sleep (2), Early 19th (5), "Little" (3)

Lach Trash: appetite

For the Spenser clue, I goofed and said "Little Faerie Queene", still having my mind on the "Little" category; also blanked on the Spenser work on my last online test.

Instaget FJ- I remember the biopic, but the combat comedy provided the bigger hint for me.

Great run by Josh!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm lemme see if I got this straight... Siegfried is a TS when spotted Brunhilde, yet the two challengers were able to pull Robert Downey Jr. out of that FJ? I'll never understand people's fascination with the Oscars....
I know nothing whatsoever about the Oscars and virtually nothing about movies but I actually got this one, since "combat comedy" rather obviously described TT. I don't think following the Oscars is at all required to know that one.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Great run by Josh, but it's nice to see someone else get a chance.

Instaget FJ with just "Chaplin", then confirmed with Tropic Thunder. Usually Oscar categories are less sure for me (they manage to pick very obscure things for these, I just got lucky).
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I really like Josh and hoped he would extend his run, and Virginia came across very well, but I was openly rooting for Ross. Why? He reminds me a lot of Gomez Addams. Moreso Raul Julia's portrayal than John Astin's.

Anywho, this was an excellent game, one of the best we've seen in a long time. Virginia finding all 3 DDs was a tremendous boon, and her and Ross flip-flopped the lead multiple times over the last few minutes of DJ.

Much like McKinnie, Ross goes down as one of the most impressive contestants not to win a single game.

Instaget FJ for me, including instant recognition of what two films they were talking about.