Thursday, May 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Enough with the gossip clues! I don't care who Zeus slept with...!! :roll: :twisted: ;)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This is just a funny scene.

And that wasn't the first time a contestant was negged for trying to show off the full title of dr. Strangelove.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 pm [photo shown above]

I had not noticed that. Thanks. Yes, funny scene and I wonder what they were saying? Who has a good caption for it?

Screen grab with Jeffrey included.
Spoiler
hscer

Post by hscer »

DBear wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 pm
hscer wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm
hscer wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm while Skyler got a...dangerous one
nothing?
Until the archivists post the J! and DJ! rounds, probably not.
The joke was more obvious IRL when I just flat out said "I am the danger" when her name was revealed
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am

Skyler impressed me multiple moments during the episode, but she whiffed at some crucial moments, and not just in terms of her responses. Think of how drastically the game changes if she goes all-in on her first round DD.

In that case, she already has a lock when she finds that last DD, and if she correctly recognizes that situation, Jeffrey no longer has the path to victory that he utilized.
I realize it’s early but I don’t think adding another $3,200 to her score gives her a lock going into the final Daily Double. (Her needed score is more than $25,000 and I think she’d have been at $21,000.)
Shoot, I screwed up the wording. Meant to write "crush", not "lock"; my mistake. The rest of the post is still accurate; Jeffrey would no longer be able to win on a mutual miss.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wpwells wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm What person did Zeus sleep with that would be "appropriate" for a EURO? EURO-PA!
*smashes plate on the ground*

Tally another Hera here. That was one oblique TOM right there...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am the miss on the last DD when spotted "musical instruments".
The spot was "musical term." At least she successfully guessed that it was a piece of musical hardware rather than a concept or something written or drawn in musical notation, although I thought my dad's response of "staves" was pretty strong for a guess. (Upon research, I think my response of "flutes," as opposed to Alex's "fluting," passes muster.)

After finding nothing when trying to come up with a goddess who was fitting for €20 or 2015 (the best I could come up with was "Did someone bear 20 of Zeus's children??"), I realized it might be as obvious as Europa. And so it was.

I just watched tonight, as KABC has resorted to its frequent practice of simply bumping J! episodes back a day, with Friday's episode in place of the Saturday rerun, when they get preempted.

There has been one other game with a Dr. Strangelove mis-titling (at least involving "bomb"): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2178
I'm not sure if this game has a contestant giving the full title, or if Alex provided the subtitle after the contestant gave the shortened version. I'm assuming that because the parentheses aren't italicized, they indicate that the subtitle was an addendum by Alex. Likewise, I can't tell if the contestant who rebounded after Jerry Slowik gave the full title (the parentheses are italicized in the Archive).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:40 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 pm [photo shown above]

I had not noticed that. Thanks. Yes, funny scene and I wonder what they were saying? Who has a good caption for it?

Screen grab with Jeffrey included.
Spoiler
"You copied me!" "You were supposed to get it right!"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 pm There has been one other game with a Dr. Strangelove mis-titling (at least involving "bomb"): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2178
I'm not sure if this game has a contestant giving the full title, or if Alex provided the subtitle after the contestant gave the shortened version. I'm assuming that because the parentheses aren't italicized, they indicate that the subtitle was an addendum by Alex. Likewise, I can't tell if the contestant who rebounded after Jerry Slowik gave the full title (the parentheses are italicized in the Archive).
Reggie rebounds from Jerry Slowik with just "What is Dr. Strangelove?" His inflection makes it clear that this is his full answer, so Alex rules him correct immediately. He says, "Yeah," and then to Jerry, "if you'd left it at 'Dr. Strangelove.' I think 'How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb' was the title."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I was rooting for the ladies tonight, but it wasn't meant to be

Maryanne is from my friend's hometown (well, he doesn't know her) and he and I got into a huge fight about this tweet linking to a local news article. Any guesses why?

I haven't read the official Jeopardy! rule book, but I don't buy the idea that if someone responds incorrectly with Wilbur Shakespeare then a player coming in on the rebound is required to give the full name. I assume any response that would be ruled correct on the first try would have to be accepted on the 2nd or 3rd

Europa was so obvious to me, I also figured all 3 players would get it right. Oops.

Given the dates of George III's reign, I came up with ... nothing :oops:
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm Maryanne is from my friend's hometown (well, he doesn't know her) and he and I got into a huge fight about this tweet linking to a local news article. Any guesses why?
Was it the word "questions"?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:29 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm Maryanne is from my friend's hometown (well, he doesn't know her) and he and I got into a huge fight about this tweet linking to a local news article. Any guesses why?
Was it the word "questions"?
haha yes it was :x
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

Normally they would have credited Maryanne with a correct response since opalescent is a synonym for iridescent but since it didn’t fit the first part of the clue, the rulings on both responses by Maryanne and Skyler had to stand.