Monday, May 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:23 am
davey wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:46 pm I'm irritated by the amount of comic book trivia on J! these days. I guess it's legitimate because that's what seemingly all movie blockbusters are adapted from these days, but it's a weak spot for me.
You don't have to have seen Wolverine to know that "bub" is a palindromic equivalent to "pal."
"Bub" was my immediate thought and would have been my guess on a DD. Since this was a regular clue, I clammed. There's no time to think through all the options and confirm that "bub" is the ONLY word similar to "pal" that's palindromic.
To be honest, I came up with "bub" just as time ran out. But in a category like palindromes, number of letters specified, I'm going with the one that comes to mind first... :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:46 pm I'm irritated by the amount of comic book trivia on J! these days. I guess it's legitimate because that's what seemingly all movie blockbusters are adapted from these days, but it's a weak spot for me.
You don't have to have seen Wolverine to know that "bub" is a palindromic equivalent to "pal."
"Bub" was my immediate thought and would have been my guess on a DD. Since this was a regular clue, I clammed. There's no time to think through all the options and confirm that "bub" is the ONLY word similar to "pal" that's palindromic.
To be honest, I came up with "bub" just as time ran out. But in a category like palindromes, number of letters specified, I'm going with the one that comes to mind first... :)
If the category or clue had specified the number of letters, I'd at least have been tempted to pull the trigger.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

earendel wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 am There was a 2-part episode, "Time's Arrow", that featured Mark Twain. The plot revolved around an archaeological excavation in 24th century San Francisco finding Data's head. The crew went back to 19th century San Francisco and met Mark Twain and Jack London.
Please tell me somebody sang "I left my head in San Francisco".
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am Ross: If you knew that FJ! clue your "What If" game continues as Dev proved he was not going to do much with the DDs.
I'm sure every game is a "What If" game for Jeopardy losers, even for the losers who were winners.

It's hard to put myself back in the mindset of the time where I was spending a couple hours every evening studying Jeopardy clues. As others have said, Twain is one of the only authors that makes sense. He would have been #2 on my list of pre-call "19th Century Authors" (after Dickens).
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 am
davey wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 am
If the category or clue had specified the number of letters, I'd at least have been tempted to pull the trigger.
Sorry, I see only the "ere" clue specified 3 letters, although all the responses but $1000 were that length...
I could also have sworn we had a palindromic "gig" clue already this season, but I can't find it...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:00 am
earendel wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 am There was a 2-part episode, "Time's Arrow", that featured Mark Twain. The plot revolved around an archaeological excavation in 24th century San Francisco finding Data's head. The crew went back to 19th century San Francisco and met Mark Twain and Jack London.
Anyone else remember Brent Spiner's album of standards "Ol' Yellow Eyes Is Back"? I don't recall what songs are on it besides "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie," for which his TNG costars provide backing vocals. There's a copy somewhere in our house. Where the heck did we put that thing?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

squarekara wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:49 am
Anyone else remember Brent Spiner's album of standards "Ol' Yellow Eyes Is Back"? I don't recall what songs are on it besides "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie," for which his TNG costars provide backing vocals. There's a copy somewhere in our house. Where the heck did we put that thing?
In the holodeck?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else remember Brent Spiner's album of standards "Ol' Yellow Eyes Is Back"? I don't recall what songs are on it besides "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie," for which his TNG costars provide backing vocals.
Fascinating...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, as long as TNG has come up, this was making the rounds recently:

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I don't care for the bland moniker "Cowboy Pat."
Clearly, the man's cowboy name should be "Trick."
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

raccoonleaf wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:02 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am Ross: If you knew that FJ! clue your "What If" game continues as Dev proved he was not going to do much with the DDs.
I'm sure every game is a "What If" game for Jeopardy losers, even for the losers who were winners.
Never was a "Suck It, Trebek!" cake more justly earned. Belated congrats, raccoonleaf!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 am
John Boy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am
threearruda wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 pm I can't be the only one who precalled Lurleen Wallace thanks to the '03 ToC.
I should've thought of her but didn't, although when the clue came up she was an Instaget. My precall was Ann Richards.

Am I imagining things, or didn't they just recently have another "hotspur" clue?
Not a clue, but Josh mentioned in one of his interview segments that he's a fan of Tottenham Hotspur the Premier League team.
(during which Alex called them "the Hotspurs"... :? )
That's so Spursy :P
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:02 pm
teapot37 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 am
John Boy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am
threearruda wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 pm I can't be the only one who precalled Lurleen Wallace thanks to the '03 ToC.
I should've thought of her but didn't, although when the clue came up she was an Instaget. My precall was Ann Richards.

Am I imagining things, or didn't they just recently have another "hotspur" clue?
Not a clue, but Josh mentioned in one of his interview segments that he's a fan of Tottenham Hotspur the Premier League team.
(during which Alex called them "the Hotspurs"... :? )
That's so Spursy :P
Quite casting aspursions.
yclept

Post by yclept »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 am I'm not sure how Ripken counts as a SS if ARod and Ernie Banks (who both have more career HRs) don't.
"He holds the MLB record for home runs by a shortstop, 345; there was a reason his manager let him play every day"

The clue could've been a bit clearer, but it was asking for most HRs hit while playing SS, not just by someone who primarily played SS. Ripken actually hit 431 career HRs, but only 345 while at short. Banks and ARod have more career HRs, but they hit lot of them while playing other positions (ARod at 3B, Banks at 1B; Ripken played 1,000 more games at SS than either of them).
To add a little more to this, ARod was set to break the all-time SS record, but fate intervined, the Yankees acquired him to play third, and he never hit another HR as a SS. Hr finished his career one behind Ripken.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

yclept wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 am I'm not sure how Ripken counts as a SS if ARod and Ernie Banks (who both have more career HRs) don't.
"He holds the MLB record for home runs by a shortstop, 345; there was a reason his manager let him play every day"

The clue could've been a bit clearer, but it was asking for most HRs hit while playing SS, not just by someone who primarily played SS. Ripken actually hit 431 career HRs, but only 345 while at short. Banks and ARod have more career HRs, but they hit lot of them while playing other positions (ARod at 3B, Banks at 1B; Ripken played 1,000 more games at SS than either of them).
To add a little more to this, ARod was set to break the all-time SS record, but fate intervined, the Yankees acquired him to play third, and he never hit another HR as a SS. Hr finished his career one behind Ripken.
Yes, but we'll never know how many legitimate HRs behind Ripken he finished.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I knew that Ripken began his career at 3B and ended it there, and I guess I thought he spent more time there and less at SS than he actually did.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

19th century author who smoked cigars and might have interacted with Helen Keller? Has to be Twain
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:04 pm
Well, as long as TNG has come up, this was making the rounds recently:

Sorry, guys. . . just one more:
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:00 am Please tell me somebody sang "I left my head in San Francisco".
My copy is on my hard drive. The only title with geographic content is "Carolina in the Morning".

Unrelated item: when Alex asked in the interviews whether there were any tarot cards of game show hosts, I'm surprised nobody pointed out that there's a card titled "The Wheel of Fortune".