Monday, June 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Motorcycles (1), The End of "It" (2), Designer Initials (1), Lookin' Back Texas (3), Mama Tried (4), Country Songs (5)
Disaster Artists (4), Country Facts (3), Hail Hydro (2), Movies of "Wonder" (3), Novel's Subtitle (3), The Old 3,4 (3)

Lach Trash: Victoria Woodhull, Wonder Wheel; Daily Double: Remington

The only pairs that came to mind were checks/balances, and church/state, but ultimately I didn't think any of them were correct.

Nice belt, Buzzy!
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't know, and it does seem surprising, that Franklin used the phrase in such a serious context - nor does it tend to jibe with his less certain remark that we had "a republic - if you can keep it." But the clue was calling for a comparison to 2 things that last, so I didn't have any trouble coming up with the right famous response...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Loved Buzzy's belt.

Yes, I ran Classic Country Songs. Also ran End of "It".

NHO "Scarsdale diet".

Didn't see any TOM for Norway in Country for $400.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: Waltzing Matilda
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:43 pm
Lach Trash: Waltzing Matilda
I was a little surprised that one was a TS.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote: I'm surprised they just took "Booth" considering all the Booth brothers were actors.
Kind of sloppy for Alex to accept "Love" for Love Field so quickly.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:25 pm Trying to come up with something positive to say about FJ because we all want the three contestants to come here and offer their thoughts.

They all wagered positive numbers.
Haha, well said. On a positive note, it's nice of the trio to present the viewers a masterclass on how not to wager.

That being said, I hate the wording of the FJ clue. I had "death and taxes" in mind, but "relates the durability to" made me think he was using those two as a metric, which at least one of the contestants did, too. "compared the durability to" likely would have been a get for me, instead.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm
econgator wrote: I'm surprised they just took "Booth" considering all the Booth brothers were actors.
Kind of sloppy for Alex to accept "Love" for Love Field so quickly.
Why? I can't think of any other airports with a similar name.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:44 pm I'm surprised they accepted just Ethel Rosenberg's last name given that Julius was mentioned in the clue.
Me too. I'm guessing that Alex was distracted enough by "Rosenbaum" that he forgot about specificity when the rebound came.

Total blank on FJ for me, instaget for my dad. I feel like Franklin was more contrasting than comparing.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

44 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Victoria Woodhull, Stephen Austin, Outwit, (Frederic Remington), Henri Rousseau, Waltzing Matilda

Ran Art Disaster, Country Facts, and possibly another category that I can't remember.

Mixed up Microchip with Microprocessor. :oops:

Henri Rousseau a toughie? You had Nicolaus Poussin and Francois Boucher earlier this season.

Got Blood Meridian thanks to spending a couple hours on the Jeopardy! Archive this morning. :D
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 pm Mixed up Microchip with Microprocessor. :oops:
Did you guess Intel? I wonder how many forgot the category and guessed Intel...I know I would've...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Instaget FJ in a parallel universe where "checks and balances" is the correct response. I don't think there are any taxes in the Constitution, and very little death (but lots of life and liberty) so I just never would have put this association together. Not a good clue, imho - but was no problem for several boardies so the writers know what they are doing.

Twelvefootgirl was an early adopter in the urban chicken fad when we lived in the suburbs 17 years ago. Liz will enjoy them - they are much less maintenance than a dog. Just don't own a rooster - the crowing gets old and they don't respect the #metoo movement :lol:

Yeah, the betting.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

This is bizarre. I thought FJ would be a triple-get and could not believe it was in fact a triple-stumper. I fully expected to come here and everyone would be saying they couldn't believe no one got it right. How wrong I was.

For the record I didn't know Franklin's original quote referred to the Constitution.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Another "checks and balances" here. I read "relates" as "makes a connection to" (like, they're the reason for it) rather than "compares".

I've never seen a second of Survivor, but I got "outwit". And Tom Traubert's Blues (etc.) is one of my favorite songs, so of course I got Waltzing Matilda. I remembered Remington from previous episodes too.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 am This is bizarre. I thought FJ would be a triple-get and could not believe it was in fact a triple-stumper. I fully expected to come here and everyone would be saying they couldn't believe no one got it right. How wrong I was.

For the record I didn't know Franklin's original quote referred to the Constitution.
It seems to be a little over 50% here, so take under 60% for the poll. I call it a red ink final when those of us who missed it may have been helped by crossing out a lot of words and leaving just "Benjamin Franklin" & "2 things."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 am It seems to be a little over 50% here, so take under 60% for the poll. I call it a red ink final when those of us who missed it may have been helped by crossing out a lot of words and leaving just "Benjamin Franklin" & "2 things."
What are a kite and a key?

(Also, I was disappointed that the response of "What is love?" was not accompanied by a "...baby, don't hurt me".)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:55 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 pm Mixed up Microchip with Microprocessor. :oops:
Did you guess Intel? I wonder how many forgot the category and guessed Intel...I know I would've...
I considered Dell, which is a Texas company (though I didn't know that at the time).
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 am This is bizarre. I thought FJ would be a triple-get and could not believe it was in fact a triple-stumper. I fully expected to come here and everyone would be saying they couldn't believe no one got it right. How wrong I was.
Even though I got it wrong, I can understand why you would be surprised. If you parse the question correctly and correctly decipher the awkward "relays the durability of", it become very simple indeed.

On an unrelated note, my girlfriend became unreasonably excited when she heard a chicken coop, because she also wants one. Even if I DON'T win 5 Jeopardy games in a row.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Gentlemen: If Leslie bets to cover (like she did) she will have 599 on a miss. You think you might want to stay above that figure? Tommy: If Ian doubles that is 22000. If you bet 10000 or 10001 you play tomorrow. Ian: Lots of choices although the farm should not be one of them.
What you have written is on page 1 of "FJ! Wagering 101." So of course these guys didn't have a clue. Wow. Three awful wagers.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 pm I thought death and taxes seemed strange within the context given, but I knew it was a Franklin quote and had nothing better, so...
I thought the wording of the clue was somewhere between very odd and totally misleading. And I, like you, got the correct answer only because of knowing the quote.

Most often, the quote is left unfinished. In its entirety:

In this life the only certain things are death and taxes. And death is preferable because nobody comes after you a year later to audit you.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This game was absolutely unique for me in one respect. I got one and only one correct answer on a TS (not including FJ), $400 on the Stephen F. Austin clue. But that $400, plus my sole get on FJ!, plus all the bad wagering, allowed me to win this game from the fourth podium with a whopping score of $800. uh, wow.