2018 World Quizzing Championships

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2018 World Quizzing Championships

Post by sarisson »

Results are coming in very slowly on the Quest website. I took it in New Jersey with SterlacciJ and several future contestants (i.e., in the pool). The second half was much easier than the first! I did about the same (low 80's) as last year.
Hoping for a third lap
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2018 World Quizzing Championships

Post by jeff6286 »

Big update just happened, lots of US scores in now.

https://quest.quizzing.com/#/season/100016/quiz/100232
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Congratulations to Steven Perry on his excellent showing though am a bit bummed that he was within touching distance of bringing us the trophy. He continues to prove that there is a lot of daylight between him and anyone else in this part of the world.

Part-1 was brutal and some of the History/Culture questions required deep knowledge of specific areas of the world.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Agreed with the others...Part 1 was harsh, and that also seemed to be the consensus among the others at our venue...those of us who were there last year as well were commenting at halftime as to how this year's test was so much tougher. I was quite relieved at the end of the second half to realize that I had not suddenly lost my edge over the course of one year. Of course, that does not excuse a couple of inexcusable brain-cramps...or a couple of 50/50 guesses that went wrong. (We won't talk about the "pull-it-out-of-your-butt" guesses that paid off, of course...yeah, there was no doubt in my mind on those...that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...) :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Did anyone else here correctly answer the question about the Australian Aboriginal singer? That was probably my craziest get in 9 WQCs, and I can't help imagining I could have been the only American who knew it.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 am Did anyone else here correctly answer the question about the Australian Aboriginal singer? That was probably my craziest get in 9 WQCs, and I can't help imagining I could have been the only American who knew it.
Knew the band but couldn't pull the first half of the name and went with "Pingu". Close but no cigar.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew it because three years ago I decided I wanted to hear a song in a language I'd never heard (sung or spoken) before, and figured that Aboriginal languages were a good place to start. I did a Wikipedia search that gave me a short list, and after a couple of people whose voices only survive in Lomax-style anthropological recordings, I came across him. I put his name into YouTube a couple more times over the years, and then in August last year I found out he had died.

I gave a full name (English name + given name + Yunupingu) because although I knew that it's Aboriginal tradition not to refer to a deceased person by their given name, I couldn't remember what he's called now. (That was the "Dr. G" among the alternative answers.)
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 am I knew it because three years ago I decided I wanted to hear a song in a language I'd never heard (sung or spoken) before, and figured that Aboriginal languages were a good place to start. I did a Wikipedia search that gave me a short list, and after a couple of people whose voices only survive in Lomax-style anthropological recordings, I came across him. I put his name into YouTube a couple more times over the years, and then in August last year I found out he had died.

I gave a full name (English name + given name + Yunupingu) because although I knew that it's Aboriginal tradition not to refer to a deceased person by their given name, I couldn't remember what he's called now. (That was the "Dr. G" among the alternative answers.)
Definitely a well-deserved point!