Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

DBear wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm lemme see if I got this straight... Siegfried is a TS when spotted Brunhilde, yet the two challengers were able to pull Robert Downey Jr. out of that FJ? I'll never understand people's fascination with the Oscars....
This FJ required zero knowledge of the Oscars. I actually didn't even know that RDJ had been nominated for Tropic Thunder, and while I faintly knew that he was nominated for Chaplin, lack of that knowledge wouldn't have slowed me down one iota.

There are exceptions, but the vast majority of Oscar FJs or categories on Jeopardy can be answered without any knowledge of the Oscars themselves, but solely of movies and actors.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 2/3 (Leonardo Da Vinci, Columbia)
FJ: :(
LT: Siegfried, Speech, Seal

How many of you negged Indy 500 $200?
Douglas Squasoni
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:19 am How many of you negged Indy 500 $200?
Was that the Al Unser Jr clue? IIRC they gave us the Al and the Jr...unless there's another famous one? I know less about auto racing than your dog.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:19 am How many of you negged Indy 500 $200?
Was that the Al Unser Jr clue? IIRC they gave us the Al and the Jr...unless there's another famous one? I know less about auto racing than your dog.
Exactly. What could you possibly have negged with?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:52 am
You could've missed the "Al" part and guessed Dale Jr.?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:02 am
econgator wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:52 am
You could've missed the "Al" part and guessed Dale Jr.?
They said Al in the clue? Oops. :oops: Wouldn't have gotten it anyway. :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

A couple coincidences may have helped me in this game.

This afternoon, I was reading about '70s music, including HMS Pinafore, the Ring cycle, and (on the last possible day) The Pirates of Penzance. I think I probably would have known Siegfried anyway, though.

I was dreading FJ because of the category, but I had just watched this clip (some probably-NSFW language) from Tropic Thunder on Wednesday, making this one an instaget. Not sure I would have known it otherwise.

Are there other 4-letter pinnipeds? That was a weird TS.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 pm
DBear wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 pm lemme see if I got this straight... Siegfried is a TS when spotted Brunhilde, yet the two challengers were able to pull Robert Downey Jr. out of that FJ? I'll never understand people's fascination with the Oscars....
I know nothing whatsoever about the Oscars and virtually nothing about movies but I actually got this one, since "combat comedy" rather obviously described TT. I don't think following the Oscars is at all required to know that one.
I had never heard of that second movie and got it right (on a guess) by knowing he starred in the Chaplin movie.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

dinghammer wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:10 am I was dreading FJ because of the category, but I had just watched this clip (some probably-NSFW language) from Tropic Thunder on Wednesday, making this one an instaget.

Great clip!
Congrats to Josh on a memorable run. Maybe he'll celebrate with a viewing of Tropic Thunder, although I'd caution him about the panda scene.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm As awful a category as movies usually are for me, I got FJ. 2008 combat comedy=Tropic Thunder=Robert Downey Jr. or Ben Stiller, and no way it was Stiller. The biopic never would have helped me, though.
Got as far as "Tropic Thunder" as the combat comedy, but only from ads and previews. Didn't see the movie and didn't know RDJ had been in it. Knew Ben Stiller was incorrect, but he was the only person I knew from "Tropic Thunder" (which I misremembered to my wife as "Jungle Thunder" as the think music played).
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:52 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm As awful a category as movies usually are for me, I got FJ. 2008 combat comedy=Tropic Thunder=Robert Downey Jr. or Ben Stiller, and no way it was Stiller. The biopic never would have helped me, though.
Got as far as "Tropic Thunder" as the combat comedy, but only from ads and previews. Didn't see the movie and didn't know RDJ had been in it.
The fact that RDJ was, in fact, unrecognizable in Tropic Thunder probably had something to do with the nomination. :)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 pm ...
Can't say I've heard of Al Unser Jr. or "jazzed".

Lach Trash: oversharing, seal

Not even a guess on FJ! Can't say I've ever heard of either film before.
I thought the contestant said "Jazz" and spent the next few quiet moments wondering how "Jazz" has two z's in the MIDDLE. Now I know... I must have not read the clue correctly or something, cuz I've sure heard and used the term "jazzed".

Never heard of "oversharing"...

No clue on FJ!. Heard of, but haven't seen Chaplin!, though I had the soundtrack CD and heard how wildly incorrect many of the "facts" in the film were, but never would have thought of the actor who played it. And the other film... Never heard of it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Oy. Finally, a movie final that's an insta for me. What with Fargo and Casablanca mocking me... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I returned from a trip Thursday evening and just got done binge-watching 12 J! episodes. I had been spoiled on the LL site that Josh would win at least seven games; I was a little sorry to see his run end today after having been in the audience when it started. I look forward to watching him in the ToC.

