Tuesday, May 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

Am I the only person who said Santa Fe Trail instead of Chisholm Trail?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm Instaget FJ. My only fear was that it was one of those tiny Pacific islands like Tuvalu or Kiribati.

Virginia's run ended faster than I thought it would. Oh well.
If a future FJ clue ever requires taking a stab at those, or Bora Bora, or Pitcairn, or Easter Island - I'm just going with Gilligan's Island. After deciding it wasn't a trick question that pointed at Canada, I mentally ran the Commonwealth countries based on Cricket prowess and once I got to New Zealand I was done. Why Cricket? I don't know - it's just the association I have with the Commonwealth; nothing to do with that selfish QE2 biddy. Seriously - supersede already!

Twelvefootgirl wasn't rooting against Virginia, but was glad to see someone else get some cash since she won a lot. We'll see how the pretty boy does tomorrow.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

45 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Six, Orange, Iamb, (Moose), (Volvo), H1N1

For Virginia, Volkswagon is headquartered in Wolfsburg. :idea:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm Am I the only person who said Santa Fe Trail instead of Chisholm Trail?
I almost said Abilene Trail, which was also between Texas-Kansas...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I liked that people in bands category. Very indie-centric with clues about both Arcade Fire and Sonic Youth!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

England, Scotland, or Wales (4), TV Narrators (5), Retorts (5), Food Chain (3), "I" 4 (3), Detail (2)
I Surrender (4), Award-Winning Books (2), Oklahoma History (4), Alphanumerics (2), Exports (4), Band Mates (3)

Lach Trash: six, iamb, H1N1; Daily Double: Volvo (didn't know it for sure, pick 'em with Saab for me)

I got as far as the Caribbean with Jamaica, and I didn't even consider Oceania. :?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:21 am I liked that people in bands category. Very indie-centric with clues about both Arcade Fire and Sonic Youth!
I ran that category, but I wouldn't have gotten Arcade Fire without Owen Pallett's help. He co-wrote the string arrangements on two of their albums, and has a solo song (under the moniker Final Fantasy) called "This Is the Dream of Win and Régine," and knowledge of that title enabled me to recognize their names in the Arcade Fire clue. (I have heard "Everything Now" many times as well, but I don't think I would have been able to make the title-band association fast enough.)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Jeffrey's DD wagering is troubling, and he needed a bit of luck, but he beat a solid champion in Virginia.

I swept 3 categories and got 4/5 in virtually all the other ones except for Oklahoma history, where I was a perfect 0/5. Been a long time since that happened on a history category for me.

Thought of New Zealand immediately, then debated whether it was Australia or possibly one of the tiny Oceanic islands, and wisely stuck with my original thought.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:33 pm
DBear wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm
Thought that too, but realized New Zealand is much farther south than they are.
Farther is correct. Alex incorrectly said further.
I didn't realize Jeopardy! had a style guide.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

This one was a 50/50 for me of whether Australia or New Zealand was farther from the UK. Coin came up right.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I mistakenly pictured NZ to the SW of Australia instead of the SE and so went with Australia. At least I learned something.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 pm I went with Australia because I figured maybe New Zealand looped around the back and got closer on the other side. Sigh.

At least I got the I-4 TS about A FOOT OFTEN WRITTEN BY A POET.
I wondered if any of these contestants were regular crossword solvers, since "iamb" is a regular in many puzzles.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

davey wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 am
Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm Am I the only person who said Santa Fe Trail instead of Chisholm Trail?

...which would have been an EXCELLENT incorrect guess, said the guy who DID say Abilene Trail. :roll:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm Congrats on getting H1N1, tho.
Now I'm jealous. Last time I got the flu, no one congratulated ME.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 pm
davey wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 am

...which would have been an EXCELLENT incorrect guess, said the guy who DID say Abilene Trail. :roll:
Seconded!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

There was a judging error.

In North America, there is an animal referred to as an elk, more often a wapiti which is a species of deer, Cervus canadensis (spelling?). And the animal cited by the scientific name is the moose.

However, the true elk, the Eurasian elk, is the same species. The two animals are different sub species. So the answer elk is correct. He should've been given the money. He also should've protested. Anyway, it should've been listed by the researcher as an acceptable alternate answer unless the phrase North American appeared in the clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JyV92 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm There was a judging error.

In North America, there is an animal referred to as an elk, more often a wapiti which is a species of deer, Cervus canadensis (spelling?). And the animal cited by the scientific name is the moose.

However, the true elk, the Eurasian elk, is the same species. The two animals are different sub species. So the answer elk is correct. He should've been given the money. He also should've protested. Anyway, it should've been listed by the researcher as an acceptable alternate answer unless the phrase North American appeared in the clue.
The clue referenced black bears preying on the animal in question. I think that pins it to North America, though I may be mistaken. There is an Asian (or Asiatic) black bear, but it is usually referred to in English with that modifier. "Black bear" without modification seems to refer to the American variety only. Additionally, I can't find anything online suggesting that the Asian black bear ever preys on the Eurasian elk. I'm not even sure how much habitat overlap there is.

Those are just some additional thoughts based on minimal research. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on whether Jeffrey should have been credited for "elk".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A Møøse once bit my sister...

(A quick reading of Wikipedia would indicate that Jerome is absolutely right.)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Nope--I flipped a mental coin and it came up Santa Fe.

In other news...on my recording, the J! round was preempted by breaking news of the resignation of Missouri's governor. The station cut back to J! just in time for the announcement of the DJ! categories, starting with "I Surrender".
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:32 pm
In other news...on my recording, the J! round was preempted by breaking news of the resignation of Missouri's governor. The station cut back to J! just in time for the announcement of the DJ! categories, starting with "I Surrender".
Worth it :D