It's a bit frustrating watching J! while tired and a bit jet-lagged, because I know I'll miss several responses I'd usually get. Today's FJ! was especially frustrating because, although movies are not one of my stronger categories, I knew (or successfully guessed) the two movies being referenced and I could picture the actor, but I just couldn't produce his name.

No excuses next week, I guess.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I don't know how to do links, but FJ sounded familiar. The June 6 2017 FJ got me the first part of the clue. I saw TT, but it wasn't that memorable. I just hoped it
fulfilled the second part of the clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

eureka wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 pm I don't know how to do links, but FJ sounded familiar. The June 6 2017 FJ got me the first part of the clue. I saw TT, but it wasn't that memorable. I just hoped it
fulfilled the second part of the clue.
Just copy and paste the link. It magically becomes clickable when you post:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5664

If you want to be fancy you can edit the link so it goes directly to the FJ clue:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ardy_round

But I think I'm the only one geeky enough to do that.

Thanks for the reminder. I felt like we'd had the Downey-Chaplin connection referenced in the not too distant past.
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

This is Ross. Thanks to everyone here for being an important resource to me in the lead up to my appearance. Here are just some random thoughts:

So far, people have been very nice about me on the internet other than a couple stray comments about my “creeper mustache” (which apparently just means a regular mustache on someone younger than 60 years old).
I got as far as the “Sieg...” and similar sounds and blanked (Sigmund? Ziegfeld?). Given 30 seconds and a forced guess, I would have put down Siegfried.
IronNeck wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:09 am Much like McKinnie, Ross goes down as one of the most impressive contestants not to win a single game.
Thanks for that. I’m sure there have been better contestants throughout the years who were never-winners, but their losses almost always came down to missing Final Jeopardy.

I had months to ruminate over this, so I’ve looked. I’m not certain enough to say it’s never happened, but it’s at least exceedingly rare for a challenger with the leading Coryat score greater than $17,000 to lose without missing Final Jeopardy or some other miscue (e.g. a Daily Double miss, or a bad Final Jeopardy wager). Without limiting it to challengers, the best I’ve come up with is this game. Scott converted a $9,000 Daily Double with 2 clues left in Double Jeopardy to grab an insurmountable lead against champion Rachel. She had a $20,200 Coryat.

That’s not to say Virginia didn’t earn her win. If you look at Virginia’s performance in a vacuum, a Coryat of $14,000 with gets on all three Daily Doubles plus Final Jeopardy deserves to win. Fate had to decide between the two of us.

And Josh! I needed one clue to take the lead back from Virginia, but he needed both of last two clues to have any chance of winning the game. That’s the eye of the tiger right there.

I’m content with my “Ross Loss,” appreciating that the 2nd place prize paid for our trip plus an extra day to go to Disneyland with my family.

Maybe you’ll catch me on another game show one day?

Millionaire’s difficulty level is a bit erratic for my tastes, but I’m not against it.

I’ve already done some letter frequency analysis on Wheel, but it doesn’t quite hit the trivia itch.

But if Beat Shazam ever calls, I can almost guarantee a 6-digit win. (Okay, sure. My one miss on Friday was on a music question, but I’m horrible at lyrics, and I just couldn’t suss out the tune within the allotted 5 seconds.)

Until I’m eligible though, I’ll just have to settle for a little bit of pub trivia and fantasizing about going to another Geek Bowl.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Welcome Ross and well done in your game. The numbers show how well you played. Please post your photo in costume (along with the cake) for those that don't read Reddit, to enjoy here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

raccoonleaf wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:47 pm This is Ross. Thanks to everyone here for being an important resource to me in the lead up to my appearance.
You did great up there! Sorry it didn't work out. What a ride, eh? First you get to watch Josh rack up some impressive wins to come against you as a 7-game winner. So you know you've got your work cut out for you. But you amply prove that you're up to the Josh challenge... only to narrowly lose to someone else who was ALSO up to the Josh challenge. What a way to go.

Congrats on making this an intense competition. And congrats on knowing what to wager from second. Most viewers don't know enough to understand what you did there, but we know it was a smart move.
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

It took way too much time to figure out how to do this on a phone...
85C55334-22C7-4AA8-BBA3-60C1B6F6B680.jpeg
85C55334-22C7-4AA8-BBA3-60C1B6F6B680.jpeg (342.51 KiB) Viewed 5203 times